PDA

View Full Version : Young runs a "slow" 40 @ UT's Pro Workout

Adidas410s
03-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Quarterback Vince Young was timed in 4.58 seconds in the 40-yard dash Wednesday on what is considered a fast track at the University of Texas in Austin, one NFL scout told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. The scout said Young's time was slower than anticipated. According to the same scout, Young's overall workout was "fairly impressive," but the scout believed that Young was not asked to make certain drops and throws that he would have to perform in a private team workout. Young's pro workout Wednesday, which was open to all NFL teams, was run by Jerry Rhome, a former NFL quarterback and assistant coach.

Young's projected NFL draft position received a major boost after he led Texas to the BCS Championship in January with one of the great all-time individual performances in college football history.

kepdawg
03-22-2006, 06:03 PM
They just said on SportsCenter that he hadn't planned on running today.

injuredinmelee
03-22-2006, 06:17 PM
They say Ahmard Hall really tore it up though today. Some say he tested his way into the draft.

Adidas410s
03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

what's that you say??? USCPN was "pro-Texas" today??? :p

Gobbla2001
03-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
what's that you say??? USCPN was "pro-Texas" today??? :p

No, they're just "pro-sell"...

Adidas410s
03-22-2006, 07:36 PM
here is a list of QB's with faster times than Radio:

Reggie McNeal, Texas A&M, 4.35...MAY be a late pick as a QB

Marcus Vick, Va. Tech, 4.42...will be LUCKY if anybody drafts him

Brad Smith, Missouri, 4.46...a solid 2nd-day pick...minimal projected impact as a QB

D.J. Shockley, Georgia, 4.56...getting more looks as a WR than a QB

Barrick Nealy, Texas St., 4.57...probably the best NFL potential as a QB out of any of the aforementioned players

Hupernikomen
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

Is he faster on days when he knows he is about to run?

Surely he had a chance to stretch and what not.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Is he faster on days when he knows he is about to run?

Surely he had a chance to stretch and what not.

Still, he wasn't mentally prepared. Wouldn't you want to be prepared and know the day you were going to run 40 yards that could mean the difference between 3rd pick and 13th, and millions of dollars in a contract?

turbostud
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Here is a video from the event. It lasts about 3 min and includes VY running at the end.

Link (http://www.statesman.com/news/mplayer/m/2909)

STANG RED
03-22-2006, 08:04 PM
I think its a non issue at best. Its just something to talk about. A 4.58 is still very fast. I dont see it either hurting or helping him in any way. A 4.4 might have helped a little, and a 4.6 might have hurt him just a little, but I just dont see how this will have any impact at all as to his draft position or expected pay check. If a team is seriously looking at him as a QB, it means nothing. If they want him as a WR, it has a little more meaning. I dont know, but I'd bet Michael Irvin never even ran a 4.58, and he seemed to do pretty well in the NFL.

wedo
03-22-2006, 08:16 PM
i don't think that it matters ! If a 4.58 is slow then why couldn't anyone catch him most of the time. He is to good to let that effect him and every scout knows that.

Does anybody know if it is do late to pull your name out the draft?

kepdawg
03-22-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't know how he was timed, but ESPN did say he was timed from 4.49 to 4.58. I really don't see the .09 making a big difference in his draft stock. Overall everyone I have seen speak from ESPN today thought very highly of his workout.

Adidas410s
03-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by wedo
i don't think that it matters ! If a 4.58 is slow then why couldn't anyone catch him most of the time. He is to good to let that effect him and every scout knows that.

Does anybody know if it is do late to pull your name out the draft?

Once he signs with an agent he can no longer pull out of the draft.

injuredinmelee
03-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
here is a list of QB's with faster times than Radio:

Reggie McNeal, Texas A&M, 4.35...MAY be a late pick as a QB

Marcus Vick, Va. Tech, 4.42...will be LUCKY if anybody drafts him

Brad Smith, Missouri, 4.46...a solid 2nd-day pick...minimal projected impact as a QB

D.J. Shockley, Georgia, 4.56...getting more looks as a WR than a QB

Barrick Nealy, Texas St., 4.57...probably the best NFL potential as a QB out of any of the aforementioned players

The one thing Vince has over all these guys is he knows how to win. Reggie, well reggie just sucks. Vick is a night on the town away from going to Shawshank. Smith couldnt win in college and wont win in the pros. He is a Aaron Brooks at best. Shockley well he might be a decent NFL qb but he will have to have time to adjust to the pro game (as will Vince). Nealy well there is a reason he was playing at Texas State. Not saying he isnt good but id rather have the guy from Sam Houston State chasing me than someone from the big 12.

Vince should have stayed one more year. That or he should have hired better representation. The family lawyer that is representing him has no idea what he is doing. Ricky Williams mother has warned Vince to let the real agents that have been in the shark bowl handle everything. Look what happened to Ricky when he let Master P negotiate his first contract. It was an incentive laden joke. He could have had the Saints by the throat after all they threw away to draft him. Ok enough rambling.

Hupernikomen
03-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Still, he wasn't mentally prepared. Wouldn't you want to be prepared and know the day you were going to run 40 yards that could mean the difference between 3rd pick and 13th, and millions of dollars in a contract?

I would hope he went into the workout prepared to perform. I don't think his time would have been much different if he knew beforehand or not. As long as he had time to stretch and warm-up. If anything not stressing over it might have helped. Sub 4.6 is still a very fast time for a man of his size. A tad faster than say Marino, Aikman, Moon, and Montana.

I am interested to see how he does in the pro passing drills on the deep routes. That is gonna be what determines his future. He obviously has the speed and agility that would make any Head Coach happy for a QB to have.

Adidas410s
03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

Hold up...he didn't run at the combine...and he wasn't planning to run at the UT Pro Day??? When was he planning on running his 40 times for the scouts? Yes he COULD have run in his private workouts but those workouts are more geared toward teams testing your skills and not your physical abilities. That just sounds like a bad excuse to try and cover up for a mediocore (considering the expectations) time.

Dogman_1969
03-23-2006, 07:58 PM
One thing about football and speed. Some have 40 yd track speed and some have football speed. Very few have both. I don't remember anyone getting close to catching VY.

He can and will play on the next level. some guys are just winners and he is just that.

Old Tiger
03-23-2006, 08:01 PM
nm