PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stand?

Rabbit'93
03-15-2003, 12:40 PM
This is not meant to start anything, but just out of curiousity....Where do you stand on the war with Iraq. For or against. And maybe tell why. I consider all downlower's my friends so I will respect any and all opinions.

Me personally, I'm for anything that will send a message to whomever, saying that we are not gonna sit around and let you hit us when we aren't looking. Too many people around the world are jealous of who we are and what we have in this country.

Who cares what anyone outside of these 50 states thinks. I think its about time we started looking out for our best interests anyway.

I do not agree with killing innocent people. but i do know that its inevitable in war that innocents will die. This may be cold, however, but better there than here.

I stand behind my military, my leaders, my flag, and my country. Maybe I learned those values playing ball. You trust that your coaches will make the right decisions and your teammates will execute. You learn what pride is, respect, and you gladly give yourself up for something else. Maybe all these "hollywood" types shoulda played texas high school football.

Just my opinion.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

big daddy russ
03-15-2003, 01:27 PM
After 9-11, I don't want to imagine what could happen if we allow a country like Iraq to build up their military (see suicide bombers) and make a first strike against us. We've given Iraq what, 12 years now to disarm and they still haven't done it.

Back in the 1930's, the Germans still had heavy restrictions imposed against their military from WWI to keep them from building up their forces. But Hitler took office and began a massive military buildup in '33 and we all know what happened after that. Instead of going in and stopping it cold they decided that the signing of a couple of peace treaties would keep them out of hot water. The French forces could have stopped it early but were too afraid that it would start another World War.

Look at what that fear cost them. Another World War.

The way I see it, we're in the same predicament right now. Hussein, like Hitler, has made all these promises and signed all these treaties but hasn't followed through and now has as large an army and as much equipment as he did when he struck Kuwait. This time, though, I think he has a bigger target in mind.

In my personal opinion, we need to stop it now.

FBmania
03-15-2003, 07:42 PM
I stand behind President Bush 100%. I can tolerate different opinions but when people like the Dixie Chicks speak out and say they are ashamed that the president is from Texas.... well no apology will matter now,I hope the chicks never sell another cd.

sinfan75
03-16-2003, 02:23 AM
If any one remembers after 9/11,President Bush said he would wage war against terrorism and any country that supports and harbors terrorists.Iraq is a known supporter of terrorism so there you have it.As far as the Dixie Chicks go,it's one thing to oppose the war,but to bash the President is stupid.He no more wants to send our troops in to battle than any protester does.The difference is he knows it has to be done.I'm damn glad that Bush is President and damn proud he's from Texas!!

Ranger Mom
03-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Amen 75, I am VERY proud to be from Midland, Texas, (Bush's childhood home). I have always been a fan of the Dixie Chicks, but I am ashamed to be from the same state as Natalie Maines!!

sinton66
03-16-2003, 05:20 PM
All of you are reasonably minded people. We all know what type of person Hussein is. We've all seen the news about how he gassed Iran and the Kurds. We saw what he did in Kuwait. We're in the mess that we're in BECAUSE we didn't finish the job the first time. We didn't finish it because we listened to the other diplomats from around the globe, and look where that got us. He no more intends to disarm than Hitler did. While it may be true that "fools rush in", IDIOTS wait until it's too late! I think our government is right, either the US steps in and stops him now or the whole world will have to later at a much higher cost in human lives.

<small>[ March 16, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

turbostud
03-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Rangermom, Tommy Franks is also from Midland. In case you dont know who he is, he is leading our troops over there. = to Norman Schwarzkof

SINTON81
03-18-2003, 09:32 AM
I to am behind President Bush. Hussein will not hesitate to sell or give these wepons to
terrorist who will use them on the U.S.

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: SINTON81 ]</small>

HotDawg89
03-18-2003, 11:27 AM
sinton66:
All of you are reasonably minded people. We all know what type of person Hussein is. We've all seen the news about how he gassed Iran and the Kurds. We saw what he did in Kuwait. We're in the mess that we're in BECAUSE we didn't finish the job the first time. We didn't finish it because we listened to the other diplomats from around the globe, and look where that got us. He no more intends to disarm than Hitler did. While it may be true that "fools rush in", IDIOTS wait until it's too late! I think our government is right, either the US steps in and stops him now or the whole world will have to later at a much higher cost in human lives.I do agree with this post, almost to a "t"...and I will probably catch hell from what I am about to say, but I've also got mixed feelings. . . here it goes...

While this is an issue we can't avoid, I want to point out that there are about 11 or 12 other countries who are telling us not to do this right now. Because it is not the answer we wanted, we have left their opinions out there like they are trash, and made it clear to them that we are going to do what we want to with or without them. What concerns me is the damage that this decision to go forward has on our relations with the other countries who are in total opposition of this war. In essense, we are like a teen-ager who only asked to borrow the car out of habit, and when the parent said "no" they took it anyway and to hell with the consequences.

The other thing that gets me so upset is the 9/11 thing. This is not about 9/11. Saddam probably has links to terrorism, it's no surprise he hates America, but it is Osama we should blame for 9/11. Let's not get the two things confused. Saddam is another problem entirely, but what are we doing about Osama Bin Laden while we stress about Saddam- we should have been focusing on Saddam a long time ago- now suddenly he is a "new threat?" And what about the North Korea problem? They now have long range nuclear weapons, and we are not addressing that?

Bottom line is, we have a lot of fish to fry, and alienating our allies is like frying those fish with 1 tsp of butter versus a whole vat of oil.

Let me be clear, that I agree, we must disarm him- and I am total support of our troops and of our president.

All of our troops are in my prayers- I have a lot of friends over there now(my husband is prior military and a Gulf War vet who suffers from some of the GWS symptoms), and my brother in law just got back from 9 months in Afganistan, was re-assigned to Fort Hood and is waiting to deploy to Iraq as we speak. He has seen his family for only 1 week.

There is more to this war than being pissed off about 9/11.

Billy Boy
03-18-2003, 12:07 PM
WE don't owe the world anything. We payed our dues with blood.
Now it's time to rid the world of people who are willing to kill innocent people.

Jacket2000
03-18-2003, 04:36 PM
HotDawg89:

sinton66:
All of you are reasonably minded people. We all know what type of person Hussein is. We've all seen the news about how he gassed Iran and the Kurds. We saw what he did in Kuwait. We're in the mess that we're in BECAUSE we didn't finish the job the first time. We didn't finish it because we listened to the other diplomats from around the globe, and look where that got us. He no more intends to disarm than Hitler did. While it may be true that "fools rush in", IDIOTS wait until it's too late! I think our government is right, either the US steps in and stops him now or the whole world will have to later at a much higher cost in human lives.I do agree with this post, almost to a "t"...and I will probably catch hell from what I am about to say, but I've also got mixed feelings. . . here it goes...

While this is an issue we can't avoid, I want to point out that there are about 11 or 12 other countries who are telling us not to do this right now. Because it is not the answer we wanted, we have left their opinions out there like they are trash, and made it clear to them that we are going to do what we want to with or without them. What concerns me is the damage that this decision to go forward has on our relations with the other countries who are in total opposition of this war. In essense, we are like a teen-ager who only asked to borrow the car out of habit, and when the parent said "no" they took it anyway and to hell with the consequences.

The other thing that gets me so upset is the 9/11 thing. This is not about 9/11. Saddam probably has links to terrorism, it's no surprise he hates America, but it is Osama we should blame for 9/11. Let's not get the two things confused. Saddam is another problem entirely, but what are we doing about Osama Bin Laden while we stress about Saddam- we should have been focusing on Saddam a long time ago- now suddenly he is a "new threat?" And what about the North Korea problem? They now have long range nuclear weapons, and we are not addressing that?

Bottom line is, we have a lot of fish to fry, and alienating our allies is like frying those fish with 1 tsp of butter versus a whole vat of oil.

Let me be clear, that I agree, we must disarm him- and I am total support of our troops and of our president.

All of our troops are in my prayers- I have a lot of friends over there now(my husband is prior military and a Gulf War vet who suffers from some of the GWS symptoms), and my brother in law just got back from 9 months in Afganistan, was re-assigned to Fort Hood and is waiting to deploy to Iraq as we speak. He has seen his family for only 1 week.

There is more to this war than being pissed off about 9/11.This war has very little, if anything, to do with 9/11. I know that many people are using it as a battlecry, but they are misinformed. Yes, it is believed that Saddam has links to terrorist organizations, but that's the only link that this war has to the War on Terrorism. 9/11 is simply an example of what happens when things like this are ignored. Bin Laden was a known threat throughout the Clinton administration, yet he did nothing. On 9/11, we found out what happens when you let sleeping dogs lie. Saddam agreed to disarm 12 years ago and he showed no signs of doing so untill the US put some heat on him. But, even then it was mostly just lip service. So, now not only do we know that he is a threat to the US, but we also know that his word is worthless. So, he has to go. Unfortunately, he isn't nearly as big of a threat to many of the other UN nations, so they dont see the rush.
As for North Korea, I dont think they are nearly as big of a threat as they make themselves out to be. But, I agree that we need to nip that in the bud, and Im sure that it's on the agenda.
J2K

sinton66
03-18-2003, 10:50 PM
HotDawg89, this may not be any consolation to you, but I wouldn't worry about our standing with the UN when this is over. I can assure you that without the US, there is no UN. We as a country shoulder 70 to 75 percent of the burden for the UN both in finances and manpower. We always have. France has their own self centered reasons for the deliberate veto they threatened. Saddam Hussein is their biggest customer for their fighter jets. They also have an extensive oil contract with him. The other nations that are nay-saying all have their own selfish reasons. All I have to say about that is they better pray America has a short memory the next time their ass is on the line.

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Billy Boy
03-18-2003, 10:56 PM
sinton66:
HotDawg89, this may not be any consolation to you, but I wouldn't worry about our standing with the UN when this is over. I can assure you that without the US, there is no UN. We as a country shoulder 70 to 75 percent of the burden for the UN both in finances and manpower. We always have. France has their own self centered reasons for the deliberate veto they threatened. Saddam Hussein is their biggest customer for their fighter jets. They also have an extensive oil contract with him. The other nations that are nay-saying all have their own selfish reasons. All I have to say about that is they better pray America has a short memory the next time their ass is on the line.I couldn't said it any better. I agree 100%.

HotDawg89
03-19-2003, 12:37 PM
I love that! Thanks Sinton66- I appreciate those words, I think you are correct. It makes you wonder what else France has sold to them doesn't it? I think we are going to find out that the French have been selling a few too many things to Iraq once we get in there and have a look at their weapons more closely. Should be interesting. The French have always been weenies anyway. I hear we are getting more and more quiet support from other countries, but that they are not willing to send any of thier troops. They'd probably only be in the way anyhow. wink

Rabbit'93
03-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Heard that France would back us IF Iraq uses chemical weapons on coalition forces. What I can't understand is that back when the UN voted on the disarmament of Iraq, all nations voted for. Now that the day of reckoning has come, several of these countries don't have the backbone to back their previous stance.

On the same token all of these "American Hating" countries are the first one's in line when crap falls apart in their own pathetic land. Like 66 said, these governments better hope for amnesia on our part should they ever need aid from us in the future.

GO USA

sinton66
03-19-2003, 06:34 PM
On the subject of what else France sold them, they sold them a nuclear reactor (allegedly for a power plant)a few years back. Israel promptly bombed it to dust in the interest of self preservation.

Phil C
03-20-2003, 11:33 AM
I read on the news about some of the Arabs that said they would fight for Iraq because they are so mad at the USA. It reminded me of a Coach Paul Bryant story I head on ESPN once when Coach Bryant was at Kentucky. One of the players (I think they said his name was Bob Gaines) was upset with Coach Bryant and the followin happened:

Player: "I've had it! I'm quitting! and I'm going to whip Coach Bryant!"

So the players goes and knocks loudly on Coach Bryant's office door. The Coach answers the door and asks sternly: "What do you want?"

The players asks very meekly: "Coach I just wanted to know if I could go home for Christmas would that be all right?"

The Coach answers with his voice softening: "Why sure Bob."

Ladykat5
03-22-2003, 09:12 PM
The way I see it is that President Bush wouldnt go to war for no reason. He wouldnt want to risk lives or waste money. I hear people on the news say they dont understand why we are going to war, they say if we can have strong weapons then they should be able to also. I think that President Bush has a very good reason for each of his decisions and that he doesnt let some things out into the media so that he wont scare anyone. I think we are safe until Bush send out a real threat. He knows what is going on. God bless. GO KENNEDALE!!! :)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-22-2003, 11:55 PM
I know this may offend some people on here, but i'll say it. I'M A DEMOCRAT!!!! Now, before you all start calling me a "liberal freak", my views are not FAR left, i'm right down the middle. However, I really don't care one way or the other about the war. Personally I don't like war, and don't like the idea that it's the U.S. that's doing it. But now that they've gone in and done it, I just hope it ends quickly and decisively, and they bring back Saddam's head on a platter.

On the flip side, I really hope that Bush attacking Iraq doesn't open up a whole other can of worms. (ie situation with Turkey, and Iran offended for U.S. flying over their airspace) I often wonder if there REALLY ARE "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq, and if it turns out that there weren't any, it would make the U.S. and Britain look like the biggest bullies and dumb asses in the world, and Lord only knows what other nations we'll end up pissing off.

I fully understand the arguments from both sides. I do agree fully that Iraq is a potential threat, however, it did seem that Bush was literally fishing for an excuse to attack Iraq. Besides, there was NO MENTION of "regime change" prior to the war, at least from what I heard on the news prior to the war. All the news I was hearing prior to the war was of the weapons inspectors. I never heard of any DEFINITE PROOF on any news network that weapons inspectors found weapons of mass destruction.

Who knows, I may be slightly mis-informed, or may have missed some key information. That's just what I know.

Chris Hart
03-23-2003, 12:41 AM
I personally don't think Bush was fishing for an excuse to attack Iraq, because IMO that fish was hooked 12 years ago. He hooked the same fish his daddy hooked, I just hope Jr. doesn't believe in the catch and release, sorry but this fish needs to hit the pan.

Keith7
03-23-2003, 02:08 AM
I'm behind Pres. Bush 100%, I believe that Saddam Hussain is a terrorist of the worst kind and it was a good move to take him out of power before it was too late..
but I saw this anti-war website, i thought was kinda interesting.. incase u wanna check it out, www.whatreallyhappened.com (http://www.whatreallyhappened.com)

ProudMama
03-24-2003, 12:13 AM
I say Hurrah for President Bush!!!! Finally we have someone who is willing to stand up for the USA. Saw a line from Def. Sec. Rumsfeld that said, "Going to war without France is like going to war without an accordion".