PDA

View Full Version : A dozen D-I prospects at Gilmer...

big daddy russ
03-22-2006, 01:45 PM
...and another one possibly on the way.

oh well
03-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Will they be the big School?

Manck
03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah. They've finally eclipsed Gladewater while in 3A. Last time Gilmer had a bigger enrollment than Gladewater was in 1997-8 when Gilmer was in 4A.

oh well
03-22-2006, 02:00 PM
I was hoping so

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
...and another one possibly on the way.

Of these 12 recruits...how many were
born and raised in or near Gilmer?

lostaussie
03-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Manck do you have any info on the situation. in reading the thread on Smoaky, i certainly didn't read where Kinne himself was interested in transferring to gilmer. sounded more like some idle minds wondering what if "this was to happen". and then theres the guy who says Kinne is visiting on monday. heck i didn't know we had become a division 1 college. my feeling is that it all just a bunch of crap.

Manck
03-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Manck do you have any info on the situation. in reading the thread on Smoaky, i certainly didn't read where Kinne himself was interested in transferring to gilmer. sounded more like some idle minds wondering what if "this was to happen". and then theres the guy who says Kinne is visiting on monday. heck i didn't know we had become a division 1 college. my feeling is that it all just a bunch of crap.
Mom called earlier, and a student told her that he SAW GJK at Gilmer High TODAY, and is slated to enroll in Gilmer on Monday.

I have NO IDEA how valid these claims are, and neither does mom. This is just hearsay. But I sure wouldn't mind if that were to happen.

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2006, 02:11 PM
12 D 1 recruits at a 3A school. The UIL
would be investigating such a thing.

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2006, 02:12 PM
And know I ain't hating on Gilmer. But,
really...

lostaussie
03-22-2006, 02:15 PM
they are all born and bred right here. the sophmore class has been watched since about 6th grade. just a tremendous group of athletes. and we didn't say there were a dozen. rivals.com pinned that on us.

BullFrog Dad
03-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
would be investigating such a thing. So would SL Carroll.

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 02:19 PM

SW Red....I am not an authority on East Texas athletes, but I will say that Tatum, Van, and Gilmer have had a tremendous number of legitimate D1 prospects in the past few years. Years before that it was always Atlanta, Daingerfield, and Pittsburgh. I don't know what is in that East Texas piney woods water---but I want to "import" some.

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2006, 02:24 PM
If it is legitimate. Then, thank goodness
they're big school. I mean we went to
the semi's with one legitimate D 1
prospect. If that is the kind of competiton
we're going to be facing in Region 2 then
I guess Region 1 is in trouble again next
school year.

nutcrackin
03-22-2006, 02:26 PM
http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=518868

Manck
03-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, mostly, it involves coaching and discipline.

No offense to anyone who is a fan of coach Mullins, who is now at Cameron Yoe (if I remember correctly), but the discipline that Traylor has established THROUGHOUT the GISD athletic program was non-existent previously.

I did not participate in the team sports at Gilmer after junior high because of this attitude. Superior athletes were given maximum attention, while thouse of us that wanted to succeed, but needed a little more help were pretty much left to lag behind and always be B-teamers, spares, what have you.

I WAS a varsity athlete, as I lettered in tennis for three years. I was a joke of a player, winning only one match in those three seasons. I participated heavily in other activities that had leaders that pushed participants to success (band, academic competitions, something else probably).

I remember watching my classmates on the varsity sports in my junior year (1999-2000) act as if the game was just a game, and nothing after high school would come of it. Traylor got the job in 2000.

The athletes were DEFINITELY there. The crop of kids that graduated while I attended GHS may have been even better athletes in some respects than some of the kids there currently. If Traylor, or someone similar to him, had been coaching at GHS the last 10 years, it would probably be a safe wager that you might see a Gilmer athlete in the professional ranks.

But Traylor has instilled an attitude of success there. Not just on the the football field. Not just in the rest of the sports, but throughout the school.

Academically, and in the arts, GHS has always been pretty successful. Athletically, there's no reason at all that they shouldn't have been. But there's an attitude there that makes everyone want to succeed everywhere ever since Traylor's been around.

So as far as I'm concerned, there's no conspiracy or anything like that.

nutcrackin
03-22-2006, 02:27 PM
For those who don't subscribed to Rivals100.com this is one of the many articles...pre Kinne and all raised in Gilmer. A good coach is worth his weight.

Common names around the recruiting world are being heard about from Gilmer, Texas like Texas commit Curtis Brown and 2008 stars Justin Johnson, Justin Fielden, and David Snow. Don't forget about 2007 star linebacker Dominique Buchanan, who is rapidly picking up offers.

The first three written offers have come in from Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Mississippi State. One of those schools has emerged as the early leader for his services.

"OSU, I've got pretty high interest in them," Buchanan said. "I can't really say why, I just recently started watching them and liking them. I don't really know how to describe it actually. They're just kind of my favorite."

Even with a leader, Buchanan says he's going to get out and about to check out some other college campuses. Camps this summer will provide that opportunity.

"I'm going to make it to OSU for their camp, but also Kansas State and the Oklahoma camp as well," Buchanan said. "There are a lot of other colleges out there sending me stuff like Oregon and Colorado, so we'll see what I make it to."

Buchanan started for Gilmer as a sophomore as a backup running back and linebacker. Eventually, he became a fulltime defensive player at the linebacker position. His coaches have helped him realize his potential.

"They're always on me about stuff," Buchanan said about his coaches. "That's in a good way."

Buchanan also admits that with a high profile list of recruiting targets all at this school, it's not just about their talents. Past players like Oklahoma receiver Manuel Johnson, Mississippi State signee Tay Bowser and athlete Kevin Hollis all brought coaches to school which has continued through the years.

"They brought them in and the recruiters came coming for them," he said. "So those guys like Manuel and Kevin Hollis started this. They just told us to keep our grades up and stay out of trouble. That's why I'm focusing so much on my grades."

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 02:27 PM
If it is legitimate. Then, thank goodness
they're big school. I mean we went to
the semi's with one legitimate D 1
prospect. If that is the kind of competiton
we're going to be facing in Region 2 then
I guess Region 1 is in trouble again next
school year.

Well, Sw Red, you've been around Texas high school football long enough to know that having D1 prospects on your team means you should win.

nutcrackin
03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
March 1, 2006

Matt Malatesta
Recruiting Analyst

The comparisons are there. He's got the same physical attributes and facial features. They have even been linked as distant cousins.

Rivals.com
Justin Johnson, only a sophomore, is drawing big time comparisons to several great runners.
While he's only entering his junior season, Gilmer running back Justin Johnson is being mentioned in the same breath as Oklahoma star Adrian Peterson. The comparisons are scary.

The 6-foot-3, 210 pound Johnson has physically dominated at the high school level. He started on defense and special teams early in 2005, before moving to running back where he averaged nearly 10 yards per carry.

"It's an honor to be compared to Adrian Peterson," Johnson said. "We've become friends because I've been over to Oklahoma a few times to see my cousin and teammate Manuel Johnson. AD is from East Texas, so we have that and a lot of other things in common.

"I think he's the greatest college football running back I've ever seen, but when I met him I was surprised to see that I was a big as he was," he said. "At that point I thought to myself that I will be here (in college) one day and hope to pass his accomplishments up."

On his 2006 Rivals.com questionnaire he defines his play as "violent." That was evident on a special teams play earlier this season where he knocked out a return man, earning him the "Hit of the Year" in Deep East Texas.

"I'm a physical player but play with sportsmanship," Johnson replied. "I'm not out to hurt anybody. I just love to play the game."

His physical features and exploits on the field have drawn early attention from colleges, such as Oklahoma and Texas.

"Justin has been exposed to college coaches because of his teammates," Johnson's guardian Todd Robison said. "Manuel got him interested in Oklahoma and Curtis Brown, who recently committed to Texas, sleeps about 10-feet away from Justin. It's the Red River Rivalry, right here in my house.

"He was one of two sophomore invited to the Texas Junior Day last weekend, and was also on hand in Norman for their Junior Day several weeks ago. He's been to both schools' summer camps as well."

Gilmer, Texas is a small town of just over 5,000 people surrounded by towns like Ore City, Big Sandy, Union Grove and East Mountain. Like most small East Texas towns, high school football is life.

Rivals.com
Justin's cousin, Manuel Johnson was another star to come out of Gilmer.
Coach Jeff Traylor is a Gilmer-native who returned to his hometown to coach and change lives. Traylor went to Stephen F. Austin and walked onto the football team. After graduating from SFA, he coached at Big Sandy, before taking a position at Jacksonville, where he coached Josh and Luke McCown under current Tyler ISD Athletic Director, Danny Long.

Upon getting the head job at Gilmer, Traylor challenged some of his old high-school teammates and friends to support his efforts in the community.

Robison was one of those guys. An international business executive who moved back to his home town after an assignment in Europe, Robison came back to Gilmer and found many of his high school teammates on Traylor's coaching staff.

Naturally, he wanted to help with some of the kids in any way he could. It didn't hurt that he has a 270-acre ranch that could be a safe haven for several athletes passing through the program.

"When Jeff became the head coach in Gilmer, it was like we had keys to the field house again," Robison said about his return home. "Jeff told us how some of the kids in Gilmer really needed help and told us to come back and see for ourselves.

"He challenged us and there was a group of us who had played together in the 80's in Gilmer who really responded. We wanted to help."

The community responded and in a big way around the theme of family.

"This is our town," Robison said. "And this was not going to happen in our town. We all went to school in this town and we are united for this football team. Everybody at the barbershop or the grocery store wore the 'G' on their helmet. We all did two-a-days and won games together. From that collective experience, there is a tremendous amount of respect for each other and a connection in the community that transcends race, creed and economic conditions.

"We grew up like brothers, so it wasn't difficult for us to unite like a family again behind these kids. They are all our kids."

Over the past five years, Gilmer football has been restored by a unifying coach and a proud community with the common link of Friday night football madness. Gilmer won the Class 3A state championship in 2004, but fell last year to Canton High and quarterback G.J. Kinne in the third round of the playoffs, 61-58.

Gilmer will most likely be favored to win state in 2006 with Curtis Brown at receiver and Johnson at running back, not to mention the other dozen D-1 prospects in this small 3A program.

"I love it around here in East Texas," the prospect Johnson said. "There is some serious talent here and our guys really love each other. We hang out together all the time, fish together. We are bonded like a family. We keep each other out of trouble - we even push each other to make better grades.

"There is a support system here and you know people are always there that have your back."

If not for the local daily paper and the interstate running through it, Gilmer seems like a throw-back fantasyland where time stood still - a town from a simpler and better time.

On a clipboard are Johnson's goals. Of course he wants to win another state championship, but he also wants to do the unthinkable.

"I want to break Tommy Palmer's rushing record," he said. "I want that record."

Blasphemy. Palmer rushed for 1,868 yards in 1984 before playing for Jim Wacker at TCU.

"In Gilmer, you don't get much bigger than Tommy Palmer," Johnson's guardian Robison said. "He's a legend, but I think that Justin can do it. They are the exact same type of runner. People who see Justin play are reminded of Tommy."

Nicknamed the "bus", Johnson is prepared for the next two seasons at Gilmer and the recruiting process. It seems that it will be a war between Texas and Oklahoma.

"I love both colleges and I want to play somewhere where I know people," the talented Johnson said. "Manuel and Curtis are family to me. They will play a part in my decision."

For now he will work out, attend camps, and make friends with his amiable personality.

"I met J.B. Shugarts at the Texas Junior Day," he said. "He and I were the only sophomores there. He was (a) giant, so I just followed him around. I think I made a new friend. I wouldn't mind following him around on the football field in college either.

"He's planning on coming up for our first game against Canton and I'm planning on going down to Houston to see him play."

It's like a screen play -- The Big City opening doors for Big Country.

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Speaking of prospects...is Colin Jones
playing anywhere next year? If so, where?

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Speaking of prospects...is Colin Jones
playing anywhere next year? If so, where?

Yessir, SW Red...Colin will be playing for TCU next season---he will probably be converted to a DB.

nutcrackin
03-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Gilmer Loaded in 2008

Gerry Hamilton
Orangebloods.com

2007 star receiver Curtis Brown will be the headliner on next year's Gilmer team, but get to know the names Justin Johnson and David Snow. Both players are members of the 2008 class and are special talents.

David Snow will be a highly-ranked prospect for 2008.
Snow was a starter at right guard as a freshman on the undefeated state championship team and is a player that has head coach Jeff Traylor very excited.

"David is the best offensive lineman I have coached," Traylor said. "I was on staff at Jacksonville when Jami Hightower was there and David is better at this stage of his career. He has great feet, is a very smart kid and really works to get better. David has a chance to be a special player down the line."

Snow checks in at 6-foot-4, 275 pounds and runs 5.3 in the 40-yard dash and already has a short list of schools he likes.

"I like the powers around the here. I like Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. I guess Nebraska isn't really a power anymore, but they are getting better. I plan to attend a couple of camps this summer," Snow said.

While Snow is an ultra talented lineman, fellow sophomore Justin Johnson may be the best prospect on the entire Buckeye team. The 6-2, 210-pound running back/linebacker was a dominant force on both sides of the ball this year for Gilmer. He racked up 793 yards rushing on 91 attempts and eight touchdowns, while catching nine passes for 162 yards on the offensive side of the ball. Johnson also recorded over 75 tackles from his outside linebacker position.

Coach Traylor says the sky is the limit for Johnson.

Tight end Justin Fielden is a player to watch for Gilmer.
"Justin is a very talented player," Traylor said. "He has the ability to be similar to Adrian Peterson. He isn't as fast as Peterson right now, but he has the same type of build and power. He didn't play a lot of offense this year and still rushed for almost 800 yards. We played him at outside linebacker and he did a very good job for us. He can be as good as he wants to be."

The Buckeyes have a third player in the 2008 class to keep a close eye on. Tight end Justin Fielden is another talented Buckeye player. The 6-4, 233-pounder started this year for the Buckeyes and Coach Traylor sees a lot of potential.

"Justin can move for a big kid. He runs around 4.9 and will be a featured player next year for us. We don't traditionally play a tight end, but Justin will do that for us the next couple of years," Traylor said.

The Buckeyes will start five juniors on the offensive line next year to go with junior TE Fielden.

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
I see four players mentioned, not twelve.

lostaussie
03-22-2006, 02:51 PM
I see four players mentioned, not twelve. once again. the "dozen or so" d1 recruits came from a story written by rivals. i read the story thanks to bdruss. maybe he can repost it. i can't find it. this was not a quote from the gilmer folks, but rather from the reporter who did the story.

Hupernikomen
03-22-2006, 02:57 PM
I see four players mentioned, not twelve.

The article said a dozen besides the main two it was mentioning..that means 14. I am fairly certain it was a hyperbole. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't 6 or 7 legit D-I athletes there right now though.

Sweetwater Red
03-22-2006, 02:58 PM
I know lost. I'm just trying to get to 400
posts and this is the most interesting
thread to me :D .

lostaussie
03-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
The article said a dozen besides the main two it was mentioning..that means 14. I am fairly certain it was a hyperbole. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't 6 or 7 legit D-I athletes there right now though. thank you huper. i would think you are closer to the real truth. as i said before, next years junior class is awesome.

lostaussie
03-22-2006, 03:02 PM
I know lost. I'm just trying to get to 400
posts and this is the most interesting
thread to me :D . alrighty, the truth have come out. :D. a post build up thread about the buckeyes. i can live with that.

Buckeye80
03-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
March 1, 2006

If not for the local daily paper and the interstate running through it, Gilmer seems like a throw-back fantasyland where time stood still - a town from a simpler and better time.

There's not an interstate running through Gilmer.:confused: Jeez, where does this clown get his information?:D

mustang04
03-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
There's not an interstate running through Gilmer.:confused: Jeez, where does this clown get his information?:D

oh...you'd be AMAZED at what ppl can pull out their arses these days:D :D :D

Manck
03-24-2006, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Nor is there a daily paper. The Mirror comes out on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

lostaussie
03-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Manck
Nor is there a daily paper. The Mirror comes out on Wednesdays and Saturdays. he must have interviewed the kids on a wednesday:D