PDA

View Full Version : Transfer for Decatur

NateDawg39
03-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Ok, it is not official but I was talking to my cousin over the phone and his parents just might move to Decatur from Florida this summer. If so, I really hope he plays football for the Eagles. He will be a junior and has started on the varsity for 2 years at his school. I saw some highlights of him playing. He is about 6'2 215 lb Mike Linebacker. Could be stingy on the Team next year. Would be an asset anywhere though in my opinion. Yet they are moving to Texas for sure.

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Ok, it is not official but I was talking to my cousin over the phone and his parents just might move to Decatur from Florida this summer. If so, I really hope he plays football for the Eagles. He will be a junior and has started on the varsity for 2 years at his school. I saw some highlights of him playing. He is about 6'2 215 lb Mike Linebacker. Could be stingy on the Team next year. Would be an asset anywhere though in my opinion. Yet they are moving to Texas for sure.

No matter, Nate....the Eagles are still going to lose to the Bulls this season. :D

Hope you get some of your family up here to help control you, Nate. :D

STANG RED
03-22-2006, 11:54 AM
If he is just going to be a junior, he will have to play JV for one year ya know. He cant play varsity until his senior year.

NateDawg39
03-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
No matter, Nate....the Eagles are still going to lose to the Bulls this season. :D

Hope you get some of your family up here to help control you, Nate. :D Yeah you and what Defense?

NateDawg39
03-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
If he is just going to be a junior, he will have to play JV for one year ya know. He cant play varsity until his senior year. I thought he could move up after a few games..

STANG RED
03-22-2006, 12:00 PM
I thought he could move up after a few games..

Sorry, no, he has to be there for one full calander year, before he could play varsity sports of any kind. I looked all that up on the UIL site a few months back, when we were argueing with Black Magic about a kid that will be playing QB for us next year.

3afan
03-22-2006, 12:03 PM
i thought the 1 year rule only applied if you move from WITHIN Texas ... ???

NateDawg39
03-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i thought the 1 year rule only applied if you move from WITHIN Texas ... ??? I think he can play because we had a kid from Hawaii move in 2 years ago and he was playng with us.

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Sorry, no, he has to be there for one full calander year, before he could play varsity sports of any kind. I looked all that up on the UIL site a few months back, when we were argueing with Black Magic about a kid that will be playing QB for us next year.
I believe the varsity rule depends upon the reason for the move. If it is for athletic reasons, then the year rule applies.

STANG RED
03-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i thought the 1 year rule only applied if you move from WITHIN Texas ... ???

I would have to go back and read it again, but I dont think that is the rule. I dont remember it mentioning anything at all about whether you were transfering from within the state or from outside. There are a few exemptions, but I dont think any of them addressed coming from out of state either though.
It was pretty flat out, that you had to live within the district for a full calander year if you are an underclassman. Like I said, I would have to go back and read it again to be 100% sure, but I am 90% sure now. It's only been 3 or 4 months since I researched all of that pretty extensively.

Ranger Mom
03-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I believe the varsity rule depends upon the reason for the move. If it is for athletic reasons, then the year rule applies.

True...we had a boy move here from Prosper a couple of years ago..he played a couple of games on JV then moved up to Varsity.

His dad was transferred to Odessa, and my mother, who went to church with them in Prosper, told them to check out Greenwood....and that is where they ultimately decided to stay!

Cliff Hanger
03-22-2006, 01:15 PM
If an athlete moves in and it is not for athletic purposees, he must wait 15 days from the time he enrolls to the time he can play a varsity sport. The district committee must also approve the athlete based on the previous athletic participation form.

Gobbla2001
03-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I would have to go back and read it again, but I dont think that is the rule. I dont remember it mentioning anything at all about whether you were transfering from within the state or from outside. There are a few exemptions, but I dont think any of them addressed coming from out of state either though.
It was pretty flat out, that you had to live within the district for a full calander year if you are an underclassman. Like I said, I would have to go back and read it again to be 100% sure, but I am 90% sure now. It's only been 3 or 4 months since I researched all of that pretty extensively.

Hell, then Cuero's breaking the rules because Brandon James started running track for us two months after he moved here, and played football here this season, not a full year... and yes and underclassmen...

The reasons of "why" the student moved is reviewed... then I believe it's up to the district as to whether or not the student can compete in varsity sports without playing sub-varsity his/her first season there...

You are now 0% sure ;)

oh well
03-22-2006, 01:47 PM
The kid in Sweetwater did not move with his parents he lives with someone else. That is why he is not eligible for Varsity Athletics

mrescape43
03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
My understanding is if his parents move to Decatur and he lives with them he would be eligible for varsity sports. JMO

STANG RED
03-22-2006, 02:34 PM
OK, yall are going to force me to go look it up again and post it again. Be right back.

STANG RED
03-22-2006, 02:56 PM
OK, I stand corrected. Oh Well is correct, there was an issue of the Sweetwater boys parents not living in Sweetwater, that prevented him from playing varsity for 1 year. As long as a kid moves with his parents, he is eligible to play at the varsity level. Sorry for the confusion I started. Here is the rule right out of the book.

Residence rules for athletic varsity eligibility are found in
Section 440 (b) and 442 of the Constitution and Contest
Rules. They are applicable to UIL varsity athletic
eligibility the first year the student attends the school.
Student athletes are eligible for varsity sports their first
year of attendance if their parents have a bona fide
residence (Section 442 [g]) within that school's attendance
zone, or if the student fulfills one of the exceptions in
Section 442, or is granted a hardship waiver (Section 465)
of the residence rule through the UIL office. Otherwise
the student is ineligible for all varsity sports for one
calendar year from the time of initial enrollment in the
school.
All students, including 18 year old students, are ineligible
for all varsity athletics the first year of attendance at a new
school unless the student's parents reside within that
attendance zone, or the student fulfills one of the
exceptions listed in Section 442, or is granted a hardship
waiver of the residence rule.

WHO TO CALL
For questions related to UIL activities, contact Bonnie Northcutt at the University Interscholastic League. If Ms. Northcutt is not available, ask for Mark Cousins or Richard Floyd. Telephone: 512-471-5883; Fax: 512-471- 5908; E-mail address: uiladmin@uts.cc.utexas.edu. Do not call the Texas Education Agency, as the Commissioner of Education has instructed Agency staff to refer calls to UIL.

By the way, I have this 20 page rule book on pdf. if anybody wants a copy of it. I'll be glad to send it to you, if you'll pm your email address to me.

mrescape43
03-22-2006, 02:56 PM
NM

NateDawg39
03-22-2006, 03:58 PM
So I basically said "hey my cousin is moving here", yet it always turns into a subject not really thought of by the thread creator...in this case, the subject on eligibility....:rolleyes:

STANG RED
03-22-2006, 04:13 PM
So I basically said "hey my cousin is moving here", yet it always turns into a subject not really thought of by the thread creator...in this case, the subject on eligibility....:rolleyes:

Heck, at least it was football related.