PDA

View Full Version : Great Cowboys Article

wos fan1
03-22-2006, 01:36 AM
For those new EX-Cowboy Fans

This Article was written by Mickey Spagnola from Dallas Cowboys.com who has been covering the Cowboys for approximately 20 years. This is for those of you who can't get over T.O. standing on the star.

The day September 24, 2000. The place, Texas Stadium. The game Dallas-San Francisco, once the marquee matchup of the 90s - the class of the NFL.

Oh the shame.

"It just wasn't right," Cowboys linebacker Darrin Hambrick said afterward.

No it wasn't. None of it. Disgraceful.

The behavior was appalling. So disrespectful, lips became seriously pursed. Jaws locked, molars grinding together.

Couldn't believe it, just couldn't believe it. Neither could the owner. Neither could the first year head coach Dave Campo, the career assistant who thought he'd seen it all in his day. And neither could many of the Cowboys players, some of their disbelief turning into latter-game anger.

Had nearly forgotten this ugly incident, but it was reminded by the Cowboys' signing of one Terrell Owens on Saturday. Yep, it all started coming back, every bit of it - all the ugly details.

For this was the day the Dallas Cowboys fans, in their own stadium, lustily booed Troy Aikman. Not a catcall here and there. Not an isolated incedent. But the majority of the 64,000 fans present that afternoon booing - and I mean booing - Troy Aikman everytime he stepped onto the field, from the very first posession before he had taken a snap from center to the very last.

Worse this despicable action was premeditated. There's the picture in the paper of the man boldy standing with a sign that read : "Bench Aikman." He didn't just make the sign in the stands that day as the Cowboys began falling further and further behind the hapless 49ers in the eventual 41-24 loss to their previously winless counter parts from the west coast, who had lost 14 of their previous 15 games.

Worse than all this, the so-called Dallas Cowboys faithful had the nerve to start chanting - during the game Aikman on the field - for Randall Cunningham. Seriously. Randall Cunningham, of all things, the Philidelphia former QB who landed in Dallas for only that season picking up another year's pay as a back-up - who in the end, didn't really want to back-up those final games when Aikman suffered his final NFL concussion.

That's right. A whole bunch of you sanctimonious, supposedly card carrying Cowboys fans now want to turn in you blue star because Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells have welcomed Terrell Owens into the fold with a three year, 25 million dollar contract. How could they, you are screaming on the radio and in the emails here on DallasCowboys.com, after he disgraced, disrespected, dissed the Cowboys franchise by twice posturing on the midfield blue star after touchdowns.

Please.

You want to talk about disgrace, do you? How about the Cowboys fans that day booing a quaterback who led this franchise to three Super Bowl victories in four years? Booing the quarterback who helped resurrect a downtrodden franchise into the Team of the 90s. Booing the quarterback who would land in the team's esteemed Ring of Honor then become a first ballot Hall of Famer.

What you forgot? Selective amnesia?

Nice.

The poor guy, in his 12th NFL season, had suffered a concussion in the season opener. Was not allowed to play in game 2 a 32-31 loss to Arizona, nor Game 3 a 27-21 victory over, who else, Washington, about the only team the Cowboys could beat during those lean years.

But whe Aikman returned in Game 4, the boo birds were out in force, turning on the quarterback who had given them so much to cheer about....and for a quarterback who had spent his career trying to beat in the brains of the Cowboys

Guess all the fans cared about was winning. No loyalty whatsoever. No regard for feelings no respect.

Traitors?

"The fans are terrible," Hambrick would go on to say.

Aikman though, class to the bitter end. He would soft shoe the entire scene saying that came with the territory. In fact he said that he had mentally prepaired for such reactions before the game. Hey, he knew the Cowboys had won the last game under Cunningham's guidance and had nearly won the previous game.

Yet that's how you treat the team's Hall of Fame quaterback.

So pardon me, but give me a break on the Owens thing, on how he can't be forgiven for raising his arms to the sky after scoring those two Touchdowns and racing to the mid-field star. On how its an insult to lifetime Cowboys fans for bringing him into the fold.

Come on.

Yeah, yeah, what he did that day, rubbing it in with his all about me celebration, was rather self absorbing and classless. Probably even childish, especially the second time when the all of one yard touchdown grab gave San Francisco a 41-17 lead with just 4:05 remaining in an already decided game.

And he paid for his actions, with 49ers head coach Steve Mariucci suspending him one game, which cost T.O. $24,294. And admonishing him by saying, "It disturbs me when the integrity of the game is compromised."

But you know what, the integrity of the game already had been compromised. Emmitt Smith had already reclaimed the star for a little get back celebration right before halftime. Darren Woodson miffed at a non-call, got himself ejected from the game in the fourth quarter and then set the land record for the helmet toss before he left. Then George Teague heralded as a hero, belted Owens after the second celebration, touching off a near brawl at mid-field.

And before the field was cleared of all this debris, there were Campo and Mariucci at midfield apologizing to each other for the actions of their teams.

In fact afterward former Cowboys special teams coach Joe Avezzano, who was then in his 11th season with the Cowboys, shook his head in the locker room, saying, "It was embarassing that a Dallas-San Francisco game displayed so many inappropriate actions"

He meant T.O.

He meant Teague.

He meant Emmitt.

He meant Woody.

He probably meant the Cowboys' defense allowing Charlie Garner about in his rocking chair to rush for 201 yards.

And you know what? I know for a fact that he meant the booing of Troy Freakin' Aikman by the Cowboys fans.

Ya'll booed, those of you who were at the game. Booed Aikman as if it were Ryan Leaf out on the field. You wanted the guy who had been laying tile for a year to quarterback your team, and when they needed him at the end he feigned some silly injury, forcing Campo to play Anthony Wright, not only to mop up the Washington game where Aikman was drilled the final time in the NFL, but to start his first two NFL games in the final two against Washington then on Christmas night at Tennessee. Thats who you wanted instead of YOUR quaterback.

So give me a break.

If you want to distance yourself from the Cowboys for signing Terrell Owens because of how he acted in Philly, fine. If you want to quit buying tickets to the games at Texas Stadium because you refuse to watch Owens play, fine. If you want to throw away all of your Cowboys memorabilia because Owens has been a bad teammate and disruptive in both San Francisco and Philadelphia, be my guest.

But don't come in here with this weak stuff about the star incident. Please. That was 5 1/2 years ago. Owens wasn't the first guy to rub it in and he won't be the last. Man, good thing there wasn't free agency back in the 70's. You guys might have torpedoed a Redskin had Tom Landry had the audacity to sign one here.

Guys this is Football not a civil war. This is big, big bidness, not some petty Hatfields versus McCoys struggle, if the guy who OWNS that mid-field star can forgive and forget, then whats your problem?

Just be careful labeling Jerry Jones a win at all costs owner. On this day, September 24, 2000 a whole bunch of were as bad, if not worse. No allegiance. No regard for feelings. Short Memories. Just win for me.

Ya'll booed Troy Aikman.

Owens, he was almost comic relief on a pitiful day in Cowboys history.

But calling for Cunningham to replace Aikman, thats what I will most remember from that day. And thats shameful.

big daddy russ
03-22-2006, 03:08 AM
I'm not much of a Cowboys fan, but Amen.

Phil C
03-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Come on Mickey! You were probably booing the loudest at that game and now you are finger pointing but just remember when you point three fingers are pointing right back at you. Go to Green Bay.

spiveyrat
03-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Good article indeed.

Phantom Stang
03-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Dallas Cowboys .com eh?
Who signs Mickey Spagnola's paycheck??:thinking:

Ranger Mom
03-22-2006, 10:59 AM
That was wonderful article.....I agree with him 100%!!

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Are we sure that Keith7 didn't write that article?

Ranger Mom
03-22-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't care who wrote it, I thought it was right on the money.

I remember that day when they booed Aikman...I was EMBARRASSED to be a Cowboys fan that day!!

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't care who wrote it, I thought it was right on the money.

I remember that day when they booed Aikman...I was EMBARRASSED to be a Cowboys fan that day!!

Sorry RM, but I don't agree with everything in the article. The Dallas fans should not have booed Aikman, but they did not disrepect the Cowboys to the degree that T.O did with the "star dance" and loyal Dallas fans won't forget his actions until he has caught a lot of td's.

kepdawg
03-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Sorry RM, but I don't agree with everything in the article. The Dallas fans should not have booed Aikman, but they did not disrepect the Cowboys to the degree that T.O did with the "star dance" and loyal Dallas fans won't forget his actions until he has caught a lot of td's.

Could you explain exactly how it was that TO disrespected the Cowboys? I have yet to see this explained in a way that makes sense.

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Could you explain exactly how it was that TO disrespected the Cowboys? I have yet to see this explained in a way that makes sense.

IMO,T.O.'s "star dance" was just like tossing the football to the back covering you after you scored on a TD, except an even more "in your face" gesture to everything and everybody connected with the Dallas Cowboys on national TV.

Ranger Mom
03-22-2006, 11:26 AM

I guess we see things differently. I thought what our own fans did to Aikmen was WAY more disrespectful.

TO did it to the opposition...we ( or they, I would never have booed him) did it to one of their OWN!!!!

I'm sorry, maybe I am just not getting this...I know the star is revered and all...but its not like he whooped it out and peed on it!

kepdawg
03-22-2006, 11:26 AM
IMO,T.O.'s "star dance" was just like tossing the football to the back covering you after you scored on a TD, except an even more "in your face" gesture to everything and everybody connected with the Dallas Cowboys on national TV.

Thanks. It doesn't bother me at all when a WR tosses a ball to a DB. So I guess that's why I don't really see what the big deal is with the star.

Phantom Stang
03-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Whil;e it was wrong for those folks to boo Aikman...
It is TOTALLY CHEAP of this agent of Jerry Jones, whom happens to be the writer of the article, to lay that kind of attitude on anyone that doesn't approve of the signing of T.O.!:foul:

kepdawg
03-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
It is TOTALLY CHEAP of this agent of Jerry Jones, whom happens to be the writer of the article, to lay that kind of attitude on anyone that doesn't approve of the signing of T.O.!:foul:

It seems pretty clear to me that he is addressing the fans that were there and booed that day.

Buccaneer
03-22-2006, 11:33 AM
I am a big Cowboys' fan but Troy Aikman is way overrated. He was a very efficient and accurate passer, but how many times did he lead the Cowboys to victory in the last 2 minutes of a game. Granted they weren't behind too many games during their Superbowl run.

I thought the greatest disrespect shown to the Cowboys was having Dave Campo on the sideline!

Ranger Mom
03-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

I don't really approve of the signing of TO either...but I am also not threatening to throw out all my memorabilia, switch loyalties to another team, etc.

I think that is who the article is geared towards....the fans who would boo their own QB....but get all butthurt about TO.

I am actually enjoying all the outraged indignation of people over this...it makes me laugh!!

:D

Ranger Mom
03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
I am a big Cowboys' fan but Troy Aikman is way overrated. He was a very efficient and accurate passer, but how many times did he lead the Cowboys to victory in the last 2 minutes of a game. Granted they weren't behind too many games during their Superbowl run.

I thought the greatest disrespect shown to the Cowboys was having Dave Campo on the sideline!

So because he is overrated he DESERVED to be booed??:confused: :confused:

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't really approve of the signing of TO either...but I am also not threatening to throw out all my memorabilia, switch loyalties to another team, etc.

I think that is who the article is geared towards....the fans who would boo their own QB....but get all butthurt about TO.

I am actually enjoying all the outraged indignation of people over this...it makes me laugh!!

lol---"butthurt"!!!???? :D

DaHop72
03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
lol---"butthurt"!!!???? :D It's a Mommy word.:thumbsup:

kepdawg
Originally posted by Buccaneer

As you basically admitted, you aren't going to get very far with the Aikman didn't have many come from behind wins. The amount of time the 'boys were leading during his time is unbelievable. That is also one factor in his passing stats not being greater than they are. The 'boys would pass to get the lead and the pound the ball with Emmitt to keep it.

Ranger Mom
lol---"butthurt"!!!???? :D

Slang I picked up from my kids, I'm sure!!

Buccaneer
03-22-2006, 11:46 AM
So because he is overrated he DESERVED to be booed??:confused: :confused:

I thought he deserved to be booed many times. This aint high school football.

pirate4state
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM

AMEN!!! :clap: