PDA

View Full Version : G.J. Kinne to transfer to Gilmer?????

nutcrackin
03-21-2006, 11:32 PM
That is the word on Smoaky.com because of the coaching change. His own personal website at www.gjkinne.com states that he really wants his father's assistants to be on the new coach's staff or he would consider transferring. Yet the school board chose a coach that runs a wing T offense. What would you do? His star receiver has already transferred back to Mesquite (Tuminello).

Adidas410s
03-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Tell him to go play at Waco or Marlin...that would be fun! Or he could follow in the footsteps of Baylor QB Shawn Bell and play at China Spring!!!

nutcrackin
03-22-2006, 12:49 AM
From Smoaky.com

G.J. Kinne's mother responds to speculation...

I spoke with G.J.'s mother, Jocelyne tonight...

She wanted to clear the air on any speculation, rumors, and/or everything else surrounding G.J.'s status at Canton High School.

Ms. Carter has asked the Canton administration to come up with answers and/or solutions to her concerns about the health and safety of her son at the high school.

She's expecting to hear back from the administration by this Friday.

While so many people want to come to one conclusion or another about all this...I would appreciate everyone trying to understand how difficult this situation is for many involved.

I know G.J.'s mother and her husband both moved to Canton immediately after the shooting a year ago, and I'm sure the last thing they want to do is move "again".

I can't imagine the emotions involved, and I'm sure it could be a stress on them financially to move again.

Ms. Carter told me she and her husband will be making a decision about G.J.'s future following their meeting with Canton I.S.D.

I will try and keep you posted of anything new when the time comes.

I'm sure some of you may beat me to it.

Smoaky

PPHSfan
03-22-2006, 08:17 AM
I would tell him that 17 year old wet behind the ears kids are not the ones who make the coaching staff decisions at a Texas High School. Furthermore, if I were his parent, I would tell him he was going to attend school his senior year wherever I told him, and if he didn't like it, not only would he do it anyway, but he could WALK his little ass back and forth.

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I would tell him that 17 year old wet behind the ears kids are not the ones who make the coaching staff decisions at a Texas High School. Furthermore, if I were his parent, I would tell him he was going to attend school his senior year wherever I told him, and if he didn't like it, not only would he do it anyway, but he could WALK his little ass back and forth.

What a completely unsympathetic, hard-nosed, common sense, parochial, and politically wrong perfectly correct thing to say. :D

lostaussie
03-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
but he could WALK his little ass back and forth. that would be big ass:D

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
that would be big ass:D

So true, lostaussie.....G.J. is a "stud" and should top the all-state 3A QB selection list next season, unless he goes to Waco. I hope everything gets back to normal quickly for the entire Kinne family, and I wish only the best for them and their talented son, wherever he plays.

lostaussie
03-22-2006, 10:59 AM
our system would fit him very well. don't think this will ever happen though. first i have heard of it was this morning. i really didn't see anything on smoaky's site to make me think there is even a chance of this happening. just a bunch of "what ifs". besides we have a very good qb now.

nutcrackin
03-22-2006, 11:09 AM
It will happen and as soon as Monday. He contacted Gilmer not the other way around. FYI

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
It will happen and as soon as Monday. He contacted Gilmer not the other way around. FYI

If it happens, I don't see how they can downplay the move for other than "athletic reasons", unless thay can prove legitimate safety concerns in Canton.

nutcrackin
03-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Well let's see. The son of the man imprisoned for attempted murder attends Canton high school and has "alledgedly" threatened G.J. on numerous occassions with a knife being pulled on Kinne once. This is why is being home schooled since his father took the job at Baylor. He isn't from Canton and has no ties to the town. Now that his father is at Baylor, he is living with his mother and step father who works in multiple locations.

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
If it happens, I don't see how they can downplay the move for other than "athletic reasons", unless thay can prove legitimate safety concerns in Canton.
Very true, especially if he is the one that contacted them. The way I read his personal website is that Coach Kinne has made the recommendations on his replacement, not G.J.

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
Well let's see. The son of the man imprisoned for attempted murder attends Canton high school and has "alledgedly" threatened G.J. on numerous occassions with a knife being pulled on Kinne once. This is why is being home schooled since his father took the job at Baylor. He isn't from Canton and has no ties to the town. Now that his father is at Baylor, he is living with his mother and step father who works in multiple locations.

nutcrackin'.....that is why I "qualified" my post by stating "unless they can prove legitimate safety concerns in Canton." I have no knowledge of that situation and have no "dog" in this hunt.

Manck
03-22-2006, 11:43 AM
I've got a mole keeping eyes and ears open at GHS. If it happens, you'll know quick.

Adidas410s
03-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Manck
I've got a mole keeping eyes and ears open at GHS. If it happens, you'll know quick.

ok Chief...:thumbsup: j/k! :p

Bullaholic
03-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

Adidas....now you know the Chief will have the straight "scoop" before anyone else---if you don't believe it---just ask him! :D

Manck
03-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Seriously. Mom works there. She knows how important that would be.

Manck
03-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Just got a phone call. Apparently, there was a GJK sighting at Gilmer High this morning.

This is of course based on a student telling my mom telling me. But, apparently, GJK is supposed to transfer in on Monday.

Note the use of apparently a LOT. That means NONE of this is confirmed.

nutcrackin
03-22-2006, 02:23 PM
For those who don't subscribed to Rivals100.com this is one of the many articles...pre Kinne and all raised in Gilmer. A good coach is worth his weight.

Common names around the recruiting world are being heard about from Gilmer, Texas like Texas commit Curtis Brown and 2008 stars Justin Johnson, Justin Fielden, and David Snow. Don't forget about 2007 star linebacker Dominique Buchanan, who is rapidly picking up offers.

The first three written offers have come in from Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Mississippi State. One of those schools has emerged as the early leader for his services.

"OSU, I've got pretty high interest in them," Buchanan said. "I can't really say why, I just recently started watching them and liking them. I don't really know how to describe it actually. They're just kind of my favorite."

Even with a leader, Buchanan says he's going to get out and about to check out some other college campuses. Camps this summer will provide that opportunity.

"I'm going to make it to OSU for their camp, but also Kansas State and the Oklahoma camp as well," Buchanan said. "There are a lot of other colleges out there sending me stuff like Oregon and Colorado, so we'll see what I make it to."

Buchanan started for Gilmer as a sophomore as a backup running back and linebacker. Eventually, he became a fulltime defensive player at the linebacker position. His coaches have helped him realize his potential.

"They're always on me about stuff," Buchanan said about his coaches. "That's in a good way."

Buchanan also admits that with a high profile list of recruiting targets all at this school, it's not just about their talents. Past players like Oklahoma receiver Manuel Johnson, Mississippi State signee Tay Bowser and athlete Kevin Hollis all brought coaches to school which has continued through the years.

"They brought them in and the recruiters came coming for them," he said. "So those guys like Manuel and Kevin Hollis started this. They just told us to keep our grades up and stay out of trouble. That's why I'm focusing so much on my grades."

Buckeyeman
03-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Heard anything new on this??

kaorder1999
03-23-2006, 08:47 PM
the only thing I have to say is Kinne's family better be VERy careful what they say or do in the coming days IF they do plan on transferring GJ. They were VERY verbal in saying that if "such and such: " didn't happen then GJ would be moving and they finally realized that in doing so they were announcing they were leaving for athletic purposes. Or at least that sure is what it sounds like. Even if you establish residence somewhere that does not TOTALLY asure you of being eligible when you transfer somewhere. There is a LOT of paperwork involved and a LOT of investigation involved. If GJ were to transfer his best chance would be for him to go back to Mesquite because he has at least already lived there but if he packs up and goes to a nearby district that is supposedly favored to be pretty darn good the next year then there will be a LOT of questions asked. UIL is pretty smart when it comes to these issues as are other head coaches in Gilmer's district who I can't see approving this.

mrescape43
03-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Since he wants to transfer to arguably the most talented 3A team instead of going to live in Waco where his father is coaching, you would have to think athletics were a big factor in his decision.

mrescape43
03-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
the only thing I have to say is Kinne's family better be VERy careful what they say or do in the coming days IF they do plan on transferring GJ. They were VERY verbal in saying that if "such and such: " didn't happen then GJ would be moving and they finally realized that in doing so they were announcing they were leaving for athletic purposes. Or at least that sure is what it sounds like. Even if you establish residence somewhere that does not TOTALLY asure you of being eligible when you transfer somewhere. There is a LOT of paperwork involved and a LOT of investigation involved. If GJ were to transfer his best chance would be for him to go back to Mesquite because he has at least already lived there but if he packs up and goes to a nearby district that is supposedly favored to be pretty darn good the next year then there will be a LOT of questions asked. UIL is pretty smart when it comes to these issues as are other head coaches in Gilmer's district who I can't see approving this.

If they were really worried about his well being the complete family would be transferring to Waco.

big daddy russ
03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
If they were really worried about his well being the complete family would be transferring to Waco.
I don't think his dad and mom are married. From what I got, his mom remarried but still lives in the Gilmer area.

mrescape43
03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't think his dad and mom are married. From what I got, his mom remarried but still lives in the Gilmer area.

I didn't know that. That puts a different spin on things. It still makes you wonder when the town they are choosing to transfer to is Gilmer unless he has some family that hasn't been mentioned.

kaorder1999
03-23-2006, 09:21 PM
GJ's mother and her husband moved to CANTON from mesquite immediatly after the shooting last Spring

mrescape43
03-23-2006, 09:31 PM
GJ's mother and her husband moved to CANTON from mesquite immediatly after the shooting last Spring

:thinking: :thinking: This looks to be one story worth keeping up with. As unpredictible as the UIL is I don't know if transferring to Gilmer is worth the risk of losing a year of elibibility.

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Have you read his website? That alone makes a very darn good argument for "moving for athletic reasons".

eagles_victory
03-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Moving for athletic purposes this rule is always screwed up the kids that move for atheltic purposes always get to play and then some kids just get screwed over I hate this rule.

Buckeye80
03-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Have you read his website? That alone makes a very darn good argument for "moving for athletic reasons".

Has anybody thought about the fact that this KID has a website? I mean, c'mon! What life events could a 17 year old kid possibly have to warrant having his own website?

I'm treating this as pure speculation for now, and placing all my faith in Jamell Kennedy as Gilmer's starting QB.

kaorder1999
03-23-2006, 11:36 PM
"While there is no way of knowing whether the Canton
Administration and School Board will follow Coach Kinne's
recommendation to replace him with an existing coaching
staff member, our hope is that they do. A leader with
whom GJ is familiar and who knows the system that has
been so successful will ensure that we will stay at Canton
for his senior year." -- from www.gjkinne.com

that was basically a threat wasn't it? If so and so gets the job then GJ stays.....

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2006, 11:38 PM
that was basically a threat wasn't it? If so and so gets the job then GJ stays.....
That was my impression as well.

44INAROW
03-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Has anybody thought about the fact that this KID has a website? I mean, c'mon! What life events could a 17 year old kid possibly have to warrant having his own website?

I've thought that all along.. and a 17 yr old with such a self-promotional website - can you imagine the ego he'll have at 21? JEEZ........ I know nothing about the young man and assume he's a fine person etc, but seems it is playing with fire to be doing all that promoting as this time in his young life.

lostaussie
03-24-2006, 08:58 AM
this kid is a GREAT talent. would love to have a kid with his kind of talent on our team. that being said, i think this could wind up being more trouble than it is worth. besides, we have a very good, homegrown qb. i like things just the way they are.