PDA

View Full Version : Gillispie and Missouri

eagles_victory
03-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie is interested in the vacant Missouri job according to a source close to the Aggies' program.

Gillispie is in his second year in College Station and would join a long list of candidates to replace Quin Snyder who left the program last week. The 46-year old Gillispie is known as a tireless recruiter, having worked under current Kansas coach Bill Self while they were at Tulsa and Illinois.

He is 36-17 at Texas A&M midway through his second season with the program. Last year Gillispie was Big 12 Coach of the Year after guiding the Aggies to a 21-10 record. The Aggies are currently 15-7, 5-6 in the Big 12.

One drawback to his hiring is the perception that Gillispie is job hopping. The native Texan spent two years at UTEP before going to Texas A&M. It is known that Gillispie does think highly of the Missouri job and program that has been diminished in recent years by losing and NCAA probation.

He will have to get in line at Missouri. Snyder and his lawyer have finalized details on his buyout. Word leaked Friday that Snyder resigned but his players contend he didn't quit.

Other names mentioned include Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott, Creighton's Dana Altman, Alabama-Birmingham's Mike Anderson and Southern Illinois' Chris Lowery.

Snyder made more than $1 million per season but there are indications Missouri might not be willing -- or able -- to pay that much to the next coach, which would limit the pool of candidates. The school still has to buy out Snyder and is considering an extension for football coach Gary Pinkel.

Such a situation might eliminate West Virginia's John Beilein, who signed a recent extension. Published reports stated it would take $3.5 million to buy out Beilein.

CHS_CG
03-21-2006, 10:42 PM
I dont think Gillispie will go.. I could be wrong, but i am pretty sure he likes where he is at just fine.

big daddy russ
03-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Talked to a buddy tonight who's close to the A&M hoops program. He said that Gillispie may actually leave, but it's more likely that he's putting out his tentacles and forcing A&M's hand to get him a more lucrative contract offer and more money to the hoops program. They're already talking about upgrading the facilities even more than what was originally planned. Luring Gillispie back may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, as they'll be forced to make the upgrades necessary to keep him.

But if it doesn't happen and Mizzou or IU offer him a great deal, it wouldn't surprise me to see him bolt.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
IU has officially told Alford he isn't in the running.

Does that mean Gillispie may get an invite to interview there? It's probably a longshot, but a decent theory nonetheless.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2379069

KTJ
03-22-2006, 12:22 AM
Rumor has it that Mizzou is also interested in Kelvin Sampson.

I know ol' demin shirts is looking to leave Oklahoma.