PDA

View Full Version : Trash Talk: Hats Off To The University Of Texas Athletics

ILS1
03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
I’ve heard the expression, “Don’t Mess With Texas” for a long time, but only recently have I realized just what it means.

If you’re an NCAA opponent with championship aspirations, you might find the road blocked by Longhorns.

Last June, Texas defeated Florida to win the NCAA baseball crown.

In January, the Longhorns outlasted USC in the Rose Bowl to capture the championship of college football.

And now, the Texas basketball team is in the Sweet Sixteen and one of the favorites to stand triumphant when March Madness ends.

Whether anyone likes it or not, it’s hard to argue against Texas’ current standing as the premier athletic program in the country.

I’m sure if we heaped in other sports like field hockey, water polo, badminton and tiddlywinks there might be a challenger out there to the Longhorns’ supremacy.

But in terms of major sports that people care about the most, Austin is to championships what Philadelphia is to cheesesteaks.

Kudos then to baseball coach Augie Garrido, football coach Mack Brown and basketball coach Rick Barnes for building their programs into models of consistency, efficiency and excellence.

Of course, some of that could change this weekend if the Longhorns fall flat against West Virginia, or in the Elite Eight against the Duke-LSU winner. Then they’ll be held up for ridicule – by the Texas baseball and football teams.

But for now, a tip of the ten-gallon hat to the boys in burnt orange.

Story Link (www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3296418/)

turbostud
03-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Hook em Horns

BreckTxLonghorn
03-21-2006, 10:08 PM
We're Texas: What Starts Here Changes the World

big daddy russ
03-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Cool little article.

clayton7
03-22-2006, 09:39 AM
I couldnt have said it better myself

Old Dog
03-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Don't forget the Ladies indoor track title!

Johnnypaycheck
03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Go HORNS Hook E'm Horns!!

DaHop72
03-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ILS1

And now, the Texas basketball team is in the Sweet Sixteen and one of the favorites to stand triumphant when March Madness ends.

:confused: :confused: Over Duke???:eek: :eek:

DUKE22
03-22-2006, 11:01 AM
I will give UT its props as probably the best overall athletic program in the country. However they are out of their league messing with Duke in basketball. I hope they win on Thursday so Duke can beat them by 40 again.

Gobbla2001
03-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
I will give UT its props as probably the best overall athletic program in the country. However they are out of their league messing with Duke in basketball. I hope they win on Thursday so Duke can beat them by 40 again.

Yah, Duke's tough stuff...

But the Longhorns have beat tough teams and Duke would be a tough team... we'll see what happens the second go around, IF it happens...

Phil C
03-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Hook 'em Horns!

JasperDog94
03-22-2006, 04:26 PM
I will give UT its props as probably the best overall athletic program in the country. However they are out of their league messing with Duke in basketball. I hope they win on Thursday so Duke can beat them by 40 again. Reddick was out of his mind that game and Texas had one of the worst games all season. Very doubtful that it happens a second time. Texas could still lose, but not by 40.

First things first though. We have to beat W. Virginia and Duke has to beat LSU.

DUKE22
03-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah J.J. is out of his mind alot, probably why he averages 28 a game. Texas played poor because DUKE got after them on defense. J.J. went off because the way they played him. You give him room and he will hit 40 again. Bottom line Texas is not in DUKES league as far as basketball goes. Once again i think their athletic program is great, but dont mess with the Devils on the hardwood.

District303aPastPlayer
03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah J.J. is out of his mind alot, probably why he averages 28 a game. Texas played poor because DUKE got after them on defense. J.J. went off because the way they played him. You give him room and he will hit 40 again. Bottom line Texas is not in DUKES league as far as basketball goes. Once again i think their athletic program is great, but dont mess with the Devils on the hardwood.

true

KingRob
03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Hook'em Horns!

AggieJohn
03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.easi.net.nz/images/homer.gif

JasperDog94
03-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah J.J. is out of his mind alot, probably why he averages 28 a game. Texas played poor because DUKE got after them on defense. J.J. went off because the way they played him. You give him room and he will hit 40 again. Bottom line Texas is not in DUKES league as far as basketball goes. Once again i think their athletic program is great, but dont mess with the Devils on the hardwood. Maybe we'll see.

eagles_victory
03-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah J.J. is out of his mind alot, probably why he averages 28 a game. Texas played poor because DUKE got after them on defense. J.J. went off because the way they played him. You give him room and he will hit 40 again. Bottom line Texas is not in DUKES league as far as basketball goes. Once again i think their athletic program is great, but dont mess with the Devils on the hardwood. thats about as overboard as you can get Duke better just worry about LSU and they wont beat texas by 40 noone is out of texas's league and just bc d303app agreed with you that doesnt count for much.

sirhc11
03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
If Texas faces Duke in the Elite Eight, and Aldridge shuts Williams down, then Texas will drop Duke from the bracket. Also one of Texas' outside shooters must step up with about 25.

big daddy russ
03-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by sirhc11
If Texas faces Duke in the Elite Eight, and Aldridge shuts Williams down, then Texas will drop Duke from the bracket. Also one of Texas' outside shooters must step up with about 25.
I don't know if he'll ever really shut Williams down. Williams is a great player, but his muscle inside is his most important contribution to that team, not his scoring. They have other top-20 prospects who can pick up the slack on offense if they need to.

If he can tire Williams on the defensive end, it'll open up things for the rest of the offense. Aldridge may not be as strong as Williams, but if he relies on his athleticism to make the big guy work harder Williams can wear down.

Aldridge needs to get that baby hook going. He's flashed it a few times, but doesn't go to it enough.