PDA

View Full Version : Gillispie sp? and Indiana

eagles_victory
03-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I am not sure if this has been reported but the Texas a&m coach is rumored to be high on Indianas list to replace Mike Davis.

scrappy05
03-21-2006, 12:45 AM
he could be a good choice, if he can take A&M to the tourney, he can do well at any school

Maroon87
03-21-2006, 07:13 AM
I would be shocked if IU went with anyone but Steve Alford.

GATAPride77
03-21-2006, 11:13 AM
There is a lot of buzz on the IU boards about him. I sure hope it doesn't happen. A&M has finally stepped up and will put a lot of money into both the womens and mens facilities. If he goes it won't be due to lack of administration support or money.

Adidas410s
03-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

I think a yes/no vote on Alford will have to be made very quickly. He has way too many ties to Indiana for them to string that out for any length of time because it will end up hurting both parties if they do.

DaHop72
03-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I would be shocked if IU went with anyone but Steve Alford. He may go back to IU, but sometimes going back home is hard due to expectations.

KTJ
03-21-2006, 01:13 PM

I wouldn't. Indiana fans have been on record saying they don't want him and Iowa fans want Indiana to take him. (Alford has never done well in the Tourney and seems to fold late in the season.)

And yes, Gillespie is high on their list from what I've read. He'd be a fool not to take it if he was offered, IMO.

But that's just me.

big daddy russ
03-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
And yes, Gillespie is high on their list from what I've read. He'd be a fool not to take it if he was offered, IMO.

But that's just me.
I think that depends on what TAMU's willing to do to keep him. He's in the middle of a recruiting hotbed here in Texas, has the alums to shell out some serious cash on the program, works in one of the fifteen most well-funded athletic programs in the nation and has already started attracting four- and five-star recruits to campus for visits.

Bloomington is a smaller town than CS. So is enrollment. To top it off, Gillispie was born and raised just outside of Abilene. He's a Texas boy, and I think it'll be hard for IU to pry him away, especially when you consider how highly the Century Club thinks of him.

Gillispie will get a huge contract this offseason, but I believe he'll get it from A&M and not IU.

Bulldog_12
03-21-2006, 01:39 PM
He wouldnt be a fool, KTJ, for the reasons Russ just listed. He is in a power conference and is now starting to scare people in this conference. I think it is wishful thinking on the part of the rest of the Big 12 that he will be leaving. Besides, the regents at IU have already said they want alford so unless the AD can convince them not to take him, it wont happen. Even if he does, there is enough buzz around here about basketball to generate enough money to keep him here for a long time.

injuredinmelee
03-21-2006, 02:54 PM
The Big Ten is a Basketball Power Conference. As far as recruiting is concerned location isnt that big of a issue when you have the history of IU.

AggieJohn
03-21-2006, 03:00 PM
friend of mine talked to gillespie when they got back from jacksonville and he assured him to stick around, that this group is really special to him and he doesn't want to go anywhere....

Cameron Crazy
03-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Highly doubt it

KTJ
03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
He wouldnt be a fool, KTJ, for the reasons Russ just listed. He is in a power conference and is now starting to scare people in this conference. I think it is wishful thinking on the part of the rest of the Big 12 that he will be leaving. Besides, the regents at IU have already said they want alford so unless the AD can convince them not to take him, it wont happen. Even if he does, there is enough buzz around here about basketball to generate enough money to keep him here for a long time.

The Big 10 is a more powerful than the Big 12 as far as basketball and it's tradition is concerned. No one is scared of him. I said he'd be a fool not to take one of the more powerful basketball jobs in the country. If he stays at Agricultural, well congrats to him. He'll do a great job.

And the Big 10 and the ACC really hasn't had a problem stealing Texas talent to go up north. Bracey Wright went to Indiana, Daniel Horton to Michigan, Darrell Arthur (who ranks as the #2 recruit in the nation and has Texas really high on his list) is being recruited by both uConn and Indiana--although he took Indiana off when he found out about Mike Davis, not to mention a whole slew of guys that go to Duke and UNC from the Houston area.

Which I just looked and Texas has the #1, 7, 10, 15, and 21 ranked players coming into our program next year. And the #3 ranked player is picking between Texas, Kansas, and uConn.

AggieJohn
03-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
The Big Ten is a Basketball Power Conference. As far as recruiting is concerned location isnt that big of a issue when you have the history of IU.

yeah, and how many ball programs do they have in the sweet sixteen?