PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going to SWT next year??

Bandera YaYa
08-16-2003, 12:17 AM
My daughter is going to SWT, anyone have a child going there or anyone going there?

I know this is a non-football subject. I'm just a single mom whose baby is leaving the nest and I'm starting to feel a little lost.....so bear with me, please!!

Just wanted to know.... :)

Specklebelly
08-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Nobody will be going to SWT next year, it wont exist. Texas State on the other hand will be a place your daughter should have a blast. Everyone I know that has gone there has enjoyed it.

<small>[ August 16, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Specklebelly ]</small>

Gobbla2001
08-16-2003, 01:27 PM
I'll be there next year... Gunna transfer in from The Victoria College... Woulda already been there but I couldn't stay settled on a major, finally am...

CHS_CG
08-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Yes, it is changing to Texas State San Marcos (sooooo stupid). To me Southwest Texas is ALWAYS goin to be the name. One of my friends is goin to the college. She starts moving pretty soon. She cant wait to go!

JRabbit_Fan
08-16-2003, 09:25 PM
I had one daughter graduate from SWT in 2002 and another daughter who will be a junior there this year. They both love it there and have had a lot of fun. I would recommend it to anyone.

<small>[ August 16, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: JRabbit_Fan ]</small>

PhiI C
08-17-2003, 09:00 AM
I have only heard good things about it too. Also San Marcos is close to Austin and she can go watch UT soccer this Fall is she likes soccer. And in the Spring she can go watch UT softball and see the CAT (well maybe next year since she will probably be on the Olymphics softball team unless she gets snubbed ala ESPN) if she likes softball. Also Texas Lutheran University is only about 7 miles away so she can watch their softball team play and get to see Riflearm (Amanda Stevens a Sinton Grad who pitches for TLU) pitch. Of course SWT has a good softball team too and made it to the NCAA regionals against UT last year.

sinton66
08-17-2003, 10:04 AM
There is a kid from Magnolia starting there this year by the name of Chuck Gondek. He is a super golfer. He wants to become a coach. I've known this kid for a couple years now, his mom and I were co-workers.

Blackcat03
08-18-2003, 01:11 AM
I'm going to be going there this year, I move in this Wednesday. I can't wait!

BIG19
08-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Bandera YaYa, check your PM.

toby070
08-20-2003, 07:52 AM
SWT (NOT Texas State) is a great school. I have my Bachelor's and MPA from there, and still live in SM.

It has really come a long way from the "party school" image of the 1970's and early 1980's.

3afan
08-20-2003, 08:31 AM
it's Texas State - don't live in the past ........... :p

Gilmer Buckeye
08-20-2003, 08:37 AM
With a cool name like "Texas State" they should immediately be admitted to the Big 12 in place of Baylor.

Somebody needs to replace Baylor, that's for sure. There's nothing 'big' about Baylor except the corruption at this point.

"Largest Baptist University in the World" indeed. They have brought new meaning to the term "ignorance is (B)liss."

3afan
08-20-2003, 08:46 AM
that idea is not so far-fetched ... you know TSU (nee SWT) has talked before about going DI ... but of course for them to get B12 caliber will take many, many years and $s... DI with I-AA football would have to be the first step. Logical replacements for Baylor if it would come to that (and that in itself is doubtful in the near future) - TCU (would they want another private?), North Texas (maybe with a new stadium), Colorado St. (best bet ).

toby070
08-20-2003, 12:24 PM
3afan:
it's Texas State - don't live in the past ........... :p Sorry, I'm bordering on "old fart" age group, and dagnabit, it's SWT :D

Next we change from Bobcats to Armadillos? BTW, our local sports editor, who hated the change, ruffled some feathers a while back. The baseball team is already using a TS logo, and the logo is identical to the Texas Syndicate tatoos, popularized in our Texas prisons. He thinks SWT gear will be quite popular in Huntsville, in spite of the SWT/TSU vs Sam Houston Rivalry :)

Gobbla2001
08-20-2003, 12:26 PM
I was driving around San Marco a couple of weeks back and noticed a lot of store signs and road signs had SWT on 'em... It's gunna suck to have to change all of those...

SWT or not, it's still a nice university in San Marcos...

Gilmer Buckeye
08-20-2003, 02:59 PM
3afan, a problem I see with admitting Colorado State is it would upset the north-south balance. It would make it 7-5 in favor of the north division.

I agree, though, that they probably have more of a fan/alumni base than a private school such as TCU or even a regional state school like UNT. There was a time in the 70s when UNT (then NTSU) under Hayden Fry was on the verge of becoming a powerhouse. They are just now getting back toward that level, what with recent bowl appearances.

I kinda miss Houston. I know they never had a fan base either, but the Texas-Houston rivalry was fun to watch when Houston was good under Bill Yeoman.

super1
08-24-2003, 04:03 PM
toby070:

3afan:
it's Texas State - don't live in the past ........... :p Sorry, I'm bordering on "old fart" age group, and dagnabit, it's SWT :D

Next we change from Bobcats to Armadillos? BTW, our local sports editor, who hated the change, ruffled some feathers a while back. The baseball team is already using a TS logo, and the logo is identical to the Texas Syndicate tatoos, popularized in our Texas prisons. He thinks SWT gear will be quite popular in Huntsville, in spite of the SWT/TSU vs Sam Houston Rivalry :) I agree. It is and always will be SWT in my book. But regardless of the name, going to school their was and is a great experience.

sinton66
08-24-2003, 05:48 PM
I know how you feel, Toby. I still refer to Texas "A&I" in Kingsville. Texas A&M, Kingsville still doesn't sound right.

As for D1 in the Big12, I think Rice or UH either one could make the transition easily. Think about it, Rice did it in Baseball.

PhiI C
08-24-2003, 06:09 PM
I know what you mean Sinton 66. The name may change but it still says Texas A&I on my diplomas (bachalor and master) so it will always be Texas A&I to me even though I may call it Texas A&M Kingsville for the benefit of the younger folks.