PDA

View Full Version : Smokey VIII

Eagle6Man
03-18-2006, 11:33 PM
A friend of mine has a boxer dog and the dog is very sick. The dog probably won't make it through the night. I just want to say, I firmly believe that pets are part of the family, and it hurts almost as bad as losing a relative....

God's speed LUCKY!

Smokey VIII

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Smokey VIII, the bluetick coonhound mascot with the most victories in Tennessee football history, died Friday from complications from high blood pressure and kidney disease, university officials said.

Still a pup when he started, Smokey VIII led the Volunteers onto the field and howled from the sidelines for eight seasons from 1995 through 2003, making his final appearance at the 2004 Peach Bowl in Atlanta.

The Vols compiled a 91-22 record, claimed two Southeastern Conference titles and won the 1998 national championship during his tenure.

"He served with distinction, weathered storms, cold and heat," said Earl Hudson, who owned the dog since it was two months old. "He came through it all real well and was always rearing to go. He was a great mascot."

Smokey VIII stepped down after being diagnosed in November 2003 with a nasal tumor. He received radiation treatment, then chemotherapy. He was given 13 months to live, but doubled that and lived to be more than 11 years old.

"He always came in with his tail wagging and a friendly howl," recalled Dr. Kate Stenske, his veterinarian. "He will be missed by all his friends at UT Veterinary Hospital."

Tennessee's line of Smokeys began in 1953 and is currently represented by Smokey IX.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/tenn/sports/other/smokeyIX-150.jpg
After a student poll sponsored by the Pep Club revealed a desire to select a live mascot for the University, the Pep Club held a contest in 1953 to select a coonhound, a native breed of the state, as the mascot to represent the school. Announcements of the contest in local newspapers read, “This can’t be an ordinary hound. He must be a ‘Houn’ Dog’ in the best sense of the word.”

The late Rev. Bill Brooks entered his prize-winning blue tick coon hound, “Brooks’ Blue Smokey,” in the contest. At halftime of the Mississippi State game that season, the dogs were lined up on the old cheerleaders’ ramp at Shields-Watkins Field. Each dog was introduced over the loudspeaker and the student body cheered for their favorite, with “Blue Smokey” being the last hound introduced. When his name was called, he barked. The students cheered and Smokey threw his head back and barked again. This kept going until the stadium was in an uproar and UT had found its mascot. Rev. Brooks supplied UT with the line of canines until his death in 1986 when his wife, Mildred, took over the caretaking role. She did so until 1994, when her brother and sister-in-law, Earl and Martha Hudson of Knoxville, took over responsibility for Smokey VII and eventually Smokey VIII, with Smokey IX now carrying on the banner of the Smokey lineage. Mrs. Brooks died in July 1997.

One of the most beloved figures in the state, Smokey is famous for leading the Vols out of the giant “T” prior to each home game. The dogs have led exciting lives. Smokey II was dognapped by Kentucky students in 1955 and later survived a confrontation with the Baylor Bear at the 1957 Sugar Bowl. Smokey VI, who suffered heat exhaustion in the 140-degree temperatures at the 1991 UCLA game, was listed on the Vols injury report until he returned later in the season. Smokey III compiled a 105-39-5 record and two SEC championships. Smokey VI, who passed away in 1991, was on the sidelines for three SEC championships. Smokey VIII is the winningest Smokey, having compiled a record of 91-22 (.805), with two SEC titles and the 1998 national championship. The newest Smokey, Smokey IX (left), was at his post at the 2004 Peach Bowl and will be on the sidelines for the season opener against UNLV Sept. 5.

lepfan
03-19-2006, 12:02 AM
I agree...we have friends in LG who have no children...their dogs were their kids. One New Year's Eve he was on call and he got called out to go to work...he called my hubby to fill in for him...because they were losing the dog as he spoke. One of my most memorable NYE's...going on a call out with hubby at midnight! Our friends were so appreciative of him for taking his call and allowing him to spend the last minutes with his dog.:(

mrescape43
03-19-2006, 09:17 AM
I was on duty one Sunday morning and the dispatcher called us on the phone and told us that a woman called and said her house was on fire and she couldn't get her babies out. When I got to the address I put on all gear pulled a hose and got ready to enter the house. I asked the lady which way to go and she told me to enter door go right to end of hall to bedroom and her babies were in there. Then she explained that her babies were 2 puppies. I treated the situation just as if it were children. Puppies didn't make it. They were curled up on bed and apparently didn't even wake up.