PDA

View Full Version : Some history on Wichita St.

turbostud
03-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I was in Alabama last month and got the chance to see the Wichita St. baseball team play in a tournament. Their fans were great. I got to talking to some of their fans and was told that they dont have a football program. Part of their football team was killed in a plane wreck in 1970. They havent played football since 1986.

History of Memorial '70
In an annual ceremony of remembrance, a wreath is placed at Wichita State's Memorial '70 at 9 a.m. each October 2. The brief ceremony honors WSU football players, administrators and supporters who died in a plane crash Friday, October 2, 1970.

In one of the worst tragedies of college sports history, a plane carrying WSU football players, athletic staff members and team boosters crashed at approximately at 3 p.m. on a mountain near Silver Plume, Colorado while enroute to Logan, Utah for a game with Utah State University.

The "Gold" plane, a Martin 404, carried 36 passengers and a crew of four. Twenty-nine persons died at the scene. Trainer Tom Reeves and player John Taylor died later after receiving medical attention for their injuries.
Survivors of the crash were players Mike Bruce, John Hoheisel, Randy Jackson, Glenn Kostal, Dave Lewis, Keith Morrison, Bob Renner, Rick Stephens and co-pilot Ronald Skipper.

Football players and coaches on the "Black" plane were told of the crash by Bob Seaman, assistant coach, shortly after arrival in Logan, Utah. The game with Utah State was cancelled. WSU players spent the night in Logan and returned to Wichita by commercial plane Saturday.

A plane was made available by Governor Docking to take university officials and family of the survivors to Denver. Classes were cancelled Monday, October 5, and a memorial service was held Monday evening at Cessna Stadium.

The Utah State football team held a brief memorial service at the stadium where the game was to be played Saturday and placed a black and yellow wreath on the 50-yard line.

The future of the 1970 football season was in doubt, with the decision lying in the hands of the football players, university officials and eligibility rules. The NCAA had no objection of using freshman in the remaining games; neither did the Missouri Valley Conference.

The football players decided to continue the season, which was later designated as the "Second Season." The first game following the air tragedy was Saturday, October 24 with the University of Arkanas Razorbacks in Little Rock at the War Memorial Stadium. The first home game was WSU's homecoming on October 31 against the University of Cincinnati at Cessna Stadium

Eagle6Man
03-18-2006, 10:48 PM

Old Tiger
03-18-2006, 10:49 PM

Matthew328
03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
very similar to what happened with Marshall U. around that time.....I never knew Wichita St. played football..

Old Dog
03-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Many of you know may not know of the tragedy that took the lives of many of the members of the 1927 Baylor basketball team. A train hit the team bus in Round Rock on the way to play UT.

A link to the story below:

http://www.baylor.edu/pr/index.php?id=18391

GreenMonster
03-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Go Shockers! Gene Stephenson is a fabulous baseball coach. Not sure if he has retired yet or not, getting close though I'm sure. That school has produced some great baseball teams and some great baseball players. Darren Dreifert is the most recent I can remember to come out of that program and make any real noise in the pros. Wichita State will forever be linked to one of the best trick plays ever successfully pulled off at the college world series. Hidden ball trick worked beautifully in the early 80's against someone. If there is a rain delay in this year's CWS ESPN will show it in one of their greatest moments of the CWS fillers. Good stuff. I really love the mascot there. The Wheat Shockers. The school has all but dropped the Wheat out of it though and they are simply known as the Shockers to the world now. Very unique mascot, only one that I am aware of. I have a buddy that lives in Wichita now and I'm seriously thinking about heading north to the CWS this year. His house in Wichita is about halfway to Omaha from here and he happens to have an extra bed. I think I just talked myself into it! I will be calling him up real quick and try to make arrangements to stay the night and see if he wants to tag along.

spiveyrat
03-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Wichita State is kind of like Lamar U in that there is a football stadium on campus, but there is no football. The mayor is currently trying to revive interest in WSU having a football team again. I hope they do build another program.

Gene Stevenson is still currently the baseball coach at WSU. Although, he actually did accept a position at OU last year before backing out of the deal and staying at WSU.