PDA

View Full Version : DMN Now Going with TO Story

kepdawg
03-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Sources: Cowboys, Owens have deal in principle

10:46 PM CST on Friday, March 17, 2006

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING -- The Cowboys have reached an agreement in principle with star receiver Terrell Owens, two sources said Friday night.

The sources said a formal announcement regarding the free-agent receiver is expected in the next few days.

Owner Jerry Jones and club spokesman Rich Dalrymple could not be reached for comment. Owens’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, could not be reached for comment.

Owens, 32, spent the past two seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles and scored 20 touchdowns in 21 games. But the Eagles deactivated the 32-year-old receiver for the final nine games of last season for conduct detrimental to the team after he frequently criticized club officials and quarterback Donovan McNabb because he was unhappy with his contract.

Still, he finished the season with 47 receptions for 763 yards and six touchdowns.

Owens would give the Cowboys the type of dynamic receiver they have not had since a neck injury forced Michael Irvin to retire after the 1999 season. Until last season, Owens had caught at least 77 passes for at least 1,100 yards in each of the past five seasons and played in the Pro Bowl five of the past six seasons.

Dallas hasn’t had a Pro bowl receiver since Irvin in 1995 and has had just one 1,000-yard receiver since 2000.

The addition of Owens should help an offense that struggled to score touchdowns at times last season. Dallas failed to score more than 14 points in six games, losing each of them. With Owens in the lineup drawing double coverage, it should create more one-on-one opportunities for receiver Terry Glenn and tight end Jason Witten.

And with Owens occupying at least one safety that means one less defender in the running game that Julius Jones has to be concerned about, which should make him more productive.

Owens will be playing for his third team in four seasons because he be toxic within a locker room. He has feuded with his last two quarterback – Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb – and each had a Pro Bowl on his resume.

He has thrown sideline temper tantrums when he doesn’t think he’s getting the ball enough and they’ve been directed at coaches and teammates, but there has never been any question about his work ethic or production.

The Cowboys are betting that coach Bill Parcells can handle Owens and prevent him from becoming a problem in the locker room.

Owens problems in Philadelphia began when he wanted his seven-year, $49 million contract restructured after he caught 80 passes for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns to help Philadelphia reach the Super Bowl in the first year of the deal.

Owens became Public Enemy No.1 to many Cowboys fans in 2000 when as a member of the San Francisco 49ers he sprinted to midfield and celebrated a touchdown on the star at Texas Stadium. In 2004, he turned in one of the finest performances by a receiver against the Cowboys when he caught six passes for 134 yards and touchdowns of 59, 27 and 16yards in a, 49-21, victory over the Cowboys on Monday Night Football.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

injuredinmelee
03-18-2006, 12:01 AM
this writing sounds like TO did it himself:

Owens will be playing for his third team in four seasons because he be toxic within a locker room. He has feuded with his last two quarterback – Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb – and each had a Pro Bowl on his resume

bullfrog_alumni_02
03-18-2006, 12:15 AM
this is a horrible idea...

kepdawg
03-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
this is a horrible idea...

It'll keep things exciting, so I like it!

SintonFan
03-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It'll keep things exciting, so I like it!
One of my favorite Chinese proverbs:
May you live in exciting times. :(
lol
I know it's "interesting" but it still applies.

Chief Ohera
03-18-2006, 12:24 AM
TO will do the DFW area wonders, he is a great role model, that is on the field, and his work ethic is second to none, just look at that man build,

this is by far jerry's best deal so far,
i don't like it when everyone bashes on Jerry, he is a great owner and businessman. and he has superbowl titles to back it up,

until next time.........

kepdawg
03-18-2006, 12:28 AM
SportsCenter just referenced the DMN's claim.

The more we're in the news the better!

SintonFan
03-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
TO will do the DFW area wonders, he is a great role model, that is on the field, and his work ethic is second to none, just look at that man build,

this is by far jerry's best deal so far,
i don't like it when everyone bashes on Jerry, he is a great owner and businessman. and he has superbowl titles to back it up,

until next time.........
I swear I've finally found bizarro PhilC...:doh:

pirate4state
03-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Eh, what can you do? Who knows, maybe he has seen the light!! :thinking: :smoker: :D