PDA

View Full Version : A "Good" Story

Bullaholic
03-17-2006, 01:17 PM
We all have "good" kids and "bad" kids in our towns, but it is always great to hear about the "good" kids. The following story is one like I like to read now and then, considering all of the misery the media presents us with each day. This was not an "earth shattering" or "heart rending" story, but a a good one.
Hats off to good kids everywhere who do the right thing---even when nobody is watching.

Student’s kindness has a special ring to it

"Wise County Messenger"
Published Thursday, March 16, 2006

By Robert Morgan

When I got to work Monday morning I was greeted by a phone call from Rhonda North, the mother of Bridgeport standout football player Jordan North. Her son had found a state championship cross country ring in the parking lot of Chicken Express and had been unsuccessful trying to find the owner.

The ring was engraved with “Jessica,” which they knew had to be Jessica Torres, a member of this year's championship team from Decatur High School. However, their search turned up more than a dozen listings for Torres.

Rhonda called me hoping I had a way to get in touch with her. I most certainly did, but with Jessica being a senior, I thought she may have been gone on spring break.

Nope, she answered immediately. And after I asked her if she had been taking care of her ring, she kind of stuttered. She was concerned that, after days of searching for it, it might have been a lost cause.

Not so.

Two weeks after losing it, North found Torres’ ring. When I told her I had the number to the person who had found it, she had a hard time believing me. It was almost as if I was trying to play a mean joke on her. Finally, she took down the number. I think she was on the verge of crying. I couldn’t be happier for her.

The best news, however, was a rival from the west side of the creek made it all possible. He could have ignored it, chunked it or even saved it for next year’s bonfire.

Jordan caught several passes last season and even mixed in some touchdowns, but he scored his biggest points of the year this weekend. Thanks for being such a class act. Students and parents from both communities could learn something from your honesty.

BullFrog Dad
03-17-2006, 01:36 PM
This story is another reason me and pretty much the whole town of Lake Worth are going to miss not being in the same district with the Bulls and Eagles the next two years. Good Luck to both schools!

Bullaholic
03-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks a lot, BFDad. I know Lake Worth and most of the other towns have good kids who would do the same. We will miss our friends in Lake Worth. Bridgeport, Decatur, and Lake Worth have had some of the best games the last few years---especially the 4OT thriller between the Bulls and Lake Worth last season. Best of luck in the "big city" league to the you and the Bullfrogs.