PDA

View Full Version : Was A&M over Syracuse REALLY an upset???

Adidas410s
03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
As many have pointed out, the Aggies were not a "true #12 seed" in that they were a top 4 team from a major conference. The committee held their SOS against them and put them at a 12 instead of a 10 or 11. Also, except for Syracuse's miracle run through the Big East Tourney, they were in reality a 9-11 seed. This game could just has easily been a 7/10 game as a 5/12 game. This game is just another example of the NCAA having some VERY unusual seeds this year.

What are your thoughts???

AggieJohn
03-17-2006, 11:06 AM
nah, it' wasn't an upset because a&m dominated for 38 minutes....and shut down the orangemen completely....

now it could be considered just because a&m was ranked lower

Phil C
03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I agree Adidas! I think our conference didn't get the respect it deserved either. With this great win by the Aggies it just goes to also so that our conference is better than a lot of people thought.

vet93
03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
You are correct in your logic in that these teams could have been seeded much differently. It is however, an upset in the sense that Syracuse is a traditional power in a traditionally powerful basketball conference. Whereas A&M has had very little success in basketball in the last 20 to 30 years.

Originally posted by Adidas410s
As many have pointed out, the Aggies were not a "true #12 seed" in that they were a top 4 team from a major conference. The committee held their SOS against them and put them at a 12 instead of a 10 or 11. Also, except for Syracuse's miracle run through the Big East Tourney, they were in reality a 9-11 seed. This game could just has easily been a 7/10 game as a 5/12 game. This game is just another example of the NCAA having some VERY unusual seeds this year.

What are your thoughts???

lostaussie
03-17-2006, 11:16 AM
i would like to see a&m win at least one more and then ut and kansas go fairly deep. then maybe the conferance might get some more respect. oklahoma didn't help the cause though. the mighty big east looks to be faliing apart.

KTJ
03-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by vet93
You are correct in your logic in that these teams could have been seeded much differently. It is however, an upset in the sense that Syracuse is a traditional power in a traditionally powerful basketball conference. Whereas A&M has had very little success in basketball in the last 20 to 30 years.

Bingo Bango.

Yes it was an upset. When Agricultural gets their first win in 25 years in the NCAA tourney over a team that was NC a few years ago, that's an upset.

What the freak has Agricultural be doing to not have made nor gotten a win the NCAA tourney since before I was born?

vet93
03-17-2006, 11:47 AM
KTJ...I think that the primary reason was neglect. Until Reed Arena was built G.Rollie was hardly a venue that inspired people to come to A&M. Melvin Watkins was the first attempt at finding a good bball coach...that didn't work out and then Gilespie was hired. Before that ...there was not much effort in finding a first rate basketball coach to head the program. Hopefully the Aggies can keep Gilespie for awhile.

Originally posted by KTJ
Bingo Bango.

Yes it was an upset. When Agricultural gets their first win in 25 years in the NCAA tourney over a team that was NC a few years ago, that's an upset.

What the freak has Agricultural be doing to not have made nor gotten a win the NCAA tourney since before I was born?

Adidas410s
03-17-2006, 11:48 AM
yeah right after my post I realized I didn't present both sides of the story but had some customers come in to work and didn't get a chance to go back and add that in. I was going to ask yall because I'm still undecided. It is and it isn't...

Old Tiger
03-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I know I was upset by the Aggies. Had Syracuse over A&M and LSU :(

Brahma73
03-17-2006, 05:43 PM
KTJ...I think that the primary reason was neglect. Until Reed Arena was built G.Rollie was hardly a venue that inspired people to come to A&M. Melvin Watkins was the first attempt at finding a good bball coach...that didn't work out and then Gilespie was hired. Before that ...there was not much effort in finding a first rate basketball coach to head the program. Hopefully the Aggies can keep Gilespie for awhile.

It wasn't all just about the facility. I was at A&M in the late 70's and G. Rollie White (aka The Holler House on the Brazos) was absolutely packed for every game. I know I've aged myself a bit with this statement, but it was awesome. The football team was respectable back then, as well, but truly men's basketball had a real neat run then under Shelby Metcalf. There was a group of players that included Rudy Woods (of Bryan HS), Vernon Smith, David Britton & Rynn Wright, that as I recall, went a couple of rounds into the Dance. Maybe Coach G. can continue to rekindle some of that magic.

One thing that made that old gym especially intimidating was the presence of the A&M band taking up one end of the facility all the way to the ceiling and blowing their a$$ off the whole game. It was pretty special!

vet93
03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
I was there during the mid eighties and remember some of what you are talking about....However, I wasn't so much referring to the loud atmosphere as I was on the facility itself as a recruiting tool. Nowadays, kids and coaches want to come to a school with top notch workout and playing facilities. G. Rollie was loud but it lacked alot in terms of being a great venue for basketball. It was also pretty uncomfortable for my grandparents during graduation. Those old wooden benches were pretty tough on the old rump!

Originally posted by Brahma73
It wasn't all just about the facility. I was at A&M in the late 70's and G. Rollie White (aka The Holler House on the Brazos) was absolutely packed for every game. I know I've aged myself a bit with this statement, but it was awesome. The football team was respectable back then, as well, but truly men's basketball had a real neat run then under Shelby Metcalf. There was a group of players that included Rudy Woods (of Bryan HS), Vernon Smith, David Britton & Rynn Wright, that as I recall, went a couple of rounds into the Dance. Maybe Coach G. can continue to rekindle some of that magic.

One thing that made that old gym especially intimidating was the presence of the A&M band taking up one end of the facility all the way to the ceiling and blowing their a$$ off the whole game. It was pretty special!

Cameron Crazy
03-17-2006, 06:35 PM
a&m dominated the whole game nice win aggies..

District303aPastPlayer
03-17-2006, 07:04 PM
yes it was an upset... they play in the best conference in america... period...

SintonFan
03-18-2006, 01:08 AM
For the Aggies to win against Syracuse like they did, I'd say it was a true upset. I just had a felling that while the Orangemen were good, A&M was way under-rated.

KL3
03-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Considering A&M was actually a point favorite at game time, it wasn't technically an upset.

espn1
03-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Good answer. You hit the nail on the head.

KTJ
03-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Agricultural is going to have their hands full today. Should be interesting.

vet93
03-18-2006, 12:19 PM
I agree KTJ....However, I was looking at the common opponents and the aggies held their own. If they play well, the aggies could make it interesting!

Originally posted by KTJ

GetRDoneStangs
03-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

KTJ

The University is called Texas A & M .....(Or A & M is ok as well) .and its seems you wish to be derogitory and call it "Agricultural" I understand you are upset at the way some of A & M's folks have posted here and other boards. But, the arrogance you are displaying is in effect the same as the what a few of the Ags are showing. I think it is below what I have seen you post in the past.. you are well respected and I usually enjoy what you have to say....

By the way, I did not attend Texas A & M, I am however an Aggie fan, but I respect The University of Texas as being a very good institution. I may have fun every once in a while and poke fun at my friends that are Texas Ex's, but ... that is just it fun and then go on .

Just my opinion....

vet93
03-18-2006, 01:18 PM
GetRdone....KTJ is using the "agricultural" term (Some use Aggsy) as retribution for some aggie fans substituting "t.u." in place of UT or The University of Texas. It really isn't a big deal. I don't use the term "t.u." but I know some aggies that do in order to irritate their longhorn buddies...the longhorn fans do the same thing with the above terms...it is all in good fun unless someone gets mad.

Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
KTJ

The University is called Texas A & M .....(Or A & M is ok as well) .and its seems you wish to be derogitory and call it "Agricultural" I understand you are upset at the way some of A & M's folks have posted here and other boards. But, the arrogance you are displaying is in effect the same as the what a few of the Ags are showing. I think it is below what I have seen you post in the past.. you are well respected and I usually enjoy what you have to say....

By the way, I did not attend Texas A & M, I am however an Aggie fan, but I respect The University of Texas as being a very good institution. I may have fun every once in a while and poke fun at my friends that are Texas Ex's, but ... that is just it fun and then go on .

Just my opinion....

Bulldog_12
03-18-2006, 01:23 PM
I know use the phrase "taco meat" for UT after seeing the ESPN U commercial. That was funny stuff.

Eagle6Man
03-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Awwww geeesh....

Old Tiger
03-18-2006, 01:29 PM
No matter how you look at it it was a 12 over a 5 so in my mind it was an upset

KL3
03-18-2006, 01:36 PM
It looks like homosexual certainly got more than they expected last night from Penn. Of course, I am talking about the university of texas, who earlier this year was voted the most gay-friendly school in the nation.

I guess we can all have new and fun ways to talk about another school on 3A downlow. This is a really good idea KTJ.

GetRDoneStangs
03-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
No matter how you look at it it was a 12 over a 5 so in my mind it was an upset

You are probably correct... I guess if any lower seeds beat a higher seed it could be an upset. I also believe if and when the Ags win any more games in the tourny they will be "upsets"...

But they will also be "W" 's... I am glad they decide them on the court and not on paper ! There have been some really good games this year so far.

Old Tiger
03-18-2006, 01:38 PM
To add to my earlier statement they get those seeds for a reason.

KTJ
03-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by KL3
It looks like homosexual certainly got more than they expected last night from Penn. Of course, I am talking about the university of texas, who earlier this year was voted the most gay-friendly school in the nation.

I guess we can all have new and fun ways to talk about another school on 3A downlow. This is a really good idea KTJ.

Calling UT "homosexual" is equal to calling A&M "racist university".

KTJ
03-18-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't think arrogance has anything to do with it more or less it's all in fun, right? If yall insist on calling us "t.u." and "t-sips", I don't see what the big deal in calling you Agricultural is. Isn't that what the A stands for in A&M? Agricultural and Mechanical?

Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
KTJ

Just my opinion....

GetRDoneStangs
03-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I know use the phrase "taco meat" for UT after seeing the ESPN U commercial. That was funny stuff.

ttt

I just saw it today!

Eagle6Man
03-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Ya know, maybe it's just me....but with both Texas and A&M both in the tournament..looks like we could support eact other against out of state foes instead of bickering among ourselves.

There is always time to play the "rival" card between teams, and forgive me for saying this...this isn't the time.

Old Tiger
03-18-2006, 03:03 PM
i WOULD cheer for A&M but they messed by bracket up :mad:

KL3
03-18-2006, 03:46 PM
KTJ, show me something saying we are the most racist school in the nation and you can call us whatever you want.

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2006, 04:21 PM
It ALL gets old.... :rolleyes: