PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't it have been Taft instead??

pirate44
03-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Sinton to be Bypassed (http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4633211)

there is video on the webpage

Phil C
03-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Actually they should bypass Taft also. They got three signal lights and usually you get stopped by at least one of them.

pirate44
03-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Actually they should bypass Taft also. They got three signal lights and usually you get stopped by at least one of them.
not to mention, their cops are ticket crazy.

AP Panther Fan
03-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

Agreed...I guess most of you Sinton folk have seen the road construction in the Gregory area. I'm just not certain what is going on with that. Wonder if it will simply be something like an overpass and then feed back into the existing 181 before Taft or if it is the beginning of an entire new roadway.

One thing for certain...with Sinton being the county seat, you will still get a certain amount of non-resident traffic. Also, from where we sit in the county, straight through Sinton is the route we take to get to Hwy 37, Mathis, San Antonio etc....

While the bypass will have an impact on business, I hope it will be limited. When the Hwy 35 bypass was built around Aransas Pass, there was some negative impact here, BUT there has been tremendous growth along the bypass...i.e. Super Walmart, Lowe's, a new Whataburger (opened last week) and Sutherland's now owns a huge track of land right across from Walmart/Lowes. I guess it depends how far out the bypass begins...ends. Hopefully it is not far from the city limits on either side.

sinton66
03-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Personally, I would rather see DOT do a bypass around Odem. The situation with the trains there is horrible. Holiday traffic thru Odem gets almost unbearable.

AP Panther Fan
03-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Personally, I would rather see DOT do a bypass around Odem. The situation with the trains there is horrible. Holiday traffic thru Odem gets almost unbearable.

Boy you aren't kidding! Recently spent several days over there at a baseball tournament. I didn't realize Hwy 77 went right through the town....extremely dangerous. I had a difficult time crossing the highway from the school's neighborhood over to the Dairy Queen.:eek:

injuredinmelee
03-16-2006, 11:47 AM
these bypasses kill alot of businesses and there is nothing that you can do about it once it happens. It does make it easier for travelers and for evacuations but it is a death sentence for the mom and pop Convenience store and the small diner. Start buying property now along the new route and open stores and resturants. It is killed many a west central texas town (stamford) and it is about to further kill Haskell and Munday etc.

pirate44
03-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
these bypasses kill alot of businesses and there is nothing that you can do about it once it happens. It does make it easier for travelers and for evacuations but it is a death sentence for the mom and pop Convenience store and the small diner. Start buying property now along the new route and open stores and resturants. It is killed many a west central texas town (stamford) and it is about to further kill Haskell and Munday etc.
I always thought, if they are doing it for quicker evacuations, why dont they close it off until it is actually needed. i mean, they have evacuation lanes on the freeways that are not to be used unless an evacuation is in place. if it will create a financial burden on a community, they should build the bypass and only open it in case of a hurricane.

pirate44
03-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Agreed...I guess most of you Sinton folk have seen the road construction in the Gregory area. I'm just not certain what is going on with that. Wonder if it will simply be something like an overpass and then feed back into the existing 181 before Taft or if it is the beginning of an entire new roadway.

One thing for certain...with Sinton being the county seat, you will still get a certain amount of non-resident traffic. Also, from where we sit in the county, straight through Sinton is the route we take to get to Hwy 37, Mathis, San Antonio etc....

While the bypass will have an impact on business, I hope it will be limited. When the Hwy 35 bypass was built around Aransas Pass, there was some negative impact here, BUT there has been tremendous growth along the bypass...i.e. Super Walmart, Lowe's, a new Whataburger (opened last week) and Sutherland's now owns a huge track of land right across from Walmart/Lowes. I guess it depends how far out the bypass begins...ends. Hopefully it is not far from the city limits on either side.
the bypass over the tracks in Gregoryis specifically being built as a result of the heavy rail traffic needed @ the new La Quinta Terminal. i hate waiting for trains there. :mad:

injuredinmelee
03-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I can tell you that I dont like having to travel down a highway and stop in 13 little towns on a 300 mile trip. I have soem towns that I am partial too and will exit and stop somewhere but the stopping in everytown kills my travel time and my gas mileage. Let me keep it on 73mph and cruise right by.

SintonFan
03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I think it could help Sinton in some ways. They are getting 3 million dollars in new sidewalks and stuff.

AP Panther Fan
03-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
the bypass over the tracks in Gregoryis specifically being built as a result of the heavy rail traffic needed @ the new La Quinta Terminal. i hate waiting for trains there. :mad:

makes sense....

I went to TXDOT website (which is a nightmare) to try to find info on the Sinton Bypass.

All I basically learned is that it will be State Hwy 89, 6.6 miles long, from US 181 (3.2 miles NW of Sinton) to US 181 (3.2 miles E of Sinton) and the cost will be $30,000,000....:eek:

SintonFan
03-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
makes sense....

I went to TXDOT website (which is a nightmare) to try to find info on the Sinton Bypass.

All I basically learned is that it will be State Hwy 89, 6.6 miles long, from US 181 (3.2 miles NW of Sinton) to US 181 (3.2 miles E of Sinton) and the cost will be $30,000,000....:eek:
All this while toll roads are going up illegally in SA.:doh:

AP Panther Fan
03-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
All this while toll roads are going up illegally in SA.:doh:

Yep, you should take a look at the TXDOT sight...some interesting statistics on how much of our gas taxes goes out of state...it will probably tick you off though...be warned.:D

SintonFan
03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Maybe it would be best to look later.:nerd:

Maroon87
03-16-2006, 01:19 PM

Amen to that...I always get caught.:mad:

pirate44
03-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I can tell you that I dont like having to travel down a highway and stop in 13 little towns on a 300 mile trip. I have soem towns that I am partial too and will exit and stop somewhere but the stopping in everytown kills my travel time and my gas mileage. Let me keep it on 73mph and cruise right by.
well, if they are building it for convenience, fine, but if they are building it for "quicker evacuations", then it could be a need of use basis. im not sure if it will hurt our community or not, because like sintonfan said, we are getting grant money to fix up downtown. i'll keep my fingers crossed

AP Panther Fan
03-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Maybe it would be best to look later.:nerd:

Good idea!:D

AP Panther Fan
03-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
well, if they are building it for convenience, fine, but if they are building it for "quicker evacuations", then it could be a need of use basis. im not sure if it will hurt our community or not, because like sintonfan said, we are getting grant money to fix up downtown. i'll keep my fingers crossed

I think it is probably for both reasons. With it costing $30M, it wouldn't be feasible to only open it for evacuations.

The downtown improvements will be positive and like I said, I don't think Sinton will dry-up and blow away because of it's strategic location to Hwys 77 and 37.

The neat little shops and restaurants might lose some business from pass-thru traffic, but I think they can become somewhat of a destination. (I know I enjoy going and would make the trip, not only to Sinton, but other similar towns ... Goliad, Refugio, Cuero etc..). I would imagine they will just pull up their boot-straps and make the best of the situation.:)

Old Green
03-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Personally, I would rather see DOT do a bypass around Odem. The situation with the trains there is horrible. Holiday traffic thru Odem gets almost unbearable. It would help Odem a bunch . I sat in traffic at Odem for 20 minutes Sunday waiting for the train to pass. By the time the train passed the traffic was backed up for a couple of miles.

Phil C
03-16-2006, 02:06 PM

I agree 66! That trafic at Odem is bad at times. And don't forget all those lights and downtown traffic at Refugio.

sinton66
03-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Everybody was saying Sinton would die when they built the 77 bypass, but it didn't. Best tract to have is at the junction of 77 and 181 bypasses.(Unfortunately, it'll be on the Hamilton Ranch.)

OnceABucJr
03-16-2006, 09:37 PM
181 Bypass will also cross 188 (Rockport Hwy) less than a mile from Sinton and create 4 prime corner tracts for future development. Of course, the Odem Family owns all of it!!!!!!!

sinfan75
03-16-2006, 09:50 PM
No need to worry before long every town from the Valley on north on 77 will be by-passed because it will be the new I-69 corridor. As far as the 181 by-pass hurtin Sinton? Ain't that much traffic goin down 181 into Sinton. 77 by-pass has 3 times as much traffic. That didn't kill Sinton and 181 ain't gonna kill it either. Too many snowbirds know about this town for it to die. Believe it or not they like Sinton because of it's small town atmosphere and its golf course. Besides the only people in Sinton cryin about the by-pass are the ones that didn't get it goin through their land.

turbostud
03-16-2006, 09:52 PM
This thread reminds me of Alice.

sinfan75
03-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh and for the 2 or 3 years it takes to build this by-pass it will also creat some jobs for the local folk and also pump some bucks into the economy because these people are gonna have to eat drink and sleep somewhere.

pirate4state
03-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Besides the only people in Sinton cryin about the by-pass are the ones that didn't get it goin through their land. LMAO!!!