PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a few tourney picks -

Haunta Yo
03-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Most people just pick based on rankings. I do a little more research before throwin down my $10. Still I have some watershed games that I need some help with:

Mascot 101 - Mountaineer or Saluki?

Letter Power – Gonzaga has a “Z” which makes it worth 18 scrabble points, but Xavier STARTS with an 8 point “X” for a total of 16. How do ya feel about Xavier pickin’ up a triple word score?

2 if by Sea – How does Pacific vs. Boston College play out since BC plays in the ATLANTIC Coast Conference? Do I lean towards the bigger ocean?

The Pretenders – Is it OK to pick a “St.” school (Murry St., Wichita St., Kent St….) even if they don’t really have congressional representation?

St. Patty’s Day Dilemma – George Mason and Michigan St. BOTH have Green Uni’s and play on the 17th. GM does have more of a “Kelly” Green look. Is it too much of a stretch?

It’s Greek to me – Georgetown’s chant “hoya saxa” utilizes the power of two “Dead” Languages - Greek and Latin. Rumor has it that Northern Iowa plans to counter with “IZZLE”. Advantagizzle or “Iacta alea est”?

District303aPastPlayer
03-16-2006, 10:50 AM
i got the Saluki's over WVU in the first round :eek: :eek:

Adidas410s
03-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i got the Saluki's over WVU in the first round :eek: :eek:

Here is why I like WVU. Not only do they have an experience team with good tourney records...they have a lot of quality wins on the road.

@ BlowU - won 92-68
@ 'Nova - won 91-87
@ UCLA - won 60-56
@ Georgetown - won 69-56

"Good" Road Losses

@ Pitt - lost 57-53
@ Texas - lost 76-75 <--- this game was on a neutral floor

I have WVU going to the Sweet 16 and could definitely see them beating Texas...though I made a homer pick and kept Texas going in my bracket...

District303aPastPlayer
03-16-2006, 11:01 AM
i got Texas going to the Elite 8... only to lose to Duke again. . .

eagles_victory
03-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i got the Saluki's over WVU in the first round :eek: :eek: Are you sure your not thinking about Witchita State again like that one time you were reporting SIU was up by 6 in a great game for like 3 post and they were losing the whole time lol..

District303aPastPlayer
03-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Are you sure your not thinking about Witchita State again like that one time you were reporting SIU was up by 6 in a great game for like 3 post and they were losing the whole time lol..

yeah, im sure... SIU over WVU... although im rethinking that right now with Gansey...

KTJ
03-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I have SIU over West Virginia. They have been playing like [insert bad word here] as of late.

Haunta Yo
03-16-2006, 11:51 AM
All valid points, but isn't a Saluki a cooler mascot name than Mountaineer...

I've decided SALUKI !

Any thoughts on the others...