PDA

View Full Version : POLL: T.O. a Cowboy? Should Jerry sign him?

Eagle6Man
03-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Terrell Owens: Should the Cowboys sign him?

http://www.dfw.com/images/dfw/dfw/14105/198958485545.jpg

Chief Ohera
03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
most certainly, we need to get him, he will bring so much publicity to the city and with the new stadium coming it will just get even better,
he is an outstanding player and i believe that parcells can control him

bring on TO

UNTIL next time.........

STANG RED
03-15-2006, 05:37 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a deep breath.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If for no other reason, because the Cheif is for it. That ought to tell you guys it's a bad idea right there.

Any questions?

mrescape43
03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

Take a deep breath.

If for no other reason, because the Cheif is for it. That ought to tell you guys it's a bad idea right there.

Any questions?

Is there a possibility that you aren't a TO fan? LOL :D :D :D J/K

Adidas410s
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM

Take a deep breath.

Any questions?

You sound like the Spanish announcer announcing David Ortiz' latest HR in the WBC....:thumbsup:

STANG RED
03-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Is there a possibility that you aren't a TO fan? LOL :D :D :D J/K

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.....................well you get the jest. :D

TexasHSFootball
03-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Let TO sign a long term contract... Too bad there isnt a fourth option that says.. Yes and let him obliterate the franchise just like he has in Philadelphia and San Francisco.

:devil:

STANG RED
03-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
You sound like the Spanish announcer announcing David Ortiz' latest HR in the WBC....:thumbsup:

NO CHIT? I din meen to. :devil:

you have to say it with a full mexican accent to get the full effect.:D

Old Tiger
03-15-2006, 06:39 PM
DO IT!

bevo
03-15-2006, 08:05 PM
No...

Not taking anything away from his talent. But the only way to sign him would be an extensive contract pertaining to his actions…

That would be the only logical transaction that would benefit the organization in signing him or any other athlete with his history. But for what ever it’s worth...we all know what Tom Landry and Tex Schram would do in their day! :rolleyes:

Chief Ohera
03-15-2006, 08:35 PM
yes we need TO, we need everything about him, we need some of his winning swagger and some of his arrogance,
TO is not that bad, i believe that he is just badly "misunderstood" like Mr. Bonds.

TO is the one athlete that i have always admired even though i don't agree with some of his antics, he is a great showman and one heck of a WR.

Sign him JJ.
until next time...............

Adidas410s
03-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
TO is not that bad, i believe that he is just badly "misunderstood" like Mr. Bonds.

How is Bonds "musunderstood?" I would just LOVE to know...

LH Panther Mom
03-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
How is Bonds "musunderstood?" I would just LOVE to know...
I'm just waiting "till next time" for this answer. ;)

Adidas410s
03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm just waiting "till next time" for this answer. ;)

yeah...we'll find out "next time" what the answer is!!! :thinking:

piratebg
03-15-2006, 09:07 PM
I have mixed feelings about this one. There is no doubt that he is one hell of a receiver and has made an impact on the teams that he has played for. On the other note, he is personality has brought a lot of unwanted attention and , IMO, he has a problem with authority. I don't know what to think at this point. I just hope that Jerry knows what he is doing when the time comes.

injuredinmelee
03-15-2006, 09:15 PM
i feel ab out TO about like I feel for the Cowboys. Jerry Jones makes piss poor personnel decisions. This will be just another example. I guess it is good that he isnt as bad as Daniel Snyder but he is still terrible. I know the one gainesville guy gets his drawers in a wad when I talk trash about JJ but why bring a cancer like To on board. Who is going to throw To the ball? Bledsoe is way past his prime and will never ever evver lead a team to the Superbowl again. WHo will they hand the ball off too since you cant throw to TO everydown? Julius hasnt proven he can stay healthy a full season. Who will block so Bledsoe isnt running for his life every down? There are alot more needs than a cancerous loser like TO.

mrescape43
03-15-2006, 10:21 PM
I am thinking that they should sign TO. I haven't cared for the Cowboys since J Jones treated Tom Landry the way he did. It wouldn't bother me if the Cowboys don't win another game as long as Jerry Jones is owner of the team. I know it was time for Landry to retire but it should have been handled differently. And how bright is it to fire the coach that put together a team that won back to back superbowls. I think J Jones has had so many facelifts that it has cut off the oxygen supply to his pea brain. JMO

Dogman_1969
03-15-2006, 10:50 PM
I say noway to TO. I do believe it is a done deal and TO will be a Cboy. I have already taken my favorite Cowboy hat and cut the Star out and turned it upside down in protest.............

big daddy russ
03-16-2006, 12:38 AM
1. The T.O. situation has been overexaggerated by the media. Period. If the Dolphins or Texans showed interest (my favorite teams), I'd be all for it.

2. After working in the field for a few years, I know how reporters operate. The only reason he's ever been considered a cancer is because he's one of those guys that the media actively looks for ways to get into trouble. I know everybody pins it on him because it's the easy thing to do, but you have to look at the situation from both sides of the coin. There's a reason he went from an all-quote, comedic relief-type of guy earlier in his career into a recluse, and the blame can't be pointed entirely to him.

3. Keyshawn was a worse "cancer" earlier in his career and never had the talent that T.O. does. Even after Keyshawn's abilities faded, he still carried that attitude with him from Tampa Bay to Dallas.

Drew Bledsoe stood him down on the sidelines and then played it down in the media. Nobody wants to give Bledsoe the credit he deserves for being a guy of top-notch integrity. That's why Bledsoe is a Parcells "guy." That's the kind of guy that anyone's willing to play for, even if it doesn't get the media attention of a circus like Philly.

4. The worst thing the 'Boys can do will be to overpay Owens. Looks like that's going to happen.

Jeff Garcia may be the biggest baby in the league and Keyshawn Johnson is the biggest "cancer," but T.O. is the biggest circus. If Dallas can reign in that circus and keep the atmosphere as professional as they can, then Owens will stop putting himself in as many compromising situations, particularly with the media.

STANG RED
03-16-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i feel ab out TO about like I feel for the Cowboys. Jerry Jones makes piss poor personnel decisions. This will be just another example. I guess it is good that he isnt as bad as Daniel Snyder but he is still terrible. I know the one gainesville guy gets his drawers in a wad when I talk trash about JJ but why bring a cancer like To on board. Who is going to throw To the ball? Bledsoe is way past his prime and will never ever evver lead a team to the Superbowl again. WHo will they hand the ball off too since you cant throw to TO everydown? Julius hasnt proven he can stay healthy a full season. Who will block so Bledsoe isnt running for his life every down? There are alot more needs than a cancerous loser like TO.

I said basically the same thing Injured and was told I was stupid and idiotic. I guess you must be to. At least I'm in good company.

sww-bull52
03-16-2006, 07:55 AM
I still don't like the idea of TO becoming a Cowboy, but maybe Parcels can nip the circus in the bud and just make TO play football instead of playing to the media.

injuredinmelee
03-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I said basically the same thing Injured and was told I was stupid and idiotic. I guess you must be to. At least I'm in good company.

Its the ones that are drinking way too much of the Cowboys Jerry Jones Kool Aid that have their blue and silver blinders on that think we are idiotic. Is TO the one piece that will put the Boys back in the playoffs? If they can answer that question honestly without thier fan bias they will realize why tie up so much money in one man when you can use it to go get some linemen or some safeties that can cover. WIlliams is great against the run but neither he or the other safety can cover against the pass. How many big plays this year by the pass were right up the middle against the boys? What about some linebackers and dlinemen that can rush the passer? They made some strides with the draft last year but efensively they have a long way to go to be championship caliber.

injuredinmelee
03-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
I still don't like the idea of TO becoming a Cowboy, but maybe Parcels can nip the circus in the bud and just make TO play football instead of playing to the media.
I will give you that Parcells is probably the only coach that could corral his antics but for how long and at what cost to the rest of the franchise? I know he is no Drew Henson or Chad Hutchison.

Eagle6Man
03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Here's what I don't understand.

Dan Campbell, gone.
Keyshawn gone.
Can't think of the defensive line guy's name, gone.

All of these guys were "Bill" guys and had leadership rolls in the locker room. All of them by the way, didn't think TO was a good fit for the club. I'm feeling like the table is getting set for the introduction of TO coming to Dallas.

My feeling is this. Just my opinion, but I'm thinking the Cowboys needed to address alot of other different things than TO.

SintonFan
03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Here's the results from a poll at Terrellowens.com
What was your favorite Terrell Owens Celebration?

The Dallas Star

The Pom-Poms

The Sharpie

Other Celebration

votes: 15186
Hmmmmm..... methinks we forget all too soon.:thinking:
Here's the link. (http://www.terrellowens.com/reproduction.php?vo=1)

Macarthur
03-16-2006, 12:59 PM

Stang is referring to my post. I, again, apologize for using too harsh a language. And I didn't call you personally stupid or an idiot.

However, the issue I have with yours & melee's post is the Bledsoe thing. He played pretty darn good last year and was headed to the pro bowl until his OL broke down. If the Cowboys had a decent kicker last year, they would have made the playoffs. And yes, I do believe TO would make them an instant playoff team, no question. They were very close (a FG or two away) to being that last year without him. I agree that they need more players, but just because they sign TO doesn't preclude them from going out and getting a S or an OT.

For the record, I don't like TO. I think he's a spoiled brat. However, I too think his situation has been overblown. Many want to talk about how he destroyed the Eagles. How do you figure? The Eagles were on pace to make the playoffs when McNabb got hurt. McNabb's injury derailed the Eagles, not TO. Was he a distraction? No doubt, but I suspect the Eagles will be right back in the hunt this year. So how have they been destroyed? They took a chance on him and they made the superbowl. Had they won that Superbowl, do you think the EAgles fans would have said it was worth it?

STANG RED
03-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Stang is referring to my post. I, again, apologize for using too harsh a language. And I didn't call you personally stupid or an idiot.

However, the issue I have with yours & melee's post is the Bledsoe thing. He played pretty darn good last year and was headed to the pro bowl until his OL broke down. If the Cowboys had a decent kicker last year, they would have made the playoffs. And yes, I do believe TO would make them an instant playoff team, no question. They were very close (a FG or two away) to being that last year without him. I agree that they need more players, but just because they sign TO doesn't preclude them from going out and getting a S or an OT.

For the record, I don't like TO. I think he's a spoiled brat. However, I too think his situation has been overblown. Many want to talk about how he destroyed the Eagles. How do you figure? The Eagles were on pace to make the playoffs when McNabb got hurt. McNabb's injury derailed the Eagles, not TO. Was he a distraction? No doubt, but I suspect the Eagles will be right back in the hunt this year. So how have they been destroyed? They took a chance on him and they made the superbowl. Had they won that Superbowl, do you think the EAgles fans would have said it was worth it?

We will just have to agree that we disagree on TO.
As far a Bledsoe goes, dont get me wrong at all. I like Drew Bledsoe, and I agree that he played "pretty darn good". I just dont think that pretty darn good is gonna be good enough. I would love to see him at Dallas as a kinda player/coach position, filling in as a mentor and the go to backup qb. I dont think he would stand for it, or stay there to do that, because some other team would probably offer him a starting job. But in an ideal world, that is how I see it.
As for TO, no he didnt destroy the eagles franchise, but he certainly did destroy a lot of team chemisty during his last days there.

Macarthur
03-16-2006, 02:33 PM
We will just have to agree that we disagree on TO.
As far a Bledsoe goes, dont get me wrong at all. I like Drew Bledsoe, and I agree that he played "pretty darn good". I just dont think that pretty darn good is gonna be good enough. I would love to see him at Dallas as a kinda player/coach position, filling in as a mentor and the go to backup qb. I dont think he would stand for it, or stay there to do that, because some other team would probably offer him a starting job. But in an ideal world, that is how I see it.
As for TO, no he didnt destroy the eagles franchise, but he certainly did destroy a lot of team chemisty during his last days there.

Sure, I think we just have different views on it and that's fine.

Phantom Stang
03-16-2006, 02:51 PM
The No column just pulled ahead by one vote. Thanks to yours truely. ;) :p

SintonFan
03-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
The No column just pulled ahead by one vote. Thanks to yours truely. ;) :p
Make that 2 votes.;)

Buccaneer
03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
TO wants the ball, he wants to win and he wants to get paid. He worked his butt off and took a chance on reinjuring himself to try to win the Superbowl. He had his problems last year because the Eagles would not restructure his contract. He is still one of the best receivers in the game. Wasn't Keyshawn making 5 million a year?

Eagle6Man
03-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Frankly, I am pretty surprised on how close the vote is.

Eagle6Man
03-17-2006, 10:59 AM
It appears the ego has landed
Owens' signing will be undoing of Jones, Parcells relationship

07:27 AM CST on Friday, March 17, 2006

Tim Cowlishaw

The NCAA Tournament begins in Dallas today, but don't be confused. March Madness does not arrive here until next week.

That's when Jerry Jones rolls out the welcome mat for Terrell Owens, and he will gleefully stomp on it as he did the Texas Stadium star in 2000. Then the discussions begin on whether Owens or Jones is the most despised sports figure in town.

The bottom line: T.O. is bad news for the Cowboys, bad news for local beat writers who must chronicle his antics on a daily basis and great news for columnists, who thrive on easy topics, i.e. targets.

And since you can't spell Tim without a big "I" in the middle, I just got to admit that I agree with one famous T.O. utterance: "I love me some me."

So bring him on down, Jerry, and let's watch the Cowboys unravel. Not to mention the fact that your relationship with Bill Parcells, one that has been far less volatile than many imagined, will go right down the toilet.

Word began leaking out of Valley Ranch last week that Owens would be a Cowboy in 2006. When Philadelphia released Owens and the Cowboys released Keyshawn Johnson – sort of a T.O. starter kit in every sense of the word – it all started to fall into place.

Makes too much sense in a Jerry sort of way, even if it makes no sense in a football or team chemistry sort of way.

Doesn't make any sense in a Parcells sort of way, though. You really think at age 64 he wants to coach this guy, regardless of talent?

Parcells thought Antonio Bryant was too much of a headache. That's the Bryant who, by the way, just signed a four-year, $15 million deal with the 49ers.

So after this move takes place, if anyone out there is still trying to sell the line that Parcells calls all the football shots for Dallas, consider that person either uninformed or insane.

You can expect Owens to be a Cowboy this season and you can expect Parcells to be an ex-Cowboys coach in 2007. The contract extension Jones gave him at the end of a failed 2005 season means nothing other than Parcells getting more money out of the owner, and the owner having no idea where to turn once Parcells heads for Saratoga.

The Cowboys apparently are not worried about competition for Owens' services. Parcells met with Owens' lovable agent, Drew Rosenhaus, at the combine in Indianapolis, and it's likely that the Jones family has already worked out terms on a new deal that will keep T.O. happy until at least the third week of training camp in Oxnard.

Owens will be the best receiver the Cowboys have had since Michael Irvin was in his prime. There's not much doubt about that. He can get open on routes and against coverages that Keyshawn could not.

But Jones is making a mistake in thinking that there is anything magical about the environment at Valley Ranch, that the things that drove T.O. crazy in San Francisco and Philadelphia won't be in place in Dallas.

Heck, the Cowboys don't even have as good a team as the 49ers had when they were going to playoff games and to the NFC championship in 1997. They are nowhere near as sound as the Eagles team that went to a Super Bowl two years back.

But perhaps Jones believes that it worked once with Charles Haley and produced Lombardi Trophies, so it can work again. Let's hope he doesn't think that, because it is nonsense.

That team had strong leadership with Irvin, Troy Aikman, Ken Norton and more.

Who are the strong vocal leaders that are going to keep Owens in line? I'd like to see Mat McBriar take a little bigger bite out of the leadership role, but don't think it's going to happen.

Owens is a man who tried to publicly humiliate both the starting quarterbacks he spent years with, Pro Bowl quarterbacks at that. Owens spread rumors that Jeff Garcia was gay. He called Donovan McNabb a house man, questioned his leadership and said the team would be better off with Brett Favre.

This man is going to come here and defer to Drew Bledsoe? A guy who wasn't happy on teams that made deep playoff runs is going to become a good locker room presence on a club that has gone nine years without a postseason victory?

You don't need any more evidence than what is out there. Owens is a marvelous talent incapable of putting the needs of a team ahead of his self-interest. He has taken the role of "it's all about me" whiny millionaire athlete to a level that Barry Bonds or Stephon Marbury can't approach.

There is even rumor that some Cowboys sales people have been told to prepare for a deluge of season-ticket requests when the announcement is made next week.

Oh, the deluge is coming to Dallas all right. But it's got nothing to do with tickets.

LH Panther Mom
03-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
It appears the ego has landed
Owens' signing will be undoing of Jones, Parcells relationship

:confused: Do you have a link?

Eagle6Man
03-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Yes, it's from a premium site, wasn't sure everyone could access.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/031706cpfreecowlishaw.3357a2c3.html

zeus63
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
What Dallas needs is to get rid of Jerry Jones and beg Jimmy Johnson to come coach again. As great a coach as Parcells is, he is still a politician with Jones and he still walks around smelling POO all day.

Eagle6Man
03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Zeus, you have hit on the best idea of all in this scenerio.

Unfortunately, wisdom always goes out the window and defers to money.

1) Jerry has the money to own the Cowboys.

2) TO will get his inmature way.

3) I agree this will probably start the beginning of the end of Bill Parcells.

4) And so in the end, it's proof positive that just because someone has money, it doesn't make them a genius. See George Steinbrenner.

5) Why can't there be zillionaire that has some sense, own the Cowboys. I have an idea. I just need the zillion bucks..

:thinking:

zeus63
03-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
Zeus, you have hit on the best idea of all in this scenerio.

Unfortunately, wisdom always goes out the window and defers to money.

1) Jerry has the money to own the Cowboys.

2) TO will get his inmature way.

3) I agree this will probably start the beginning of the end of Bill Parcells.

4) And so in the end, it's proof positive that just because someone has money, it doesn't make them a genius. See George Steinbrenner.

5) Why can't there be zillionaire that has some sense, own the Cowboys. I have an idea. I just need the zillion bucks..

:thinking:

Yeah, I know you are right. However, I do still have my dream.

Ideal situation: Owner's association force Jones to sell and then committ himself to a mental insitution. Then, Jimmy Johnson comes back as the owner/head coach and starts to crack skulls, like he used to and takes the Boys to the Big Show.

Again, that is the best thing about dreams. It may not be what will actually take place, but it's nice to think of what could be.

duckbutter
03-17-2006, 12:04 PM
TO needs to be banned from the NFL for LIFE. Great talent but not worth the headache.

pirate4state
03-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter
TO needs to be banned from the NFL for LIFE. Great talent but not worth the headache. Banned? For what? Being an ________??? If that were the case we wouldn't have any games to watch on Sunday.