PDA

View Full Version : webcam help

pirate44
03-15-2006, 08:47 AM
i have a digital camcorder i would love to use as a webcam (i want to do the same thing for my parents computer too with their dig camcorder).
has anyone on here done that and if so, can they give me the steps and what i need? i have a firewire card. i have a feeling im gonna have a difficult time with dial-up, but id like to give it a try.

cdlvj
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
1. Make sure you have no tape in unit, otherwise the camera will cut off after a set time.

2. Attach via your firewire.

3. Get Yahoo messenger, and id. You may already have one.

4. Login in, and on the menu there should be a item for camera, which should find the camera. A box pops up with your images.

5. initiate messages with the other party. They have a menu item to view cam. It then asks you for permission if they can view, and then they get your image. There is an option to allow anyone to view, or restrict to those you permit. The latter is the default.

pirate44
03-15-2006, 01:44 PM
that sounds easy enough. thanks a bunch. will i beable to transfer the image real-time or will it be a frame updated so often. i was afraid dail-up would affect this. my parents who i want to share the images with will have dsl. im not sure if this makes any difference.
also, my parents only have usb. do they need to get a firewire card or something better?
thanks again for the help.

cdlvj
03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
that sounds easy enough. thanks a bunch. will i beable to transfer the image real-time or will it be a frame updated so often. i was afraid dail-up would affect this. my parents who i want to share the images with will have dsl. im not sure if this makes any difference.
also, my parents only have usb. do they need to get a firewire card or something better?
thanks again for the help.

It is pretty much real time. There is an option to set for lower quality/better faster/slower.

I use usb, works just as well.

On the parents side, with dsl will be ok, it just will be very slow and the dial up side.

You may also have to hunt down a driver, which should have come with the camera. Otherwise you should be able to find it on the camera's www site.

XP already has a lot of the drivers, but if the yahoo does not find your camera, then you will have to find the latest.

pirate44
03-15-2006, 02:10 PM
cool, thanks. great info.