PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's list of 100 Influencial NCAA Athletes

Phil C
03-14-2006, 09:15 AM
They had an impressive list and I wouldn't know who to eliminate but there were some obvious absensces (or snubbs?). Coach Paul (Bear Bryant) of Alabama was not on the list which also didn't include the great Kentucky Basketball Coach Adolph Rupp (spelling?) but maybe he didn't play basketball in college but Coach Bryant did play football.

Emerson1
03-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Post a link to it

Phil C
03-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Post a link to it

I watched it last night on ESPN classics but I don't think they have a link. I recorded it and will post the names later when I have time.

smustangs
03-14-2006, 09:52 AM
if bear bryant wasnt on the list that is a snubb he has had a lot of imphasis on college football

District303aPastPlayer
03-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by smustangs
if bear bryant wasnt on the list that is a snubb he has had a lot of imphasis on college football

was his impact more on the game as a coach or as a player?

I would think that the Michigan Fab 5 would be on this list simply because they changed the way the game was played... from traditional basketball to a more street-ball oriented style.

Phil C
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by smustangs

They had Joe Paterno in it and I think he was in the top 40. He was even ranked way ahead of Vince Lombardi! :eek:

Tom Landry didn't even make the list yet his teams won 2 out of five super bowls and he created the zone defense and revived the shotgun offense.

Emerson1
03-14-2006, 10:48 AM
ESPN's list of 100 Influencial NCAA Athletes

Tom Landry was a coach in the nfl.

District303aPastPlayer
03-14-2006, 10:49 AM

:wave:

GO FAB 5

Phil C
03-14-2006, 11:44 AM

It doesn't matter. He was still an NCAA athlete. He played defensive back at UT during the 40s.

Vince Lombardi is on the list way behind Joe Paterno and he coached in the nfl.

Phil C
03-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Dr. Denton Cooley was 38th on the list. He lettered three years in basketball at UT (1939-1941) and was a pioneer of open heart surgery and performed the first heart transplant in 1968 and the first artificial heart transplant in 1969. He was the only UT ex on the list.

pirate4state
03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Post a link to it link (http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_events/press_room/2006/march/100sa_list.pdf)

This is the list in alphabetical order. Couldn't find the list from #100 to #1.

:doh: well this may not be the same list! :confused: :(

BUT it is a list!! :D :nerd:

Phil C
03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
link (http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_events/press_room/2006/march/100sa_list.pdf)

This is the list in alphabetical order. Couldn't find the list from #100 to #1.

:doh: well this may not be the same list! :confused: :(

BUT it is a list!! :D :nerd:

Good job! It isn't in the order as you said but those were the ones on the list.

Steer Fever
03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Why don't we throw VY in there. Isn't he the greatest of all time?

Chief Ohera
03-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Barry Bonds' to me is the most influencial athlete of all time, what a man and player, and all of the steroid books are just bogus, none of it is real.

until next time

PhiI C
03-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Steer Fever
Why don't we throw VY in there. Isn't he the greatest of all time? I think they want a little age on them before they list them though Steer. His story is far from being finished as of today.

Steer Fever
03-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Oh he is finished! there is no way he will make a quality Qb in the nfl and scouts are starting to second guess themselves about taking him. Look what N.O. paying thta much for a QB off of shoulder surgery that prob has max 3 yr of good ball. VY rigfht will meet some LB who can run with him and he will take his life and come back to live in teasippin land with all the hippies and liberals where people will make him feel good about himself b/c his head is pretty dang big, and when he drops in the draft and becomes one of the top ten draft bust of all time somone will need to console him and the bums on the street will be there to give it to him.

LH Panther Mom
03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Steer Fever
Oh he is finished! there is no way he will make a quality Qb in the nfl and scouts are starting to second guess themselves about taking him. Look what N.O. paying thta much for a QB off of shoulder surgery that prob has max 3 yr of good ball. VY rigfht will meet some LB who can run with him and he will take his life and come back to live in teasippin land with all the hippies and liberals where people will make him feel good about himself b/c his head is pretty dang big, and when he drops in the draft and becomes one of the top ten draft bust of all time somone will need to console him and the bums on the street will be there to give it to him.

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
(Personally, I think the Chief might be close friends with Steer Fever. :eek: :eek: )
Seeeee? :D

Phil C
03-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This is the link that shows the order.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/9310617