PDA

View Full Version : Big Red appreciation thread

pirate44
03-13-2006, 09:35 PM
The Big Red Ice Cream

Mix 1 can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (I use 1 ½ cans) with about 16 oz (approx. size of carton sold by HEB) of frozen diced strawberries with sugar added into your ice cream mixer. Make sure your strawberries are thawed out prior to mixing. Add enough Big Red to your mixer to reach the “fill line” (it takes me about ¾ of a three liter). Let your ice cream maker do the rest. It takes much less time for the ice cream maker if the Big Red is chilled before you add it.

LH Panther Mom
03-13-2006, 09:43 PM
That sounds like more work than what I remember my mom putting into it. But, even though I don't like Big Red, THAT sounds good. :thumbsup:

pirate44
03-13-2006, 09:46 PM
i wonder if it works with rootbeer and some other fruit. maybe rutabaga :thinking:

LH Panther Mom
03-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Heck if I know. She just mixed the Big Red with the Eagle brand, put it in an ice tray (the kind that the cube thingys came out) and stuck it in the freezer....no strawberries. She also used Shasta Orange sometimes.

Rutabaga? :eek:

pirate4state
03-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
The Big Red Ice Cream

Mix 1 can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (I use 1 ½ cans) with about 16 oz (approx. size of carton sold by HEB) of frozen diced strawberries with sugar added into your ice cream mixer. Make sure your strawberries are thawed out prior to mixing. Add enough Big Red to your mixer to reach the “fill line” (it takes me about ¾ of a three liter). Let your ice cream maker do the rest. It takes much less time for the ice cream maker if the Big Red is chilled before you add it. something else to try. thanks.

Cameron Crazy
03-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Sounds good...i should try it..

marlin fan
03-14-2006, 12:44 AM
GO BIG RED!!!!

BreckTxLonghorn
03-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
The Big Red Ice Cream

Mix 1 can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (I use 1 ½ cans) with about 16 oz (approx. size of carton sold by HEB) of frozen diced strawberries with sugar added into your ice cream mixer. Make sure your strawberries are thawed out prior to mixing. Add enough Big Red to your mixer to reach the “fill line” (it takes me about ¾ of a three liter). Let your ice cream maker do the rest. It takes much less time for the ice cream maker if the Big Red is chilled before you add it.

Do you pack the ice cream maker with ice and rock salt like in making ice cream? or am I misreading this?

pirate44
03-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Do you pack the ice cream maker with ice and rock salt like in making ice cream? or am I misreading this?
yeah, make it just like you would ice cream. salt, ice and all. and if you like hard work, go get a hand crank machine

spiveyrat
03-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Did RM ever post the recipe for the Big Red cake??? :thinking:

pirate44
03-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Did RM ever post the recipe for the Big Red cake??? :thinking:
i think it was in a thread for pirate4state

spiveyrat
03-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Yep, I found it. Thanks!

3ABirdMan
03-14-2006, 08:47 AM
We do this about once every week in the summer at work for our afternoon break. Leave out the fruit for convenience, and it works great with Root Beer, orange, strawberry , pineapple (fanta, etc) - We even tried it with Mountain Dew one time, and that tied for the best one with pineapple, with Big Red third.

You can even use the reduced calory eagle brand if you want to cut back the sugar some (OK, so we had one guy who was a borderline diabetic, so we did it for HIM! He's not here anymore, so we don't do the sissy low sugar thing now!).

VERY easy and fun for younger kids to "help" with.

pirate44
03-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
We do this about once every week in the summer at work for our afternoon break. Leave out the fruit for convenience, and it works great with Root Beer, orange, strawberry , pineapple (fanta, etc) - We even tried it with Mountain Dew one time, and that tied for the best one with pineapple, with Big Red third.

You can even use the reduced calory eagle brand if you want to cut back the sugar some (OK, so we had one guy who was a borderline diabetic, so we did it for HIM! He's not here anymore, so we don't do the sissy low sugar thing now!).

VERY easy and fun for younger kids to "help" with.
boy, those all sound good. :clap: