View Full Version : CFN Schedule Analysis - Big 12

3afan
03-13-2006, 04:04 PM
South Division only ::

Baylor
Realistic best case record with this schedule: 6-6
Barring total disaster worst case record: 3-9
Realistic record: 4-8
Guy Morriss has a tough test to starting things out facing Mountain West champion TCU, and is has another rough game against Washington State. To even have any dreams of going to a bowl, a 3-1 start is a must and the Bears have to go at least 2-1 against North teams Kansas State, Colorado and Kansas. They must take advantage of every break, like a two-game homestand in late October against Kansas and Texas A&M.

Oklahoma
Realistic best case record with this schedule: 12-0
Barring total disaster worst case record: 7-5
Realistic record: 10-2
Barring a major upset, it might be a two-game season for OU. The early road trip to Oregon is a beartrap playing a ticked off team looking for revenge after the Holiday Bowl loss. Autzen Stadium will be rocking. Of course, the Texas game is the one that'll have the most bearing on the national landscape of the season. A two-game road stretch at Missouri and Texas A&M might be tough, and playing four road games in the final five finishing up with the rivalry game against Oklahoma State, would be more than just about any other team could handle.

Oklahoma State
Realistic best case record with this schedule: 8-4
Barring total disaster worst case record: 5-7
Realistic record: 6-6
Few teams have had lighter non-conference schedules in recent year than Oklahoma State, and this season isn't any different starting with Missouri State, Arkansas State and Florida Atlantic before the one decent game against Houston. There's a welcome off-week before the Big 12 run starting off on the road against both Kansas State and Kansas. Playing at Texas, at Texas Tech and Oklahoma in three of the final four weeks means the Cowboys have better have bowl eligibility wrapped up after the Baylor game.

Texas
Realistic best case record with this schedule: 12-0
Barring total disaster worst case record: 8-4
Realistic record: 11-1
If Texas doesn't start the season number one, it'll be second. Beating Ohio State in the biggest game of the first half of the season would certainly make the Longhorns the team to beat for the national title with an almost certain 5-0 start before playing OU in the Red River Rivalry. It's not all a walk in the park with a stretch of three road games in four weeks against Nebraska, Texas Tech and Kansas State with a home game against Oklahoma State thrown in after facing the Red Raiders. There's a week off before playing Texas A&M.

Texas A&M
Realistic best case record with this schedule: 10-2
Barring total disaster worst case record: 6-6
Realistic record: 8-4
Head coach Dennis Franchione can't use the schedule as an excuse if the Aggies have another disappointing season. The non-conference schedule is a joke (The Citadel, UL Lafayette, Army, La Tech), and the Big 12 opener against Texas Tech is at home. In fact, until the season finale against Texas, all the tough games are in College Station including battles against Oklahoma and Nebraska. Even with the battle with the Longhorns, the road schedule is one of the easiest in the nation facing Kansas, Oklahoma and Baylor.

Texas Tech
Realistic best case record with this schedule: 10-2
Barring total disaster worst case record: 6-6
Realistic record: 9-3
Nothing could've been easier than Tech's non-conference schedule last year, and this season's slate does have two interesting road trips to UTEP and TCU. The Red Raiders get Texas at home, but they have to play the defending national champions after going on the road for a stretch of three road games in four weeks traveling to Texas A&M, Colorado and Iowa State. Three of the final four games are in Lubbock.

LINK (http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Big_12/2006_Pages/Big12_Team_Schedule.htm)

Phil C
03-13-2006, 04:14 PM
I have already gone into details about the UT schedules but a couple that they leave out is that we have to play Rice in Houston which is scary indeed. Remember Rice tied us 14 -14 in Houston in 1962 which cost us the MNC that year. Now they have a new dynamic coach and Major is there now too which increases the risk.
And don't forget that Sam Houston State almost won the Division 2 championship two years ago and beating them is not going to be that easy so we must be careful.

3afan
03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
.... dynamic coach .....

Oh Phil ..... :D

Emerson1
03-13-2006, 04:46 PM
If texas can find who they want at QB I see 12-0 and a trip the the NC. But I think UT will be in the same boat as tOSU last year, they will play 2 qb's against them and find out who will lead the team for the rest of the season, hopefully they can squeeze out a win with the defense and running game.

Adidas410s
03-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I have already gone into details about the UT schedules but a couple that they leave out is that we have to play Rice in Houston which is scary indeed. Remember Rice tied us 14 -14 in Houston in 1962 which cost us the MNC that year. Now they have a new dynamic coach and Major is there now too which increases the risk.
And don't forget that Sam Houston State almost won the Division 2 championship two years ago and beating them is not going to be that easy so we must be careful.

Not just anybody can make this stuff up...it takes the talents of http://www.sfist.com/attachments/sfist_eve/godfather.jpg

KTJ
03-13-2006, 06:57 PM

Seriously, you're starting to scare me.

Buccaneer
03-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Few teams have had lighter non-conference schedules in recent year than Oklahoma State, and this season isn't any different starting with Missouri State, Arkansas State and Florida Atlantic before the one decent game against Houston.

When did UofH become a "decent" opponent?

Eagle6Man
03-13-2006, 08:31 PM

Dear Phil,

I just wanted to mention to you and your fellow townsfolk that should your area have enough rain to cause any flooding, that they might come to your house to gather sandbags because that was the biggest sandbagging statement I have ever witnessed!!
:D :D

sahen
03-14-2006, 05:14 AM
best case scenario for baylor 6-6? i dunno about that, i'd think the best case would be a bit better than that...however his worst case is high too...3-9, have they not watched what we can do given the worst case scenario??? we can put out 1-11s in a hurry...oh an if they go 4-8 Morriss will prolly be fired so he better do better than that "realistic" record...

3afan
03-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Few teams have had lighter non-conference schedules in recent year than Oklahoma State, and this season isn't any different starting with Missouri State, Arkansas State and Florida Atlantic before the one decent game against Houston.

When did UofH become a "decent" opponent?

they were a 6-6 bowl team, i think that qualifies as "decent" IMO