PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Birdie on TCM on Sunday!

Phil C
03-13-2006, 01:58 PM
It will be on March 19 at 9 A.M. so set your recorders if you can't watch it live. This is a great musical comedy based on the 1958 drafting of teen idol Elvis Presley.

It stars Janet Leigh and Dick Van Dyke as Birdie's agents, Ann Margret as the lucking teenager, Jesse Pierson who is very good as Birdie, Paul Lynde as Ann Margret's father who is excellent in his role, and Bobby Rydell as the boyfriend.

I don't much like musical comedies but this one is great.

The real Elvis Presley was offered the title role but he wisely refused. He was still at the peak of his popularity and I don't think this would have helped him. If the movie had been made five years later maybe it would have been right for him. Elvis had wise agents because when they found out he was drafted they had him record several songs that they were able to release over a two year perioud to keep him before the public while he was in the army overseas and when he served his two year tour of duty he came back still popular and became even more popular than before he was drafted.

Adidas410s
03-13-2006, 02:00 PM
my younger brother played Conrad Birdie in the school play this past fall...I will have to see if I can upload a picture of him in costume. It's quite funny!

Phil C
03-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
my younger brother played Conrad Birdie in the school play this past fall...I will have to see if I can upload a picture of him in costume. It's quite funny!

Looking forward to it Adidas! I wish we could have seen the play.

Emerson1
03-13-2006, 02:16 PM
My school's play for this year was also by bye birdie. It was a decent play but the movie is stupid

Phil C
03-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
My school's play for this year was also by bye birdie. It was a decent play but the movie is stupid

I can almost understand your reasoning but when the movie was made in 1963 it was closer to the event in time. Plus remember - it is a musical comedy and wasn't met to be taken seriously. In order to enjoy some movies you need to know the mood of the country at the time it was made.