PDA

View Full Version : All Big Country Super Team

wildstangs
01-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Congrats to the Abilene Area 3A schools for their dominating presence on the team.

Best of the best
Season for the ages, prep standouts earn Super Team football honors

By Danny Reagan / Reporter-News Staff Writer
January 25, 2004

Super is an adjective in use frequently this time of the year.

In the Big Country, the term is used to describe an all-star group of athletes already recognized as best in their classifications by the sports department of the Abilene Reporter-News.

As with most all-star teams, the Super Team picks are not always universally accepted because the selection process is not scientific. The designation of a few individuals out of that group for special recognition is equally challenging.

The statistical numbers don’t always point to a clear choice. Intangibles such as community influence, challenges faced and surmounted, leadership and dedication are taken into consideration.

Coach of the Year
A case could have been made for so many coaches in the area this year.

Jim Ned High School’s Brad McCoy, one of the most personable coaches in the Big Country, brought an 8-2 team in 2002 to even greater heights in 2003 — one win shy of a state crown.

Bo Robinson of Bangs High School, one of the more colorful coaches in the state, overcame a rocky start this past season and also took his team to a state championship game before losing.

Robert Wood of Coahoma High School led a 2-8 team in 2002 to the third round of the playoffs in 2003. Randy Quisenberry coached the Cooper Cougars to their second-straight District 3-5A championship, while Wylie High School’s Hugh Sandifer, one of the most successful coaches year in and year out in the state, led a group of Bulldogs farther this past season than most people expected.

And the list goes on and on.
However, the historical aspect of David Flowers’ success at Merkel High School earns him this year’s Super Team award.

Not since 1963 has a Badger team made the playoffs.

Flowers, in only his fourth year at Merkel, has become a hero of sorts, and not just to the residents of Merkel who repeatedly let the coach know how proud they are of him.

The coach received e-mails from all over the United States congratulating him on the team’s success. Many of them were from players who played on the 1963 squad.

"It gave them something to be excited about all over again," Flowers said. "They said they felt like they did 40 years ago."

Flowers said his Badgers had the most fans in the stands for their three post-season games. Many Merkel residents had never seen a Badgers team in the playoffs in their lifetimes.

Two moments from the season stick out in Flowers’ mind.

"When we beat Lamesa and knew we were going to the playoffs, the looks on the kids’ faces, the excitement that was generated ? it was just awesome," Flowers said.

The other moment came in that first playoff game against the previous year’s state finalist Midland Greenwood — a team no one had given the Badgers a chance against. His recollection of quarterback Chris Cobb’s post-game comment rings in his ears today.

"He said, ‘We’re not done. I want some more of this,’" Flowers said. "That pretty much summed up the attitude of the whole team."

Players of the Year
To a player, each of this year’s honorees exhibited exceptional skill on the field, leading his team to success that sometimes surpassed expectations, sometimes was unexpected, but always was deemed "super" by the fans who filled the stands on Friday night.

They all exhibited leadership qualities on the field and were articulate and modest in explaining any success they had.

Overall Player of the Year
Kirby Freeman is already enrolled at the University of Miami.

The quarterback for the Brownwood High School Lions in 2003, who received his high school diploma in December, could one day be leading the Hurricanes back to a national title.

Freeman, 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, was leading the Lions to success after success before an injury sidelined him near the end of the season and hampered him in the playoffs. The Lions, 11-1, lost in the second round of the playoffs to Denton Ryan.

Earlier this week, Freeman was named Class 4A-5A Defensive Player of the Year for his efforts as a punter. When he wasn’t pinning opponents deep in their end of the field with his booming punts (43.7 yard average), he was running for a first down from deep-snap formation.

Of course, his offensive stats (almost 2,500 yards passing and rushing) caught the eye of the Miami coaches.

"It does feel like I’m living a dream," Freeman said in an interview earlier this week from his dorm room on the UM campus.

Defensive Player of the Year
"We had a hunger to win," Sweetwater High School’s Michael Straley said of a Mustangs team that went three deep into the playoffs.

The 5-foot-9, 165-pound linebacker led his team — and the Big Country — with 124 unassisted tackles. He also had seven sacks and caused four fumbles.

"I’d say most teams that practice every day, they dread it," Straley said, explaining the team’s success. "But we looked forward to it, because we knew at the end of the week on Friday, we were going to go out and win."

On a personal level, Straley credits his father with any excellence he’s achieved on the field.

"He’s helped me out on pretty much everything I’ve ever done — sports or school or anything else," Straley said.

Co-Offensive Player of the Year
Jacoby Jones was the cream of a bumper crop of running backs in 2003. He chewed up more yards on area gridirons this past season than anyone else.

The 5-foot-11, 210-pound senior from Bangs High School, who has already decided to sign with Baylor University in less than two weeks, rushed for 3,456 yards and 45 touchdowns his past season. He finished his prep career with 42 100-yard rushing games, near the top of the list in Texas schoolboy history.

"I saw a lot of fan support," Jones said, modestly explaining the Dragons’ success in 2003. "You know, at the first of the season we didn’t do too good, but our fans really got behind us and started pushing us when we needed it."

Why Baylor when his numbers could get him in the door just about anywhere?

"When I went to camp this summer I just liked the atmosphere," Jones said. "All the players and coaches ... I liked how they treated me. And academically, I really like the school, because with a degree from there, you can go anywhere."

Co-Offensive Player of the Year
Only a junior, Colt McCoy of Jim Ned High School is already on college coaches’ radar screens, especially in Texas.

Last season, Texas A&M University head football coach Dennis Franchione would make sure he or one of his assistants checked out the Reporter-News Web site each Saturday to see what damage McCoy’s magical arm had done the night before to opposing defenses.

McCoy threw for just shy of 4,000 yards and for 50 touchdowns in 2003. He also rushed for 500 yards and nine touchdowns, making him the most prolific quarterback in any classification in the Big Country.

"I think everyone took pride in what happened to us," McCoy said. "The success in the playoffs, the 100 percent effort it took."

McCoy’s grandfather and his father, Jim Ned head coach Brad McCoy, have had the most influence on him.

"They pushed me hard when I didn’t want to go, and they helped me achieve things I didn’t think I could possibly achieve by myself," the quarterback said. "I give all the credit to them and my teammates for pushing me harder. It took everybody to get to where we went to this season. I appreciate that a lot."

Newcomer of the Year
What does a sophomore quarterback do when leading a team during a rebuilding year?

Overachieve, of course.

Case Keenum of Wylie High School threw for 2,032 yards, rushed for 420 more and was in on 24 touchdowns in leading the Bulldogs to four playoff games, just short of a state finals berth.

"Probably the speed of play," Keenum responded when asked about his biggest challenge. "Having to step up to the older guys and the speed of play I hadn’t been used to. The guys on the team helped me out a lot."

Keenum also pointed to his father, McMurry University head football coach Steve Keenum, as pivotal in helping him hone his football skills.

ADVICE to YOUNGSTERS
Jacoby Jones – "Keep working hard in the weight room. Everything starts in the weight room. Practice and practice and listen to what the coaches say because they know what they’re talking about."

Colt McCoy - "Grow up and be who you want to be. Set your goals and set your dreams and work hard to achieve them. Whatever you set your mind to, you can do it."

Case Keenum – "I’d tell them to keep trying ... to do the best all the time. That’s all anyone can ask for. That’s all I try to do."

Michael Straley - "I would tell them never to give up. No matter how bad it looks, you can always pull out of it. It’s just how bad you want it."

SELECTION PROCESS
ALL local and area athletes previously named to All-Big Country 11-man teams this week were considered for inclusion in the Super Team. Individual award winners were considered for Super Team individual awards.

The sports department then selected Super Team players based upon regular season and playoff statistics, leadership qualities and other intangible athletic attributes recognized during the season by the Reporter-News and/or the athletes’ coaches that contributed to both individual and team success.

All-Big Country SUPER Team

Coach of the Year — David Flowers, Merkel
Overall MVP — Kirby Freeman, Brownwood
Newcomer of the Year — Case Keenum, Wylie

OFFENSE
Player of the Year — (Tie) Colt McCoy, Jim Ned; Jacoby Jones, Bangs

LINEMEN
TAYLOR GRAVES, Brownwood, Sr. 6-1, 280. 1st team District 8-4A. 85 pancake blocks (10 games), hasn’t given up a sack.

TYLER CRUMP, Abilene Wylie, Jr., 6-2, 320. Two-time all-district, graded 82.7 percent, 87 pancakes, 28 knockdowns

ERIC WILSON, Abilene Wylie, Sr., 6-3, 250. Three-year starter and a two-time all-district selection who graded out at 88.2 percent this season. Had 69 pancake blocks and 45 knockdowns.

SEAN HOAG, Jim Ned, Sr., 6-0, 240. Graded out at 90 percent, 27 knockdowns, 7 pancakes. "Major force on offense that amassed 7,184 yards."

JEREMY SIMS, Baird, 6-5, 290. Graded 85 percent in 11 games, 27 pancake blocks and only 12 missed assignments.

RUNNING BACKS
JACOBY JONES, Bangs, Sr., 5-11, 210. 348-3,340-43 rushing. Third all-time in Texas schoolboy history with 40 100-yard rushing games.

JACOBIE RUSSELL, Colorado City, Sr., 5-11, 195. 238-2,454-30 TDs rushing in 11 games. Four-times named to the all-district team. Offensive MVP of District 3-2A

JOSH SEPEDA, Roby, Sr., 6-0, 175.221-2,180-32 rushing; 22-254-4 receiving. District 15-A MVP.

TERRY SMITH, Jim Ned, Sr., 6-0, 170. 215-1,908-28 rushing. 20-187-2 receiving. 12 kick returns for 198 yards.

KOBEY LEWIS, Abilene High, Jr., 5-9, 160. 1st team District 3-5A. 237-1,781-26 rushing. 11-189-4 receiving.

ANTOIN LIVINGSTON, Abilene Cooper, Sr., 5-10, 170. District 3-5A Offensive MVP. 172-1,026- 20 rushing TDs and 41-755-3 receiving.

ENDS/RECEIVERS
KELBY KEMPER, Coahoma, Sr., 6-3, 220. 93-1,928-26 receiving.

TURTLE CONNER, Abilene High, Sr., 5-10, 165. 1st team District 3-5A. 63-859-10 receiving.

JORDAN MORALES, Albany, Sr., 5-11, 160. Named District 12-A Offensive Player of the year. 55-1,138-15 receiving. 27-175-3 rushing, 2-3-25-1 passing. Third team all-state in 2002.

QUARTERBACK
COLT McCOY, Jim Ned, Jr., 6-2, 180. 238-371 passing for 3,939 yards, 50 TDs, 11 INTs. 86-521-9 rushing. 4,460 all purpose yards and 59 total TDs.

KIRBY FREEMAN, Brownwood, Sr., 6-3, 200. Only played in 8 games because of injuries. 71-123 passing for 1,454 yards, 10 TDs, 4 INTs. 956 yards and 14 TDs rushing. Committed to the University of Miami.

CASE KEENUM, Abilene Wylie, So., 6-0, 175. District Newcomer of the Year. 145-257-2,032-12 for 56.4 completion percentage. 96-420-12 rushing.

CALE SMITH, Roscoe, Jr., 6-2, 210. 192-1,605-21 rushing, 50-141 passing for 1,102 , 9 TDs, 15 kick returns for 22.8 yard average, 2 TDs

PLACE KICKER
BRYCE HAGELSTEIN, Abilene Cooper, Sr., 5-9, 150. 37-for-37 on PATs and 11-for-12 on field goals. First team all-district selection.

DEFENSE
Player of the Year — Michael Straley, Sweetwater

LINEMEN
JOHN STARNES, Jim Ned, Jr. 6-3, 220. 129 total tackles (31 unassisted), 10 sacks, 2 caused fumbles.

GILES MONTGOMERY, Sweetwater, Sr., 6-4, 238. In nine games, 72 unassisted tackles, 9 sacks, 7 tackles for loss, 5 passes broken up. First team all-district selection.

BRANDON HEAD, Merkel, Sr., 6-3, 250. 105 tackles, 50 unassisted, 19 tackles for loss or no gain, 12 sacks, 18 hurries, 2 caused fumbles, 5 fumble recoveries, 1 batted pass, all-district.

JUSTIN HEAD, Merkel, Sr., 6-3, 240. 111 tackles, 53 unassisted, 18 tackles for loss or no gain, 13 sacks, 15 hurries, 2 caused fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 batted passes, all-district.

LANDON BRUSH, Bangs, Jr., 6-0, 195. 116 tackles (27 for a loss), 13 sacks, 1 INT

TREY DAVIS, Albany, So., 6-3, 203. 96 tackles (26 unassisted), 10.5 sacks, 17 forced fumbles, 4 knocked down passes, 2 fumble recoveries

LINEBACKERS
MICHAEL STRALEY, Sweetwater, Sr., 5-9, 165. Led team with 124 unassisted tackles. 7 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 5 caused fumbles, 1 INT. Two-time all-district selection. Defense held opponents to 178 yards and 12 points per game.

JERROD CARROLL, Abilene High, Jr., 5-10, 165. 55 unassisted tackles, 41 assists, 20 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, 4 INTS, 1 fumble recovery. District 3-5A Defensive MVP.

CODY PAYNE, Stephenville, Sr., 6-1, 220. 147 tackles, 1 INT, 2 sacks, 3 fumble recoveries.

JARED PHILLIPS, Big Spring, Sr., 6-1, 210. 118 tackles, 36 for loss, 2 sacks, 1 INT for 40-yard return.

ISAAC RAMON, Snyder, Sr., 5-7, 165. 97 Tackles, 35 Assists, 14 for loss, 3 sacks, 4 fumble recoveries, 7 forced fumbles, 1 INT. District 3-3A defensive player of the year 2003.

CADE RATTO, Bangs, Sr., 5-10, 190. 143 tackles, 15 for loss, 4 fumble recoveries, 6 sacks

MIKE WILSON, Albany, Jr., 6-2, 205. 155 tackles (40 unassisted), 11 for loss, 7 sacks, 8 forced fumbles, 1 INT, 3 fumble recoveries.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
JOHN BARRERA, Hamlin, Sr., 6-1, 185. 153 tackles, 8 sacks, 6 fumble recoveries, 5 forced fumbles, 3 INTs, 1 TD return.

RYAN KENNEDY, Abilene High, Jr., 5-9, 160. 1st team District 3-5A. 72 unassisted tackles, 48 assists, 7 tackles for loss, 2 INTs, 8 pass breakups, 1 fumble recovery.

RILEY LAMBERT, Merkel, Jr., 5-11, 175. 65 tackles, 31 unassisted, 8 broken up passes, 7 INTs, including one for a 40-yard TD return.

KELBY KEMPER, Coahoma, Sr., 6-3, 220. 104 tackles, 8 INTs, 3 blocked kicks, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 caused fumbles, 1 tackle for safety

TERRY SMITH, Jim Ned, Sr., 6-0, 175. 119 total tackles (42 unassisted). 2 INTs.

CARLOS RUIZ, Knox City, Jr., 5-6, 155. 117 tackles, 32 unassisted 85 assists, 7 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 7 pass breakups, 7 special teams tackles, 1 fumble recovery.

PUNTER
KIRBY FREEMAN, Brownwood, Sr. 6-3, 200. A dangerous runner in fake punt situations, still had a 43.7 yards per punt average, pinning opposing offenses deep in their own ends of the field many times.

Contact executive sports editor Danny Reagan at reagand@reporternews.com or 325-670-5213

Search current site:

Search archives for:

» 2003 To Your Health
» How-To Consumer Guide
» 2003 Oil & Gas
» Kickoff USA 2003
» West Texas Fair & Rodeo
» Health Care Directory
» Readers Choice
» Senior Resource Guide
» Inside Abilene
» Western Heritage Classic
» ALPS Gazette
» Home & Garden 2003
» Bridal 2003
» Farm & Ranch 2003
» New Car Guide 2003
» Progress Edition 2003
» Holiday Gift Guide 2003

sales
farm & Ranch Healthcare
Driving School
Action Career Training

Direct Care Staff
Soma Resources

Claims Customer Service
Blue Cross Blue Shield

Click Here for more

© 1995-2004 The E.W. Scripps Co. and the Abilene Reporter-News.
All Rights Reserved.