PDA

View Full Version : Buying Refurb Electronics

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I am thinking about buying a new TV. I decided to start looking online at the refurb TV's because they are A LOT cheaper. Has anybody else ever bought one and do you think it's a "safe buy?"

SintonFan
03-12-2006, 07:48 PM
If it comes with the original factory warranty then maybe. But if you are looking to buy a big item then it might be somewhat risky. LCD's and plasma TV's still don't the total life of a CRT.
I too have thought about this and am still waiting for the prices to come down to Earth on the new ones. At least on the 63" DLP I want.

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I guess to better fill in the story...I am looking for a 25-30" TV for my new apartment. I have an older Philips that I am going to pass down to RMAC when he heads to Tech in the fall. I don't want to spend more than $500 or so...less is even better!

At first I found this one...

26" Philips LCD TV (http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=4398)

Then I went to the Philips Outlet website and I found these...

Philips Widescreen TV's (http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/catalog/categorieInPath.do?page=first&key=0/4190799E9A6F008D00000000828BD472/41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET)

The Refurb site does include the 90-day manufacturer's warranty. I can't find anything on the Philips site but I am assuming that it's similar to that.

RMAC
03-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Gump, I actually just bought a refurbished amp today for my system. All it means, well, in terms of car audio, is that it's a new system inside an old case. It's been factory restored and tested. Take that for what it's worth.

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Gump, I actually just bought a refurbished amp today for my system. All it means, well, in terms of car audio, is that it's a new system inside an old case. It's been factory restored and tested. Take that for what it's worth.

When did you start calling me Gump, Fatty??? Of course, I just talked to super fat guy and he said "well just wait a few weeks until you get into your new apartment." Either way, you have a dorm fridge and a TV coming your way in the near future. You wanna come down to Abilene this Friday to help me get moved?

RMAC
03-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Duh's comin on Friday I think. And I think he's gonna head your way on Saturday. I also gotta go watch Dan throw at the Relays. But I might be able to hop down there for a few hours on Friday. Remember, we had our break 2 weeks ago, so I won't get done w/ school until 1 or so. I'll see how things progress.

ILS1
03-12-2006, 08:44 PM
If your gonna get a LCD or Plasma refurb. I highly recommend you buy one with a built-in HD tuner and a HDMI port. Both of these are a little extra. But with the built in HD tuner you can get the local channels that broadcast in HD without the HD box. Which is extra with most cable or satellite companies. But if you get the HD box,a HDMI connection and HDMI cables are supposed to give you the truest HD picture. Alot of the newer DVD players are coming out with a HDMI port that you can connect to your TV for an amazing picture.

:D

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Duh's comin on Friday I think. And I think he's gonna head your way on Saturday. I also gotta go watch Dan throw at the Relays. But I might be able to hop down there for a few hours on Friday. Remember, we had our break 2 weeks ago, so I won't get done w/ school until 1 or so. I'll see how things progress.

I am heading out of Abilene Saturday morning and up to Graham to pick up that couch that mom and dad are giving me. Just to let ya know...

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
If your gonna get a LCD or Plasma refurb. I highly recommend you buy one with a built-in HD tuner and a HDMI port. Both of these are a little extra. But with the built in HD tuner you can get the local channels that broadcast in HD without the HD box. Which is extra with most cable or satellite companies. But if you get the HD box,a HDMI connection and HDMI cables are supposed to give you the truest HD picture. Alot of the newer DVD players are coming out with a HDMI port that you can connect to your TV for an amazing picture.

:D

The first one that I provided a link to shows to have an HDMI port (I think it's just 1 port) for both audio and video. I don't see if mentioning anything about an HD Tuner but I may not be reading everything correctly. You wanna read through it and tell me what you think about it? I get lost when it comes to the HD world because I have yet to use it.

SintonFan
03-12-2006, 09:55 PM
The rule of thumb on HD TVs is if it says "monitor" anywhere it does not have a HD tuner.
This one (http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=41907ABB9A6F008D00000 000828BD4724233A894D9DD02B100000000828BD443&productarea=41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET) and this one (http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=41907ABB9A6F008D00000 000828BD47242B93049051F0A7500000000828BD443&productarea=41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET) should have built-in HD tuners.
Keep in mind that if you buy a 30" WS it looks like a 24" TV or less to us. Smaller than that is pretty darn minuscule.
Thanks for the links A410, those prices are really SWEET!

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
The rule of thumb on HD TVs is if it says "monitor" anywhere it does not have a HD tuner.
This one (http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=41907ABB9A6F008D00000 000828BD4724233A894D9DD02B100000000828BD443&productarea=41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET) and this one (http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=41907ABB9A6F008D00000 000828BD47242B93049051F0A7500000000828BD443&productarea=41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET) should have built-in HD tuners.
Keep in mind that if you buy a 30" WS it looks like a 24" TV or less to us. Smaller than that is pretty darn minuscule.
Thanks for the links A410, those prices are really SWEET!

Yeah I really thinking about getting that 26" LCD. Plus that site has some REALLY good prices. BTW your two links didn't work.

Also, could you explain "the process" of using HD service? What does the tuner do and is that something that any of the cable companies provide with service? Finding TV service is the next thing I have to do when I get to Dallas. I'm going to hold off on getting an internet provider initially in hopes that somebody in my apt complex has a wireless router with a good signal that I can use! :p

ILS1
03-12-2006, 10:12 PM
SintonFan is right. If it says HD monitor or HD ready it can ONLY become HD with a HD box. But a TV with a built in HD tuner doesn't really need the box unless you get cable or satellite's HD tier premium package. I had it for awhile with Time Warner. $9.99 a month extra for basically 5 channels I never watched except for ESPNHD. I cancelled it after about 6 months. But I still get all my local channels in HD,plus the DiscoveryHD,5 PBS channels and TNT in HD with my standard cable package.

SintonFan
03-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Yeah I really thinking about getting that 26" LCD. Plus that site has some REALLY good prices. BTW your two links didn't work.

Also, could you explain "the process" of using HD service? What does the tuner do and is that something that any of the cable companies provide with service? Finding TV service is the next thing I have to do when I get to Dallas. I'm going to hold off on getting an internet provider initially in hopes that somebody in my apt complex has a wireless router with a good signal that I can use! :p
I should have checked those links. But from the phillups link you provided with the multple tvs this "30 in Widescreen HDTV-Online Price: $522.00" and this "30 in Widescreen HDTV-Online Price: $516.99" should have built-in HD tuners.
Once you have a TV that has a HD tuner you can actually buy an open air antenna from Radio Shack or elsewhere to connect to the TV and get HD free. Most(not sure about this) cable companies will charge you for their HD service.
HD is what DVD was to VHS in terms of picture quality. I've seen 40" and larger HD TV's so clear it looks like you are almost staring out the window. Go with the 30" at least. :cool:
:cool:

TMer25
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
If it comes with the original factory warranty then maybe. But if you are looking to buy a big item then it might be somewhat risky. LCD's and plasma TV's still don't the total life of a CRT.
I too have thought about this and am still waiting for the prices to come down to Earth on the new ones. At least on the 63" DLP I want.

I design, install, and calibrate custom home theaters. If your holding out on Plasma due to life span, most of the current ones on the market last around 30,000 hours when calibrated properly. You figure if it's watched 8 hours a day, thats roughly 3,000 hours a year, so it would be around 9-10 years before any picture degradation started to occur. With, a plasma usually the only thing you'll lose is a little brightness.

SintonFan
03-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
I design, install, and calibrate custom home theaters. If your holding out on Plasma due to life span, most of the current ones on the market last around 30,000 hours when calibrated properly. You figure if it's watched 8 hours a day, thats roughly 3,000 hours a year, so it would be around 9-10 years before any picture degradation started to occur. With, a plasma usually the only thing you'll lose is a little brightness.
Isn't that around 5 times better than what plasmas used to last a few years ago? Also the brightness is a problem for me. It does lose some brightness and I have been concerned about it with some movies so dark. I'm just saying that a CRT tends to have a better picture life than a LCD or a plasma. I wasn't aware that HD plasmas had an average 30,000 calibrated life. It just shows me being patient is working. Thanks for the info TMer25.:)

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 10:36 PM

so what does the life look like on an LCD?

TMer25
03-12-2006, 11:13 PM
so what does the life look like on an
LCD?

LCD is about the same, but still doesn't quite do black as well as most plasma tv's. You also still tend to see some image ghosting on LCD's while watching sports. The refresh rate with the bigger LCD screens just isn't quite where it needs to be, though most of the ones shown this year at CES were much better in that regard.

TMer25
03-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Isn't that around 5 times better than what plasmas used to last a few years ago? Also the brightness is a problem for me. It does lose some brightness and I have been concerned about it with some movies so dark. I'm just saying that a CRT tends to have a better picture life than a LCD or a plasma. I wasn't aware that HD plasmas had an average 30,000 calibrated life. It just shows me being patient is working. Thanks for the info TMer25.:) \

It is tremendously better than it was, that number will probably be up closer to 40 or 50,000 hours by the end of this year. CRT's have the best picture quality and life bar none. DLP and LCD rear projection sets seem to be the best marriage of picture quality, size, and cost, for the time being. I would recommend being patient a bit longer, with more sets coming out that accept a 1080p signal, as most of the current ones, just use a line doubler to upconvert to 1080p, there are a few exceptions though. Plus, with HD DVD players coming out at the end of this month, and Blu Ray players coming out May 23rd, a set that can accept 1080p is definitely worth the wait.

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 11:25 PM
\

It is tremendously better than it was, that number will probably be up closer to 40 or 50,000 hours by the end of this year. CRT's have the best picture quality and life bar none. DLP and LCD rear projection sets seem to be the best marriage of picture quality, size, and cost, for the time being. I would recommend being patient a bit longer, with more sets coming out that accept a 1080p signal, as most of the current ones, just use a line doubler to upconvert to 1080p, there are a few exceptions though. Plus, with HD DVD players coming out at the end of this month, and Blu Ray players coming out May 23rd, a set that can accept 1080p is definitely worth the wait.

So what you recommend as an "affordable" ($500 range) TV to buy? I am I better off buying a lower end HDTV (see the two Philips links that I posted earlier) or just buying a flat screen HDTV? Thanks again for all the info.

TMer25
03-12-2006, 11:41 PM
So what you recommend as an "affordable" ($500 range) TV to buy? I am I better off buying a lower end HDTV (see the two Philips links that I posted earlier) or just buying a flat screen HDTV? Thanks again for all the info.

I would say go with one of the 30 inch Phillips you link too. The $516.99 set or the $522, either seems to be a good buy, has a built in HD tuner, and an HDMI input, so it should be future proof for some of the upcoming technologies, such as Blu Ray or HD DVD.

Adidas410s
03-12-2006, 11:45 PM
So is a Blu Ray disc pretty much an HD-quality DVD that can be used for movies and games?

SintonFan
03-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Blue ray is superior but DVD HD will be cheaper! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/traurig/sad-smiley-001.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/traurig/sad-smiley-001.gif

TMer25
03-12-2006, 11:51 PM
So is a Blu Ray disc pretty much an HD-quality DVD that can be used for movies and games?

Exactly. At the minimum, a Blu Ray disc will have twice the capacity of a DVD, giving it the storage capability to store a full movie at hi def resolutions. HD DVD, is the same, though right now, plans are only to use it as a movie format. There is a huge format battle between the two sides, Sony supports Blu Ray, Microsoft and Toshiba support HD DVD. Some movie studios are going to support both formats, and others are only going to support one of them. Blu Ray right now seems to have a bit more support from the movie studios, but HD DVD has an advantage with the pricing of their players. The inital batch of HD DVD players will start at around $500, and the initial Blu Ray players are looking like they will start at around $1000. Basically it's VHS vs. Beta all over again.

TMer25
03-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Blue ray is superior but DVD HD will be cheaper! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/traurig/sad-smiley-001.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/traurig/sad-smiley-001.gif

Lol, thats one way to look at it. They are both capable of the exact same quality, Blu Ray will come out of the gate supporting 1080p, and HD DVD won't, but it is more than capable of doing it. Toshiba has already stated there will be a firmware upgrade in the coming months to enable their players to support 1080p.

SintonFan
03-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Basically it's VHS vs. Beta all over again.
We'd pay $40 a vhs tape in the early 90's if Sony won back then imo...;)
Good point though TMer25.
Many DVD players can "up-convert" a near HD signal now for a much better picture quality to your HD TV. Until the fight is over I think I'll get me one of those new DVD players.

SintonFan
03-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Lol, thats one way to look at it. They are both capable of the exact same quality, Blu Ray will come out of the gate supporting 1080p, and HD DVD won't, but it is more than capable of doing it. Toshiba has already stated there will be a firmware upgrade in the coming months to enable their players to support 1080p.
That's refreshing. Cool.
Sony has always been a loner in the electronic world, just ask Nintendo.:D

TMer25
03-13-2006, 12:02 AM
We'd pay $40 a vhs tape in the early 90's if Sony won back then imo...;)
Good point though TMer25.
Many DVD players can "up-convert" a near HD signal now for a much better picture quality to your HD TV. Until the fight is over I think I'll get me one of those new DVD players.

Waiting till it plays itself out is definitely the smart move. The Sony upconverting players are excellent (I own 2), some of the others, such as Samsung and Toshiba seem to have macroblocking errors pretty frequently.