PDA

View Full Version : OU's Bomar cited for alcohol possession

kepdawg
03-11-2006, 08:14 PM
OU's Bomar cited for alcohol possession at Hornets' game

07:03 PM CST on Saturday, March 11, 2006

Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY – University of Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar was cited Friday for being a minor in possession of alcohol after an undercover police officer spotted him drinking at the New Orleans Hornets basketball game at the Ford Center, police said Saturday.

Bomar, 20, was sitting with several friends when an officer saw him pouring beer into a cup, said Oklahoma City Police Sgt. J.F. Balderrama.

"Apparently they were all sitting in the same section, and Mr. Bomar was taking the beer, putting it in a white cup and taking sips of it during the game," Balderrama said.

After the game, Bomar was approached by officers and acknowledged having several drinks, Balderrama said.

Bomar was taken into custody and transported to the police station, where he posted a bond and was released, Balderrama said.

Bomar pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charge, and a municipal court arraignment date was set for 8 a.m. on May 15, according to a clerk at the Oklahoma City Municipal Court.

Bomar was cited for the same offense in September in Norman after police responding to a party said they found him holding a mixed drink. That complaint later was dismissed for a lack of evidence.

As a redshirt freshman last season, the Grand Prairie product set an Oklahoma freshman record with 2,018 passing yards.

Spring practice at OU begins March 20.

Eagle6Man
03-11-2006, 08:21 PM
That's ok, minor in pocession, steroids pocession, why not?

hutex04
03-11-2006, 08:24 PM
texas dodged a bullet with this loser. But hes 20 i dont think its a big deal him drinkin. But you think he would be smarter with his decisions

Eagle6Man
03-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
texas dodged a bullet with this loser. But hes 20 i dont think its a big deal him drinkin. But you think he would be smarter with his decisions

I'm sure the Chief will explain it all to us and have a very valid reason for this.:rolleyes:

Chief Ohera
03-11-2006, 08:33 PM
yes i sure will explain everyone why this happened,
well first of all, bomar is a college student who is the starting qb for one of the most storied programs in america, even larger than ut.
so why not celebrate and have a good time while in college, i mean he has his four years and then it's up, i like bomar and i beleive that he will lead them past ut this season, b/c ut will go through exactly what ou did last season.
bomar is a good player and a better student and he was just out having some fun, wouldn't you?

i really don't like cops, they have giving me too many traffic and "public intoxication" tickets
i think all cops are crooked and all they want is your money,
good job bomar, clean yourself up and thank heavens you didn't go to "HIPPIE" capital of the world
until next time
the chief

piratebg
03-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
well first of all, bomar is a college student who is the starting qb for one of the most storied programs in america, even larger than ut.
so why not celebrate and have a good time while in college, i mean he has his four years and then it's up, i like bomar and i beleive that he will lead them past ut this season, b/c ut will go through exactly what ou did last season.
bomar is a good player and a better student and he was just out having some fun, wouldn't you?

i really don't like cops, they have giving me too many traffic and "public intoxication" tickets
good job bomar, clean yourself up and thank heavens you didn't go to "HIPPIE" capital of the world
until next time
the chief

Not all cops are crooked Chief. If you have been written too many traffic tickets maybe you should learn how to drive. As for the PIs are concerned, there are classes available that do help people beat alcoholism. Maybe you and Bomar can sign up together. Great Job Oklahoma City PD in showing that no one is above the law!!!
Until next time
The Law

Remember, only you can prevent forrest fires.

Adidas410s
03-11-2006, 08:43 PM

You stay classy Chief...:thumbsup:

sinton66
03-11-2006, 08:43 PM

A glimpse into Chief's reality, maybe????

Emerson1
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
i like bomar and i beleive that he will lead them past ut this season, b/c ut will go through exactly what ou did last season.
Your football knowledge is not nearly as good as what your say your track knowledge is. UT is returning I think 16/22 starters, including 3/5 from the best o-line in the country and all their receivers/rb's. UT will probably lose to tOSU, but like for the buckeyes last year, they will find out who their qb is any be on a way to a BCS bowl bid.

etbu
03-11-2006, 10:16 PM
still having flashbacks to the UT defense. had to down a couple. lol :D to try to cope with what the horns will do to him next year. :clap:

BreckTxLonghorn
03-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Two things

1) Big whoop. The guy's in college. Tons of people go drinking when they enter college, it's just something that happens. Even though he was caught, it wasn't like the guy was stripping or harassing people. He was just having a beer. I really can't believe he got arrested. I got 2 MIPs before I turned 21, and all I got was a ticket. That's the price of fame I guess.

2) Bomar is an idiot. He's THE quarterback for a top tier football program. In a state that doesn't have much but that football program. Everybody who lives there knows what he looks like, and when he travels in a group of athletes, they probably stick out like a sore thumb. Why would you take the risk of having a drink at a professional basketball game?

I still say it's not a huge deal, but Bomar needs to learn to make good decisions. It's more of a showing of his judgement than anything. Have a drink with friends, but not at a televised sporting event. OU pays you to play well and be safe, not to act like a demigod among men.

etbu
03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
the kid is a CLOG who does something like this beside a sooner. brings back memories of all the losers that played for Switzer. Remember those days sooner fans? Boys kept the legal dept. busy during the day. Handguns cocaine a little weed. NOT GOOD. :devil:

Eagle6Man
03-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Well, I don't mean to preach here, but I am assuming you have to be 21 to drink alcohol in Oklahoma.

I'll just say selling or serving alcohol to a minor is like taking a sack of rattlesnakes into the mall and turning them lose. You are asking for trouble and can be considered criminally negligent.

Phantom Stang
03-11-2006, 10:46 PM
While I'm NOT a fan of OU, I feel that I would be hypocritical if I attacked Bomar's character, because of this incident.

lepfan
03-11-2006, 10:59 PM
It is somewhat amusing to listen to how hypocritical some are when it comes to things like this. Hmmmmm, I think I remember some defending a young man kicking a door down because of a tv issue.:thinking: Loser? No I do not think Bomar is a loser...I would be willing to bet that MANY on your teams have done similar things...just haven't got caught. He did not rob a bank! Glass houses....glass houses.... :):rolleyes:

piratebg
03-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
While I'm NOT a fan of OU, I feel that I would be hypocritical if I attacked Bomar's character, because of this incident.

I'm not saying he is a bad person. I just think that being a collegiate athlete that he would have known better. Hopefully he and other players can learn from this whole ordeal. His arrest was justified and his reputation now has a bad spot, but he is not a bad person. He just made a bad decision.

lepfan
03-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
His arrest was justified Arrested???? I think he was only cited....Never mind...he was transported...sorry

Eagle...where did you get this steroid in possession business???

piratebg
03-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Taken into custody and released on a bond means he was arrested.

etbu
03-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
It is somewhat amusing to listen to how hypocritical some are when it comes to things like this. Hmmmmm, I think I remember some defending a young man kicking a door down because of a tv issue.:thinking: Loser? No I do not think Bomar is a loser...I would be willing to bet that MANY on your teams have done similar things...just haven't got caught. He did not rob a bank! Glass houses....glass houses.... :):rolleyes:

Think if he would get behind a wheel and kill a couple of kids you may have different opinion? He should be thrown off of the team. Like the days of Switzer. Whats next? Keep making excuses for him.

lepfan
03-11-2006, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE
Bomar was taken into custody and transported to the police station, where he posted a bond and was released, Balderrama said.

[i]Taken into custody and released on a bond means he was arrested. [/B] Did you read my post before this...I had only read the headline...:)

piratebg
03-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Taken into custody and released on a bond means he was arrested. Did you read my post before this...I had only read the headline...:) [/B][/QUOTE]

At that point I hadn't. I didn't notice until afterwards. Sorry.

lepfan
03-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by etbu
Think if he would get behind a wheel and kill a couple of kids you may have different opinion? He should be thrown off of the team. Like the days of Switzer. Whats next? Keep making excuses for him. :hand: :hand: :hand: Don't talk to me :hand: :hand: :hand: Go back into your glass house.

THERE WAS NO DRIVING INVOLVED HERE!!!! If you want what if's I have plenty for you.

lepfan
03-11-2006, 11:16 PM
pirate....I just skimmed over and missed the most important part of the article:rolleyes: I was busted on that one. :)

Phantom Stang
03-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Think if he would get behind a wheel and kill a couple of kids you may have different opinion? He should be thrown off of the team. Like the days of Switzer. Whats next? Keep making excuses for him.
If he was drunk, then wouldn't the charge have been Public Intoxication?

piratebg
03-11-2006, 11:17 PM
pirate....I just skimmed over and missed the most important part of the article:rolleyes: I was busted on that one. :)

No prob. You even had me doing a double take. :)

lepfan
03-11-2006, 11:18 PM
If he was drunk, then wouldn't the charge have been Public Intoxication? True!!!

You can NOT agree with his actions without bashing and making accusations...right Stang. :) :)

lepfan
03-11-2006, 11:20 PM
No prob. You even had me doing a double take. :) I tried to edit as fast as I could...but I am on dial up at my mom and dad's...so ya beat me to the response :)

Emerson1
03-11-2006, 11:25 PM
He wasn't wasted.

TheDOCTORdre
03-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He wasn't wasted.
thats exactly right so that makes it ok :rolleyes:

etbu
03-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He wasn't wasted.

Thats rich. Keeping makem for old Bomar. :o

lepfan
03-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
thats exactly right so that makes it ok :rolleyes: I don't think anyone said it was "ok"....BUT....why do some have to make accusations that have nothing to do with the facts...BLANK STATEMENTS is what I call them.

I am sure he will be reprimanded in some sort of fashion...will he be kicked off the team for drinking beer...probably not...if that were the norm in cases like this we would not have many players on MOST college teams. I am not trying to make excuses for him...I just want others to realize HE IS NOT THE ONLY COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER (under or over 21) TO DRINK BEER!!! Does it make it right? Maybe not...but it does happen. Those quick to judge need to realize that just because your chosen one has not been cited that they do not sip one or two....(not saying all do it...but the majority DO)

Eagle6Man
03-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Arrested???? I think he was only cited....Never mind...he was transported...sorry

Eagle...where did you get this steroid in possession business???

Lepfan...I was using the Chief's logic is all. The Chief doesn't find anything wrong with steroids, and so I knew he wouldn't find anything wrong with minor in possession.:D

A minor in possession is a serious charge...doesn't matter if they go to OU or A&M. Of course I suspect if this were a UT player, the Chief would have ragged on the player....but if it's OU...it's all OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK.

Phantom Stang
03-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
I suspect if this were a UT player, the Chief would have ragged on the player
I don't doubt that for a second.

I'm still not gonna condemn a young man for having a beer, less than a year before his 21st birthday.

Eagle6Man
03-12-2006, 12:31 AM
I don't doubt that for a second.

I'm still not gonna condem a young man for having a beer, less than a year before his 21st birthday.

I hear ya Phantom.

My issue isn't with Bomar. He probably got a ticket and learned his lesson. That isn't my rant.

My rant is with people who change their story and beliefs depending on what color jersey they wear on the football field.

What I mean to say are the fans...
My point being, all Hades would have come down from the Chief had this been a UT player in the same situation, but since it was an OU player..all is well north of the river.

mrescape43
03-12-2006, 12:53 AM

until next time
the chief
Loser!!!!!! :D :D :D

Chris Hart
03-12-2006, 12:53 AM
I don't like the Oklahoma Sooners at all, but I don't see this being any worse than what has gone on at UT in year's past. Wasn't Cedric Benson arrested twice while at UT? Once for posession of marijuana and then again on criminal mischief? And, didn't several UT players(3 I think) get arrested on their way back from Huntsville for posession of ALOT of marijuana? I don't remember any serious repercussions from any of those incidents. Am I wrong? Just looking at both sides of the coin here....:thinking:

Chief Ohera
03-12-2006, 02:23 AM
hey the kid is in college and let him have a beer, wow what harm does it do, absolutely nothing,
a "MIP" is nothing less than a Minor traffic ticket, they are weak and pointless, i have gotton plenty of MIP'S back in my day,
so go for it Rhett, these guys need to go have a cold beer with you. and celebrate,
it is really not a big deal,

COPS ARE CROOKED and weasel's, and hell, anyone can be a cop, but not everyone can be an athlete or a doctor/lawyer,
so cops are no good, the ones that i have unfortunately run into serve on good and are jerks and i'm sure it was the same in bomar's situation
so pin your ears back and keep your heads on a swivel for when the chief speaks his mind again
your buddy and brother the CHIEF
until next time. BOOMER SOONER

piratebg
03-12-2006, 02:50 AM
NOT ALL COPS ARE CROOKED CHIEF!!!

I work in law enforcement.
My father works in law enforcement.
My grandfrather worked in law enfrorcement.

While I cannot deny that their are some bad apples out there, I can say that it is my experience that most people who make this statement are repeat offenders. They are just people who have pissed off so many cops in their lifetime because: 1.) they didn't know how to shut up because they think they know everything 2.) they think the law only applies to everyone else but them 3.) they can't seem to understand that the reason they keep getting in trouble is there own fault, not because the cops don't like me and follow me day and night.

If you think you can do the job than I DARE you to try. People like you are so unappreciative of the things that we do. You get arrested and we are the bad guys. Someone wants to kick your butt and you come running through our doors crying for help. As far as I am concerned, you probably deserved every single one of your punishments.
anything but your buddy or your brother
until next time PIRATEBG

HighSchool Fan
03-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Hopefully he and other players can learn from this whole ordeal.

it doesn't seem like he will learn. that's 2 since september.

Maroon87
03-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Beer < 21 = Illegal. Pretty simple equation...nothing crooked about it.

Bullaholic
03-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Chief.....I don't think you are giving credit to the "good" men and women in law enforcement. How would you like to have a job where anyone can "spit" in your face and cuss you out, and all you can do for fear of losing your job is restrain and cuff them and write them a citiation or carry them to jail. Would you like to approach an unknown vehicle on a traffic stop not knowing if any of the occupants is armed? Would you like the terrible responsibility of making a split-second decision as to whether or not to fire your weapon and who to fire at? Would you want to make traffic stops on major highways where your back is about 3ft. from traffic rushing past with a lot of distracted drivers behind the wheel? Would you llike to have a steady diet of coming in close contact with some of the most awful "filth" that passes for human beings in our society on a daily basis?

Thank God for the dedicated men and women of law enforcement who risk their lives daily for our protection. Without them we would have anarchy and chaos in our society. Maybe the next time you get stopped, Chief, you should be saying "thanks", instead of "Why me?".

etbu
03-12-2006, 10:23 AM
If Bomar does not doing something STUPID this conversation never takes place. As always the case when somone does something wrong the good people are to blame. Well let me tell you Bomar is not the vicitim here he is the culprit. :inlove: No biggie though some Sooner alum has already stepped up and taken charge of the situation.

Eagle6Man
03-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Chief.....I don't think you are giving credit to the "good" men and women in law enforcement. How would you like to have a job where anyone can "spit" in your face and cuss you out, and all you can do for fear of losing your job is restrain and cuff them and write them a citiation or carry them to jail. Would you like to approach an unknown vehicle on a traffic stop not knowing if any of the occupants is armed? Would you like the terrible responsibility of making a split-second decision as to whether or not to fire your weapon and who to fire at? Would you want to make traffic stops on major highways where your back is about 3ft. from traffic rushing past with a lot of distracted drivers behind the wheel? Would you llike to have a steady diet of coming in close contact with some of the most awful "filth" that passes for human beings in our society on a daily basis?

Thank God for the dedicated men and women of law enforcement who risk their lives daily for our protection. Without them we would have anarchy and chaos in our society. Maybe the next time you get stopped, Chief, you should be saying "thanks", instead of "Why me?".

Bull, good point. You and I both know it takes couragous people to be in law enforcment. I think that some people won't understand or appreciate what you are saying. They are too busy slamming law enforcement for something they did.
I am continually amazed at some folk's thinking. Let's review:

1) Steroids, ok
2) minors in pocession, ok
3) Can't take a harmless joke and demands justice.
4) Claims to be an expert in track.
5) Has no credibility whatsoever.
6) Has already admitted to having a police record

Are we getting a picture here?

I don't mean to bash anyone here, but frankly, I wonder what kind of person we are dealing with?

Bullaholic
03-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Perhaps it is our job to show the Chief, and others, why perhaps another way is better by our example, and maybe they will want to find out more for themselves. No one has all the correct answers, but if we all are willing to "share" our knowledge without putting it on the end of a "stick" to try to ram down another's throat, all of us profit from the experiences and society is the beneficiary.

Remember, Matthew was a tax collector before he became a disciple.

Eagle6Man
03-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Perhaps it is our job to show the Chief, and others, why perhaps another way is better by our example, and maybe they will want to find out more for themselves. No one has all the correct answers, but if we all are willing to "share" our knowledge without putting it on the end of a "stick" to try to ram down another's throat, all of us profit from the experiences and society is the beneficiary.

Remember, Matthew was a tax collector before he became a disciple.

And conversely,

Judas was a disciple.

lepfan
03-12-2006, 12:20 PM
If y'all think Chief is so stupid then STOP biting his hook!!!! It only puts you in the same tank as him....geez. Look at what some of you are writing....it is like two kids popping off at each other. You have to be (or act) smarter than your foe...

Thank you Chris....that is my point I have been trying to make. It appears that some need to clean the walls of their glass house!!!

Phil C
03-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Plain and Simple - it was a MIP and it will go to the courts and let them and Oklahoma and Coach Stoops determine the punishments. The football part about it is an internal affair with Coach Stoops and OU.

lepfan
03-12-2006, 12:26 PM
NOT ALL COPS ARE CROOKED!!!

Pirate...come to my little town in SE OK...they need some BIG help here. YOUNG with NO training....it appears they were the underdog in school and are having to let everyone know they are in control!!! They need some level headed mentors here....it will be a challenge....are you game for it?

I hate those few bad apples that give the good ones a BAD name :(

Emerson1
03-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Plain and Simple - it was a MIP and it will go to the courts and let them and Oklahoma and Coach Stoops determine the punishments. The football part about it is an internal affair with Coach Stoops and OU.
Since he is a big sar in OK nothing will probably come of this, just a mark on his record and a fine. Coach might have to do some hard punishment and suspend him for a practice

big daddy russ
03-12-2006, 01:56 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I agree with Stang and lepfan. I got an MIP two months before I turned 21. I just got lucky through life... had never been caught until then.

I'm not going to justify it, but I will say that vast majority of college kids that I know drink. I'm going to chalk it up to bad luck for now. He's growing up in the limelight and will have to learn how to better handle himself in better in the future, but I'm not going to knock him for acting like millions of kids his age without knocking all those kids (some of them my friends, some my friends' sons/daughters). I'll leave that to his parents.

This is the kind of thing he'll walk away from and learn something. At least he wasn't drunk.

big daddy russ
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
NOT ALL COPS ARE CROOKED CHIEF!!!

Please don't tell me you work in Taft. Tell me you work in Sinton, Odem, for the County, or somewhere else altogether.

44INAROW
03-12-2006, 02:09 PM
hey the kid is in college and let him have a beer, wow what harm does it do, absolutely nothing,
a "MIP" is nothing less than a Minor traffic ticket, they are weak and pointless, i have gotton plenty of MIP'S back in my day,

then obviously you don't know they are MUCH more expensive now than they were "back in the day" - depending on where you got the ticket, it could cost up to $500 and loss of your DL and required to get an SR22 to get it back..... when I was in school, it was $27.50, a written citation and you didn't have to call your parents.... totally different now (in the county I live in anyway) also, each one you get the penalty is more severe

****** I am not taking any sides on this issue, just providing some info (signed - mother of 3 boys - been there, done that :D )

44INAROW
03-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Please don't tell me you work in Taft. Tell me you work in Sinton, Odem, for the County, or somewhere else altogether.

we need that story again BDR......... :D

big daddy russ
03-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
we need that story again BDR......... :D
LOL. Another time, another place.

District303aPastPlayer
03-12-2006, 02:13 PM
portland :)

WOSgrad
03-12-2006, 02:35 PM
While I understand that among the spectrum of problems that a 20-year old could encounter, a minor in possession charge shouldn't doom him to a life sentence.

However, the fact that he has been cited twice and especially the manner in which he broke the law at the Hornet's game shows some very, very poor decision making from a guy who will be called on to make a lot of on-field decisions for the next few years at Oklahaoma.

Chief Ohera
03-12-2006, 03:26 PM
i just haven't had a had good slate with the police in my lifetime, that's all i am trying to say, it seems as if they always follow me around and try to arrest me and what not, it is just not fair,

anyone can be a cop, by god, all an individual has to do is go through a police academy, and then they are a cop, how hard can that be, i have seen some crooked cops in my day,

like bomar cares that he got that ticket, he is in college, big deal, bomar doesn't care and if i were stoops i wouldn't either,
"mip" is nothing major just a minor block in the road

until next time

DaHop72
03-12-2006, 07:11 PM
back in my day,
????????????:thinking: :thinking:

JasperDog94
03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
well first of all, bomar is a college student who is the starting qb for one of the most storied programs in america, even larger than ut. Wow. That didn't take long. Only two complete thoughts on a non UT thread to bash UT. Keep up the great work chief.:kiss:

Aesculus gilmus
03-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by WOSgrad
While I understand that among the spectrum of problems that a 20-year old could encounter, a minor in possession charge shouldn't doom him to a life sentence.

However, the fact that he has been cited twice and especially the manner in which he broke the law at the Hornet's game shows some very, very poor decision making from a guy who will be called on to make a lot of on-field decisions for the next few years at Oklahaoma.

Maybe he won't drink during the games, or at least if he does, not while he's in the huddle. I hope and pray he's the starter for the next three years.