PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys agree to terms with Kosier

kepdawg
03-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Cowboys agree to terms with Kosier

03:03 PM CST on Saturday, March 11, 2006

BY TODD ARCHER / Staff Writer

For the second straight year the Cowboys have started quickly in the free-agent market, agreeing to terms with free-agent guard Kyle Kosier on a five-year contract and re-signing Andre Gurode to a one-year deal Saturday.

Also, the Cowboys are also hosting free-agent linebacker Akin Ayodele, who played at Irving MacArthur High School and spent the previous four years in Jacksonville

Kosier agreed to a five-year, $15 million deal that includes a $5 million signing bonus. He met with coaches and the medical staff this morning.

In his four years, Kosier, 27, has started 43 games, including 11 last year in Detroit at left guard. He spent his first three seasons in San Francisco and played every position but center. His versatility is considered a big plus and coach Bill Parcells loves players who can play more than one position.

"He's really a Parcells' kind of guy," said agent Ken Zuckerman. "He was a Cowboys' fan growing up and really likes the tradition. Plus, he wants to go to a team that's a contender for a Super Bowl."

Kosier's signing could bring questions about Larry Allen's future. He is scheduled to count $7.5 million against the 2006 salary cap and is due a $2 million roster bonus on April 1.

Gurode received interest from San Francisco, where former Cowboys offensive line coach George Warhop now toils, and Atlanta.

"We're very enthused and excited about the opportunity to return to the Cowboys' organization," Gurode's agent, Kennard McGuire, said. "It presents a chance to finish what we started."

Gurode, a second-round pick in 2002, appeared to fall out of favor toward the end of 2004. He started two games last season, both at right guard, with Marco Rivera out with a neck injury, but coach Bill Parcells said he thought Gurode's best position was center.

With Gurode returning, he and Al Johnson would appear to be in a battle for the starting center spot in 2006.

As for Ayodele, he would be a replacement for Scott Fujita, who hit the open market at 11:01 p.m. CT Friday, at strong-side linebacker. Ayodele was credited with 70 tackles and 2½ sacks last year. He was the Jaguars' third-round pick in 2002, coming out of Purdue, where he played defensive end.

While the Cowboys negotiate with the agent for Ayodele, Fujita has lined up visits with New Orleans, Jacksonville and Oakland. He would be reunited in New Orleans with Cowobys linebacker coach Gary Gibbs, who is now the Saints defensive coordinator.

The Cowboys are also in the process of setting up a visit with tight end Ryan Hannam, who caught a game-tying touchdown against Dallas last season with Seattle, to possibly fill Dan Campbell's role. Campbell could receive interest from New Orleans, where he would be reunited with Sean Payton, the New York Jets and Washington.

E-mail tarcher@dallasnews.com

Eagle6Man
03-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Not to be negative, but I'm not a Gurode fan.

kepdawg
03-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
Not to be negative, but I'm not a Gurode fan.

I always get a big kick out of a statement that begins along the lines of:

"Not to be negative, but"

Adidas410s
03-11-2006, 05:47 PM
how much time did Harrington spend on his backside last year? Yeah...let's bring in some of those OL guys!

HighSchool Fan
03-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
how much time did Harrington spend on his backside last year? Yeah...let's bring in some of those OL guys!

harrington 23 times

bledsoe 49 times

big difference between both teams

kepdawg
03-11-2006, 05:54 PM

If given the choice, I'd prefer my QB to be sacked 24 times (Harrington) as opposed to 49 times (Bledsoe).

I didn't watch many Lions games so I don't know how much time Harrington spent on his backside.

Eagle6Man
03-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I always get a big kick out of a statement that begins along the lines of:

"Not to be negative, but"

Well, in essence I am trying to say I'm a Cowboy's fan but I wish they wouldn't do this.:cool:

Adidas410s
03-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
harrington 23 times

bledsoe 49 times

big difference between both teams

we must also consider Jeff Garcia because he started some and played in a fair # of games for them...

HighSchool Fan
03-11-2006, 06:10 PM
we must also consider Jeff Garcia because he started some and played in a fair # of games for them...

he was sacked 6 times

Adidas410s
03-11-2006, 06:12 PM

whoa I totally felt like Phil C for saying "we must also consider..." ;)

HighSchool Fan
03-11-2006, 06:13 PM
whoa I totally felt like Phil C

penicillin

Emerson1
03-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Cowboys should go after Kevin Mawae, probably the best center in the nfl. I also wonder what they were thinking when they releaed their best defensive linemen Laroi Glover. Hopefully dallas can have as good of a draft as last year

BreckTxLonghorn
03-11-2006, 11:42 PM
I misread the headline at first and thought that the Cowboys signed Kosar. I was wondering why we'd sign a 50 year old retired QB...