PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't MLB do something?

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 11:43 AM
With all of the Barry Bonds information that is coming out, my question is, why didn't MLB do something before now?

Why didn't they care to investigate Bonds with all of the accusations?

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/gameofshadows.jpg

DaHop72
03-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
With all of the Barry Bonds information that is coming out, my question is, why didn't MLB do something before now>

Why didn't they care to investigate Bonds with all of the accusations?

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/gameofshadows.jpg $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Then the Commissioner should have had the best interest of baseball. I think Bud Selig failed in his job. Just my humble opinion.

DaHop72
03-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I think Bud Selig failed in his job. Just my humble opinion. I couldn't agree more. Selig has failed miserably as a commisioner. As an owner first and the "an ex-owner", he does not put the best interest of baseball first.

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I couldn't agree more. Selig has failed miserably as a commisioner. As an owner first and the "an ex-owner", he does not put the best interest of baseball first.

^5

SintonFan_inAustin
03-10-2006, 12:52 PM
this information isnt new stuff, and it dont change what they think about bonds either, didnt u already know about Bonds, most likely yes, so this guy just making money from this book that has already been known:doh:

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
this information isnt new stuff, and it dont change what they think about bonds either, didnt u already know about Bonds, most likely yes, so this guy just making money from this book that has already been known:doh:

Well I (and countless others too) suspected for many years that there was juice involved with Bonds, which leads me back to my question. If Selig suspected something, why didn't he investigate it to save the reputation of the great game?

Keith7
03-10-2006, 01:10 PM
mlb liked the homeruns

Maroon87
03-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I couldn't agree more. Selig has failed miserably as a commisioner. As an owner first and the "an ex-owner", he does not put the best interest of baseball first.

Sure he does. The best interest of baseball is money. Bonds chasing Aaron would mean packed houses this season wherever SF played. Hard to just dump that money in a pile and set it on fire.

Adidas410s
03-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Well I (and countless others too) suspected for many years that there was juice involved with Bonds, which leads me back to my question. If Selig suspected something, why didn't he investigate it to save the reputation of the great game?

I don't really think it's an issue of this hurting the reputation of the game. People that feel that steroids are rampant and a problem for baseball already felt that way before the book. Those who feel that baseball is a great game will still feel that way regardless of how the steriod issue is handled.

I'll add the rest of my thoughts on this subject later when I have more time...

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 01:31 PM
In my opinion, I think there is going to be a firestorm if he approaches Aaron's record while being "juiced".

I don't think the baseball traditionalists will take this quitely.

Macarthur
03-10-2006, 01:56 PM
the issue guys has to deal with the union. The baseball players union is the most powerful union in pro sports by a long shot. Selig really couldn't have done anything even if he wanted to. I agree Selig is just a tool, but even a strong commish probably could have only moved up this timetable for testing a year to two sooner. The real blame, IMO, is with the players themselves (i.e. the union). They refused to deal with this within their own ranks. And sure, $ has lots to do with it. ;)

GreenMonster
03-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
mlb liked the homeruns

butts in the buckets and asses in the seats. free headlines = more interest, more interest = more revenue, more revenue = happy owners and players. So what if there is a little bit of bad publicity, in the business world there is no such thing as bad publicity, there's just publicity. How can all of this interest in baseball be a bad thing for baseball? Face it guys, on that level it's no longer a game. It's all business.

Buccaneer
03-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Steroids weren't illegal in baseball until recently. Since then Bonds has never failed a drug test!

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
butts in the buckets and asses in the seats. free headlines = more interest, more interest = more revenue, more revenue = happy owners and players. So what if there is a little bit of bad publicity, in the business world there is no such thing as bad publicity, there's just publicity. How can all of this interest in baseball be a bad thing for baseball? Face it guys, on that level it's no longer a game. It's all business.

Question for ya Monster,

If Bonds breaks Aaron's record, do we break out the asterisk?

DaHop72
03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
butts in the buckets and asses in the seats. free headlines = more interest, more interest = more revenue, more revenue = happy owners and players. So what if there is a little bit of bad publicity, in the business world there is no such thing as bad publicity, there's just publicity. How can all of this interest in baseball be a bad thing for baseball? Face it guys, on that level it's no longer a game. It's all business. Your right Monster, but that is also why I have pretty much quit watching pro baseball. I know it is my choice, but the business of pro sports has pretty much drove me to the High school level and down to the Little League level.

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 02:58 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2005-03-15-canseco.jpg
The release of Jose Canseco's tell-all book — along with his appearance on '60 Minutes' — has played a large role in MLB looking into steroid use.

A decision to let steroid-fueled records stand might not be a hit with fans. In a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup poll conducted in December, 82% of fans said they believe records set by athletes using steroids should either be eliminated or kept with a notation.

Vincent says steroid suspicions could leave recent achievements "clouded," dampening enthusiasm for historical comparisons: "I think one of the problems will be this will undercut some of that."

Says Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle: "I think the records are going to stay, but a lot of baseball fans in their minds are going to have an asterisk by it." (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-03-15-steroids-mlb-cover_x.htm)

Phantom Stang
03-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Selig is just a tool.
yep :D

GreenMonster
03-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Question for ya Monster,

If Bonds breaks Aaron's record, do we breask out the asterisk?

Without a doubt. Honestly though, Bonds is done. The lack of the "Juice" and that major knee surgery have killed any hopes Bonds ever had at reaching Aaron.