PDA

View Full Version : doea A&M have to beat Colorado to get in

lostaussie
03-09-2006, 08:29 PM
i think they do. Big 12 will get 4 and i think the winner of this game gets in. jmo. btw, does anyone know what time they play tomorrow?

eagles_victory
03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
should be the same time Baylor played Colorado today around 2 I think this is a play in game. You win your in. IMO A&M dodged a huge bullet today when Colorado won because if they lost and the ags played Baylor you dont gain much from that win but you lose so much if you lose so they should be glad the buffs won I hate A&M but i would like to see them dance.

big daddy russ
03-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I personally don't think CU gets in unless they go to the Big XII Championship. They finished the regular season a game back of A&M (9-7 in conference) and lost their only game to the Ags... I don't think a split helps their cause a whole heck of a lot.

I think it depends on how TAMU plays. If the Aggies show up and make it a good game, they still COULD get in although their chances slip a little.

If the Ags lose and make it a game their chances of dancing probably have as much to do with the committee's view of the real strength of the Big XII as to whether they let 3 or 4 in. I can't see the Big XII getting any fewer than 4, but stranger things have happened.

KTJ
03-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes.

lostaussie
03-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Yes. i like a no nonsense answer:D

Eagle6Man
03-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Men's Big 12 tournament schedule
All games at American Airlines Center

Thursday's first round
No. 8 Texas Tech vs. No. 9 Kansas State, 11:30 a.m. (ESPN Plus, ESPNU)

No. 5 Colorado vs. No. 12 Baylor, 2 p.m. (ESPN Plus, ESPNU)

No. 7 Oklahoma State vs. No. 10 Iowa State, 6 p.m. (ESPN Plus, ESPNU)

No. 6 Nebraska vs. No. 11 Missouri, 8:20 p.m. (ESPN2, ESPNU)

Friday's quarterfinals
No. 1 Texas vs. Texas Tech or Kansas State, 11:30 a.m. (ESPN Plus, ESPNU)

No. 4 Texas A&M vs. Colorado or Baylor, 2 p.m. (ESPN Plus, ESPNU)

No. 2 Kansas vs. Oklahoma State or Iowa Sttae, 6 p.m. (ESPN Plus, ESPNU)

No. 3 Oklahoma vs. Nebraska or Missouri, 8:20 p.m. (ESPN Plus & ESPNU)

Saturday's semifinals
Friday Afternoon Winners, 1 p.m. (ESPN Plus or ESPN2)

Friday Evening Winners, 3:20 p.m. (ESPN Plus or ESPN2)

Sunday's championship
Semifinal Winners, 2 p.m. (ESPN)

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 08:05 AM
A win should be A&M's ticket in
Beating Buffaloes would make Sunday a lot easier on Aggies

02:15 AM CST on Friday, March 10, 2006
By RACHEL COHEN / Staff Writer

Billy Gillispie sees the photo every day. It hangs in his living room, the forever-frozen moment when his UT-El Paso players learned they had made the NCAA Tournament.

You can count it in hours now, the time until the coach's current team gathers together to watch for the words Texas A&M to appear somewhere, anywhere, on a bracket.

Will the Aggies be like that UTEP squad of two years ago, stomachs plummeting every time a region full of other lucky schools appears on the television screen? Or will they just be wondering who they play and where they play them?

We should know that, at least, before Sunday. It all depends on what happens in today's Phillips 66 Big 12 tournament quarterfinal. A&M, the No. 4 seed, meets fifth-seeded Colorado, which just happens to be a fellow bubble-dweller.

Just in case the Aggies needed any more pressure: They've never won a Big 12 tournament game. Nine years, nine first-round losses.

But win today, and A&M is no longer the program of nevers and not sinces. The Aggies have rid themselves of many dubious streaks in two seasons under Gillispie: the 20 consecutive losses to Big 12 foes, the 10-year postseason drought, the 17 straight NBA drafts without a selection. The last two major ones – no conference tournament wins since 1994, no NCAA appearances since 1987 – should evaporate with a victory over Colorado.

The Aggies have practiced hard all season, Gillispie said, but execution has been noticeably better the last six weeks or so. Confidence is what he and point guard Acie Law call the difference during their seven-game win streak.

Gillispie may consider defense first, second and third in determining his rotation, but he wants even the most defensive-minded player to take shots. It's more common to see him pull someone from a game for failing to act on an open look than for launching what appears to be a bad shot.

"It's just as bad – I won't use the word selfish – when a guy doesn't take a shot," Gillispie said.

When teammates move the ball around and set up a good look, he said, the offensive flow is disrupted if that player doesn't shoot.

"We don't worry about missing shots," Gillispie said.

Law's scoring average has increased this season, but his biggest improvement may be in his all-around game. Even when his shot hasn't been falling, his defense and passing have rallied A&M. Last year, Law said, "I'd miss a few shots and get down on myself."

The last time A&M visited American Airlines Center for the Big 12 tournament, in 2004, the Aggies were 0-16 in conference play. The day before its first-round game, the school announced coach Melvin Watkins' forced resignation.

It was later that week that Gillispie's UTEP team assembled at his house to view the NCAA selection show. Because of a travel scheduling snafu in returning from the conference tournament, the Miners had woken up at 4 a.m. and been on the road all day.

CBS showed one region, then another, then another, and no UTEP. It showed the first half of the last region. No UTEP. Then, on the final screen, appeared the words they'd longed to see.

The Miners were the last at-large team to get in.

As Gillispie said, "It was the best day your could ever imagine."

DaHop72
03-10-2006, 09:08 AM
On Mike and Mike this a.m., the experts say the winner of CU/A&M should get in.

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 09:10 AM
My shocker prediction for today?

Nebraska beats OU. Sorry bout that Sooner fans, I just have a feeling.:thinking:

AggieJohn
03-10-2006, 10:38 AM
yeah, they do because they have to get that fourth spot most definately now since the orangmen beat uconn and took one less bubble team out of the tourney...

KTJ
03-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Lundardi just updated his bracket--Texas A&m is OUT.

Today is definitely a play-in game for CU/Texas A&M

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 11:26 AM
(Yawn) :D

big daddy russ
03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

I guess he just updated it again (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology). A&M's in as a 12-seed in San Diego right now... but that could change today.

lostaussie
03-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm soooooo confused:D

BreckTxLonghorn
03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
I've always thought aTm didn't have a chance, but after looking at the Big12 bracket, they're 95% in with a win over CU, 99% if its a decisive one. This would set up a third game with Texas (assuming Texas takes down Tech), and if the Ags even play a decent game against UT, I say they're auto-in.

I think they're out if they lose to Colorado, and they're chances get shaky if they win CU but get blown out in the semis.

Just my opinion though.

Macarthur
03-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I think a win and they are definately in. They may be in with a close loss to CU. Gillespie is very well respected around the country.

gobblergolf
03-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Looks like The Ags are going to prove those doubters wrong and get in. I'm not one to start believing that our Aggie Bball team is now dominant but I do believe we deserve the NCAA Tourney. We are up 74 -43 with 4:23 left so that should seal it. The game between us and Texas should be a good one tomorrow. It will def be hard to beat such a good team 2 times in a row, but we'll see.

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by gobblergolf
Looks like The Ags are going to prove those doubters wrong and get in. I'm not one to start believing that our Aggie Bball team is now dominant but I do believe we deserve the NCAA Tourney. We are up 74 -43 with 4:23 left so that should seal it. The game between us and Texas should be a good one tomorrow. It will def be hard to beat such a good team 2 times in a row, but we'll see.

:thumbsup:

gobblergolf
03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

One more thing......

Just to clear some stuff up, as of this morning Lundardi had only changed his placing of A&M. Yesterday he had us as the #9 seed in the Atlanta bracket. In that case A&M would have played the # 8 seed being Wisconsin. However, this morning he moved A&M to the #12 seed in the Minneapolis bracket, which would have had them play George Washington as the #5 seed.

Those were his predictions as of 8:00 this morning when I was on espn.com while at work. That would end the confusion but after winning today the predictions are sure to change again. I guess its one of those things we'll never know until "Selection Sunday"

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 05:46 PM
I guess its one of those things we'll never know until "Selection Sunday"

I think that's what his intentions are, hoping we fans forgot what he said the prior week.

Eagle6Man
03-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
My shocker prediction for today?

Nebraska beats OU. Sorry bout that Sooner fans, I just have a feeling.:thinking:

Adidas410s
03-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man

good call