PDA

View Full Version : Clemens nonchalant about visit to Rangers' complex

Maroon87
03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Associated Press

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Roger Clemens visited the Texas Rangers' complex Thursday, saying he was merely reciprocating a trip owner Tom Hicks made to Houston earlier this year.

"I've never pitched in Arizona, and I told him I wanted to come see things in Surprise," Clemens said.

The Rangers are among four teams Clemens said he would consider joining if he decides to play beyond the World Baseball Classic. The others are his hometown Houston Astros; the New York Yankees, where he won two World Series; and the Boston Red Sox, the team that drafted him out of the University of Texas in 1983.

Clemens is scheduled to start for Team USA in its final preliminary game of the WBC against South Africa on Friday in Scottsdale, not far from the Rangers' training facility. He said he doubted he would decide before opening day whether to pitch in the major leagues this season.

"Right now, I'm thinking about winning a game on Friday," Clemens said. "I just hope it's going to mean something."

The U.S. could be eliminated from advancing in the WBC if Mexico beats Canada 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 Thursday.

Clemens is no stranger to Arlington. His wife is from the Dallas area, and he said he has lots of family and friends who have been lobbying him to join the Rangers.

"You can believe that," Clemens said. "We'll see what happens. Whatever, I plan to be around Arlington a lot in the future."

But he was a little late to Surprise on Thursday. Hicks blamed the navigation system in Clemens' rental car, which recommended the shortest, but slowest, route to the Rangers' complex.

"Where is he? It's his first day, and he's already 20 minutes late," designated hitter Phil Nevin said jokingly. "I hope someone is going to make him run laps."

Adidas410s
03-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Geez I was hoping to beat you into getting it posted over here...

Maroon87
03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Geez I was hoping to beat you into getting it posted over here...

I'm pretty quick, dude...;)

SWMustang
03-09-2006, 04:07 PM
He ain't going to the Rangers.