PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young not ready for NFL

Keith7
03-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Vince Young not ready for NFL
By Jason Whitlock
Special to Page 2

You have to wonder whether Vince Young knows what job he's applying for, or if he even realizes that he is "applying" for a job.

The NFL doesn't recruit starting quarterbacks. It's not the Marines out looking for a few good men. When it comes to picking its quarterbacks, The League is Halle Berry on Oscar night. She can pick any designer she pleases, and the world's most renowned designers are just grateful for the opportunity to be considered.

Vince Young doesn't get this. He thinks joining the NFL will be similar to joining the NCAA. He mistakenly believes he's holding all (or most of) the cards, and that come April's draft some lucky GM is going to feel like a lottery winner when Vince Young stands next to Paul Tagliabue and pulls on a Saints or Texans or Titans cap.

Vince Young is clueless. And I'm not talking about his score on the Wonderlic test. I'm talking about his understanding of what it takes to make it in the NFL as a quarterback.

Humility is the No. 1 ingredient.

The most prestigious and most difficult job in all of sports -- NFL quarterback -- is played at a high level by the men willing to humble themselves and prepare like each Sunday is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

This isn't the NBA, and Young isn't Shaquille O'Neal. You don't get the first half of the season to play your way into shape. It's not Major League Baseball, and Young isn't Roger Clemens. You don't get to stay at home with your family on certain road trips.

This isn't the University of Texas, and Young is no longer able to rely on his superior athleticism and instincts to outduel his competitors.

Young's success in the NFL will hinge almost exclusively on his willingness to prepare. And that's exactly what Young's Wonderlic score and other curious decisions call into question -- his will to prepare and his level of humility.

The fact that Young had to take the Wonderlic twice in order to score a 16 is an indication to me that Young did not prepare for the test, particularly the first time. That speaks to Young's arrogance. So does his choice in representation and his decision to visit the president and the White House sans sports coat and tie.

Are you following me?

When you have a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, securing a $25 million signing bonus and landing one of the 32 most important jobs in professional sports, you don't pick a family friend and local criminal defense attorney (Major Adams) to head up your campaign.

That's not keeping it real. It's foolish and arrogant. It raises questions about your decision-making and maturity.

Now, had Young wanted to give Major Adams a break, Young could've easily stipulated to any experienced potential agent that Adams work as co-counsel. A deal such as this would've provided Adams with a tremendous learning experience and protected Young's interest.

It would've given Team Vince, the loosely formed management posse representing Young, some much-needed professionalism. A seasoned agent might be able to explain to Young the difference between being an NFL quarterback and an NBA small forward.

Small forwards travel with posses decked out in white T's, bling bling and agents in sweat suits. NFL quarterbacks don't.

When Young hit radio row at Super Bowl XL with posse and Major Adams in tow, that was the first time I sensed that Young might not grasp that the rules are different for QBs and DBs. When I learned that the leader of Young's posse (and the man calling the real shots for Team Vince) is a longtime friend and Houston nightclub owner who goes by the nickname "Black," that's when I told a friend to keep an eye on Young's draft stock.

"It's gonna dip."

A starting NFL quarterback is the face of a billion-dollar corporation. He is one of the three or four highest-profile individuals in his city and perhaps in his state. His every move is cussed, discussed and analyzed by millions of people who don't have a clue about playing the position.

It's impossible to exaggerate just how much more important the NFL is than every other sport in this country. Vince Young foolishly thinks that the Texas Longhorns and Mack Brown are more important than the Houston Texans and Gary Kubiak. Young thinks playing USC for the national championship was real pressure.

Playing quarterback in the NFL is the equivalent of getting in the sack with Jenna Jameson. Oh, everybody wants to do it, but it can be an incredibly humbling and "short" experience.

Just ask Ryan Leaf or countless other can't-miss prospects. Michael Vick is in the process of getting humbled. He was supposed to reinvent the position. I don't believe the position will ever be reinvented. The guys who have consistent success will always be the guys who prepare the hardest.

Before any NFL owner gives Young a bunch of guaranteed dollars, the general manager better make sure Young is going to hit the film room and practice field just as hard as Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady. The GM also should make sure that the head coach and offensive coordinator -- not some let's-hit-the-strip-clubs posse member -- have the ear of the quarterback.

Playing QB in The League is a different animal.

It's an honor. So far, Vince Young isn't treating it like an honor. He's treating it like it's his right, granted to him by an MVP performance in the Rose Bowl. You can be a fool and argue that Young proved all he needed to prove in Texas' upset of USC. Hmm. Didn't Redskins running back Tim Smith and Cowboys cornerback Larry Brown have big games on football's biggest stage and later prove to be frauds? And what don't people understand about the concept that NFL quarterbacks have to prove themselves week to week?

Right now Young is proving that he doesn't have the necessary intangibles to thrive as a starting QB. He carries himself like a wide receiver.

Jason Whitlock is a regular columnist for The Kansas City Star. His newspaper is celebrating his 10 years as a columnist with the publishing of Jason's first book, "Love Him, Hate Him: 10 Years of Sports, Passion and Kansas City." It's a collection of Jason's most memorable, thought-provoking and funny columns over the past decade. You can purchase the book at TheKansasCityStore.com. Jason can be reached by e-mail at ballstate68@aol.com. Sound off to Page 2 here.

kosmo
03-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I have always held judgment out on this writer, Jason Whitlock. I didn't know whether to love or hate him. But he just soldified my position. THIS DUDE IS FREAKING AWESOME. He took the words right out of my mouth. I am saving this article and other posts that I personnaly have made trashing Vince Young and saying he will be a flop in my files, so that when it does happen I can say, "see all you Vince Young lovers, I told you so." Watch and see my friends, watch and see.

Phil C
03-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Says you. Jason when did you ever qb a team in the NFL. Young will be great in the NFL as well as in college.

STANG RED
03-09-2006, 02:18 PM
I have a feeling this guy got his journalism degree from USC or OU.
No body knows how Vince is going to fare in the NFL for sure. Even if he does great, I'm sure he will have his fare share of growing pains that will bring out the nay sayers everytime he screws up. If he has 4 TD passes and 2 INTs in his first NFL game, you know the nay sayers are going to focus on the 2 INTs, especially if they lose.

At least we know Cheif Oroid didnt write the article. It was way to well written for his work.

Phil C
03-09-2006, 02:22 PM
[Humility is the No. 1 ingredient.

t's impossible to exaggerate just how much more important the NFL is than every other sport in this country. Vince Young foolishly thinks that the Texas Longhorns and Mack Brown are more important than the Houston Texans and Gary Kubiak. Young thinks playing USC for the national championship was real pressure.

Humility the No. 1 ingredient. Did you hear that Mr. Joe Namath! You had no humility. No wonder those Colts whipped the Jets in that third super bowl! :D

I am sure Mr. Whitlock has a super bowl ring for leading a team to glory. What year was that Mr. Whitlock? :)

UT and Texas more important that the Houston Texans and Gary Kubiak! :eek: You bet! :)

Playing USC or any team for the NC is no pressure. You are only playing before a packed stadium with millions of more people watching on tv and sportswriters that are watching and commenting on the game. No pressure at all. Just another dull day at the office. :)

wedo
03-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Hell yeah thats what i was just thinking!!!!
Tell'em man!!!!!

Phil C
03-09-2006, 02:29 PM
And that was what was wrong with John Elway with his lack of humility in saying before he was drafted "No way I will play in Baltimore!" John no wonder you were a flop as a pro qb! No super bowls or wins in super bowls either!'

John you just didn't have humility. Where was Mr. Whitlock when you needed him John.

:D

Black_Magic
03-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Vince Young not ready for NFL
By Jason Whitlock
Special to Page 2

You have to wonder whether Vince Young knows what job he's applying for, or if he even realizes that he is "applying" for a job.

The NFL doesn't recruit starting quarterbacks. It's not the Marines out looking for a few good men. When it comes to picking its quarterbacks, The League is Halle Berry on Oscar night. She can pick any designer she pleases, and the world's most renowned designers are just grateful for the opportunity to be considered.

Vince Young doesn't get this. He thinks joining the NFL will be similar to joining the NCAA. He mistakenly believes he's holding all (or most of) the cards, and that come April's draft some lucky GM is going to feel like a lottery winner when Vince Young stands next to Paul Tagliabue and pulls on a Saints or Texans or Titans cap.

Vince Young is clueless. And I'm not talking about his score on the Wonderlic test. I'm talking about his understanding of what it takes to make it in the NFL as a quarterback.

Humility is the No. 1 ingredient.

The most prestigious and most difficult job in all of sports -- NFL quarterback -- is played at a high level by the men willing to humble themselves and prepare like each Sunday is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

This isn't the NBA, and Young isn't Shaquille O'Neal. You don't get the first half of the season to play your way into shape. It's not Major League Baseball, and Young isn't Roger Clemens. You don't get to stay at home with your family on certain road trips.

This isn't the University of Texas, and Young is no longer able to rely on his superior athleticism and instincts to outduel his competitors.

Young's success in the NFL will hinge almost exclusively on his willingness to prepare. And that's exactly what Young's Wonderlic score and other curious decisions call into question -- his will to prepare and his level of humility.

The fact that Young had to take the Wonderlic twice in order to score a 16 is an indication to me that Young did not prepare for the test, particularly the first time. That speaks to Young's arrogance. So does his choice in representation and his decision to visit the president and the White House sans sports coat and tie.

Are you following me?

When you have a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, securing a $25 million signing bonus and landing one of the 32 most important jobs in professional sports, you don't pick a family friend and local criminal defense attorney (Major Adams) to head up your campaign.

That's not keeping it real. It's foolish and arrogant. It raises questions about your decision-making and maturity.

Now, had Young wanted to give Major Adams a break, Young could've easily stipulated to any experienced potential agent that Adams work as co-counsel. A deal such as this would've provided Adams with a tremendous learning experience and protected Young's interest.

It would've given Team Vince, the loosely formed management posse representing Young, some much-needed professionalism. A seasoned agent might be able to explain to Young the difference between being an NFL quarterback and an NBA small forward.

Small forwards travel with posses decked out in white T's, bling bling and agents in sweat suits. NFL quarterbacks don't.

When Young hit radio row at Super Bowl XL with posse and Major Adams in tow, that was the first time I sensed that Young might not grasp that the rules are different for QBs and DBs. When I learned that the leader of Young's posse (and the man calling the real shots for Team Vince) is a longtime friend and Houston nightclub owner who goes by the nickname "Black," that's when I told a friend to keep an eye on Young's draft stock.

"It's gonna dip."

A starting NFL quarterback is the face of a billion-dollar corporation. He is one of the three or four highest-profile individuals in his city and perhaps in his state. His every move is cussed, discussed and analyzed by millions of people who don't have a clue about playing the position.

It's impossible to exaggerate just how much more important the NFL is than every other sport in this country. Vince Young foolishly thinks that the Texas Longhorns and Mack Brown are more important than the Houston Texans and Gary Kubiak. Young thinks playing USC for the national championship was real pressure.

Playing quarterback in the NFL is the equivalent of getting in the sack with Jenna Jameson. Oh, everybody wants to do it, but it can be an incredibly humbling and "short" experience.

Just ask Ryan Leaf or countless other can't-miss prospects. Michael Vick is in the process of getting humbled. He was supposed to reinvent the position. I don't believe the position will ever be reinvented. The guys who have consistent success will always be the guys who prepare the hardest.

Before any NFL owner gives Young a bunch of guaranteed dollars, the general manager better make sure Young is going to hit the film room and practice field just as hard as Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady. The GM also should make sure that the head coach and offensive coordinator -- not some let's-hit-the-strip-clubs posse member -- have the ear of the quarterback.

Playing QB in The League is a different animal.

It's an honor. So far, Vince Young isn't treating it like an honor. He's treating it like it's his right, granted to him by an MVP performance in the Rose Bowl. You can be a fool and argue that Young proved all he needed to prove in Texas' upset of USC. Hmm. Didn't Redskins running back Tim Smith and Cowboys cornerback Larry Brown have big games on football's biggest stage and later prove to be frauds? And what don't people understand about the concept that NFL quarterbacks have to prove themselves week to week?

Right now Young is proving that he doesn't have the necessary intangibles to thrive as a starting QB. He carries himself like a wide receiver.

Jason Whitlock is a regular columnist for The Kansas City Star. His newspaper is celebrating his 10 years as a columnist with the publishing of Jason's first book, "Love Him, Hate Him: 10 Years of Sports, Passion and Kansas City." It's a collection of Jason's most memorable, thought-provoking and funny columns over the past decade. You can purchase the book at TheKansasCityStore.com. Jason can be reached by e-mail at ballstate68@aol.com. Sound off to Page 2 here. Talk about a make you or break you piece of news print!! boy this guy will either be the smartest new journalist or the most foolish in the last few years..... if he is right then he can say I told you so and this guys stock will rise BUT if he is wrong then he will have NO credibility at all.

Chief Ohera
03-09-2006, 03:13 PM
it's about time, someone other than myself realized something about VY,
that he won't be a good NFL qb, people just don't see his passing skills and his mechanics, yes he is a good leader and a great scrambler, but his sytle just doen't fit the mold of today's qb's,
look at mike vick, what has he done in the NFL, absolutely not much, VY expects everything to be handed to him, he just doesn't get it,
he will be a flop people trust me on this one, he carried the longhorns with his legs not his passing skills,
when it was fourth and five on their last drive in the title game everyone in the whole nation knew that he wasn't going to pass, hell, he didn't even look for his receivers he just dropped back and ran the ball, and SC couldn't stop him,
his style won't produce and quality NFL qb,
trust me my brothers, it isn't going to happen, i'm sorry,
so keep your heads on a swivel and your eyes glued for when the chief appears again,
your buddy and confident the CHIEF. until next time............

kosmo
03-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
it's about time, someone other than myself realized something about VY,
that he won't be a good NFL qb, people just don't see his passing skills and his mechanics, yes he is a good leader and a great scrambler, but his sytle just doen't fit the mold of today's qb's,
look at mike vick, what has he done in the NFL, absolutely not much, VY expects everything to be handed to him, he just doesn't get it,
he will be a flop people trust me on this one, he carried the longhorns with his legs not his passing skills,
when it was fourth and five on their last drive in the title game everyone in the whole nation knew that he wasn't going to pass, hell, he didn't even look for his receivers he just dropped back and ran the ball, and SC couldn't stop him,
his style won't produce and quality NFL qb,
trust me my brothers, it isn't going to happen, i'm sorry,
so keep your heads on a swivel and your eyes glued for when the chief appears again,
your buddy and confident the CHIEF. until next time............

Chief, I would love to shake your hand. I am sure glad I am not the only one who sees VY is a tailback playing quarterback.

Macarthur
03-09-2006, 03:41 PM
black magic, this guy is not the only one saying these types of things. No one knows how good VY will be. All this guy is saying is that he's not taking this whole thing serious enough, and he's right.

3afan
03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
only time will tell ..... he'll get his chance and either he'll make it or he won't

big daddy russ
03-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Talk about a make you or break you piece of news print!! boy this guy will either be the smartest new journalist or the most foolish in the last few years..... if he is right then he can say I told you so and this guys stock will rise BUT if he is wrong then he will have NO credibility at all.
To tell you the truth, there is no "make or break" in the world of journalism with your stories. You don't have millions of fans nitpicking at everything you do.

Vince may wind up being the guy who reinvents the position the way Sammy Baugh did back in the day, but you'll have maybe three people who remember this article.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
All this guy is saying is that he's not taking this whole thing serious enough, and he's right.

Couldn't have said it better myself, but I'll try. Whitlock did not knock one athletic ability on Young. All he's saying is that Vince needs to focus to be better, and he's right. I've seen enough of Vince live in the past three years to know this guy has what it takes physically to excel at any position. Mentally, he's smart enough to play the game. But right now, he's not approaching the pros well enough. Vince is known for his arrogance and looseness before, during, and after games. That's what makes him Vince, and that's what brought the Horns together to become a National Championship team. This could work in the pros, but only if Vince starts realizing deep down it's a job now, and it's time to get serious.

I still see great things happening to the man, and I think if he went to Tennessee it would work even better, because Steve McNair (an all-around class act and Vince's mentor) could teach the NFL ways to VY in the first few years.

No matter how much we predict, only time will tell.

Chief Ohera
03-09-2006, 07:38 PM
okay please take a moment and listen to what the chief has to say, the whole VY thing will start to make more sense,

sooo. ever since the longhorns won the title everyone has been thinking that VY is jesus, i mean they "ya'll" adore this guy, and everyone has hopped on this dude's back and believe that he can do nothing wrong,
ever since they won, the talk about VY has turned into absolute ignorance on this forum, nobody wants to admit this guy has flaws when it comes to football, just b/c they won the title doesn't mean he is the best ever, it's really stupid, come on guys you all are smarter than that.

everyone on here hangs on what VY has done in the past and ya'll want to ignore what he does in individual workouts.
his draft status will drop and i feel for the team that drafts him

fellas, get bright about football and you can't possibly tell me this guy is going to succeed in the league, maybe physically but surely not mentally and mechanically.

wonder what his GPA was at Hippie capital of the world.
until next time.
your buddy the chief

Bullaholic
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
okay please take a moment and listen to what the chief has to say, the whole VY thing will start to make more sense,

sooo. ever since the longhorns won the title everyone has been thinking that VY is jesus, i mean they "ya'll" adore this guy, and everyone has hopped on this dude's back and believe that he can do nothing wrong,
ever since they won, the talk about VY has turned into absolute ignorance on this forum, nobody wants to admit this guy has flaws when it comes to football, just b/c they won the title doesn't mean he is the best ever, it's really stupid, come on guys you all are smarter than that.

everyone on here hangs on what VY has done in the past and ya'll want to ignore what he does in individual workouts.
his draft status will drop and i feel for the team that drafts him

fellas, get bright about football and you can't possibly tell me this guy is going to succeed in the league, maybe physically but surely not mentally and mechanically.

wonder what his GPA was at Hippie capital of the world.
until next time.
your buddy the chief

Chief....You've been doing better up to now. Nobody is more "hung up" on VY than you. You have stated your opinions on VY's ability and NFL future "ad nauseum". Please don't expect everyone to accept your opinions as "gospel", just because you have stated them---that is a totally unrealistic expectation. 3AFan put the VY future question in proper perspective when he stated that only "time" will tell. Perhaps somewhere down the line you will either be "laughing" or "hiding" concerning VY. Until then, please try to get on your pony and gallop off into one direction, instead of all directions at once.

sinton66
03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
You are much nicer than me Bullaholic. I was gonna tell him to put his opinion where the sun don't shine.:D

lostaussie
03-09-2006, 09:17 PM
my opinion for nothing that it is worth. the guy has a little merit to his story. athletic ability i do not think is even a question. VY needs to get rid of his posse and all of these coattail hangers and figure out that this is a buisness. a J-O-B. if he doesn't get his head in the right place he is going to fail.