PDA

View Full Version : Back from Houston, Fogerty was Fantastic!

sinton66
03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
The John Fogerty concert surpassesd expectations. I don't know how many of you know that many years ago, John signed away the rights to his CCR hits in order to break his contract with Fantasy records because of a dispute with the exec of Fantasy (at the time) over a Fantasy lawsuit that alleged John plagerized himself in recording "The Old Man Down The Road". Fantasy claimed it was too much like CCR's "Run Through the Jungle". John successfully proved he didn't plagerize, and tried to move on. As a result he couldn't play CCR songs live in his concerts for 30 years. I'm guessing that exec is gone now as John has resigned with Fantasy and now can legally play CCR songs in his concerts. What we were treated to was a compilation performance of old and new that definitely did not disappoint anyone in attendance. There were, by my estimate, 40,000 people there.

John is getting old, but definitely doesn't look his 60 years. In fact, he looks remarkably good for his years. The compilation album is called "The Long Road Home" and is definitely worth the money. He has done shorter version remakes of "Keep on chooglin" and "Bootleg" in which the guitar rifts are better than the original and even better than the live versions he played in CCR concerts (which is saying a LOT). He played "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" and this was the first time I had ever seen him do it live anywhere. He did all the favorite CCR tunes plus a handful of his solos. Needless to say, after the first two minutes of the concert, he had people up and dancing in the aisles.

Should be some pics to follow in a day or two.

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the update Sinton.

I never knew all that. I bet it was a great concert.
Question: How long has he been able to do CCR songs again?

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2005/dec/fogerty/fogerty_540.jpg

sinton66
03-08-2006, 03:59 PM
From what I read, this is a new development. I don't know for sure if the Houston Concert was the first one, but it hasn't been long at all. This was the first I had heard about it.

Maroon87
03-08-2006, 04:03 PM
I was at the Rodeo on Monday night...for the "other" CCR...:cool: The acoustics in that place are awful.

sinton66
03-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Was "Revisited" there Monday night?

Maroon87
03-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Was "Revisited" there Monday night?

Cross Canadian Ragweed...:p

SWMustang
03-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Cross Canadian Ragweed...:p

One of my college roommates was always smoking that cross canadian ragweed....

sinton66
03-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I was at the Rodeo on Monday night...for the "other" CCR...:cool: The acoustics in that place are awful.

Well, it is HUGE, and nothing but a void with all hard surfaces so accoustics will usually suffer. Fogerty's concert wasn't bad sounding at all, but then John always did have a great mixer on his payroll.

Cat22
03-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm heading to the rodeo tonight to see Toby Keith.

Maroon87
03-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Cat22
I'm heading to the rodeo tonight to see Toby Keith.

Afterward you outta head to the "Hideout" inside the Astrodome. It's pretty cool if you haven't been...they basically turned the Dome into an enormous dance hall for the Rodeo.:cool:

Cat22
03-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Afterward you outta head to the "Hideout" inside the Astrodome. It's pretty cool if you haven't been...they basically turned the Dome into an enormous dance hall for the Rodeo.:cool:

I did not know that, I may check it out. Thanks!!

sinton66
03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
Thanks for the update Sinton.

I never knew all that. I bet it was a great concert.
Question: How long has he been able to do CCR songs again?

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2005/dec/fogerty/fogerty_540.jpg

According to his website, the Fantasy deal became a reality early last year when Concord bought out Fantasy. Principal owner in Concord is TV's Norman Lear.

LH Panther Mom
03-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. :thumbsup: (Now don't forget this when "daughter's day" comes around. ;) )

sinton66
03-08-2006, 09:11 PM
I bought her a t-shirt.:D

LH Panther Mom
03-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I bought her a t-shirt.:D
I hope it wasn't one that ended with "all I got was this t-shirt". :p

sinton66
03-08-2006, 09:31 PM
No, it was the latest cool t-shirt from his store.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6781/kustom4ii.jpg

John with his Kustom guitar amp

sinton66
03-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I only wish he could bring back the Kustom. That was a very distinct sound. No one has ever been able to duplicate it.

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 10:27 PM
I only wish he could bring back the Kustom. That was a very distinct sound. No one has ever been able to duplicate it.

I wish you had the ability to play that sound, I'm not sure what you mean.

sinton66
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
CCR had Kustom (brand) guitar amps. The 250 watters were six foot tall with rolled and pleated leather coverings ( CCR had the black ones). The prime feature in a Kustom amp was a 16 inch metal horn which gave it a very distinct sound. CCR and Fogerty in particular are the only ones I've ever heard that absolutely MASTERED that amp.