PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper asks for Contract Termination

District303aPastPlayer
03-08-2006, 02:52 PM
If no trade is reached...

District303aPastPlayer
03-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Daunte Culpepper's days in Minnesota might be numbered.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s4659.jpg Daunte Culpepper
Culpepper

The quarterback, due a $6 million roster bonus on March 17, released a statement to ESPN on Wednesday that read:

"Now that I have confirmed that the Vikings have been seeking to trade me, I have asked for permission to speak to the interested teams. The Vikings have denied my request. If a trade does not happen then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible. I appreciate that the owner, Mr. Wilf, is willing to pay my March bonus. However, because of the fundamental differences I have with management regarding the approach to my personal and professional life, I think it is the best business decision for both parties to go our separate ways. If the team chooses not to honor my request, then I intend to fulfill my contractual obligations to the Minnesota Vikings."

In a statement to the media in February, Culpepper said that he had offered to move his roster bonus to another date to help the Vikings sign more free agents under the salary cap -- though the team is projected to have plenty of room.

"If I am not traded, I want to help coach Childress make a serious run for the championship this year," Culpepper said.

However, both the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press reported that Vikings owner Zygi Wilf told reporters at the NFL scouting combine that the team planned to pay Culpepper the bonus.

When he was asked if Culpepper figures in the team's 2006 plans, Wilf said "That is our plan, yes. Always was."

Downplaying the trade speculation, coach Brad Childress asserted that he plans to have both Culpepper and Brad Johnson on the team this year at quarterback.

"That's the mindset," Childress said at the combine. "I don't know anything to the contrary."

The injured quarterback, who tore three ligaments in his right knee in an Oct. 30 game and has been rehabilitating in his native Florida, said last month that he told Wilf he wasn't happy with what he's been reading in the news -- and what he hasn't been hearing from the club.

"I shared my disappointment with the lack of communication and the false reports about me demanding more money coming out of Minnesota," said Culpepper, who let go of his agent in January and has been representing himself.

Childress acknowledged that the team has had inquiries about Culpepper.

"That's what goes on this time of year," he said.

But the coach diverted his comments toward Culpepper's knee. He's projected to return for training camp, but that's not a guarantee.

"He's three months out of a major surgery," Childress said. "Before we do anything, we're going to get him back to health.

"All my talk with the trainers is about getting him back to the level of play he was at in 2004," he said.

That's when Culpepper was chosen for his third Pro Bowl after setting several franchise records and establishing an NFL mark for most combined rushing and passing yardage. But playing without receiver Randy Moss, center Matt Birk and offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Scott Linehan, Culpepper started last season poorly and then suffered the devastating injury.

"All of the discussion about me being traded or cut has helped me realize that the contract I have ran out of guarantees the day I was injured," he said. "Therefore each year they pay you to play is a gift. I expect that if there are no changes to my present contract, then I should prepare for a year-by-year commitment. When I am ready to hit the field this year, wherever it may be, I plan on being better than ever and enjoying the ride."

big daddy russ
03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I like Daunte even more after reading that. Maybe I'll write him a letter. Maybe he'll invite me to one of his boat parties.