PDA

View Full Version : Clemens reportedly will retire ... for now

Maroon87
03-08-2006, 09:49 AM
FOXSports.com

Roger Clemens plans to retire after the conclusion of the World Baseball Classic, ending a brilliant career that spanned 22 seasons. But there is glitch, according to a USA Today report.

Clemens is essentially reserving the right to return to the game this summer.
"Right now, I don't see myself playing," Clemens told USA Today on Monday. "I'm not going to start the season with anyone. I made my mind up. And when I do shut it down, I'll be walking away with a smile on my face. There will be no regrets, because I feel like I've done it the right way."

Clemens will start for Team USA against South Africa on Friday. And he might get another start in the tournament.

After that, Clemens has indicated that his focus will shift more towards his sons' playing careers.

He also says that it is unlikely he will pitch again, but can't guarantee he will stay retired. The Houston Astros, Texas Rangers, New York Yankees, and Boston Red Sox are all interested in acquiring Clemens, who will turn 44 in August after pitching to a major-league best 1.87 ERA last season for the Astros.

"It's very flattering that teams still want me," Clemens said. "But hopefully I can just fade away. I'm going to watch my sons play. I'll see Koby (a third baseman in the Astros organization) play a little bit and get my other one (Kory) out of high school. I'll stay active. There are a lot of things I want to do."

But don't rule out a possible return to the mound this season.

"But the only thing is if I'm sitting in the stands in Boston, or New York, or somewhere in May, and get the itch again, who knows what will happen?"

Stay tuned.

CenTexSports
03-08-2006, 09:59 AM
A great pitcher and competitor but I hope he sticks to this decision. I remember vividly waching Willie Mays one saturday afternoon on TV and on a long base hit to the wall, he tossed the ball to his left fielder (only about 5' away) for him to throw it in to the infield. I really like it when great players retire with something left in the tank because it is so sad to see great athletes playing at minor league levels only because of their egos.

Jeff Bagwell is another example. He looks like a girl playing first base when he throws. (I know there are some pretty good throwing girls but you know what I mean). He should have the backbone to retire and go into coaching or something else.

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't want to sound bitter, but I'm not a huge Clemons fan. This latest story just sounds to me like he is trying to get the ante raised between all the teams seeking his services. I don't blame him for that, but don't say you are going to retire unless you are truly going to retire.

Additionaly, about 3 years ago, he gave a verbal committment to pitch for the Rangers, and signed with the Redsox. Can't take Roger's word on anything. Unless you up the antre, and then you aren't positive.

AggieJohn
03-08-2006, 11:45 AM
dear mj,

i like your style

sincerely,

roger clemens

SWMustang
03-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
I don't want to sound bitter, but I'm not a huge Clemons fan. This latest story just sounds to me like he is trying to get the ante raised between all the teams seeking his services. I don't blame him for that, but don't say you are going to retire unless you are truly going to retire.

Additionaly, about 3 years ago, he gave a verbal committment to pitch for the Rangers, and signed with the Redsox. Can't take Roger's word on anything. Unless you up the antre, and then you aren't positive.

I don't think Roger was pitching for the red sox 3 years ago.

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I don't think Roger was pitching for the red sox 3 years ago.

Well, whenever his last deal was. The Rangers were courting him and he gave every impression because it was Texas and it was "home" he was gonna sign with the Rangers.

I just don't like the guy.

JasperDog94
03-08-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't remember him EVER agreeing to play for the Rangers.

etbu
03-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Well, whenever his last deal was. The Rangers were courting him and he gave every impression because it was Texas and it was "home" he was gonna sign with the Rangers.

Can you blame him for not wanting to pitch for the Langers?:thinking:

SWMustang
03-08-2006, 01:25 PM

I bet if he agreed to pitch for the rangers next year you would have your Clemens jersey on at the game...

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I bet if he agreed to pitch for the rangers next year you would have your Clemens jersey on at the game...

You know, this is kind of scary. I thought the same thing!:D

Here's my deal with Clemons. I don't mind that he's a super star.

I don't mind if he pitches for the Astros (even though he folded like a cheap suit in the Big Show).

Heck, I don't even mind if he pitches for the hated and disgusting Yankees.

Just don't jerk my chain and SAY you are interested in Texas just to drive your own personal contract bidding up, and then leave town like a snake oil salesman. Now, if he were to pitch for the Rangers? Everything I just said would be moot.:D