PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball in SAN ANTONIO???

Gobbla2001
03-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Looks like some people wanna get some MLB in SA coming up in the next few years... Looking like they'd get the Florida Marlins organization in SA...

Your Thoughts???

I say they change the name of the team to the Volunteers and name the stadium "Sam Houston Stadium"...

Just to spark some Convo... looks like the Spurs organization would contribute largely to the building of a 300-million or so stadium for the team...

kepdawg
03-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I think that would be awesome!

Gobbla2001
03-07-2006, 09:27 PM
My favorite Texas City would have to be San Antonio, maybe it is because I spent a lot of time around there in my childhood, plus it's the closest major city to Cuero... but man, I'd still have to be a 'Stros fan... beside that and the fact that SA is pretty awesome as a one-sport town (Spurs, baby), I see it as a pretty cool thing...

sahen
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
jsut as long as u change ownership too (im assuming that is what'd happen, not just a move but someone from san antonio buy it)....the marlin's ownership is piss poor, anytime they have a good team they have a fire sell the next year....its pathetic and then they wonder y they cant get any fans....florida is already known for its fickle fans but when u have no idea whatsoever who is gonna be playing for u year from year then there is no reason to have any sense of loyalty to the team....anyways, it'd be good for baseball if san antonio took the marlin franchise in so that they could retain their talent and develop into a power, not just a one year bang followed by a couple bad years then another bang....

Chief Ohera
03-07-2006, 11:17 PM
no by no means do we need another baseball team in texas, no way, i am totally against it, leave them be in florida.
until next time...................

KTJ
03-07-2006, 11:27 PM
San Antonio is a great city.

With that said, it needs to start acting like a city. Get a freaking skyline!

AggieJohn
03-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
San Antonio is a great city.

With that said, it needs to start acting like a city. Get a freaking skyline! or better yet, nyc-style taxi's

whtfbplaya
03-07-2006, 11:31 PM
3 tx teams

j_dog
03-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
no by no means do we need another baseball team in texas, no way, i am totally against it, leave them be in florida.
until next time...................
Oh, but think of the rivalries that could develop, as we now have in basketball. :) San Antonio has come a long, long way in the past 20 years. Back then, it would have been ludicrous to even discuss this. But, now with actually some major corporations in town, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility. San Antonio now is HQ for the largest refining company in North America, and now has one of the worlds largest companyies in AT&T. It now also has the new Toyota truck plant coming on. SA is on the move, and I would love to see them pick up another major league team of some sort.

GetRDoneStangs
03-08-2006, 12:50 AM
:clap:
It would be a drive from West Texas...but we make it anyway?? GO SA get a team! :clap: :clap: :clap:

cdlvj
03-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by sahen
jsut as long as u change ownership too (im assuming that is what'd happen, not just a move but someone from san antonio buy it)....the marlin's ownership is piss poor, anytime they have a good team they have a fire sell the next year....its pathetic and then they wonder y they cant get any fans....florida is already known for its fickle fans but when u have no idea whatsoever who is gonna be playing for u year from year then there is no reason to have any sense of loyalty to the team....anyways, it'd be good for baseball if san antonio took the marlin franchise in so that they could retain their talent and develop into a power, not just a one year bang followed by a couple bad years then another bang....

From what I understand, the Spurs would be the owners of the team. May be wrong.

STANG RED
03-08-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm all for it for two reasons.

1. It's a great idea, and the city would benefit from it, and I believe most San Antonio citizens would support it. I think they would have a chance to be very successful.

2. And most importantly; the Cheif is against it. I figure, if you take the opposite stance from the Cheif on all issues, you will be right at least 99% of the time. I like those odds.

neck_06
03-08-2006, 08:57 AM
the marlins have been a consistently good franchise, and the fans in florida still don't come out to the ballpark, i think its time for a move.

3afan
03-08-2006, 09:04 AM
nothing will start to happen until SA has a stadium ...

Gobbla2001
03-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm all for it for two reasons.

2. And most importantly; the Cheif is against it. I figure, if you take the opposite stance from the Cheif on all issues, you will be right at least 99% of the time. I like those odds.

Very good logic... you get an A!!!

Gobbla2001
03-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
nothing will start to happen until SA has a stadium ...

You always have to deliver that spark of reality, don't you?:p

On a more serious note, from listening to the discussions about it on Ticket 760 (SA) yesterday, the money on the table for a stadium would be enough to get that ball rolling...

But would the citizens be willing to pay some extra taxes for it?

When the citizens voted to pay taxes toword the then SBC center, the Spurs had just won the NBA Championship... the city only voted 62% FOR it (good because it got done, bad sign because it was just after a Championship, and the city was most-likely still buzzed from the Championship which coulda meant a landslide FOR)...

underware
03-08-2006, 03:18 PM
I agree with Gobbla. SA is the best. I've been to Houston, Dallas..etc. But SA is still the "old" way. Cuero and Yoakum are near SA, but that just helps get to Pat O'briens sooner! WaHoo!

Highschoolfan78
03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I think if they should get a team the right field wall should be shaped like the Alamo. And they should shoot off a cannon for every homerun. Man i should design the stadium haha.