PDA

View Full Version : The end of Barry Bonds

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 04:09 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/barrybondsalone.jpg

So we just got back from lunch … what’d we miss?

The bombshell has officially dropped: Sports Illustrated says it has definitive proof that Barry Bonds used steroids. The story — we just finished it — is damning … to say the least. In case you don’t want to dig through the whole thing.

• In 2001: “Bonds was using two designer steroids referred to as the Cream and the Clear, as well as insulin, human growth hormone, testosterone decanoate (a fast-acting steroid known as Mexican beans) and trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle.”
• Bonds actually went off-cycle to take as many steroids as possible, injesting (or injecting) far before his regular schedule required him to.
• He started taking the higher-grade steroids because he was “jealous of Mark McGwire.”

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/03/06/news.excerpt/index.html

You know … there’s just too much here. And if you’re wary of their sourcing, don’t be. The documentation is exhaustive, to say the least. This is damning, damning, damning. James Frey-The Smoking Gun level damning.

Uh, this might stay in the news for a while. Stay tuned. And we’re never going to lunch again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/images/03/07/si_cover.jpg

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/pedrogomez.jpg

Let's Not Forget The Real Victim Here.

In all the rigmarole destined to take over the sports airwaves in the coming days, let’s not forget who will suffer the real ramifications of the definitive proof that Barry Bonds took steroids story: ESPN.

Specifically:

1. The producers of the ESPN Original Entertainment reality show. Needless to say, you’re not gonna see Bonds dressing up as Paula Abdul anytime soon.

2. Pedro Gomez. Honestly. This guy has done everything but live in Barry Bonds’ back pocket for the last three years; this guy didn’t have this story? What the heck has he been doing out there? The guy’s lone job for three years has been to follow Barry Bonds around. And all he’s gonna have to contribute to this story is a “Bonds had no comment to the press” on the 6 p.m. SportsCenter. Let’s just say we’d be surprised if he gets a raise.

Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’re going to see if we can get some of this “Mexican Beans” steroid we just read so much about. We thought you just get that at White Castle

whtfbplaya
03-07-2006, 05:39 PM
:thinking: :doh:

Maroon87
03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/pedrogomez.jpg

Let's Not Forget The Real Victim Here.

In all the rigmarole destined to take over the sports airwaves in the coming days, let’s not forget who will suffer the real ramifications of the definitive proof that Barry Bonds took steroids story: ESPN.

Specifically:

1. The producers of the ESPN Original Entertainment reality show. Needless to say, you’re not gonna see Bonds dressing up as Paula Abdul anytime soon.

2. Pedro Gomez. Honestly. This guy has done everything but live in Barry Bonds’ back pocket for the last three years; this guy didn’t have this story? What the heck has he been doing out there? The guy’s lone job for three years has been to follow Barry Bonds around. And all he’s gonna have to contribute to this story is a “Bonds had no comment to the press” on the 6 p.m. SportsCenter. Let’s just say we’d be surprised if he gets a raise.

Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’re going to see if we can get some of this “Mexican Beans” steroid we just read so much about. We thought you just get that at White Castle

Pedro Gomez is to Bonds what Ahmad Rashad was to Michael Jordan.

injuredinmelee
03-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy. I hope they shrink up, fall off, and his forehead expands so big it literally pops.

Pmoney
03-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I KNEW BARRY WAS A STEROID TAKIN LIAR :D

Chief Ohera
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
mr. bonds is the best all-around player that has ever stepped on the diamond, he was great with the pirates and even better with the giants, he most certainly will pass mr. aaron for the home run king..
not matter if he took steroids or if he didn't steroid will not make your hand eye coordination better, he will not help you HIT the ball, yes it will make the ball travel futher but it doesn't help his swing which is so short and compact that it will go down as one of the best all-time,
i feel sorry for mr. bonds everyone critizing every move he makes, the MEDIA has tarnished his legacy,
he is the greatest player that has ever lived in my opinion as well as Mr. Peter Gammons opinion who knows more baseball than anyone, i remember last year he said bonds is the best ever on one of the "baseball tonight" shows
the best ever no doubt,
until next time. your buddy the chief......................

Adidas410s
03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
i feel sorry for mr. bonds everyone critizing every move he makes, the MEDIA has tarnished his legacy,

I think I remember seeing photos of Ted Coppell injecting Barry with steroids and popping pills down his throat! :eek:

Pmoney
03-07-2006, 07:46 PM
mr. bonds is the best all-around player that has ever stepped on the diamond, he was great with the pirates and even better with the giants, he most certainly will pass mr. aaron for the home run king..
not matter if he took steroids or if he didn't steroid will not make your hand eye coordination better, he will not help you HIT the ball, yes it will make the ball travel futher but it doesn't help his swing which is so short and compact that it will go down as one of the best all-time,
he is the greatest player that has ever lived in my opinion as well as Mr. Peter Gammons opinion who knows more baseball than anyone, i remember last year he said bonds is the best ever on one of the "baseball tonight" shows
the best ever no doubt,

come on chief lets think about this best player ever to step on the diamond would be Ted Williams not Cheating Barry....and another thing taking steroids is CHEATING!....and i say he should get a life-time band just like Rose....

Until next time, your buddy that knows more than the chief....P-Money

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Mr. Bonds is the best all-around player that has ever stepped on the diamond, he was great with the pirates and even better with the giants, he most certainly will pass mr. aaron for the home run king..
the best ever no doubt,

(1) The reason Mr. Bonds is the best all-around player is because he took performance enhancing drugs.

And the performance enhancing drugs will make a double become a home run, a single into a triple, etc.

(2) People that violate the rules albeit, Major League Baseball, or robbing a 7-11 should be watched.

(3) Barry Bonds tarnished his own legacy. Why do you think the media had anything to do with his failure? Was the media at bat? Did the media take the drugs? Of course not.

Let me remind you Chief, rules and laws are there for a reason. Taking drugs to promote an unfair advantage over anyone else in your arena is not only unfair, illegal, but you take away from the great game of baseball. Now, I'll tell you like you tell us. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Highschoolfan78
03-07-2006, 07:56 PM
good riddance barry

Chief Ohera
03-07-2006, 08:17 PM
i personally don't think that taking steroids is just a bad thing, so many people do it, including athletes, every sport has athletes that take steroids.
gentleman let me tell you something. there are so many masking agents out there that player can use it just mind boggling, i mean anyone can get by with a masking agent and besides pro athletes have the money to afford them,
every sport is dirty not just baseball,
and by the way i don't know if Mr. Bonds took HGH "Human Growth Hormone" or not, HGH is federally regulated through the FDA, for certain causes, B/c "HGH" has a very short half life there is no screening procedure has it be able to detect it. so gentleman tell me how many athletes besides bonds that has taken this growth factor,
brothers i would listen to the chief on this one, i know what i am talking about on this subject,

When Ben Johnson was caught for using anabolic steriods, a reporter asked his coach "charlie Francis" if he thought it was cheating, andFrancis said this
" I don't call it cheating, my definition of cheating is doing something nobody else is doing"

Steroids is not a bad thing at all
until next time.......

Txbroadcaster
03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Until I see HARD proof such as a failed test, I will not say 100% Bonds did Roids. Just because a book says it does not make it correct.

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Until I see HARD proof such as a failed test, I will not say 100% Bonds did Roids. Just because a book says it does not make it correct.

That's certainly your perogative. I gave you the resource for the truth. I also heard the Sports Illistrated author on ESPN. It's all pretty compelling. Of course, Mr. Bonds chose not to refute the charge.

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 08:42 PM
i personally don't think that taking steroids is just a bad thing, so many people do it, including athletes, every sport has athletes that take steroids.

http://www.geocities.com/bigcory94533/Alzado71698.jpg

Alzado, Lyle Martin b. 1949. d. 1992.
Football player. He played for the Denver Broncos, Cleveland Browns and the LA Raiders. Lyle, a true defensive standout for the Broncos, was the first Yankton College (South Dakota) player ever drafted by the NFL and was a two-time all conference pick. From those humble beginnings, his combination of quickness and strength, provided Lyle with the pass-rushing skills to start with the Broncos in 1971.

His 4.75 40-yard dash time, coupled with his tremendous strength - Lyle once had 27 wins as an amateur boxer - ranked Lyle as one of pro football's top pass rushers. His status as a premier defensive lineman was also enhanced by his versatility - he played both end and tackle in the front four with All-pro status. Lyle Alzado was 42 when he died of brain cancer.

An American football SuperBowl hero with the Los Angeles Raiders in the 1984, Alzado owned a restaurant in West Hollywood and had embarked on a career as a movie actor when he died in 1992 after going public. "I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped," he admitted during his pain-racked final days. "It was addicting, mentally addicting. Now I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety per cent of the athletes I know are on the stuff. We're not born to be 300lbs or jump 30ft. But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off it. I did things only crazy people do. Once a guy sideswiped my car and I beat the hell out of him. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk and have to hold on to someone for support, and I have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way."
Riverview Cemetery, Portland, Oregon, USA.
Cause of Death: Brain cancer brought on by excessive steroid use.

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2006, 08:44 PM
gentleman let me tell you something. there are so many masking agents out there that player can use it just mind boggling, i mean anyone can get by with a masking agent and besides pro athletes have the money to afford them,
every sport is dirty not just baseball,
and by the way i don't know if Mr. Bonds took HGH "Human Growth Hormone" or not, HGH is federally regulated through the FDA, for certain causes, B/c "HGH" has a very short half life there is no screening procedure has it be able to detect it. so gentleman tell me how many athletes besides bonds that has taken this growth factor,
brothers i would listen to the chief on this one, i know what i am talking about on this subject,

When Ben Johnson was caught for using anabolic steriods, a reporter asked his coach "charlie Francis" if he thought it was cheating, andFrancis said this
" I don't call it cheating, my definition of cheating is doing something nobody else is doing"

Steroids is not a bad thing at all
until next time.......
You ARE kidding me, right? :doh: I normally try to ignore some of the bizarre theories (in my opinion) that you have, but I can't let this one go. I don't know that he took ANY type of steroids, but to say they're not a bad thing is just pure bunk. People drive under the influence, but that doesn't make it legal nor right. If steroids were "healthy", they wouldn't be a banned substance.

eagles_victory
03-07-2006, 08:47 PM
i am so sick of hearing about Barry Bonds.

Chris Hart
03-07-2006, 08:51 PM
I don't condone steroid use by no means, but who's to say that the all time greats of yester year didn't use performance enhancing drugs as well? I don't know if they did or didn't, but neither does anyone else. I wonder if there are some Hall of Famers that are saying "I'm glad we did our thing before all this steroid usage stuff came along, or we might not be here". It's very possible....:thinking:

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i am so sick of hearing about Barry Bonds.

I agree, but I think it's just the beginning. I feel certain his playing days are over.

There will be endless talk about the whys and such on steroid use. It's sad that there are people who don't see the danger in this drug.

STANG RED
03-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Chief, once again, your level of ignorance is eclipsed only by your abundance of shear stupidity. How can you possibly be an athlete, and yet be so uninformed about steroids. There is a mind boggling amount of information at your easy disposal that will totally refute all of your misconceptions about the use of steroids. You would be wise to get your hands on some of it, and heed the warnings.
Bonds is simply a cheater, and should be treated as such. Maybe this goes a long way in explaining his perpetual bad mood and attitude.

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 09:01 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-05/0605hooton.jpg
Since Taylor Hooton committed suicide in 2003, his father, Don, has spoken nationwide about the dangers of steroids.

Please, please........if you want to read a compelling story read this.

A life undone by

doping. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2005/steroids/stories/060505dnproplanoone.112a878e1.html)

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
I don't condone steroid use by no means, but who's to say that the all time greats of yester year didn't use performance enhancing drugs as well? I don't know if they did or didn't, but neither does anyone else. I wonder if there are some Hall of Famers that are saying "I'm glad we did our thing before all this steroid usage stuff came along, or we might not be here". It's very possible....:thinking:
You've got a good point. That's one of the things that we won't know. It's possible if the dangers had been known then, the likelihood would definitely be less.

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I wonder if there are some Hall of Famers that are saying "I'm glad we did our thing before all this steroid usage stuff came along, or we might not be here". It's very possible..

If someone chooses to be in the HOF as opposed to living longer, then I guess that's their trade-off. I would rather live longer.

STANG RED
03-07-2006, 09:29 PM

I see what you are saying, but I dont think it is very likely for the most part. Look at the bodies on these guys today, compared to those guys.
Ted Williams for instance, was just an average size man. Go look at some pictures of Hank Aaron. He isnt any where near the size of Bonds.

Steer Fever
03-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Let me go on the record and say that Barry Bonds will not break aarons record. You want to know why? He said he is going to retire at the end of the season, and he is doing this b/c he can pass a white guys record by cheating yet he will not pass the a guy of his on colors record by cheating because he knows there will be an * by the record and he know he was wrong. Lets see what chief has to say about that.

I dont mean to be racist at all i am just stating my op. Mods dont rom me or anything im not being racist at all

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Steer Fever
Let me go on the record and say that Barry Bonds will not break aarons record. You want to know why? He said he is going to retire at the end of the season, and he is doing this b/c he can pass a white guys record by cheating yet he will not pass the a guy of his on colors record by cheating because he knows there will be an * by the record and he know he was wrong. Lets see what chief has to say about that.

I dont mean to be racist at all i am just stating my op. Mods dont rom me or anything im not being racist at all

OK, are you suggesting that Bonds is going to retire so he doesn't pass Aaron's record?

Kensington
03-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I loved barry when he was a 40-40 man and could play the outfield great, but ever since his obvious roid taking i have given him the same respect as Jose Canseco, and believe me thats not very high.....

About Ted Williams being the best ever, I personally believe that he was, but todays players are much more advanced, so it would be hard to tell unless he played in our time.

bulldogbark
03-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey chief no hara if you had a son or daughter would you want them to take steriods? I just cant see how you could be an a sports person and say steriods are ok....did you take them to enhance your performance? just wondering the way you talk:thinking:

on the bright side that was 700 whooo whoooo

Chief Ohera
03-07-2006, 11:16 PM
seriously my good brothers, some people condone steriods and some don't, well, i do condone them, that is my right and it has been my whole life, when i have children i might give them steriods and i might not, but i wouldn't tell them no b/c that is my right,
i believe that steroids makes an average athlete a great athlete, the thing is, people today use steriods by not knowing their full effects and don't use them correctly, they don't train right they don't left weights correctly they simply "ABUSE" them.
if athletes use them correctly i have no problem with that, it's there choice and by no means do i call it cheating,
b/c like i quoted earlier, when in my opinion the best track "sprinting" coach Charlie Francis said that he doesn't believe steroids is cheating, b/c Francis believes that cheating is doing something else that noone else is doing,
so i believe Francis and Ben Johnson,
to me steroids are fine if used
"CORRECTLY"
until next time..........

Fish's mom
03-07-2006, 11:39 PM
And who decides what the correct ways to use them are. Give me a break, And you'd be crazy to give steriods to anyone especially a teenager, who doesn't even know what proper is, they go on what they hear and believe a majority of their freinds. And if this is true about Barry Bonds, and I believe it is along with alot of other athletes then I don't believe I want my teenagers thinking this is COOL and SAFE. I'm sorry but I believe you play naturallly or not at all, it's called leveling the competition. I also believe that bulking up can be done safely without steriods and over time. You just have to have the will and patience.

Chief Ohera
03-07-2006, 11:48 PM
if you have the proper nutritionists and and health experts that know the ends and outs on the steroids then why not give them to the youth, if they want them and use them correctly the go for it, but i am totally against the abuse of steriods which in society today' happens more often than not,
i believe bonds, he is innocent until proven guilty, a book cannot justify the means and doesn't always portray the correct truth,
your brother, the chief
until next time..............

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 07:24 AM
I have to bring this to the top. Too early to comment yet....

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Anabolic-androgenic steroids are man-made substances related to male sex hormones. “Anabolic” refers to muscle-building, and “androgenic” refers to increased masculine characteristics. “Steroids” refers to the class of drugs. These drugs are available legally only by prescription, to treat conditions that occur when the body produces abnormally low amounts of testosterone, such as delayed puberty and some types of impotence. They are also prescribed to treat body wasting in patients with AIDS and other diseases that result in loss of lean muscle mass. Abuse of anabolic steroids, however, can lead to serious health problems, some irreversible.

Today, athletes and others abuse anabolic steroids to enhance performance and also to improve physical appearance. Anabolic steroids are taken orally or injected, typically in cycles of weeks or months (referred to as “cycling”), rather than continuously. Cycling involves taking multiple doses of steroids over a specific period of time, stopping for a period, and starting again. In addition, users often combine several different types of steroids to maximize their effectiveness while minimizing negative effects (referred to as “stacking”).

Health Hazards
The major side effects from abusing anabolic steroids can include liver tumors and cancer, jaundice (yellowish pigmentation of skin, tissues, and body fluids), fluid retention, high blood pressure, increases in LDL (bad cholesterol), and decreases in HDL (good cholesterol). Other side effects include kidney tumors, severe acne, and trembling. In addition, there are some gender-specific side effects:
For men — shrinking of the testicles, reduced sperm count, infertility, baldness, development of breasts, increased risk for prostate cancer.

For women — growth of facial hair, male-pattern baldness, changes in or cessation of the menstrual cycle, enlargement of the clitoris, deepened voice.

For adolescents — growth halted prematurely through premature skeletal maturation and accelerated puberty changes. This means that adolescents risk remaining short for the remainder of their lives if they take anabolic steroids before the typical adolescent growth spurt.

In addition, people who inject anabolic steroids run the added risk of contracting or transmitting HIV/AIDS or hepatitis, which causes serious damage to the liver.

Scientific research also shows that aggression and other psychiatric side effects may result from abuse of anabolic steroids. Many users report feeling good about themselves while on anabolic steroids, but researchers report that extreme mood swings also can occur, including manic-like symptoms leading to violence. Depression often is seen when the drugs are stopped and may contribute to dependence on anabolic steroids. Researchers report also that users may suffer from paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment stemming from feelings of invincibility. 1

Research also indicates that some users might turn to other drugs to alleviate some of the negative effects of anabolic steroids. For example, a study of 227 men admitted in 1999 to a private treatment center for dependence on heroin or other opioids found that 9.3 percent had abused anabolic steroids before trying any other illicit drug. Of these 9.3 percent, 86 percent first used opioids to counteract insomnia and irritability resulting from the anabolic steroids.2

Extent of Use
Monitoring the Future (MTF) Survey *
MTF annually assesses drug use among the Nation’s 8th, 10th, and 12th grade students. Annual** use of anabolic steroids remained stable at under 1.5 percent for students in 8th, 10th, and 12th grades in the early 1990s, then started to rise. Peak rates of annual use occurred in 2002 for 12th-graders (2.5 percent), in 2000 and 2002 for 10th-graders (2.2 percent), and in 1999 and 2000 for 8th-graders (1.7 percent). Eigth-graders reported significant decreases in lifetime and annual steroid use in 2004, as well as a decrease in perceived availability of these drugs. A significant decrease in lifetime use was also measured among 10th-graders for 2004.

Most anabolic steroids users are male, and among male students, past year use of these substances was reported by 1.3 percent of 8th-graders, 2.3 percent of 10th-graders, and 3.3 percent of 12th-graders in 2004.

Anabolic Steroid Use by Students
Year 2004 Monitoring the Future Survey

8th-Graders 10th-Graders 12th-Graders
Lifetime 1.9% 2.4% 3.4%
Annual 1.1 1.5 2.5
30-day 0.5 0.8 1.6

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/Steroids.html

http://www.aap.org/family/steroids.htm

http://www.steroidabuse.org/

http://www.steroidabuse.org/images/girlsteroid.gif

spiveyrat
03-08-2006, 08:06 AM

AggieJohn
03-08-2006, 09:03 AM
if he beat grand jury testimony over this, then he will beat these two "beat" reporters accounts...i think this is much ado about nothing

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 09:25 AM
John,
I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you. I think this is finally the straw that breaks the camel's back. And rightfully so.

mrescape43
03-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Babe Ruth used performance enhancing products!!!

Beer, Hot dogs and Cigars.

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Babe Ruth used performance enhancing products!!!

Beer, Hot dogs and Cigars.

I don't think those products enhanced his batting average. :D

mrescape43
03-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
I don't think those products enhanced his batting average. :D

Nor do I, just being sarcastic. :D :D

3afan
03-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Barry needs to just walk away .....

He'll probably come up with another "knee problem" that will force him to retire soon

mrescape43
03-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

He'll probably come up with another "knee problem" that will force him to retire soon

I agree!

JasperDog94
03-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

He'll probably come up with another "knee problem" that will force him to retire soon I got a cousin named Tony that could "help" him with that knee problem.:eek: :eek: :devil:

Phil C
03-08-2006, 11:04 AM
The thing is that hasn't he been tested in the past and come up clean? This sounds like someone trying to make money. Marian Jones the great track star has been under the same pressure as has Lance Armstrong but both have been tested over and over again and have come up clean. Good grief!
Ben Johnson was tested and was caught using it. That is the difference. Barry has never tested positive. I think he ought to see a good lawyer.