PDA

View Full Version : Worth the weight

NateDawg39
03-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Sherman breaks records, now she wants another state title

Published Sunday, March 5, 2006

By Robert Morgan

Krystal Sherman did not know what to expect last year. The petite Decatur High School athlete competed in powerlifting for the first time and accomplished what most competitors only dream about – winning a state championship.

The Lady Eagle made her intentions this season clear Saturday in Leonard – and she made them loud and clear.

Sherman broke two regional competition records in the 105.5-pound division en route to easily winning the title for the second-straight year.

“I have some goals I want to accomplish this year, and getting the records at regionals were some of them. I knew I had a shot at them,” she said. “I felt pretty good. I am close to where I am to be, but not quite. Hopefully I am there in two weeks.”

Sherman broke the regional records in squat and deadlift. She lifted 275 pounds in the squat and had a 285 deadlift – beating the old marks by 10 pounds.

The DHS senior also pumped 135 pounds in the bench press, which secured her first-place finish with 695 pounds – 40 pounds better then the next competitor.

As for the last meet of her career – the Class 3A state championship – Sherman has plans.

She will seek her second state title on Saturday, March 18, at the Killeen Convention Center and she also wants to break a record along the way.

The state mark for her age group is 715 total pounds. Sherman lifted 670 last year in winning the state championship, but she has already increased her personal best by 25 pounds and is just 20 pounds shy of the current state record after the regional performance last weekend.

“I have a good chance to get it. I am going for 720 pounds,” said Sherman. “I want to win it all, and I want a record to go with it.”

NateDawg39
03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Go little Sherman!!:clap:

Whsdogs
03-07-2006, 01:55 PM
wow...now that is impressive for such a small girl..or any girl of that matter

neck_06
03-07-2006, 01:56 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: