PDA

View Full Version : Pat Green, Kevin Fowler and Randy Rogers Band...

Gobbla2001
03-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Heard they were playing in CC not too far from now and wanted to know who you'd rather see live?

I'm voting RRB, post me reasons later...

All you other Texas Music fans throw in your opinions...

big daddy russ
03-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Pat's fallen off the wagon. Rogers is good, but I still like Fowler better live.

Gobbla2001
03-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Pat's fallen off the wagon. Rogers is good, but I still like Fowler better live.

Fowler is good live... I like him live more than on the radio, can hardly stand him on the radio sometimes...

Randy Rogers was great live when I saw him... wish it would have been a smaller place... woulda made for a greater atmosphere...

Love Pat's old chit, just love it... but seeing him live now would mean seeing his NOW music live... But I still think he may have helped bring fans into the light that us Texas Music fans call, well, Texas Music... people hear his new stuff and then go out to buy his old stuff and are as turned on as hell... gotta give the man his props...

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I will explain later...but right now it's all about the RRB!!! :D

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 10:23 PM
oh...and everybody should check out Wade Bowen's new album "Lost Hotel." I just picked it up and it has yet to leave my player...GREAT stuff!!!

kaorder1999
03-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I wouldnt consider Pat Green as a Texas Country guy anymore!!! HEHE He's a Nashville guy now!!

RMAC
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Out of all of them I'd have to say that I like RRB live the best. I saw them this summer on the 4th down at Possum Kingdom and it was a great show.

GreenMonster
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Heard they were playing in CC not too far from now and wanted to know who you'd rather see live?

I'm voting RRB, post me reasons later...

All you other Texas Music fans throw in your opinions...

Old School Pat Green. I was living the life he was singing about. Never put any Lone Star in my cereal but I've used it Ramen a couple of times when we spent the water bill money on beer and pizza. Ahhhhhhhhhh the glory days of livin' with your boys and going to just enough classes not to get kicked out.

Chief Ohera
03-06-2006, 10:55 PM
fowler, i love this cat, great to drink a cold beer to, and throws one heck of a concert,
until next time.......................

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
fowler, i love this cat, great to drink a cold beer to, and throws one heck of a concert,
until next time.......................

Fowler blows...i've never got into his music. It's just whiny, hickish crap. I think he may have the 2nd worst voice in the in the industry after REK

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I wouldnt consider Pat Green as a Texas Country guy anymore!!! HEHE He's a Nashville guy now!!

Oh really??? Feel free to enlighten us on what is exactly "Nashville" about him.

mistanice
03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Pat green, RRB, and Django Walker will be in Nacogdoches, at the expo center on march 31st. Pat played there last August 2004. Should be another great show. RRB was there in early Feb. along with Dierks bently.

RMAC
03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
When all your videos start showing up on CMT's top twenty countdown, that might be a SLIGHT indication since less than 3 years ago the only people who knew about him were from Texas and Oklahoma. Same thing w/ Cross, they just got big. I don't blame 'em, I'd probably taken the money too. It's just that they're not totally 100% Texas Country anymore is all.

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
When all your videos start showing up on CMT's top twenty countdown, that might be a SLIGHT indication since less than 3 years ago the only people who knew about him were from Texas and Oklahoma. Same thing w/ Cross, they just got big. I don't blame 'em, I'd probably taken the money too. It's just that they're not totally 100% Texas Country anymore is all.

Pat had one video (Wave on Wave) that ever got any significant play on CMT...it reached #1 on the countdown. Baby Doll was the other video and it was on the countdown for maybe 2 or 3 weeks but didn't get above #15 or so. Try harder fatty...

DaRaiderz
03-07-2006, 12:01 AM
If you had a time machine and could go back 8 years and watch Pat, he put on one of the best shows around. Hes far too old, mature and mainstream now. You younger guys cannot imagine the shows he used to put on in the day. Since we don't have a time machine, go see Randy. He's fun to watch

big daddy russ
03-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Oh really??? Feel free to enlighten us on what is exactly "Nashville" about him.
He's sucked ever since the Wave on Wave album. I can pinpoint three things I dislike about his music nowadays:

1. In his old albums 90% of his songs at least mentioned Texas. In the last two, maybe 10% of them do. I like my Texas artists to at least mention the state.... or even just the lifestyle.... from which they came.

2. Sure, he's evolving as a songwriter. But he's evolving away from his "roots" and into more commercial stuff. Bruce Robison, Billy Joe Shaver, and Guy Clark are three of the best songwriters in the business, but they never left their own sound to do something more appealing to more people. Even rock 'n roll and R&B-types recognize them as absolutely great songwriters. They're still considered purely "Texas," yet they've all evolved tremendously over the last few decades (well, the past decade for Robison) and still have a very loyal following in both Texas AND Nashville. Robison's even had three or four number one hits in the past four years.

Green, meanwhile, has polarized the "old school" Texas Country purists (like myself) completely away from his style.

Think of him as the guy that introduced the designated hitter rule into Texas Country. It CAN still be considered baseball, but it's definitely not baseball in it's purist form.

3. The day he told Casey (the old manager at the Executive Surf Club) to go **(pick daises)** off because they couldn't afford him anymore was the last straw. That was the day I decided I couldn't afford his CD's or concert tickets anymore.

For anyone not living in the CC area or who hasn't heard of the Surf Club, they've always done a lot to push local artists to the forefront. All Casey wanted was one last show from Green, that he'd charge the standard $15 to get in. Patty boy forgot where he came from real quick when Concrete Street came in and wanted to book him on the same day.

A little history lesson: that was the concert that became the first of Pat Green's annual Spring Break Bash down in Corpus. That's what this thread is about.

So while Pat is laughing all the way to the bank, I'm saving money that would've otherwise been spent on his CD's.

I can tell you one thing, though. There hasn't been a single Texas Country artist that's drawn as much attention to the genre, both positive and negative, as Patty boy has. But at the same time he's drawing further and further away from Texas as a whole in a way that Bruce Springsteen (NY) or Bon Jovi (NJ) never did.

I have no problems with the guy making money. I was happy for him when he latched on with Universal. Then I realized that it was a downhill spiral.

To conclude my little rant, I couldn't have put it better than my brother's best friend, Trey Turnbough, this summer at Garner State Park...

"You can't make Texas Country when you're living in New York City."

Reminds me of the old Pace commercials where some old, grizzled cowboy finishes with, "Get a rope."

**Edited for the children on the board.

big daddy russ
03-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by DaRaiderz
If you had a time machine and could go back 8 years and watch Pat, he put on one of the best shows around. Hes far too old, mature and mainstream now. You younger guys cannot imagine the shows he used to put on in the day. Since we don't have a time machine, go see Randy. He's fun to watch
Randy's great, but I think the best example of what Pat Green used to be is Roger Creager. That guy is awesome live. If you ever get to see him at the Surf Club or at Schroeder, those are two of his favorite venues and probably the two that I've enjoyed watching him at the most.

smustangs
03-07-2006, 01:19 AM
saw randy rogers this past weekend here in stephenville puts on a good show

Adidas410s
03-07-2006, 01:19 AM
He's sucked ever since the Wave on Wave album. I can pinpoint three things I dislike about his music nowadays:

1. In his old albums 90% of his songs at least mentioned Texas. In the last two, maybe 10% of them do. I like my Texas artists to at least mention the state.... or even just the lifestyle.... from which they came.

So pretty much you are stuck listening to Kevin Fowler??? Randy Rogers...Wade Bowen...Cross Canadian...how many of their songs say anything about Texas at all?

- On Randy's last album Rollercoaster, the answer would be ONE with "They Call It The Hill Country" and that's a song he didn't even write.
- CCR...they are from Oklahoma and were adopted by Texas but no they don't sing about Texas.
- I am listening to Wade's new album as I write this and nowhere does it reference Texas.
- Creager...well good luck finding Texas in more than 2 or 3 songs and it is typically a reference to the mexican/spanish heritage of South Texas.
- Jack Ingram...guess he sold out too because he had a "catchy song" get into the top 30 on the charts and he doesn't sing about Texas in his music either. Heck he was even on CMT playing with Toby Keith.
- Billy Joe Shaver was on the same show so don't try and even lump in the work that he is doing as not having "sold out." He even has a video on CMT now and I have never seen him look more uncomfortable or out of place than shooting a music video.

- Heck even your beloved Kevin Fowler doesn't write "songs about Texas" anymore.

Try this out...NOBODY TALKS ABOUT TEXAS IN THEIR SONGS ANYMORE!!! Why is that? Maybe because every possible idea has been written about that could fit into a song and ALL of these guys are evolving as song writers and EVERYBODY is writing about songs that actually have some real-life application and substance to the songs. Randy Rogers' music helped get me (and a lot of others) through a lot of rough times the past few years. The same can be said with some of Wade, Pat, Jack, and Roger's music. As the songwriters get older and have progressed with their comprehension of "what exactly life is"...so has their writing. Every guy out there is writing stuff that is increasingly more personal to them. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that they have sold out...it just means they chose to grow up beyond their college years and CONTINUE to write music that is applicable to what is going on in their life.

Your frustration here Russ is that the Texas music scene passed you by and you are stuck in what was 5 years ago and haven't moved along with it.

I'll come back later and pick apart your other points...I'm tired for now and have to get up early.

Adidas410s
03-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by smustangs
saw randy rogers this past weekend here in stephenville puts on a good show

I really wanted to make that show but had spent all day in DFW finding an apartment and didn't feel like going by the drunk tank that is City Limits to see the RRB rock the house!

Maroon87
03-07-2006, 02:10 AM

2. Sure, he's evolving as a songwriter. But he's evolving away from his "roots" and into more commercial stuff. Bruce Robison, Billy Joe Shaver, and Guy Clark are three of the best songwriters in the business, but they never left their own sound to do something more appealing to more people. Even rock 'n roll and R&B-types recognize them as absolutely great songwriters. They're still considered purely "Texas," yet they've all evolved tremendously over the last few decades (well, the past decade for Robison) and still have a very loyal following in both Texas AND Nashville. Robison's even had three or four number one hits in the past four years.

Green, meanwhile, has polarized the "old school" Texas Country purists (like myself) completely away from his style.

Think of him as the guy that introduced the designated hitter rule into Texas Country. It CAN still be considered baseball, but it's definitely not baseball in it's purist form.

3. The day he told Casey (the old manager at the Executive Surf Club) to go **(pick daises)** off because they couldn't afford him anymore was the last straw. That was the day I decided I couldn't afford his CD's or concert tickets anymore.

For anyone not living in the CC area or who hasn't heard of the Surf Club, they've always done a lot to push local artists to the forefront. All Casey wanted was one last show from Green, that he'd charge the standard $15 to get in. Patty boy forgot where he came from real quick when Concrete Street came in and wanted to book him on the same day.

A little history lesson: that was the concert that became the first of Pat Green's annual Spring Break Bash down in Corpus. That's what this thread is about.

So while Pat is laughing all the way to the bank, I'm saving money that would've otherwise been spent on his CD's.

I can tell you one thing, though. There hasn't been a single Texas Country artist that's drawn as much attention to the genre, both positive and negative, as Patty boy has. But at the same time he's drawing further and further away from Texas as a whole in a way that Bruce Springsteen (NY) or Bon Jovi (NJ) never did.

I have no problems with the guy making money. I was happy for him when he latched on with Universal. Then I realized that it was a downhill spiral.

To conclude my little rant, I couldn't have put it better than my brother's best friend, Trey Turnbough, this summer at Garner State Park...

"You can't make Texas Country when you're living in New York City."

Reminds me of the old Pace commercials where some old, grizzled cowboy finishes with, "Get a rope."

**Edited for the children on the board.

I remember when Pat was at the Surf Club dang near every other weekend. Those were good days...on a related note, I just got back from seeing Cross Canadian Ragweed and Robert Earl Keen at the Rodeo...and in addition to that I got to hang out with Porter Howell of Little Texas for a few minutes. It was a good night...:cool:

District303aPastPlayer
03-07-2006, 02:17 AM
i always remember my friends goin to the executive to hear pat green... now... none of em like him. . .

piratebg
03-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Who the heck is Pat Green?

big daddy russ
03-07-2006, 02:20 AM
So pretty much you are stuck listening to Kevin Fowler??? Randy Rogers...Wade Bowen...Cross Canadian...how many of their songs say anything about Texas at all?
If they never started out mentioning Texas, they have no obligation to keep doing so. The point is that he's doing a more "commercial" thing to try to appeal to everyone, whether they're in New York City or Tokyo. One of the qualities that you'll find in "real" Texas artists is that they reflect the individualism you find here in Texas. They're fiercely independent. Green's music has become the opposite of that.

- Jack Ingram...guess he sold out too because he had a "catchy song" get into the top 30 on the charts and he doesn't sing about Texas in his music either. Heck he was even on CMT playing with Toby Keith.
- Billy Joe Shaver was on the same show so don't try and even lump in the work that he is doing as not having "sold out." He even has a video on CMT now and I have never seen him look more uncomfortable or out of place than shooting a music video.
I never said that they were sellouts for being on CMT. Find that quote and I'll drive to Abilene and give you a lap dance here and now. I'll even put tassles on my nipples and call you big daddy.

I gave Bruce Robison props for having a few number ones. His brother Charlie was the frontrunner to all the Texas guys getting airplay on CMT. He's also always been one of my favorite artists. "My Hometown" was getting airplay back when the Twin Towers were still standing.

Jack Ingram's still a great musician and he's still very involved in the Texas scene, as is Shaver. Shaver's getting up there in years, though, and probably won't be with us much longer.

- Heck even your beloved Kevin Fowler doesn't write "songs about Texas" anymore.
I enjoy Kevin Fowler as much as I enjoy anyone, but I wouldn't call him "my boy." He puts on a great show and I'll go watch him play anytime the chance and the money present themselves simultaneously, but he never really talked a whole lot about Texas in the first place. He's always been straight up redneck.

If you want a list of "my boys," here you go:
-Charlie Robison
-Bruce Robison
-Max Stalling
-Owen Temple
-Aaron Watson
-Jerry Jeff Walker
-Lyle Lovett
-Billy Joe Shaver
-Guy Clark
-Adam Carroll
-Asleep at the Wheel
-Roger Creager
-Corey Morrow
-Gary P. Nunn
-Joe Ely

You're welcome to pick that list apart as you like.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that they have sold out...
You're right. But listen to PG's CD's before and after he signed up with Universal and tell me there wasn't a sudden change.

Before:
Dancehall Dreamer
George's Bar
Carry On
All the live albums

After:
Wave on Wave
Lucky Ones

If it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, and barks like a dog....

..it just means they chose to grow up beyond their college years and CONTINUE to write music that is applicable to what is going on in their life.
The lifestyle aspect doesn't have to involve drinking, roadtrips, and sorority girls. If that's your entire perception of Texas Music, then you have a very limited view of the genre and the artists that it encompasses.

Clark, Shaver, and JJW aren't exactly spring chickens.

Your frustration here Russ is that the Texas music scene passed you by and you are stuck in what was 5 years ago and haven't moved along with it.

It sounds like you're trying to paint this picture of me just being disgusted with the Texas landscape in general. It's not Texas Music I'm disappointed with. It's Pat Green alone.

Supertilley
03-07-2006, 08:06 AM
I saw Cory Morrow just two weeks ago. Man he put on a great show and drank beers with us after.

And If you ever get a chance, see Jason Boland. He has some great texas songs and his band just flat out rocks.

Jack Ingram was good about a year ago, but since he sigined with toby keith I am not to sure if he is still texas pride.

pirate44
03-07-2006, 08:49 AM
i've been to the PG Spring break concert the last 3 years and had a great time each year. PG puts on a great energetic show. i dont know what you guys are saying. big deal if every song doesnt mention Texas. just kick back and enjoy the music. :rolleyes:

Adidas410s
03-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ If they never started out mentioning Texas, they have no obligation to keep doing so.

Since when has any artist been obligated to mention Texas in their music? That is news to me...

Originally posted by big daddy russ You're right. But listen to PG's CD's before and after he signed up with Universal and tell me there wasn't a sudden change.

Before:
Dancehall Dreamer
George's Bar
Carry On
All the live albums

After:
Wave on Wave
Lucky Ones

If it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, and barks like a dog....

You forgot to include his "best overall" album...Three Days. Go take a look and you will find that he was already with a label on that album and that is the album that included Carry On, Dancehall, 3Days, Texas On My Mind, and SB35.
You say, "well if it looks like it's a sellout or my friends tell me it's a sellout...then it must be right???" Wait...if you actually did a little bit of research you would find out that a) Pat is still writing all his songs (with the exception of his continuing to include a Radney Foster and/or a Walt Wilkins song on every album), b) he is still recording his albums in Texas (stop by Willie's Pendernales Studio and you will find PG and the boys there working on their latest album) and c) that nobody is telling Pat what to sing or do and turned him into a "Nashville puppet." Here are a few quotes from Pat before he released his last album that explains where he is in life and WHY he writes what he does:

- "To me, the only way songwriting works is if you write the truth.
It's the only way it works, period.
Where I'm going as a writer, what I'm looking for is an expansion of the truth, finding out more truth - especially about me.
It's easier to write about me, because I know where I am.
As a younger man, it was easy to get to my truth:
I was a simple man, having fun. As you get older it gets more complicated - but it's also about opening up a lot more places.
After all, that's where the deeper truth resides."

- "I try to write what's next," says the aw shucks everyman poet. "I'll never stop where the evolution is taking me... It's a waste of time to try to write what isn't there. I think a lot of people can relate to how hard it is to be in love with someone and to maintain being in love. Life is an interesting dilemna: I step off the curb and get caught up in my own humanity. That's where the songs come from."

- "Well, there's a huge difference between a deep song and on that's got a great big sing along chorus," the maker of "handmade records" concedes. "Deep songs are way more fun to write because you have to think about 'em, but they're not as much fun to perform or for the audience... and that IS part of it, you know!

"I'm a simple guy who understands what's going on, but doesn't have to prove it. I don't know why, but I just go with whatever. I'm completely fine to be whatever this is in any given moment - including a total dork. You know, you don't have to be the guy in the magazine... that's just a picture. It's two-dimensional - and real life has a lot more dimensions than that.

"You know Kinky Friedman wrote this thing about me in Texas Monthly , which was weird in its own way, but the last line of the article really hit me. It said that I'd figured out how to have fun with life without having to figure it out."

If you care to read the entire article (and I'm assuming you aren't part of the PG fan club) PG recently started a myspace site:Pat Green's MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/patgreen) and the article is on the home page.

Originally posted by big daddy russ It sounds like you're trying to paint this picture of me just being disgusted with the Texas landscape in general. It's not Texas Music I'm disappointed with. It's Pat Green alone.

So you are saying that you are being hypocritical towards where Pat Green is going but won't turn a negative eye towards all of the other artists that are part of the "current" Texas music scene that are writing the same way that PG is and travelling outside of the state to grow the scope of their music.

If I didn't have to start working right now I would dive into your thinking that "Pat has forgotten his roots" comment and give you NUMEROUS examples of exactly the opposite of the one isolated incident that you are alluding to. I'll save that for another day...

Stretch04
03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Had the Opportunity to see RRB and Kevin Fowler together back in the fall great time had by all and much cerveza consumed.

pirate44
03-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Stretch04
Had the Opportunity to see RRB and Kevin Fowler together back in the fall great time had by all and much cerveza consumed.
you gonna be at concrete street on the 18th?

big daddy russ
03-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Since when has any artist been obligated to mention Texas in their music? That is news to me...

No obligation to mention Texas, just keep your roots in mind when you're writing your lyrics.

You forgot to include his "best overall" album...Three Days. Go take a look and you will find that he was already with a label on that album and that is the album that included Carry On, Dancehall, 3Days, Texas On My Mind, and SB35.

Hate to be the one to bust your bubble, but that's a greatest hits album. "Carry On" and "Take me out to the Dancehall" (if i remember correctly, it's not "Dancehall Dreamer" on the album) can originally be found on his "Carry On" album, his third, which was released back in 2000. That was his last full album under Greehorse Records.

"Three Days," "Threadbare Gypsy Soul" and "Who's to Say" were the only new releases on that CD, as far as I can remember.

Here are a few quotes from Pat before he released his last album that explains where he is in life and WHY he writes what he does:

- "To me, the only way songwriting works is if you write the truth.
It's the only way it works, period.
Where I'm going as a writer, what I'm looking for is an expansion of the truth, finding out more truth - especially about me.
It's easier to write about me, because I know where I am.
As a younger man, it was easy to get to my truth:
I was a simple man, having fun. As you get older it gets more complicated - but it's also about opening up a lot more places.
After all, that's where the deeper truth resides."

- "I try to write what's next," says the aw shucks everyman poet. "I'll never stop where the evolution is taking me... It's a waste of time to try to write what isn't there. I think a lot of people can relate to how hard it is to be in love with someone and to maintain being in love. Life is an interesting dilemna: I step off the curb and get caught up in my own humanity. That's where the songs come from."

- "Well, there's a huge difference between a deep song and on that's got a great big sing along chorus," the maker of "handmade records" concedes. "Deep songs are way more fun to write because you have to think about 'em, but they're not as much fun to perform or for the audience... and that IS part of it, you know!

"I'm a simple guy who understands what's going on, but doesn't have to prove it. I don't know why, but I just go with whatever. I'm completely fine to be whatever this is in any given moment - including a total dork. You know, you don't have to be the guy in the magazine... that's just a picture. It's two-dimensional - and real life has a lot more dimensions than that.

He's been preaching this song and dance to all of us ever since his music took a dramatic change.

So in conclusion, it sounds like you've only been a Pat Green fan a few years and only know his newer music. If that's all you've heard from him, it's easier to side with him. I don't know if some of the "purists" like me are always bashing your taste in music. Basically, he's had four years to make up that long-winded excuse, and it sounds really pretty. It really does. I want to believe him, and as much as I hate to admit it I love the song "Three Days." But the simple fact of the matter is you can take a terd, paint it pink, and put roses all over it, but at the end of the day something just stinks.

So you are saying that you are being hypocritical towards where Pat Green is going but won't turn a negative eye towards all of the other artists that are part of the "current" Texas music scene that are writing the same way that PG is and travelling outside of the state to grow the scope of their music.

Now I'm being hypocritical because I still support the guys who are still Texas Artists?

The answer is no. Texas artists have been on CMT and on the radio for much longer than Pat Green. Charlie (My Hometown, Sunset Blvd, Fourth of July, I Want you Bad) and Bruce Robison (Angry all the Time was on CMT for a while before McGraw rewrote it), Kelly Willis (If I left you), Jack Ingram and several others have had some airplay and have evolved as writers. If you think the entire Texas landscape is turning into Pat Green, then you have a very narrow view of Texas Music. There's a lot more out there.

Meanwhile, the areas of Texas Music that are starting to shift (a lot of it due to PG) are still standing squarely within the bounds of what I, and most people, call "Texas Music." They're still fiercely independent and have adopted their own style. Just because someone's evolving doesn't necessarily mean they're selling out. There's a huge difference.

Texas Music's original schtick was that Nashville sucked (just read any Corey Morrow t-shirt) and they were trying to get the commercialism out of Nashville. RRB, Wade Bowen, all these guys have succeeded in doing that.

Someone said that Ingram sold out. If so, that's sad. He was definitely one of my boys. If it is true, then that's not as much "turning a blind eye" as it is ignorance on my part.

If I didn't have to start working right now I would dive into your thinking that "Pat has forgotten his roots" comment and give you NUMEROUS examples of exactly the opposite of the one isolated incident that you are alluding to.

I can't wait. Should I grab a Snickers?

Stretch04
03-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
you gonna be at concrete street on the 18th?

I am not sure of my work schedule right now.

44INAROW
03-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Last year, after a baseball game/tournament in Flatonia, the baseball team stopped to grab a burger and my son went inside with a buddy and one of the coaches and they ran into Randy Rogers and some of his band members eating. Son came home with his baseball cap signed - then he asked me "Who is Randy Rogers?" :D His coach is a fan, so that's who recognized him.... **That was a year ago this weekend, maybe they'll run into someone else this tournament :)

Gobbla2001
03-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Now this is the type of stuff I like to see... well, minus russ wanted to do lap dances with tassles on his tata's (does he even have tata's?)...

Pat's doing his thing... if it is 'truely' what he 'wants' to do when it comes to writing and performing then so be it, that's what Texas Music is all about... But if it's just for the $$$, then I wouldn't categorize it as Texas Music, or as some like to call it Texas/Red Dirt, or it can be thrown into the genre of Americana, or as some people may say OKOM (Our Kind of Music)...

Texas Music (or some of the other categorizations I just used) is like Texas... not only is it a physical thing, it is a state of mind... You don't have to sing about Texas all of the time, or beer, or the Guadalupe or Frio rivers, but you have to be true to yourself... Yah, there's gunna be times where you have to put about 5 songs on a 15 song album that you didn't write and really don't care for, but putting those there for the other 10 is well worth it to some artists, and I would not consider anyone a sell-out for doing so... Selling out is making a complete change that you really don't care to make just for the money... I wouldn't say Pat Green has done that just because I don't like a lot of his current music... I honestly believe that he's meeting Nashville in the middle, kinda gettin' his nose a little brown... he'll eventually get 'em by the balls and will take it back to Texas...

good discussion...

Gobbla2001
03-07-2006, 01:40 PM
The thing about ole Jack Ingram is that I absolutely HATE "Wherever You Are"... Hell, I bet Mainstream country folk think it's too pop (okay, not that bad)... But he has always made a few songs each album that are poppy, that's just him, just his style... I really love a buncha his stuff...

pirate44
03-07-2006, 02:19 PM
listen to some good music on the Corpus Christi local radio station
Texas Radio 94.7 (http://www.texasradio947.com/)

Maroon87
03-07-2006, 02:22 PM
HA HA!! Look at who's on their home page...ol' PG himself!:nerd:

44INAROW
03-07-2006, 02:25 PM
The thing about ole Jack Ingram I really love a buncha his stuff...

Jack opened for Willie in Dec 2004 @ Riverside in Victoria. That was the 1st time I'd seen him and he put on a heck of a show..

Adidas410s
03-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Now this is the type of stuff I like to see... well, minus russ wanted to do lap dances with tassles on his tata's (does he even have tata's?)...

Pat's doing his thing... if it is 'truely' what he 'wants' to do when it comes to writing and performing then so be it, that's what Texas Music is all about... But if it's just for the $$$, then I wouldn't categorize it as Texas Music, or as some like to call it Texas/Red Dirt, or it can be thrown into the genre of Americana, or as some people may say OKOM (Our Kind of Music)...

Texas Music (or some of the other categorizations I just used) is like Texas... not only is it a physical thing, it is a state of mind... You don't have to sing about Texas all of the time, or beer, or the Guadalupe or Frio rivers, but you have to be true to yourself... Yah, there's gunna be times where you have to put about 5 songs on a 15 song album that you didn't write and really don't care for, but putting those there for the other 10 is well worth it to some artists, and I would not consider anyone a sell-out for doing so... Selling out is making a complete change that you really don't care to make just for the money... I wouldn't say Pat Green has done that just because I don't like a lot of his current music... I honestly believe that he's meeting Nashville in the middle, kinda gettin' his nose a little brown... he'll eventually get 'em by the balls and will take it back to Texas...

good discussion...

Finally somebody gets it. This is what I was trying to get across to Russ but things were getting lost in translation.

The only thing I would disagree with Gobbler is that PG is "meeting Nashville in the middle." From when they first signed with a national label, the band said their motto was "Take Texas to the masses!!!" and that is exactly what they are trying to do. In the past few years I have seen PG play shows in 4 states (including Texas) and the response that he gets from fans is awesome...particularly in Southern California. Last summer I saw pat play at a casino just outside of Palm Springs in a venue that held 300 people. The first thing that was interesting was that there were A LOT of people there from that had either come out to see PG (they lived in Texas) or had heard of him from friends back in Texas. They knew the words to his songs, new and old alike, and rocked out the entire concert.

Below is a sample set list from a recent PG show that I attended...one of his Billy Bob's shows in December. I also included the name of the albums that these songs appeared on. BTW, the guy who "forgot his roots" played 4 shows in 2 days @ BB's right before Christmas. Two were public and two were private for fan club members.

Set list:
Who's To Say - 3Days
California - WOW
Don't Break My Heart Again - Lucky Ones
Carry On - Carry On and 3D
Baby Doll - Lucky Ones
Three Days - 3D
Texas On My Mind** - 3D
Poetry - WOW
It's Time - Lucky Ones
Somewhere Between Texas & Mexico - Lucky Ones
Songs About Texas - George's Bar (2x), Live @ Gruene, Live @ BB's
Wrapped - WOW
Here We Go - Dancehall Dreamer, Live @ Gruene, Live @ BB's
Take Me Out To A Dancehall - Live @ BB's, Carry On, and 3D...this song was written for his first show at BB's
Wave on Wave - WOW
Walking In A Winter Wonderland - a seasonal song where PG dressed up as Santa and gave about 50 gifts per show throughout the crowd
Guy Like Me - WOW
George's Bar - George's Bar, Live @ Gruene, Live @ BB's
Southbound 35 - George's Bar, Live @ Gruene, Live @ BB's

**Django Walker came out and sang with Pat

That leaves the count at 9 songs from "the new stuff" and 9 songs from "the old stuff."

Highschoolfan78
03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Reckless Kelly puts on a good show, not to mention the local boys Highspeedhayride

Gobbla2001
03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Finally somebody gets it. This is what I was trying to get across to Russ but things were getting lost in translation.

The only thing I would disagree with Gobbler is that PG is "meeting Nashville in the middle." From when they first signed with a national label, the band said their motto was "Take Texas to the masses!!!"

Well we'll start a whole new arguement ha... or maybe 'WE' can 'meet in the middle' on this one...

I believe he still wants to "take Texas to the masses"... But in doing that, he's going to have to meet Nashville in the middle "FOR NOW"... a lot of his music, from the guitar to the words can be considered Pay Green style... some of it obviously cannot (the stuff I was talking about when mentioning the 5 tracks out of 15 business), but what I mean by "meeting in the middle" are a combination of a lot of things, but MAINLY his voice and the back-up voice in his music...

Listen to "College", which he did with Brad Pasley... I personally enjoy this song, but having the background singers go "YAH YAH YAHHHH" is totally not Pat Green...

Also look at "Somewhere Between Texas and Mexico"... In the course you have him saying "King Fish are Jumpin"... you know the way the "Jumpin" sounds when he sings it? Tell me that's Pat Green and my semi-big ass will run through a group of hot girls naked ha...

This is what I mean by him meeting them in the middle... he's mainly doing what he wants to do, but he gives a little in a few ways if you ask me... I just can't figure out a phrase that sounds catchy to explain "He's meeting them a quarter of the way" ;)

Gobbla2001
03-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Reckless Kelly puts on a good show, not to mention the local boys Highspeedhayride

Reckless Kelly is my favorite band and I've only seen them play about 3 to 4 songs... and yes, it was at Cuero's Turkeyfest, had to split early for some reasons... Will be checking them out my birthday weekend out at Schroeder and at the Wharton County Fair (forget exactly when it is, but I'll be there)... They'll be at Schroeder with The Eli Young Band... they're pretty good...

Also, any of you dig No Justice? "The Toast" and "Red Dress" are pretty good tunes...

Gobbla2001
03-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Oh, HSF78, I almost forgot... Caught Highspeed for the first time Thursday Night at Catctus... only caught the ass-end of the show, though... Their guitarist can rock the blues... Not bad for something coming out of Goliad (or Goli-hole as some like to call it) ;) ...

gobblerfan02
03-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I just saw Kevin Fowler this weekend at Shroeder, don't seem to remember much else from that night!