PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake Weekend

STANG RED
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Yall really need to make it to Sweetwater this weekend if you can.
The Sweetwater Jaycees World Largest Rattlesnake Roundup will be going on Fri, Sat, & Sunday.

The Jaycees also sponsor the cookoff in the park next to the Colesium on Saturday. It gets a little wild down there on Friday night.

The Rattlesnake Relays will be going on at the High School track feild (only a couple blocks away from the Colesium & Park) on Saturday. Come watch Skye smoke the competition in the sprints!

And, the first district golf tourney of the season will be taking place at the Sweetwater County Club, which is only about a mile away from everything else.

The Sweetwater Lions Club sponsores a huge Gun & Knife show in the Colesium annex also.

This little town of 11,000 or so, swells to 30 to 40 thousand for the weekend. A great time is had by all. If you've never been to it, this would be a great 1st time to come. There is lots to do, and there is always alot of great food booths set up everywhere. Oh yeah, there is even a huge flee market that takes up the entire rest of the park area that the cookoff doesnt take up. And they even use the pens in the livestock barns next to the Colesium to house 100 or so more flee market booths.

If your coming on Saturday, it would be wise to get there very early in the morning (8:00 a.m. or earlier), or plan on parking several blocks away. As great as the weather is supposed to be, It'll be packed by 9:00 a.m.
If your just coming for the Rattlesnake Roundup, Friday is really your best bet by far. Friday mornings are usually pretty slow, so you wont have any trouble getting around.

Bullaholic
03-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Stang.....I understand that the Sweetwater folks have extended an invitation to Black_Magic to be this year's official "rattlesnake checker". Is this true, or will Sweetwater rattlesnakes refuse to bite somebody from Snyder?:D

Eagle6Man
03-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Working with Texas Parks & Wildlife

This information provided by Bill E. Del Monte, retired Wildlife Biologist with the Texas Parks and Wildlife.

The Sweetwater Jaycees in cooperation with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department have collected valuable biological data and other pertinent information about the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. This information was gathered by random sampling of rattlesnakes brought to the annual Sweetwater Rattlesnake Round-up held the second weekend of March. The snake handlers are Jaycees trained in the proper technique of weighing, measuring and sexing the snakes. This is dangerous, tedious and labor intensive work so the Jaycees are to be commended for their efforts. They are also to be commended for their genuine concern about the future of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. The Jaycees have cooperated fully with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and Texas A & M University to determine whether commercial roundups have any adverse impact on the future of rattlesnake populations. Their interest in the future of this natural resource is also reflected by changing the thrust of the event to an educational experience.

STANG RED
03-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Stang.....I understand that the Sweetwater folks have extended an invitation to Black_Magic to be this year's official "rattlesnake checker". Is this true, or will Sweetwater rattlesnakes refuse to bite somebody from Snyder?:D

LOL :D

Actually, we have trained our Sweetwater rattlesnakes to bit Snyder folks multiple times, just to be sure.
We have a pit full of especially peed off 6 footers just waiting on Blackie.
;)

Ranger Mom
03-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I think me, Ranger Rebel, CHS_CG and baby CHS-CG and various assorted friends will be there sometime Friday!

Is it an extra charge to go to the gun show or does the fee you pay for entrance get you into everything?

Also, do they charge parking? Do I need to take out a loan before I head there?

Oh...one more question....where in the heck is it? The stadium is the only place I know for sure how to get to in Sweetwater!

STANG RED
03-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think me, Ranger Rebel, CHS_CG and baby CHS-CG and various assorted friends will be there sometime Friday!

Is it an extra charge to go to the gun show or does the fee you pay for entrance get you into everything?

Also, do they charge parking? Do I need to take out a loan before I head there?

Oh...one more question....where in the heck is it? The stadium is the only place I know for sure how to get to in Sweetwater!

You shouldnt have any trouble finding free parking on Friday RM. But, the earlier you can get there, the better.
You used to be able to get into the gun, coin & knife show free with your roundup hand stamp, but I dont know for sure if they still do that or not. The Jaycees dont control the gun, coin & knife show.

Also, there is a real easy way for you to get to it from the west RM. Let me think about it a few minutes, so I can draw it out for you. In fact, send me your email address, and I will scan in a map for you, and send a pdf. file to you. I can show you a way, that will get you in and out in a jiffy.

SWMustang
03-06-2006, 01:16 PM
[i]

The snake handlers are Jaycees trained in the proper technique of weighing, measuring and sexing the snakes.[/B]

I just couldn't let this go.

Eagle6Man
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang

I smiled when that posted. I wondered if there was any sicko on here.:D

DaHop72
03-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
LOL :D

Actually, we have trained our Sweetwater rattlesnakes to bit Snyder folks multiple times, just to be sure.

;) :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

SWMustang
03-06-2006, 02:07 PM
There's a lot of "Carnie" types in town too.

STANG RED
03-06-2006, 02:12 PM

Aww, thats nothing. You ought to see us trying to milk them.
Those little nipples are tough to get a grip on. :devil:

STANG RED
03-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not you DaHop! Just swing by the house and rinse the Snyder stinch off with a little Sweetwater water, and you'll be fine. You probably still have that sweet Mustang smell, under all that Tiger stink. :devil: :D :devil:

GetRDoneStangs
03-06-2006, 02:43 PM
The Rattlesnake Relays will be going on at the High School track feild (only a couple blocks away from the Colesium & Park) on Saturday. Come watch Skye smoke the competition in the sprints!

I think Atlanta is coming to the Rattlesnake Relays this year (Sweetwater went to the Rabbit Relay last year), this could be a real good one if the weather holds like it looks like it might.

I hope I can get away from the Colesium to see some of the relays....

injuredinmelee
03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
the last few years you have had to paly extra to get into the gun show. M&G there this weekend?

injuredinmelee
03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
I still bneed soemone to hook me up on a good rattler hunt.

STANG RED
03-07-2006, 08:14 AM
ttt

STANG RED
03-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I still bneed soemone to hook me up on a good rattler hunt.

Is there any way you can get off work on Friday Injured? If so, I can take you. Saturday would be a little harder for me, but I should have a couple of hours even then. I can take you out to my dads ranch. I bet we could pick up a few out there. If you have ever been on one of the bus tours, it goes out there, but it doesnt go to where I can take you.

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
the last few years you have had to paly extra to get into the gun show. M&G there this weekend?

Well, I will be there Friday ONLY! If anyone else is gonna be there then, let me know.

I have getrdonestangs and his daughter's phone numbers! That's the only one's I know for sure are gonna be there!

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Well, I will be there Friday ONLY! If anyone else is gonna be there then, let me know.

I have getrdonestangs and his daughter's phone numbers! That's the only one's I know for sure are gonna be there!

OK, so you aren't going on the cruise, so I guess Sweetwater is the next best option??:D :D :D :D

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
OK, so you aren't going on the cruise, so I guess Sweetwater is the next best option??:D :D :D :D

Cruise?? What cruise??:confused:

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Cruise?? What cruise??:confused:

I voted cruise. Since I am not that much of a TV watcher, the projection screen didn't appeal to me.

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 10:10 AM
I was voting in a poll for someone else to go on a cruise....not me!

Sintonfan's wife is really nice and sweet, but I don't think she would like me tagging along with them!!

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I was voting in a poll for someone else to go on a cruise....not me!

Sintonfan's wife is really nice and sweet, but I don't think she would like me tagging along with them!!

Aaaaah, I gotcha.

Actually, from everything that Stang Red is saying this sounds like it's going to be alot of fun! Wouldn't be a bad deal in place of a cruise anyway from the way I look at it.

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Hmm....would I rather spend a couple days surrounded by slithering, writhing, pissed off rattlesnakes

OR

on the ocean, with the sun shining down....a nice cold beverage whenever I want it.....watching the beautiful sunset over the horizon...

Hmmm....I just don't know!!:thinking: :thinking:

NOT!!!!! (Wow...it's been a LONG time since I said that)!!:D

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Hmm....would I rather spend a couple days surrounded by slithering, writhing, pissed off rattlesnakes

OR

on the ocean, with the sun shining down....a nice cold beverage whenever I want it.....watching the beautiful sunset over the horizon...

Hmmm....I just don't know!!:thinking: :thinking:

NOT!!!!! (Wow...it's been a LONG time since I said that)!!:D

LOLOL,
Look at it this way RM,
The sun will be shining down on a nice BBQ grill, still can have the beverage(s), get to see a great track meet, watching your favorite team win the 100 yard dash as the sun sets behind them? Perfect!:D :D :D

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 10:29 AM
LOLOL,
Look at it this way RM,
The sun will be shining down on a nice BBQ grill, still can have the beverage(s), get to see a great track meet, watching your favorite team win the 100 yard dash as the sun sets behind them? Perfect!:D :D :D

They are having a track meet at the rattlesnake roundup??

I knew they milked the snakes, I didn't know they made them compete in a foot .....um......er......belly race too!!!:eek: :eek:

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 10:44 AM
They are having a track meet at the rattlesnake roundup??

I knew they milked the snakes, I didn't know they made them compete in a foot .....um......er......belly race too!!!:eek: :eek:

Yep, I found this website. (http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.com/)

Which has a schedule of events.

Tweeder215
03-07-2006, 12:11 PM
It's always alot of fun. I've been just about every year since I was born and I'll be rolling into town Friday as well. Hopefully I can watch some of that track meet because if Atlanta is going to be there then that should at least have some better races this year.

AP Panther Fan
03-07-2006, 12:33 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.com/_images/_gallery/_2005/_cookoff/_/11.jpg

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 12:39 PM
LOLOL Ummmm boy!!!!!

That's exactly why I specify BBQ BEEF!

AP Panther Fan
03-07-2006, 12:50 PM
LOLOL Ummmm boy!!!!!

That's exactly why I specify BBQ BEEF!

That is just plain nasty! If anyone has seen the movie "Steel Magnolias"....it reminds me of the armadillo cake.:D

I really couldn't decide if this picture was real or concocted for the "grossness value":thinking: If it wasn't for the darn toothpicks, I would swear it's fake.:doh:

AP Panther Fan
03-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Okay, here's another one for those of you who haven't gone to lunch and are trying to watch your weight.....:eek:

http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.com/_images/_gallery/_2005/_cookoff/_/7.jpg

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
That is just plain nasty! If anyone has seen the movie "Steel Magnolias"....it reminds me of the armadillo cake.:D

I really couldn't decide if this picture was real or concocted for the "grossness value":thinking: If it wasn't for the darn toothpicks, I would swear it's fake.:doh:

So, I am taking it you have never eaten rattlesnake before??

I went to a chili cookoff in Midland one time where I was talked into trying rattlesnake, alligator and shark....I was pleasantly surprised!

None of them were all that bad....the shark was pretty darn good actually!!

GetRDoneStangs
03-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Okay, here's another one for those of you who haven't gone to lunch and are trying to watch your weight.....:eek:

http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.com/_images/_gallery/_2005/_cookoff/_/7.jpg

Note the 2 plasic cups in the picture.....They help "Clense" the pallat...:D :D

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Ya know, this really isn't as bad as what I have seen them eat on the show "Survivor". Or that other show where they eat stuff I can't even post here.:D

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Geeeee, I knew Snyder had to get in on the act..:D :D :D

White tigers to visit Round-Up

Move over rattlesnakes, the white tigers are coming to town.

The Sweetwater Jaycees are proud to welcome these world renowned and endangered animals to the World's Largest Rattlesnake Round-Up. The Royal White Tiger Discovery Education Program and Exhibit is a specially designed, hands-on, interactive, conservative education program whose goal is to promote and excite people about the many conservation issues involving the last few remaining species of tigers in the world.

The exhibit has many features that are sure to be crowd pleaser:

€ Two beautiful adult Royal White Tigers together.

€ Over 4 tons of specialized equipment.

€ Over 4,200 feet of display exhibit.

€ Special jungle sound effects.

€ Various tiger feedings throughout the day.

€ Professional animal keepers on hand to answer questions.

€ “Tiger Talk” presentation every 45 minutes, continuously.

€ Guests able to help keepers feed the tigers.

Currently there are only about 40 of the Royal White Tigers on display in zoos throughout the United States, none left in the wild and only around 400 in the world.

“We are proud to bring and share these magnificent adult Royal Tigers with the public,” said Jaycee Ted Thomas. “The display will be located near the swimming pool, just across the creek from the Nolan County Coliseum. Come out and experience a chance of a lifetime to see and feed one of the world's most endangered animals.”

SWMustang
03-07-2006, 01:40 PM
How racial can they be? How come the black tigers don't get to come to Sweetwater?

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 01:43 PM
How racial can they be? How come the black tigers don't get to come to Sweetwater?

Just curious, but isn't a black tiger a panther????
:thinking:

SWMustang
03-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Isn't a white tiger better known as Sigfried and Roy Chow?

Bullaholic
03-07-2006, 02:08 PM

Eagle6....Don't know if black lions or tigers exist in the wild---never heard of one. The black panther we are familiar with is a black leopard.

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Eagle6....Don't know if black lions or tigers exist in the wild---never heard of one. The black panther we are familiar with is a black leopard.

Evidently they do....or do they?:confused:

Black Tigers (http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/black.html)

SWMustang
03-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Evidently they do....or do they?:confused:

Black Tigers (http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/black.html)

I think someone's been watching animal planet on at least 1 of your 8 TV's....

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 02:40 PM
I think someone's been watching animal planet on at least 1 of your 8 TV's....

HUH???

No TV here....it's called "GOOGLE" baby!!

GetRDoneStangs
03-07-2006, 05:19 PM

:thinking: :thinking:

Well we know the Black and Gold tigers are not coming...

But You will have to refer that question to Coach Rodgers

STANG RED
03-07-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm gonna keep this on the front page till Friday.
I hope yall dont mind. Its really a neat event, and I just want to make sure everybody know about it before it starts. Thanks.

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 09:24 PM
I read about it in the issue of Texas Monthly (about the soldiers) this afternoon!

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I read about it in the issue of Texas Monthly (about the soldiers) this afternoon!

I'm gonna have to get that issue. What did you think of the story?

Ranger Mom
03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm gonna have to get that issue. What did you think of the story?

I didn't get to finish it, I made the mistake of showing that issue to my husband and he confiscated it and has been reading it ever since.....so I guess I will finish it later!

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 09:46 PM
http://www.texasmonthly.com/mag/issues/2006-03-01/cover.jpg

wildstangs
03-07-2006, 10:20 PM
The snake really isnt that bad. It does have lots of bones...Kinda tastes like chicken..Imagine that.

I will be heading over to Sweetwater on Saturday. This will be my wife's first rattlesnake roundup, so I have a lot of stuff to show her.

GetRDoneStangs
03-07-2006, 11:39 PM

Tonight while we where setting up for the Roundup, I had the chance to visit with a fellow "Sweetwater Jaycee", that had just returned from Iraq. He is an awesome kid and a good friend and to hear his stories of how it "really is" and how he believed in what they accomplished, nearly brought me to tears. He is recovering from a IED blast that killed one in his Humvee, but he didn't dwell on himself, but on his fallen commrades that did not make it home to make the "Rooundup" like he did....

Thank you Jason W.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Tonight while we where setting up for the Roundup, I had the chance to visit with a fellow "Sweetwater Jaycee", that had just returned from Iraq. He is an awesome kid and a good friend and to hear his stories of how it "really is" and how he believed in what they accomplished, nearly brought me to tears. He is recovering from a IED blast that killed one in his Humvee, but he didn't dwell on himself, but on his fallen commrades that did not make it home to make the "Rooundup" like he did....

Thank you Jason W.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

GetRDone,

Please do me the honor of shaking Jason's hand and tell him I said Thanks.

"No mission too difficult, no sacrifice too great"

"Always First"

1st Infantry Division

The Big Red One

GetRDoneStangs
03-08-2006, 12:24 AM
GetRDone,

Please do me the honor of shaking Jason's hand and tell him I said Thanks.

"No mission too difficult, no sacrifice too great"

"Always First"

1st Infantry Division

The Big Red One

I will see him tomorrow.. consider it done !

STANG RED
03-08-2006, 08:34 AM
ttt

GetRDoneStangs
03-08-2006, 11:44 AM
StangRed

See you at the Family Feed tonite?

Let me know about snakehunts when u know.

DaHop72
03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Keeping it up front until Friday for Stang Red.:devil: :devil:

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 04:57 PM
ttt

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Be on the lookout for Lady Z Motion Jr AKA (Whitney Watts) in the 3200, 300 hurdles and mile relay. She is a Vernon Girl and hoping to do well in the hurdles this meet. I'm not sure if I will be able to make this meet so she needs some 3Adownlow Love -- so if you make it out there to the track meet holla for her!!!

Skinny Blonde and very cute -- Nothing like her dad!

mrescape43
03-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Isn't a white tiger better known as Sigfried and Roy Chow?

You have it backwards. Sigfried and Roy are white tiger chow!

STANG RED
03-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Be on the lookout for Lady Z Motion Jr AKA (Whitney Watts) in the 3200, 300 hurdles and mile relay. She is a Vernon Girl and hoping to do well in the hurdles this meet. I'm not sure if I will be able to make this meet so she needs some 3Adownlow Love -- so if you make it out there to the track meet holla for her!!!

Skinny Blonde and very cute -- Nothing like her dad!

I'll root her on for ya Z motion. I hope she has a great meet. How has she been doing up till now?

Phantom Stang
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Keeping it up front until Friday for Stang Red.:devil: :devil:
I read that too fast the first time!!:eek:

STANG RED
03-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I read that too fast the first time!!:eek:

I know what you mean. It made me take a double take as well. :D

DaHop72
03-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I know what you mean. It made me take a double take as well. :D Gee, try and help as chief would say a brother out and you two trying to go perv on me.:D

Eagle6Man
03-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Gee, try and help as chief would say a brother out and you two trying to go perv on me.:D

:clap:

STANG RED
03-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Gee, try and help as chief would say a brother out and you two trying to go perv on me.:D

Sorry Hop. But if you read it real fast, it sounded a little different than what you meant. Thanks for helping a brother out though. Your my favorite 1/2 Tiger, 1/2 Mustang. :D

DaHop72
03-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Your my favorite 1/2 Tiger, 1/2 Mustang. :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MARLINDOGS
03-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Gee, try and help as chief would say a brother out and you two trying to go perv on me.:D :eek: :eek: :eek:

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I'll root her on for ya Z motion. I hope she has a great meet. How has she been doing up till now?

In her first meet she took 5th in the 3200, 4th in the 300 hurdles and 2nd in the relay. Her times were not all that good but she did get enough points last week to help the Lady Lions win the meet. I would like to see her break the 14 minute mark in the 2 mile and run a 53 in the hurdles and run a 67 quarter in the mile relay.

I think I will end up making this trip after all so maybe I will see you there.

GetRDoneStangs
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Over 1,000 lbs. of snakes and the Roundup starts tomorrow. The Jaycees turned in snakes today and the public starts at 7 am Friday. Should be lots of snakes this year..
:thinking: my guess, 12, 000 lbs... we will see.

DaHop72
03-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Over 1,000 lbs. of snakes and the Roundup starts tomorrow. The Jaycees turned in snakes today and the public starts at 7 am Friday. Should be lots of snakes this year..
:thinking: my guess, 12, 000 lbs... we will see. As far as I'm concerned 1 lb. is too much.:evillaugh :evillaugh

Eagle6Man
03-09-2006, 11:23 PM
As far as I'm concerned 1 lb. is too much.:evillaugh :evillaugh :clap: :thinking:

STANG RED
03-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I just realized I screwed up on the announcement when I started this thread. The track meet is today (Friday) only. It starts at noon and will be going till pretty late, because it is a one day meet only.
Gotta get back down to the park, I just came home for a few minutes to get a few things. The weather is so nice, the park is already full of cookers and their still pileing in. It looks like its gonna be a real good one this year.

x24_Veronica
03-10-2006, 12:15 PM
I just realized I screwed up on the announcement when I started this thread. The track meet is today (Friday) only. It starts at noon and will be going till pretty late, because it is a one day meet only.
Gotta get back down to the park, I just came home for a few minutes to get a few things. The weather is so nice, the park is already full of cookers and their still pileing in. It looks like its gonna be a real good one this year.

I am going to try to go out there sometime after the round up and check it out.

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 12:35 PM

Red, please let us know how S'water and Skye do today!

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Just got a call from Lady Z Jr. She was like all the rattlesbakes out there today...she said she was smoked in the 3200. Ok better luck in the 300 which is up next. She told me that there are a lot of schools at the meet.

Phantom Stang
03-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Any results yet?

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Bad meet for Lady Z Jr. Didn't make the finals in the 300 and ran the 800 and just too much competition. Probably will be the same at the Graham Relays next weekend.

She did improve her time in the 300 though.

shadow13
03-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Red, please let us know how S'water and Skye do today! Sweetwater took 2nd place team trophy with only 9 team members. Skye took 1st in the 100m. prelims. 10.41, finals 10.57 : 4x100 and 4x400 relays - 1st : Joseph 1st in long jump , Duone 1st in 200m. timing was F.A.T

DaHop72
03-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by shadow13
Sweetwater took 2nd place team trophy with only 9 team members. Skye took 1st in the 100m. prelims. 10.41, finals 10.57 : 4x100 and 4x400 relays - 1st : Joseph 1st in long jump , Duone 1st in 200m. timing was F.A.T Congrats to the Mustang runners.

Eagle6Man
03-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Sweetwater took 2nd place team trophy with only 9 team members. Skye took 1st in the 100m. prelims. 10.41, finals 10.57 : 4x100 and 4x400 relays - 1st : Joseph 1st in long jump , Duone 1st in 200m. timing was F.A.T

Thanks Shadow..appreciate it and great job Mustangs!

GetRDoneStangs
03-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Congrats mustangs on a great meet!!

Shadow....

Did they ever find the missing snakes from the roundup???:confused:

Just kidding ....LOL.....

:D :D :D :D

STANG RED
03-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Sweetwater took 2nd place team trophy with only 9 team members. Skye took 1st in the 100m. prelims. 10.41, finals 10.57 : 4x100 and 4x400 relays - 1st : Joseph 1st in long jump , Duone 1st in 200m. timing was F.A.T

What he is not telling you is; Skye had to catch and pass a great anchor leg runner from Vernon to win the 4x400. He caught him, but just stayed on his hip till they rounded the last curve. It was literaly a sprint down that last staightaway between this Vernon kid and Skye. Skye was able to pull it out in the last 30 meters, to win by a stride or two. The kid from Vernon gave him all he could handle. It was an awesome race. By that time, the wind had picked up and it was getting colder by the minute, but most people knew they were in for a great race, and stuck around. We were not disappointed!

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-11-2006, 01:21 PM
What he is not telling you is; Skye had to catch and pass a great anchor leg runner from Vernon to win the 4x400. He caught him, but just stayed on his hip till they rounded the last curve. It was literaly a sprint down that last staightaway between this Vernon kid and Skye. Skye was able to pull it out in the last 30 meters, to win by a stride or two. The kid from Vernon gave him all he could handle. It was an awesome race. By that time, the wind had picked up and it was getting colder by the minute, but most people knew they were in for a great race, and stuck around. We were not disappointed!

Glad to see Vernon was tough in that race.

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Vernon and Sweetwater are both very similiar towns. Makes for a great rivalry.

oh well
03-11-2006, 02:14 PM

Why only 9 runners? What happen to their 800 meter relay. I thought that would be the one that could win state?

shadow13
03-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by oh well
Why only 9 runners? What happen to their 800 meter relay. I thought that would be the one that could win state? If YOU REMEMBER , Jeremy Thompson and Micheal Williams graduated last year. I don't remember anyone around here talking about any relay making it to state this year, although our goal is to do just that. But you need 4 good runners, not to put anyone down, but 3 won't get you to state. Right now our best chance for state is the 4x100 relay, our 3rd leg is also playing baseball, so we don't have him full time I think he will be there for the district meet ,and the regional meet.

shadow13
03-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Track is not at the top of the list for favorite sports in Sweetwater, We only had around 10 or 11 members last year.

shadow13
03-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Most people around here are still trying to figure out ,what's the big deal about running around in a circle.

shadow13
03-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Vernon and Sweetwater are both very similiar towns. Makes for a great rivalry. Vernon do seem like a town that really supports ALL of their high school sports.

shadow13
03-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Glad to see Vernon was tough in that race. Vernon did run very good in the 4x400 relay, but it was the team from Hereford that got 2nd behind Sweetwater.

Eagle6Man
03-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Most people around here are still trying to figure out ,what's the big deal about running around in a circle.

Shadow, don't worry man, they say the same thing about Nascar.:D

shadow13
03-11-2006, 04:00 PM
:)

Ranger Mom
03-11-2006, 04:21 PM

I would much rather watch a track meet (especially the relays) than a baseball game - ANYDAY!!

oh well
03-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Shadow nobody said that about the 800 relay. That is what I thought. It seems to be the race these young men have excelled at since Jr High. I was making a statement I thought it would be there best relay. 3 super strong legs and one that could be. Jujst my take on it. Those 10 athletes are outstanding I agree.

shadow13
03-12-2006, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by oh well
Shadow nobody said that about the 800 relay. That is what I thought. It seems to be the race these young men have excelled at since Jr High. I was making a statement I thought it would be there best relay. 3 super strong legs and one that could be. Jujst my take on it. Those 10 athletes are outstanding I agree. Without Jeremy and Micheal we are not close to being were we need to be to go back to state in the 200m relay or the 4x400 relay, we do have a chance in the 4x100 relay. I would like to apologize if I seemed a little harsh, when I replied back from your 1st statements didn't mean anything toward you.

shadow13
03-12-2006, 01:48 AM
I would much rather watch a track meet (especially the relays) than a baseball game - ANYDAY!! Thanks RM we need more support from people like you around here.

oh well
03-12-2006, 06:25 PM
shadow thanks I am just a track fan. Is the meet in Roscoe Friday or Saturday. The 100 meters at Roscoe could be as fast as any meet in west texas 4 men have ran 10.5 or faster should be flying. Good luck to all

shadow13
03-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Yeah it's Saturday, The 100m should be 1 heck of a race ,hopefully everyone will be at their best and give us what we will be there to see.