PDA

View Full Version : Girl plays in Basketball Game, Gives Birth hours later!

kaorder1999
03-06-2006, 12:02 PM
http://images.freenewmexican.com/2006/03/03/29048_210x1000.jpg

Is this crazy or what? She sinks two three-pointers and then has a baby!

www.freenewmexican.com/news/40212.html

Athlete gives birth just hours after game
(183 comments; last comment posted Yesterday 07:49 pm) print | email this story

Mesa Vista High senior point guard Kayla Alire, shown Jan. 22, 2004, gave birth after a game Feb. 18.

By NATALIE STOREY | The New Mexican
March 3, 2006

It was on a bumpy bus ride home from a basketball game in Questa that 18-year-old Kayla Alire started to have terrible stomach pains.

The senior point guard at Mesa Vista High in Ojo Caliente didn't realize she was experiencing labor pains. She had just played in her last basketball game Feb. 18, a game in which she sank two 3-pointers.

Two hours later, she was at Espaņola Hospital in labor. An hour after arriving, she gave birth to a 6-pound, 4-ounce baby boy no one knew was coming.

"I was shocked," she said. "I was just so amazed."

Sunshine Gonzales, an assistant manager at Planned Parenthood in Albuquerque, said cases of women not knowing they are pregnant until the last minute aren't frequent, but they do occur. An athletic woman can sometimes have irregular periods and might not rely on her period as a sign of pregnancy, Gonzales said. Also, symptoms typically associated with pregnancy like nausea and weight gain can vary.

"There's a lot of women who don't have any sickness at all while they are pregnant," she said.

Alire named her healthy baby Isaiah and has recovered quickly from his birth. All throughout her pregnancy, she wore size zero pants, her normal size. She said she must have gained a little weight but never realized it. She also said she didn't have any strange cravings and thinks her body might not have clued her in to the pregnancy because she exercises so hard so often. Besides playing basketball, Alire also is in track.

"I'm not really sure how much weight I gained since I didn't really weigh myself," she said. "I ate just like I usually do."

When Alire arrived home from the basketball game, she told her mother, Cynthia Alire, that she was having awful stomach pains. Her mother drove her to the hospital, where she was informed she was soon going to give birth.

Cynthia Alire, who already has two grandchildren, was excited she was about to have a third. Kayla Alire's boyfriend of two years, Felipe Sisneros, had no idea his girlfriend was pregnant. When his mother told him, Kayla Alire said, he didn't believe it at first. "After he realized it was true, he got really happy," she said.

Kayla Alire said she and Sisneros had never discussed having children before, and she always figured she would wait until she was older to become a mother. For now, Kayla Alire said, she has been going to school this week and plans to graduate. She also wants to run track this spring and go to college in the fall.

Although unexpected, Kayla Alire said, Isaiah is a welcome addition to the family.

"Oh yeah," she said. "I'm happy."

Contact Natalie Storey at 986-3026 or nstorey@sfnewmexican.com.

District303aPastPlayer
03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
wow...

kaorder1999
03-06-2006, 12:09 PM
and I've got kids who feel they can't play because "they have a runny nose"

AP Panther Fan
03-06-2006, 12:11 PM
:eek: Incredible...talk about surprise!

She obviously didn't gain the 40+ pounds that I did with all three of my pregnancies. :thinking: :cool:

kaorder1999
03-06-2006, 12:18 PM
i thought it was pretty much a given that women eventually "KNOW" they are pregnant or at least have a hunch that they are!!! Am I wrong here?

AP Panther Fan
03-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i thought it was pretty much a given that women eventually "KNOW" they are pregnant or at least have a hunch that they are!!! Am I wrong here?

You are correct...this young lady is an exception to the norm.

Most of us have enormous weight gain, cravings, indigestion, swelling, lack of sleep, and mood swings that are best described as a desire to kill even those near and dear to you. :D

kaorder1999
03-06-2006, 12:34 PM
amazing....

44INAROW
03-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

I think I know the "obvious" sign you are talking about.. BUT,, sometimes girls that workout and run alot are "irregular" and don't have "their monthly visitor" for extended periods of time. Thank goodness the baby is healthy with no prenatal care :)

CenTexSports
03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I don't believe it for two reasons. First, that baby had to move and at 6 plus pounds, there had to be a hand, foot or head that made a knot when it moved sometime late in the pregnancy (unless she is used to her intestines poking out once in a while). Second, if you have been around an expectant mother, you know they are different. In my wife's case, she was actually a nice person while carrying all three kids (unlike the rest of the time).

big daddy russ
03-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
...Second, if you have been around an expectant mother, you know they are different. In my wife's case, she was actually a nice person while carrying all three kids (unlike the rest of the time).
What if she's Mexican? I have a weakness for Mexican women, but Lord knows they're moody whether or not they're pregnant.:D

pirate4state
03-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
What if she's Mexican? I have a weakness for Mexican women, but Lord knows they're moody whether or not they're pregnant.:D :evillaugh OMG...Russ!!! DUCK!! :p :D

District303aPastPlayer
03-06-2006, 04:45 PM
What if she's Mexican? I have a weakness for Mexican women, but Lord knows they're moody whether or not they're pregnant.:D

http://www.therapcella.com/images/releases/2201.jpg
church!!

big daddy russ
03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:evillaugh OMG...Russ!!! DUCK!! :p :D
LOL. You know I love you.

pirate4state
03-06-2006, 05:44 PM
LOL. You know I love you. I know, but what can I say, I'm in a "mood" :D ;) LMAO!!!

big daddy russ
03-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I know, but what can I say, I'm in a "mood" :D ;) LMAO!!!
My girl just saw this thread. I now have a 2" heel sticking out of my neck.

AP Panther Fan
03-06-2006, 06:22 PM
I know, but what can I say, I'm in a "mood" :D ;) LMAO!!!

Ha ha....reminds me of the joke about the guy that gave his girlfriend a "mood" ring to better keep up with her mood swings. When she was in a good mood it turned green and when she was in a bad mood it just left a big red mark on his forehead. :nerd: :doh:

piratebg
03-06-2006, 08:35 PM
This is CRAZY. :crazy: