PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville's Cordell Expected to Accept Greenville Job Tomorrow

Matthew328
03-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Looks like Jeff Cordell will be leaving Gainesville to accept the job at Greenville..been a tough off-season for the Leps losing Cordell, he'll be taking 3 assistants with him....they have already lost OC Phil Young who took the job at Cleburne.....

injuredinmelee
03-05-2006, 09:40 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
gives the rest of us a chance maybe. Good luck to him hope he brings Greenville back to glory.

Eagle6Man
03-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Looks like Jeff Cordell will be leaving Gainesville to accept the job at Greenville..been a tough off-season for the Leps losing Cordell, he'll be taking 3 assistants with him....they have already lost OC Phil Young who took the job at Cleburne.....

Matt, will there be a story somewhere tomorrow on this?

Haunta Yo
03-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Seems like he's been trying to get out of Gainesville pretty hard this year (At least his name's come up a bunch). Good luck in Greenville.

NateDawg39
03-06-2006, 12:25 AM
He did a lot for Gainesville in a 3 year period. I bet he brings Greenville to glory before long aswell.

GreenMonster
03-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Any projections on who the next head coach at Gainesville will be yet? I've heard rumblings about the old man with more wins than all might be interested in a short drive to work over in Gainesville everyday.

District303aPastPlayer
03-06-2006, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Any projections on who the next head coach at Gainesville will be yet? I've heard rumblings about the old man with more wins than all might be interested in a short drive to work over in Gainesville everyday.

i got a call for an interview tueday morning.

injuredinmelee
03-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

I heard Kent Jackson was one of the finalist.

Matthew328
03-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I would bet Gainesville alum and former Wilmer-Hutchins coach Mike Robinson will be in the mix...

Keith7
03-06-2006, 07:42 PM
i heard Mike Martz is interested

Gobbla2001
03-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Okay okay okay okay okay.... Gainesville did great during Cordell's tenure there... HOWEVER.... I would not give full credit to Cordell for all of Gainesville's success over the last few years... Sure, the man helped... a damn good coach (obviously)... but a 3A team like Palacios woulda still been the 3-7 team they've always been had he been there for 10...

Give a little credit to Gainesville...

NateDawg39
03-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Okay okay okay okay okay.... Gainesville did great during Cordell's tenure there... HOWEVER.... I would not give full credit to Cordell for all of Gainesville's success over the last few years... Sure, the man helped... a damn good coach (obviously)... but a 3A team like Palacios woulda still been the 3-7 team they've always been had he been there for 10...

Give a little credit to Gainesville... Duh!! A coach cant make a team win state on its own...The players were there and the support from the town. Yet he out the gameplan together so it was and always must be a combined effort.

Gobbla2001
03-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Duh!! A coach cant make a team win state on its own...The players were there and the support from the town. Yet he out the gameplan together so it was and always must be a combined effort.

Oh, I know this... DUH!!!

More in response to the comment of "gives the rest of us a chance maybe!" and "hope he brings Greenville back to glory"... have nothing wrong witht those comments, those are just comments that prove impact on the game of 3a football here in Texas and at Gainesville High...

There have been other posts regarding this very subject before this thread we are currently discussing, and you got the feeling that Gainesville was like a single mother of 9 not receiving child's support from the EX (father of all 9)!!! I'm just getting down to the nitty-gritty and lettin' everybody know that you haven't heard the last of Gainesville... may have an off year this next year, but you can bet your bottom-dollar that them boys will be back...

Tradition kills!!!... Great athletes and a handful of coachin' doesn't hurt neither...

Gobbla2001
03-06-2006, 08:09 PM
and you got the feeling that Gainesville was like a single mother of 9 not receiving child's support from the EX (father of all 9)!!!

Ew Ew, and making less than 18k a year...

NateDawg39
03-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Oh, I know this... DUH!!!

More in response to the comment of "gives the rest of us a chance maybe!" and "hope he brings Greenville back to glory"... have nothing wrong witht those comments, those are just comments that prove impact on the game of 3a football here in Texas and at Gainesville High...

There have been other posts regarding this very subject before this thread we are currently discussing, and you got the feeling that Gainesville was like a single mother of 9 not receiving child's support from the EX (father of all 9)!!! I'm just getting down to the nitty-gritty and lettin' everybody know that you haven't heard the last of Gainesville... may have an off year this next year, but you can bet your bottom-dollar that them boys will be back...

Tradition kills!!!... Great athletes and a handful of coachin' doesn't hurt neither... Everyone has an off-year....Except Progresso they are always off:D !!!

Fletch
03-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Cordell named new Greenville AD, football coach

David Claybourn
The Herald Banner
GREENVILLE —
It was unanimous.

Jeff Cordell, by a 6-0 vote of the Greenville Independent School District’s Board of Trustees, was hired on Monday night as the new head football coach and athletic director of the Greenville Lions.

Cordell brings with him an impressive resume that includes a 36-5 record, one Class 3A state championship and two state championship appearances in three seasons with the Gainesville Leopards.

Cordell was selected from 187 applicants for the position left open on Jan. 30 when Jimmie Brooks, the former head coach and athletic director, was reassigned to classroom duties within the school district. Brooks went 4-16 in two seasons as head football coach.

“We had an outstanding field of applicants to select from,” said Buddy Echols, the acting superintendent of the GISD. “He basically was the leader of the pack. I was impressed with what he had to say. Of course his track record is excellent.”

Echols said he was impressed with Cordell’s philosophy about his players being good students first, with good morale character, and “if you take care of those basic things, that the winning takes care of itself.”

Cordell, who had served as defensive coordinator at Gainesville, coached the Leopards to a 15-0 record in 2003, including a 35-24 victory over Burnet in the Class 3A Division I state title game. His team went 8-4 in 2004, reaching the 3A Division I regional semifinals and then was 13-1 in 2005, losing 21-7 to Wimberley in the 3A Division I state finals.

Cordell was a three-time all-conference defensive back at Austin College and also earned NAIA all-America honors in 1990 after helping the 8-2 Kangaroos reach the playoffs. He was inducted into Austin College’s Athletic Hall of Honor in 1996.

Cordell broke into coaching at Vivian Field Middle School in Farmers Branch. He was an assistant coach at R.L. Turner High School in Carrollton from 1993-95 and an assistant coach at Aubrey High School from 1995-97.

The Lions’ new head coach and athletic director also coached linebackers at West Texas A&M from 1997-99 before returning to the high school ranks to Gainesville in 1999 as an assistant. He coached as an assistant until 2003 when he was promoted to head coach after Mark Copeland left to coach at Newman Smith in Carrollton.

“We just really were impressed with him and think he’s a perfect fit,” said Echols.

Cordell will be coaching a Lion football team that will be moving into District 10-4A next season with defending state champion Highland Park, Terrell, Richardson Pearce, Forney, West Mesquite, Mesquite Poteet and the new Rockwall-Heath, which played a junior varsity schedule this past season. Greenville will also face Sherman, Denison and Liberty-Eylau in non-district football play.

Bullaholic
03-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Jeff Cordell is a good man and fine coach. He will do well wherever he goes. I am surprised that he wasn't a head coach a long time ago before Gainesville. Like you guys pointed out---you put a good coach and good talent together anywhere and that program will begin to rise. I agree with Gobbla and Nate that Gainesville will always be a force in 3A because they seem to have a good talent pool. I'm glad coach Cordell got that state title for the folks in Gville before he left.

kaorder1999
03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
if robinson isnt considered then coaching has become a crappy profession! HEHE

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Everyone has an off-year....Except Progresso they are always off:D !!!

OUCH! Poor Progreso.....they've got talent, they just lack coaching. Yeah, unfortunately it seems as though Red Ants go squish every season.

Eagle6Man
03-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Not trying to be a wise guy, but shouldn't Progresso be the spaghetti sauce men?

NateDawg39
03-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
Not trying to be a wise guy, but shouldn't Progresso be the spaghetti sauce men? Like I said before..its all in the uniforms. Cant have a good seson unless you have good lookin unis.:)

Bullaholic
03-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Like I said before..its all in the uniforms. Cant have a good seson unless you have good lookin unis.:)

Nate.....the Eagles are still looking for one---Is that why they change em' every season? :D

NateDawg39
03-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Nate.....the Eagles are still looking for one---Is that why they change em' every season? :D .....No!!!!!! We just like variety

Keith7
03-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Cordell takes Greenville job
By MARVIN HOGAN, Register Sports Editor

GREENVILLE - On March 20 Jeff Cordell is expected to take over the reigns of the athletic department of Greenville High School.

He was named Greenville High School athletic director and head football coach by the Greenville ISD Board of Trustees at a meeting Monday night.

“After going over there and meeting the interim superintendent, the incoming superintendent and the principals and vice principals, it just seemed like a good fit,” he said. “I was really impressed with the town and the people.”

“It was a tough decision,” Cordell said this morning. “It was hard because of all the relationships I have built up through the years with the administration and the coaching staff.”

Cordell said he will really miss the relationships he has built up with the players, too.

These relationships was what attracted the Greenville board to Cordell, according to interim superintendent Buddy Echols.

“He talked about the relationships with the administration, the teachers, the parents and the players,” Echols said. “He talked about building character and good citizenship. He pointed out that if you build those traits in the players, then the winning will take care of itself.”

Echols, a '66 graduate of Gainesville High School and a former member of the Gainesville Leopards varsity football team, served as superintendent of Coppell ISD for 13 years before moving to Greenville recently. An athletic field is named for him in Coppell.

Echols said one should be impressed with Cordell's winning.

Cordell said though the Lions have been down for awhile, there is talent there.

“They were 1-9 two years ago and 3-7 last year,” he said. “But the talent is there to get better.”

Cordell said he will take the same system he used in Gainesville to Greenville.

“We will start out with it and then see what type of talent we have. It is adaptable enough that you can fit the talent to the system,” he said.

The former Gainesville coach said the Lions' sub-varsity teams have had some success.

“They were not world-beaters,” he said. “But there is talent there. When we (Gainesville) won the start title, our JV and freshmen teams didn't do that well.”

Another thing that attracted Cordell to the job is the chance to build up a program.

“Greenville is in the same district as Highland Park and Terrell,” he said, “so it is a tough district.”

Class 4A teams have the option of having spring practice or opt for the traditional two-a-days workouts.

“I am really not sure what we will do,” he said. “I'll get with my staff and take a look at the players and then decide. I'll get there right before we would need to start with we are going to have spring practice. So I will have to make the decision quickly.”