PDA

View Full Version : tennis ... not popular, but good stuff

wyliegrad04
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
wylie extended their region winning streak to 6 straight years yesterday ... knocked off Vernon 16-3. Domination was the word yesterday. One a couple of matches were really even close.

This coming weekend Vernon and Wylie will advance to State tournament in Waco ... Wylie is the 2 time defending state champ, vernon is the 2 time defending state runnerup. Lindale will be in the hunt before they move up to 4a ... kaufman, canyon .. two other decent teams but wylie beat canyon like 17-2 earlier this year.

should be wylie - vernon in the state final again. LETS GO DAWGS!!!

wyliegrad04
03-05-2006, 06:57 PM
also wanted to metion that wylie has been in the state FINALS for the past 6 years ... winning three times. pretty dominate stuff if you ask me.

any other sports team in ANY sport, ANY classification been in the state finals 6 years in a row? would be interesting to know ...

mrescape43
03-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I have seen Wylie and Canyon play personally and they are not in the same league. Wylie could probably play with most 4a schools except for Highland park. Here is a funny story. When Snyder played Wylie back in the fall we lost 19-0. My son called me at work and was as happy as if he had won because he lost in a tie break. He lost 1st set 2-6 and won the 2nd set 6-4. Will was the first Snyder player to take a set from a Wylie player in maybe 2 years. The top two teams in our region were Canyon and Levelland. I don't see either one of those teams doing much damage in Waco. Good Luck Wylie! Bring home another championship!

wyliegrad04
03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
escape -
although i don't play for wylie now, i did ... it was always fun playing snyder. i think tanner reed is still playing at HSU .. not sure exactly how much he is playing, but he was always a strong player for yall.

how did yall do in region? i don't ever remember levelland at state ... did they get first or second to canyon?

and yes, i would say canyon and wylie are in a different league ... i think wylie has been in a different league the past two and a half years against all but two 3A teams ... my senior year we won the state finals 10-3 ... rather boring if you ask me, haha. we only lost i think 6 or 7 matches that whole state tournament (4 rounds)

GetRDoneStangs
03-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Good luck Wylie and Vernon!

mrescape43
03-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
escape -
although i don't play for wylie now, i did ... it was always fun playing snyder. i think tanner reed is still playing at HSU .. not sure exactly how much he is playing, but he was always a strong player for yall.

how did yall do in region? i don't ever remember levelland at state ... did they get first or second to canyon?

and yes, i would say canyon and wylie are in a different league ... i think wylie has been in a different league the past two and a half years against all but two 3A teams ... my senior year we won the state finals 10-3 ... rather boring if you ask me, haha. we only lost i think 6 or 7 matches that whole state tournament (4 rounds)

Canyon #1
Levelland #2

Last I heard Tanner was #7 at HSU. He was playing doubles at tourneys and doing well.

When my son was a freshman which was 2003, that was the last year we defeated Wylie. That year Tanner was a Jr and played at #4. We lost 10-9 to Vernon at state tourney and went on to defeat Kaufman for 5th place. In the Vernon match we lost 4 3 set matches.
This years regional Tourney didn't go well at all. We defeated Seminole 17-2, then lost to Canyon maybe 16-3, and Fort Stockton in 3rd place match 12-7 or 13-6. Our girls were really weak this year. At regional tourney girls didn't take a match from Canyon and only 1 or 2 from Fort Stockton.
Snyder is only losing 2 boys and 2 girls (out of top 6) so next year should be a good year.

wyliegrad04
03-05-2006, 08:40 PM
snyder beat wylie in 2003?!? we are talking tennis right?

wyliegrad04
03-05-2006, 08:45 PM
escape ... just thought of something ... maybe the wylie JV lost to snyder's varsity? i know the varsity didn't loose to snyder in 2003

mrescape43
03-05-2006, 10:12 PM
It was varsity. That year we had our top boys team go to state in doubles and top girls team go in doubles and our #6 girl lost in a playback in singles to go to state. It was the strongest team Snyder has ever had. Our coach says it was the strongest team that he has ever coached.

Chief Ohera
03-05-2006, 10:21 PM
tennis is a great sport, so graceful and athletic, fun to watch and play, don't care for any tennis except for the professionals, and i beleive that winning the grand slam title is one of the hardest achievements in sports,
until next time. your buddy the chief

mrescape43
03-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
tennis is a great sport, so graceful and athletic, fun to watch and play, don't care for any tennis except for the professionals, and i beleive that winning the grand slam title is one of the hardest achievements in sports,
until next time. your buddy the chief

I think I can speak for many on this board with the following statement! Who gives a rats backside what you think!:D :D

wyliegrad04
03-05-2006, 10:33 PM
escape ... would be real interested in how you think you beat wylie? i could really care less ... but our records show the exact opposite, haha.

just wondering ...

mrescape43
03-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
snyder beat wylie in 2003?!? we are talking tennis right?
No Snyder did not beat Wylie in 2003

My sincerest apologies. I am opening mouth and inserting foot as I enjoy a good breakfast of my size 9 nike's as I type. 2003 was the last year we beat Canyon. Only losses that year for Varsity Tennis were to Vernon twice. 1 in finals at Wichita Falls Tourney 11-8 and 2nd was in 3rd round at State Tournament 10-9. Vernon went on to defeat Wylie in finals by a score of maybe 13-6. I misunderstood what the Coach was telling me after that tourney when he told me that for all practical purposes the state final was decided in the 3rd round between Snyder and Vernon. Anyway I did some research and couldn't find where we even played Wylie in 2003. If I am wrong on this I will scarf down another shoe

DaHop72
03-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43

My sincerest apologies. I am opening mouth and inserting foot as I enjoy a good breakfast of my size 9 nike's as I type. 2003 was the last year we beat Canyon. Only losses that year for Varsity Tennis were to Vernon twice. 1 in finals at Wichita Falls Tourney 11-8 and 2nd was in 3rd round at State Tournament 10-9. Vernon went on to defeat Wylie in finals by a score of maybe 13-6. I misunderstood what the Coach was telling me after that tourney when he told me that for all practical purposes the state final was decided in the 3rd round between Snyder and Vernon. Anyway I did some research and couldn't find where we even played Wylie in 2003. If I am wrong on this I will scarf down another shoe escape, when I had to eat crow a little Cattlemen's BBQ sauce sure made it easier.:D

mrescape43
03-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
escape, when I had to eat crow a little Cattlemen's BBQ sauce sure made it easier.:D

I'll have to give that a try!:D

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 10:21 AM

My sincerest apologies. I am opening mouth and inserting foot as I enjoy a good breakfast of my size 9 nike's as I type. 2003 was the last year we beat Canyon. Only losses that year for Varsity Tennis were to Vernon twice. 1 in finals at Wichita Falls Tourney 11-8 and 2nd was in 3rd round at State Tournament 10-9. Vernon went on to defeat Wylie in finals by a score of maybe 13-6. I misunderstood what the Coach was telling me after that tourney when he told me that for all practical purposes the state final was decided in the 3rd round between Snyder and Vernon. Anyway I did some research and couldn't find where we even played Wylie in 2003. If I am wrong on this I will scarf down another shoe

you are pretty close on the info. Snyder lost to Vernon in the quarterfinals at state (2nd round) because the semifinals in 2003 were Wylie vs Canyon with Wylie winning 10-9 and 3ADL's RMAC winning the last match for Wylie. The other semi was Vernon vs Lindale and Vernon pulled a huge upset beating Lindale 10-6. In the final Vernon officially beat Wylie 10-7 (it would end up 10-9 as Wylie was close to easily winning the other two matches still on) after having lost to Wylie at region 14-5. That's funny that the coach says the state title was pretty much between Snyder and Vernon. Not hating on Snyder, but since my sophmore year (97/98) Snyder hasn't had the team to even compete with Wylie or Vernon. They were good again in 2003 but would have lost to Wylie had they played.

Wylie and Vernon have played so many times (with Vernon winning the first 10 times they played in the 90's while Wylie was starting up their program) that it's taken a while for Wylie to get over the mental block of beating Vernon. Since 2000, their record is Wylie 7 (maybe 8) and Vernon 3. It must be noted however that 2 of Vernon's wins came in the state finals after Wylie had soundly defeated them in the regional finals. These days the mental block doesn't matter because the Vernon program has nobody left and while Wylie's program is WAY down from where it was in 99-02, the overall talent level of 3A has dropped way off and thus Wylie dominates.

mrescape43
03-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
you are pretty close on the info. Snyder lost to Vernon in the quarterfinals at state (2nd round) because the semifinals in 2003 were Wylie vs Canyon with Wylie winning 10-9 and 3ADL's RMAC winning the last match for Wylie. The other semi was Vernon vs Lindale and Vernon pulled a huge upset beating Lindale 10-6. In the final Vernon officially beat Wylie 10-7 (it would end up 10-9 as Wylie was close to easily winning the other two matches still on) after having lost to Wylie at region 14-5. That's funny that the coach says the state title was pretty much between Snyder and Vernon. Not hating on Snyder, but since my sophmore year (97/98) Snyder hasn't had the team to even compete with Wylie or Vernon. They were good again in 2003 but would have lost to Wylie had they played.

Wylie and Vernon have played so many times (with Vernon winning the first 10 times they played in the 90's while Wylie was starting up their program) that it's taken a while for Wylie to get over the mental block of beating Vernon. Since 2000, their record is Wylie 7 (maybe 8) and Vernon 3. It must be noted however that 2 of Vernon's wins came in the state finals after Wylie had soundly defeated them in the regional finals. These days the mental block doesn't matter because the Vernon program has nobody left and while Wylie's program is WAY down from where it was in 99-02, the overall talent level of 3A has dropped way off and thus Wylie dominates.

The first time that I saw Wylie play was the fall of 2003 and I knew we were in trouble. Snyder had graduated 5 of top 6 boys and 4 of top 6 girls from previous year and we didn't win a single match. Even our #1 boy and #1 girl (who were very good) didn't win. I think Tanner Reed split sets before losing to Matthews and Andra Dunham did the same losing to Briggs.

I have a question. What do you know about the #1 boy at Wylie? I read somewhere that he thinks he can take down 2 time state champion Luke Hawk.

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 10:47 AM
The first time that I saw Wylie play was the fall of 2003 and I knew we were in trouble. Snyder had graduated 5 or top 6 boys and 4 of top 6 girls from previous year and we didn't win a single match. Even our #1 boy and #1 girl (who were very good) didn't win. I think Tanner Reed split sets before losing to Matthews and Andra Dunham did the same losing to Briggs.

I have a question. What do you know about the #1 boy at Wylie? I read somewhere that he thinks he can take down 2 time state champion Luke Hawk.

Bumann is a great player. He is one of the top players in Texas and has represented Texas at the national level in many junior tourneys. He spent the past two years at a tennis in Academy in Florida playing tennis full time. I remember first seeing him play when he was 4 or 5 and we all knew that he was going to be good. He is definitely capable of beating Luke Hawk this year. Right now he is #15 in the state in Boys 16's and Luke Hawk is #15 in the state in Boys 18's. Yeah there is a difference between the level of play in 16's and 18's but Bumann is quite capable of beating him and has done so on numerous occassions.

mrescape43
03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Bumann is a great player. He is one of the top players in Texas and has represented Texas at the national level in many junior tourneys. He spent the past two years at a tennis in Academy in Florida playing tennis full time. I remember first seeing him play when he was 4 or 5 and we all knew that he was going to be good. He is definitely capable of beating Luke Hawk this year. Right now he is #15 in the state in Boys 16's and Luke Hawk is #15 in the state in Boys 18's. Yeah there is a difference between the level of play in 16's and 18's but Bumann is quite capable of beating him and has done so on numerous occassions.

This sounds like the match to watch at the district tourney.
Is Bumann a sophomore?

Snyder_TigerFan
03-06-2006, 11:02 AM
This sounds like the match to watch at the district tourney.
Is Bumann a sophomore?

Ya, I wouldn't mind checking that out myself. Where and when might they play?

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Ya, I wouldn't mind checking that out myself. Where and when might they play?

It will be at Rose Park some time in early April...then again in Odessa at the end of April...then in Austin @ Penick-Allison in early May!

RMAC
03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Buman can play. But I've played both of the guys and I think the Luke wins this one. And on a minor note, me and my Steers got 3rd in region for the 3rd year in a row. I hate being in the same region that has had the state champs and runners-up for the past 6 years. I think we'd go to state if we were in any other region. But oh well, that's just how it goes.

wyliegrad04
03-06-2006, 01:28 PM
chris and luke have had some great matches in the past couple of years ... the most recent being at ACC in January ... not a tournament or anything, just a practice match ... Luke won ... and he was still in "basketball mode" ... it will be very interesting in April/May to see what happens with those guys ...

personally I think RMAC could take em both ... but just my thoughts. haha.

have a great day

mrescape43
03-06-2006, 04:00 PM
My son told me today that he and 3 or 4 of the tennis players are thinking about traveling to Waco to watch Wylie play saturday. They think it will be Wylie and Lindale for finals. What is the scoop on Lindale?

Adidas410s
03-06-2006, 04:13 PM
My son told me today that he and 3 or 4 of the tennis players are thinking about traveling to Waco to watch Wylie play saturday. They think it will be Wylie and Lindale for finals. What is the scoop on Lindale?

Lindale usually has 1 or 2 good guys and girls...but not much else. Except for 1999 (their first year in 3A) when they beat Vernon in the semifinals under the UIL "rain delay format" where only 9 matches are played instead of 19...they have been Wylie and Vernon's "whipping boy" at state every year. If Wylie doesn't win at least 15 matches every round...I will be VERY surprised!!!

S-Town Tiger
03-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I talked to a coach when I went to tennis camp and he talked about our team in 2003. He even agreed that the match between Vernon and Snyder was the deciding match and it was a very close match. I am pretty sure the Lyndale coach said that but never or less they lost and had the oppertunity and lost. I am hopefully going to watch the Team Tennis Finals and I hope wylie brings one more home.