PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake Roundup time!

Eagle6Man
03-04-2006, 02:57 PM
I read this this morning and it sounds pretty interesting.
I think it's a good idea for research by the way.

http://mas.scripps.com/ABIL/2006/03/03/0304RattleSnakeLEDE_e.jpg
Above, using a pair of mirrors to reflect sunlight into a den, Cesar Ortiz, left, and Heath Cornutt hunt for rattlesnakes on Ortiz’s family’s ranch in Sweetwater. Ortiz said the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Round-Up is held before the beginning of Spring because rattlesnakes are less active in the colder months. Once the temperature increases, they become more dangerous.

Maybe I can make a trek out that way sometime and see what it's all about.

http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/fe_people/article/0,1874,ABIL_7933_4513129,00.html (http://)

Ready to Rattle
The hunt is on: It's that time again for Rattlesnake Round-Up

By Victor Cristales / Reporter-News
March 4, 2006

March marks the beginning of spring and the end of the line for thousands of rattlesnakes destined to end up on the chopping block at the annual Sweetwater Rattlesnake Round-Up.

The snakes don't volunteer for this assignment - nor do they get there following the enchanting tune of some pied piper. Almost all of the venomous critters are hunted and gathered by experienced snake catchers.

Cesar Ortiz and Heath Cornutt, two longtime friends from Sweetwater, say that they gained that experience from just growing up in West Texas.

''Being from this area you know they're around,'' Ortiz said during a recent hunt on his family's ranch in Sweetwater.

Ortiz and Cornutt both learned how to hunt and handle snakes from their fathers. Both men belong to the Sweetwater Jaycees, the group that organizes the Rattlesnake Round-Up to raise money for charitable causes.

''We went up there and helped him hunt snakes,'' Cornutt said, describing his early training with his father Dennis Cornutt, a Jaycee for 17 years. ''My older brother milked his first snake when he was 12 years old.''

After years of handling snakes, the men have gotten adept at it - but they are not professional exterminators.

''With the mild winters we have, we get calls throughout the year, people wanting to us to go remove snakes from underneath their houses,'' Ortiz said. ''All of us are employed and work, and we don't have a set schedule or any way that somebody can go and remove a snake from somebody's house.''

GetRDoneStangs
03-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I read this this morning and it sounds pretty interesting.
I think it's a good idea for research by the way.

Thanks for the remarks.. We have been doing research the past 12 -15 years on our event. In fact, Texas A & M was one of the first to help with it, and will be returning this year. We have had a research pit that we work with the Texas Parks and Wildlife to collect data on snakes that are brought in to the Roundup.

I think RangerMom is coming, so come on out and we can meet and greet at the weigh in pit!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Eagle6Man
03-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Thanks for the remarks.. We have been doing research the past 12 -15 years on our event. In fact, Texas A & M was one of the first to help with it, and will be returning this year. We have had a research pit that we work with the Texas Parks and Wildlife to collect data on snakes that are brought in to the Roundup.

I think RangerMom is coming, so come on out and we can meet and greet at the weigh in pit!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

It seems like I remember reading somewhere that much of the research is accomplished by taking the venom and working that into a medicene of some kind. I'm interested to learn more about that. Thanks for the heads-up.

GetRDoneStangs
03-04-2006, 04:02 PM
FYI

The website for The Roundup..may give a liitle more info if u want. It ain't perfect.. but we are all doing it for the community and the pay....well, we are all doing it for the community
www.rattlesnakeroundup.com

injuredinmelee
03-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I love the round up. I need someone to hook me up on a hunt this year. Any of you Sweetwater folks that can help with that i would appreciate it.

Eagle6Man
03-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I love the round up. I need someone to hook me up on a hunt this year. Any of you Sweetwater folks that can help with that i would appreciate it.

I think GetRdone Stangs is working on a secret project, Injured.

And with RM in on the deal, maybe there is a snake MNG in the works?

injuredinmelee
03-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Count me in. You have to show up at the perfect time too to get in as a judge on the BBQ and Chili cookoff. Us fat boys are all about that business.

Eagle6Man
03-04-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm thinking this thing is sounding better all the time!!

:thinking: :thinking:

sinfan75
03-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Down in these parts we have the rattlesnake races in Old San Patricio and I think a week later is the round-up in Freer. Both are a blast to go to.

Fish's mom
03-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Three years ago, I was bit by a rattlesnake at work, Thank God it was an older one. I have now got a different respect for this animal. HAHA Thank God for anti venom. (in fact about 16 vials) But I can honestly truthfully tell you that I'd rather have another kid then go through that again. Hurt like hell, and 5 days in hospital . But I really want some necklace or earrings with rattles, after we found it, animal control wouldn't let me keep it. And all I wanted was the rattles because I felt I earned then. But I do believe that bites are rare and usually only bite when scared or surprised. So netherless to say, I was scared and surprised as him.:eek:

MHSvarsity2007
03-05-2006, 11:01 PM
we had 2 snakes in our house last year...idk if they were rattlesnakes or not, but they looks very close to rattlesnakes. i was too busy crying and screaming hysterically to actually notice. :eek:

Fish's mom
03-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
we had 2 snakes in our house last year...idk if they were rattlesnakes or not, but they looks very close to rattlesnakes. i was too busy crying and screaming hysterically to actually notice. :eek:

Rat snakes look alot like even rattle their tails even tho they don't have any. It's one of their defenses. Kinda like a trash talker, but don't have the stuff to back it up. They're are actually harmless and do a grat job of rodent control. Just most people don't want to that close to one to see what kind it is. HAHAH:thinking:

MHSvarsity2007
03-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
Rat snakes look alot like even rattle their tails even tho they don't have any. It's one of their defenses. Kinda like a trash talker, but don't have the stuff to back it up. They're are actually harmless and do a grat job of rodent control. Just most people don't want to that close to one to see what kind it is. HAHAH:thinking:

haha i dont care what kind of snake it is...i dont want any kind of snake around me!!! lol

Fish's mom
03-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
haha i dont care what kind of snake it is...i dont want any kind of snake around me!!! lol

LOL ;) :) :)

clayton7
04-04-2006, 07:33 AM
All sounds crazy.