PDA

View Full Version : Young calls Wonderlic reports 'disrespectful'

Maroon87
03-03-2006, 06:37 PM
ESPN.com news services

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- For nearly a week, University of Texas quarterback Vince Young has had his intelligence discussed, dissected and demeaned in the wake of reported Wonderlic test scores at the NFL scouting combine.

Young, who was honored Friday at the 69th annual Maxwell Award ceremonies, would not answer specific questions about the Wonderlic test but did acknowledge how upsetting the reports have been.

"It hurts a little bit, and I think it's very disrespectful. But it's cool, it's cool," Young said. "I know what I can do, and I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing."

Young's agent, Major Adams, brushed off criticism of Young, saying some of it was expected.

"People are going to try to bring him down between the Rose Bowl and the draft day," Adams said. "They will try to take shots at him, and he hasn't done anything wrong, so we just take it with a grain of salt."

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Young led Texas to a 41-38 Rose Bowl victory over USC in college football's national championship game. He could be a potential No. 1 overall pick by the Houston Texans in next month's NFL draft.

"A rumor is a rumor to me, it's just like high school, they say you kissed some girl, but you really didn't, so that's how I feel about it," said Young, referring to the reported Wonderlic test scores.

Young has kept his sense of humor, and relied on advice from players like Steve McNair, who also faced his share of doubters coming out of college. He's also gotten the support of reigning NFL MVP Shaun Alexander, a fellow honoree at Friday's Maxwell Awards.

"Tests are tests to me," Alexander said. "The key thing with any football player is, what can he do when he gets on the field."

Scouting directors around the league have emphasized the Wonderlic is just a small part of their overall evaluation of Young, and are giving him plenty of tests of their own.

"I don't really care about the criticism, because I'm pretty much used to it," young said. "There's always something about Vince. ... I feel like I've overcome all of that, turned out pretty good, so I want to continue to do that in the NFL as well."

ESPN reporter Rachel Nichols and information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

mrescape43
03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
VY is a really talented
(equal to forest gump in intellegence) athlete!

GreenMonster
03-04-2006, 08:16 AM
The reporter should have fired back, "How do you spell disrespectful?" with a very perplexed look on his face.

Gobbla2001
03-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The reporter should have fired back, "How do you spell disrespectful?" with a very perplexed look on his face.

Then Vince should have fired back: "I can't spell it, but it's okay, I make more money than you... People aren't going to pay to watch the spellin' bee unless their kids are there..."

Vince was disrespected... but as he says, he's shakin' them haters off, foooo!!!

sinton66
03-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I think if this crud causes VY to sink down to round 7 or so, somebody's gonna make a real steal of a deal. And, he just might make people regret passing him up, kinda like Jones (or at least Dallas fans) regretting passing up Randy Moss.

lepfan
03-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
VY is a really talented
(equal to forest gump in intellegence) athlete! Very well put. (j/k of course)

IMO his agent should have better prepared him for this test he knew would be coming.

sinton66
03-04-2006, 01:48 PM
That's just it, bet his agent DIDN'T know. He's a family attorney or something with no NFL experience at all. (or so I've read).

Ranger Mom
03-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I still don't see what the point of the test is in the first place!

Gobbla2001
03-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I still don't see what the point of the test is in the first place!

Me either... I 'wonder'... bet they do too since they named it Wonderlic...

sinton66
03-04-2006, 01:52 PM
From what I've read, it's supposed to be some kind of psychological "personality" test.

BigTex
03-04-2006, 06:41 PM
This comment has nothing to do with Vince Young, but I don't think Dallas messed up by passing on Randy Moss. He is a cancer. He may be a great athlete but not a great person. Vince Young seems to be a great guy with talent to burn. He has plenty of class and brains to handle the NFL.

Rabbit'93
03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
With all do respect....how was he disrepected? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
Don't get me wrong. If the boy can sling a football, then the boy can sling a football. You don't need a test for that.

66 Teams would be foolish if they let him slip to 7 or 8.

sinton66
03-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, it turned out that the report that he scored a 6 on the test was incorrect. I assume that's what he's talking about being disrespectful. I can't say as I blame him for that.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Wonderlic Test

The Wonderlic Personnel Test (often referred to as Wunderlich) is an intelligence test primarily known for being administered to prospective players in the National Football League since the 1970s. The Wonderlic is a twelve-minute, fifty-question exam to assess aptitude for learning a job and adapting to solve problems for employees in a wide range of occupations. The score is calculated as the number of correct answers given in the allotted time. A score of 20 is intended to indicate average intelligence (corresponding to an intelligence quotient of 100; to convert scores IQ = 2WPT + 60). It is rumored that at least one player has scored a 1 on the test.

Famous scores
Pat McInally, a wide receiver/punter from Harvard University who played for the Cincinnati Bengals from 1977 to 1985, is the only player known to have scored a perfect 50. In 2005, it was rumored that Ryan Fitzpatrick, a quarterback also from Harvard, scored a perfect 50, but his actual accomplishment was to finish the test in 9 minutes with a score of 38 — the most impressive speed ever seen at the NFL Combine. Fitzpatrick was drafted in 2005 by the St. Louis Rams — referenced in The Wall Street Journal (September 30, 2005) as the NFL's Smartest Team.

Some rumored, but unconfirmed, scores of other NFL players and draft candidates:

Pat McInally, punter — 50
Mike Mamula, defensive end — 49
Kevin Curtis, wide receiver — 48
Adam Cox, quarterback — 43
Alex Smith, quarterback — 40
Brian Griese, quarterback — 39
Eli Manning, quarterback — 39
Akili Smith, quarterback — 37 (suspected of cheating; scored 15 on first attempt)
Matt Darby, quarterback — 36
Matt Leinart, quarterback — 35
Tom Brady, quarterback — 33
Steve Young, quarterback — 33
John Elway, quarterback — 30
Troy Aikman, quarterback — 29
Peyton Manning, quarterback — 28
Ryan Leaf, quarterback — 27
Ben Roethlisberger, quarterback — 25
David Carr, quarterback — 24
Brett Favre, quarterback — 22
Michael Vick, quarterback — 20
Vinny Testaverde, quarterback — 18
Antwaan Randle El, wide receiver (former college quarterback) — 17
Aaron Brooks, quarterback — 16
Dan Marino, quarterback — 16
Vince Young, quarterback — 16 (previously rumored to have scored 6)[1]
Randall Cunningham, quarterback — 15
Donovan McNabb, quarterback — 12
Jeff George, quarterback — 10
[edit]
Average scores
This assessment roughly corresponds to the averages revealed, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, by an NFL personnel man in Paul Zimmerman's "The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football," which are:

Offensive tackles: 26
Centers: 25
Quarterbacks: 24
Guards: 23
Tight Ends: 22
Safeties: 19
Middle linebackers: 19
Cornerbacks: 18
Wide receivers: 17
Fullbacks: 17
Halfbacks: 16
The average scores in other professions are:

Chemist: 31
Programmer: 29
Newswriter: 26
Sales: 24
Bank teller: 22
Clerical Worker: 21
Security Guard: 17
[edit]
Sample questions
A sample Wonderlic Test posted by ESPN showed questions that varied in difficulty:

Q: The ninth month of the year is:
Pick One: October, January, June, September, or May.
Q. In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in smaller type?[2]
:D :D :nerd:

SintonFan_inAustin
03-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Well, it turned out that the report that he scored a 6 on the test was incorrect. I assume that's what he's talking about being disrespectful. I can't say as I blame him for that.

he did score a 6 from reports but took it again because he didnt take it seriously the first time:D

sinton66
03-04-2006, 09:25 PM
It was reported that the "6" was not correct. That's all I know.;)

SintonFan_inAustin
03-04-2006, 09:27 PM
:) well he did score the same as Dan Marino and we all know he could read defenses quickly as he was hard to get sacked.

sinton66
03-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't think he'll be required to solve any algebraic equations or come up with a cure for cancer on the football field, so this test isn't really relevant anyway.:D