PDA

View Full Version : School suspends 20 over MySpace posting

NateDawg39
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Calif. middle-school student faces expulsion over alleged threat on Web site

COSTA MESA, Calif. - A middle school student faces expulsion for allegedly posting graphic threats against a classmate on the popular MySpace.com Web site, and 20 of his classmates were suspended for viewing the posting, school officials said.

Police are investigating the boy’s comments about his classmate at TeWinkle Middle School as a possible hate crime, and the district is trying to expel him.

According to three parents of the suspended students, the invitation to join the boy’s MySpace group gave no indication of the alleged threat. They said the MySpace social group name’s was “I hate (girl’s name)” and included an expletive and an anti-Semitic reference.

A later message to group members directed them to a nondescript folder, which included a posting that allegedly asked: “Who here in the (group name) wants to take a shotgun and blast her in the head over a thousand times?”

Because the creator of a posting can change its content at any time, it’s unclear how much the students saw.

“With what the students can get into using the technology we are all concerned about it,” Bob Metz, the district assistant superintendent of secondary education, said Wednesday.

Metz said the students’ suspensions in mid-February were appropriate because the incident involved student safety. Some parents however questioned whether the school overstepped its bounds by disciplining students for actions that occurred on personal computers, at home and after school hours.

CHS_CG
03-03-2006, 11:04 AM
i have got to keep my mouth shut on this issue!

pero chato
03-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Anyone who attends a school named "TeWinkle" deserves to be expelled.

NateDawg39
03-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I knew someone would have an opinion that wouldnt be posted directly!!!! HAHAHAHA I knew it thats why I put this thread on here!!

CenTexSports
03-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Stupid kids!

STANG RED
03-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by pero chato

Ha Ha, yea no kidding!
I wonder what their mascot is called? Lets all see what we can come up with.
Heres one:
The "TeWinkle Twinkle Toes". That ought ta strike fear in opponents.

NateDawg39
03-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Stupid kids! Id say stupid adults because they are the ones in jail now..hehehe

kepdawg
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Ha Ha, yea no kidding!
I wonder what their mascot is called? Lets all see what we can come up with.
Heres one:
The "TeWinkle Twinkle Toes". That ought ta strike fear in opponents.

They are the TeWinkle Trojans

NateDawg39
03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
They are the TeWinkle Trojans hehehe I still have funny jokes in my head...hehehe

GreenMonster
03-03-2006, 12:10 PM
OK, soap box time. Schools have no business disciplining children for off campus exploits beyond taking away extra curricular activities. As a taxpayer my children have every right to a free education regardless of their stupidity off campus. That right can to a free education, IMO, can only be taken away for on campus incidents. Schools are too damn sissified to take a 2X4 and beat kid's butt and send him/her back to class. Get CPS out of the schools and stop worrying about Lil' Johnny's feelings and force him to sit quiet in class and learn something. OK, I feel better now. :)

mustang04
03-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
OK, soap box time. Schools have no business disciplining children for off campus exploits beyond taking away extra curricular activities. As a taxpayer my children have every right to a free education regardless of their stupidity off campus. That right can to a free education, IMO, can only be taken away for on campus incidents. Schools are too damn sissified to take a 2X4 and beat kid's butt and send him/her back to class. Get CPS out of the schools and stop worrying about Lil' Johnny's feelings and force him to sit quiet in class and learn something. OK, I feel better now. :)
Im with YOU.....man i rememebr in 5th grade....i seriously got licks every week in my school, most the time it wasnt even my fault, but we wont go there cuz they didnt even hurt compared to my dads and it was all a joke, but i DO firmly believe that the reason why you see crap going on in the schools today is cuz the LACK of disciplining...its BULLSH*T that they call giving kids some good licks "abuse"....the whole country is sissified and is trying to please everyone and it ticks me off watching it being a young adult cuz im the one who is gonna reap the crap when it hits the fan while im an adult w/ kids.....im moving to Fiji:D

CHS_CG
03-03-2006, 12:19 PM

you took the words right outta my mouth! I could post on my myspace page a picture of me holding a beer.. im not 21.. but you dont have proof i am drinkin it.. just holding it.. it could be the person's next to me.. i could be holding it while they are takin a piss.. its totally bogus!

mustang04
03-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
you took the words right outta my mouth! I could post on my myspace page a picture of me holding a beer.. im not 21.. but you dont have proof i am drinkin it.. just holding it.. it could be the person's next to me.. i could be holding it while they are takin a piss.. its totally bogus! well.....even tho u couldnt qualify for MIC, that can still get you an MIP just for holding it

CHS_CG
03-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
well.....even tho u couldnt qualify for MIC, that can still get you an MIP just for holding it

thats true.. ok bad example but you get what i am talkin about..

zeus63
03-03-2006, 12:25 PM
We need to go back to the days of every teacher having a paddle in thier room and being given the option of using corporal punishment at will. I gaurantee you, when I was in school, this was very effective. But, living in the "I'll sue you as soon as I get a chance society" that we live in, schools are afraid of children and thier parents. It's sad that instead of parents saying, go ahead and take care of it. They say if you touch my kid I'll sue the school and then turn around and take the kid home and beat em anyways.

sahen
03-03-2006, 12:28 PM
yah.....they should sue for censorship or something....we jsut got through getting pissed at google and some other web companies for helping china censor so y let our own schools do it...the problem is there prolly should be something done about people saying on a webpage that they want to blow someone's head off but not by the school, which makes me wonder, what r these teachers doing surfing myspace all the time or something? ***?.....anyway....as far as tewinkle as the name of the school, its in cali...go figure....though i'd figure cali would be the last place to censor someone as well....

Bullaholic
03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
O.k., here's my .02 on this one----

Who among you wants to sit on any elected body which allows any violent threat, however harmlessly intended, to turn into reality? You think you could deal with it "after the fact" ? Our society has become more and violent with just such threats as these translating into real-life tragedies. We, as responsible adults, cannot treat any instances such as this with less than "zero" tolerence. The "price" is just too potentially high. Ask the Columbine parents.

AP Panther Fan
03-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Who among you wants to sit on any elected body which allows any violent threat, however harmlessly intended, to turn into reality? You think you could deal with it "after the fact" ? Our society has become more and violent with just such threats as these translating into real-life tragedies. We, as responsible adults, cannot treat any instances such as this with less than "zero" tolerence. The "price" is just too potentially high. Ask the Columbine parents.

Agreed, but perhaps the punishment should be limited to the individual making the threats rather than the twenty or so kids that went to "his space".

The whole MySpace issue concerns me as a parent. The site owner has created a hugely successful monster in my opinion. Just as we have rules on the Downlow and folks to enforce them, they should think twice about doing the same. I have checked and re-checked my 13 year olds space, but still fear something can slip through. I don't want to take away her personal freedoms, but then again, many kids aren't smart enough not to post their address, phone number and other personal information. It is risky business unless someone oversees the website diligently. You can bet they won't feel responsible if, or I should say...when a child gets abducted.:(

STANG RED
03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

My thoughts exactly Bull. Reality is reality. We cant afford to look at the world with rose colored glasses anymore. All the warning signs were there before the Columbine tragedy, but no one stuck their neck out and did anything about it. Look what happened.
In this case, these school officials couldnt afford to just ignore the warning signs.
However, they may have overreacted a bit, in respect to the students that merely went to the sight.

Bullaholic
03-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Agreed, but perhaps the punishment should be limited to the individual making the threats rather than the twenty or so kids that went to "his space".

The whole MySpace issue concerns me as a parent. The site owner has created a hugely successful monster in my opinion. Just as we have rules on the Downlow and folks to enforce them, they should think twice about doing the same. I have checked and re-checked my 13 year olds space, but still fear something can slip through. I don't want to take away her personal freedoms, but then again, many kids aren't smart enough not to post their address, phone number and other personal information. It is risky business unless someone oversees the website diligently. You can bet they won't feel responsible if, or I should say...when a child gets abducted.:(

I agree with your reply, AP. I think it is appropriate to "cast" the "fishing net" over the entire "school" and then punish severely only those making the actual threats.

mrescape43
03-03-2006, 01:28 PM

Well Said!!!:clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I know that when Sweetwater had their big assembly on this, there were lots of "pages" from students myspace sites that were printed out as "evidence".

From what I understood, they were targeting (for lack of a better word) those students who had signed a pledge not to drink or do drugs while participating in extra-carricular activities.

They had pictures, comments about parties, etc. and the kids who had violated their pledge were punished.

Now my question to yall is....do you agree or disagree??

3afan
03-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
We need to go back to the days of every teacher having a paddle in thier room and being given the option of using corporal punishment at will........

you're kidding, right?

NateDawg39
03-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I know that when Sweetwater had their big assembly on this, there were lots of "pages" from students myspace sites that were printed out as "evidence".

From what I understood s that is they were targeting (for lack of a better word) those students who had signed a pledge not to drink or do drugs while participating in extra-carricular activities.

They had pictures, comments about parties, etc. and the kids who had violated their pledge were punished.

Now my question to yall is....do you agree or disagree?? Oh man I think that they should know better than to rely on a piece of paper. Yet they should be punished for drinking and drugs. I dont know if an assembly is the "proper" way of doing things.

Ranger Mom
03-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Oh man I think that they should know better than to rely on a piece of paper. Yet they should be punished for drinking and drugs. I dont know if an assembly is the "proper" way of doing things.

Im sure I don't have all of they story. I am just going by what I had heard from some of the Swater students. Maybe one of them can tell me a little more about what went on.

Ranger Mom
03-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Just received a PM.....

No students were punished, they were just given warnings and reminded of the no drinking/smoking pact that each athlete signs.

District303aPastPlayer
03-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Just received a PM.....

No students were punished, they were just given warnings and reminded of the no drinking/smoking pact that each athlete signs.

not saying that i condone underage drinking/smoking but if these activities are done outside of the schools grounds, and by signing that paper is the only way to participate in athletics, dont you think some kids who do it anyway, and are just gifted athletically will sign just to play sports?

zeus63
03-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
you're kidding, right?

No, I'm not. The problem is that kids are not afraid to get in trouble anymore, there are no real consequences. OOOOHHH!!! NOOO!!!! I have to go to ISS for 3 days or get suspended. Big deal, kids that receive these kinds of punishment WANT IT!! Because if they are suspended or put in ISS they don't have to do anything. At the school I work at, all parents sign a consent form allowing corporal punishment. Compared to some of the school systems I have seen recently, this is one of the best on discipline. Corporal punishment has worked for a very long time and has been very effective. So, why is now looked down upon? Some people say that it is cruel to punish a child that way. I say, BS. It didn't hurt any of us growing up, and I'm quite sure that it won't hurt any of them. The case that started this thread is a perfect example of why this works. Someone said that school should not have gotten involved. I'm glad they did. Whether it happened at school or not, they did it for the safety of everyone at the school. Think about it, where do you think that the most likely place that a violent act of this nature is going to take place (especially considering the age of the children involved), that's right SCHOOL!!! I'm sorry, but I don't want to be one of the people in the cross fire when something like this goes down. They discovered who the students were, they should have pulled them down in the office and busted their butts. It would have curbed the activity on the computer and let those kids know that they were being watched, thus reducing the chance of the event escalating any furthur. And yes, it would have had an overflow effect out of school too, because kids are less likely to do somehting like this outside of a school setting.

Bullaholic
03-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Just received a PM.....

You sure are making us have to think a lot on a Friday, RM. :D

IMHO, it is never correct to condone the breaking of a pledge. However, when we are issued a driver's license, we all pledge to follow the traffic laws of the Texas DPS---and I would guess that more than a couple of us have been guilty of breaking this pledge. In this case, I think the punishment "fits" the "crime". I think students would probably do better with pledges if they were allowed to draft the text of their own pledges independently without adult interference, but subject to adult final approval. Further, the students could then discuss whether or not they freely wanted to sign such a pledge after discussion with their peers of the ramiifications for violation.

NateDawg39
03-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I know of a time when a large group of athletes were caught at a party and the Coaches "punished" them for just being there. Thats how it should be handled. Miss a game or two NO matter who you are or how good, and have "extra long" workouts.

mrescape43
03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
If it doesn't happen on school grounds then they have no right to get involved. I am not condoning any of the activities that are mentioned, just not their business off school grounds. I'll take care of my own.

PurpleFreddy
03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
If the computers (and internet access) are provided by parents and the parents are not monitoring the students' online activities, I would say that the parents have some degree of culpability.

As a high school teacher, kids just dare me to challenge them, even if the rules are clearly spelled out. From dress code to cell phones to subordination. Too many obviously have no one to fear. And fear was a good thing when I was in high school. I also had an internalized fear of failing or disappointing myself.

Parents think giving these kids $200 cell phones, $400 iPods and $2,000 computers is "parenting." It's not. It's a Santa Claus syndrome. Too many parents want to be their child's "friend" in lieu of being a parent.

Here's a hint: As a parent, you don't always have to "relate" to your kids. I see moms dress just as trashy as their daughters. Dads who buy their children's affection. They think that being involved in every activity and sport means being a good parent. It doesn't.

In fact, throughout my public school life I was paddled, spanked at home, and my dad came to only one football game. Was I "scarred" for life? Heck no.

DaHop72
03-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
If the computers (and internet access) are provided by parents and the parents are not monitoring the students' online activities, I would say that the parents have some degree of culpability.

As a high school teacher, kids just dare me to challenge them, even if the rules are clearly spelled out. From dress code to cell phones to subordination. Too many obviously have no one to fear. And fear was a good thing when I was in high school. I also had an internalized fear of failing or disappointing myself.

Parents think giving these kids $200 cell phones, $400 iPods and $2,000 computers is "parenting." It's not. It's a Santa Claus syndrome. Too many parents want to be their child's "friend" in lieu of being a parent.

Here's a hint: As a parent, you don't always have to "relate" to your kids. I see moms dress just as trashy as their daughters. Dads who buy their children's affection. They think that being involved in every activity and sport means being a good parent. It doesn't.

In fact, throughout my public school life I was paddled, spanked at home, and my dad came to only one football game. Was I "scarred" for life? Heck no. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
03-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I know of a time when a large group of athletes were caught at a party and the Coaches "punished" them for just being there. Thats how it should be handled. Miss a game or two NO matter who you are or how good, and have "extra long" workouts.

I know that is how Greenwood handles it. Back in the 2001 season, the QB and a couple of others were caught at a party where alcohol was, they were suspended from the next weeks game and their workouts that week were a LOT more streneous than the other players who were there (or didn't get caught)!

I had no problem with the punishment when it was handed down! IMO, if you sign that piece of paper (whether you plan to abide by it or not) and you get caught...you gotta pay the piper!

SintonFan
03-03-2006, 11:50 PM
No, I'm not. The problem is that kids are not afraid to get in trouble anymore, there are no real consequences. OOOOHHH!!! NOOO!!!! I have to go to ISS for 3 days or get suspended. Big deal, kids that receive these kinds of punishment WANT IT!! Because if they are suspended or put in ISS they don't have to do anything. At the school I work at, all parents sign a consent form allowing corporal punishment. Compared to some of the school systems I have seen recently, this is one of the best on discipline. Corporal punishment has worked for a very long time and has been very effective. So, why is now looked down upon? Some people say that it is cruel to punish a child that way. I say, BS. It didn't hurt any of us growing up, and I'm quite sure that it won't hurt any of them. The case that started this thread is a perfect example of why this works. Someone said that school should not have gotten involved. I'm glad they did. Whether it happened at school or not, they did it for the safety of everyone at the school. Think about it, where do you think that the most likely place that a violent act of this nature is going to take place (especially considering the age of the children involved), that's right SCHOOL!!! I'm sorry, but I don't want to be one of the people in the cross fire when something like this goes down. They discovered who the students were, they should have pulled them down in the office and busted their butts. It would have curbed the activity on the computer and let those kids know that they were being watched, thus reducing the chance of the event escalating any furthur. And yes, it would have had an overflow effect out of school too, because kids are less likely to do somehting like this outside of a school setting.

We need to go back to the days of every teacher having a paddle in thier room and being given the option of using corporal punishment at will. I gaurantee you, when I was in school, this was very effective. But, living in the "I'll sue you as soon as I get a chance society" that we live in, schools are afraid of children and thier parents. It's sad that instead of parents saying, go ahead and take care of it. They say if you touch my kid I'll sue the school and then turn around and take the kid home and beat em anyways.

In fact, throughout my public school life I was paddled, spanked at home, and my dad came to only one football game. Was I "scarred" for life? Heck no.
I totally agree with all of yall. It's good to see that what was once "common" common sense is still around.
Kudos to you guys!:clap: :clap: :clap:

mrescape43
03-03-2006, 11:57 PM
I know that is how Greenwood handles it. Back in the 2001 season, the QB and a couple of others were caught at a party where alcohol was, they were suspended from the next weeks game and their workouts that week were a LOT more streneous than the other players who were there (or didn't get caught)!

I had no problem with the punishment when it was handed down! IMO, if you sign that piece of paper (whether you plan to abide by it or not) and you get caught...you gotta pay the piper!

We had several players caught at a party where alcohol was involved and all were suspended 1 game plus they had to run 45 miles around the track to be reinstated.

LH Panther Mom
03-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Was I "scarred" for life? Heck no.
We all know that hanging out G2 is what did that. :D ;)

chs_#75
03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
are you kidding me??? say it was your kid up there... and i posted how many of you wnat to shoot them in teh face 1k times??? i bet you would feel totally different... Im in school... ***?? you are saying that this is okay?? whoever condones this behavior is a joke to society...

sinton66
03-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Are you sure you actually read this thread? I don't think anyone here was condoning the act.

GreenMonster
03-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
We had several players caught at a party where alcohol was involved and all were suspended 1 game plus they had to run 45 miles around the track to be reinstated. I do not know what the current punishment is for this but, in my day in school there was no automatic suspension. We were given the Coors Light Fun Run. 24 miles long, one mile for every beer in a case. The deal was you had 5 school days to complete your run or you were booted out of athletics and you could not participate in any practices or games until you finished. There was an additional stipulation that said if you missed more than 1 practice due to the Fun Run then you were out for that week. So basically, if you wanted to play on Friday you had one day to cover all 24 miles. No one ever made all 24 in one day but there were several that tried. Coach would just pull his old pickup up on the hill over-looking the track, turn on his headlights, and watch em turn circles till they gave up.

TheDOCTORdre
03-05-2006, 02:46 AM
this reminds me of a story i heard concerning myspace a couple of days ago. Apperently here in Odessa a student from one of the junior highs made a threat on a fellow classmates life over myspace, when that student went to school the next day a friend of the student whose life was threatened went up to the the student who made the death threat and told them that if they made a threat like that again they would beat them up. The kid that made the threat to beat this student up got suspended while nothing could be done to the other student since the mysoace threat was not made on the campus

NateDawg39
03-05-2006, 03:23 AM
WOO HOO!!!! My first really big thread!!!

District303aPastPlayer
03-05-2006, 03:32 AM
WOO HOO!!!! My first really big thread!!!

congrats... ive had a couple in my day

sinton66
03-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
this reminds me of a story i heard concerning myspace a couple of days ago. Apperently here in Odessa a student from one of the junior highs made a threat on a fellow classmates life over myspace, when that student went to school the next day a friend of the student whose life was threatened went up to the the student who made the death threat and told them that if they made a threat like that again they would beat them up. The kid that made the threat to beat this student up got suspended while nothing could be done to the other student since the mysoace threat was not made on the campus

Even though it was done on myspace, this is considered a "terroristic threat" and can be prosecuted. Instead of threatening the kid in person, it should have been handed over to the authorities.

clayton7
04-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by pero chato

Wow, talk about all remaining self-esteem gone after attending that school.