PDA

View Full Version : Wood Bat Classic

Phantom Stang
03-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Six teams see action on Classic's first day

Although host team Sweetwater starts on Friday, half of the 12 teams - three in Pool A and three in Pool B - who are entered in the Wood Bat Classic are scheduled to see action today as the annual baseball tournament begins its three-day run at Newman Park. The event will feature pool play until Saturday, when the winners will compete for the overall title.

Clyde, Colorado City and Brownwood played today's three Pool A games at 8:30 a.m., 10:45 and 1 p.m. Pool B action was to begin at 3:15 p.m. with Post vs. Coahoma, followed by Post vs. Wylie at 5:30 p.m. and Coahoma vs. Wylie at 8. Friday's action begins with Class C pool games: Merkel vs. Lubbock Roosevelt at 8:30 a.m., Merkel vs. Trinity Christian at 10:45 a.m. and Lubbock Roosevelt vs. Trinity Christian at 1 p.m.

Pool D completes Friday's schedule, starting with Lamesa vs. Pecos at 3:15 p.m. Sweetwater plays Lamesa at 5:30 p.m., then plays Pecos in the nightcap at 8 p.m.

Seven games are on tap Saturday starting at 8 a.m. The A and B pool winners meet at 4 p.m. and the C and D pool winners at 6 p.m. The two survivors play for the title at 8:30 p.m.

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter

MHSvarsity2007
03-03-2006, 12:11 AM
w00t...go merkel :clap:

GetRDoneStangs
03-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Ah.... The sound of the wood..... bat

Is much different than than the sound of ...u know... Al U Min i Mum (Aluminum)
:wave:

MHSvarsity2007
03-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Ah.... The sound of the wood..... bat

Is much different than than the sound of ...u know... Al U Min i Mum (Aluminum)
:wave:

hahaha

GetRDoneStangs
03-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
hahaha

It is like that in golf as well?

There is a destinctive sound, wether it is Baseball or Golf''''

You can tell what kind of club they are swinging..

I like a wood bat and a Big ol Metal Driver..

"I need all the help I can get!"

BreckTxLonghorn
03-03-2006, 01:59 AM
I've never heard of this tournament before (of course, I never followed HS baseball too much).

Still, it sounds like a great idea, a weekend of wood bats in high school. Does it draw in a lot of spectators?

Adidas410s
03-03-2006, 02:52 AM
at first I thought this was a crafty title talking about the World Baseball Classic...which is showing the Korea vs Chinese Taipei game on Tape Delay from the Tokyo Dome!!!

GetRDoneStangs
03-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I've never heard of this tournament before (of course, I never followed HS baseball too much).

Still, it sounds like a great idea, a weekend of wood bats in high school. Does it draw in a lot of spectators?

Not a "whole lot", but it depends on the weather. It seems to get real cold or raining every year, but that is life in the spring!

it is a neat tourny., I think Sweetwater provides each teams with bats sinse it is probabaly the only time they use them.

3afan
03-03-2006, 09:39 AM
dumb question --- do they really use wood bats or is it just a title? and if they DO use wood bats, does the tournament provide them or are teams responsible for their own ($!)?

Wtx_coach
03-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Yes Tournament does provide the bats to the team. Its going to be a good tournament from what I hear. Pecos will win their bracket, whats yalls predictions?

STANG RED
03-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
dumb question --- do they really use wood bats or is it just a title? and if they DO use wood bats, does the tournament provide them or are teams responsible for their own ($!)?

Yep, they only use wood bats. Sweetwater supplies the bats for teams that dont have any.
Its a great tourny. And now that the fences have been moved back at the ballpark, there wont be many home runs, so it will really come down to good fielding, and making good throws. Its also funny to watch these young mens reactions to breaking or cracking a bat in their hands. If you've never experienced it, it stings like hell. But its a sweet feeling when you really hit one in the sweet spot.

Theres alot of good teams in the tourny this year. It ought to be a real good one.

Wtx_coach
03-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Keep us updated on the tournament, what were yesterdays results!!

STANG RED
03-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Wtx_coach
Keep us updated on the tournament, what were yesterdays results!!

I got home late yesterday, so I didnt go check it out. But I plan on going this evening. I'll give an update tonight, after I get back home.

MHSvarsity2007
03-03-2006, 12:05 PM
It is like that in golf as well?

There is a destinctive sound, wether it is Baseball or Golf''''

You can tell what kind of club they are swinging..

I like a wood bat and a Big ol Metal Driver..

"I need all the help I can get!"

lol im not sure you can tell every club...but you can probably tell a few lol

CHSWR07
03-03-2006, 01:09 PM
CLYDES GONNA WIN IT EASILY LOL JK BUT IT OUGHTA BE GOOD good luck to all teams

GetRDoneStangs
03-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Scores so far:

Pool A:

Clyde 4 Colorado City 2
Brownwood 13 Clyde 5
Brownwood 7 Colorado City 2

Pool B:

Coahoma 3 Post 1
Abilene Wylie 13 Coahoma 5
Abilne Wylie 7 Post 2

Pool C:

Merkel 11 Lubbock Roosevelt 6

More to follow.....

I also was told that "Skeet's" Resturants donated the bats this year ($!,200 worth). So if you live in Merkel, Sweetwater or Colorado City, stop in and have a good meal ...

STANG RED
03-03-2006, 03:24 PM
What games are being played tonight Ted?
Do you have a schedule you could post on here?

GetRDoneStangs
03-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Pool D completes Friday's schedule, starting with Lamesa vs. Pecos at 3:15 p.m. Sweetwater plays Lamesa at 5:30 p.m., then plays Pecos in the nightcap at 8 p.m.

Seven games are on tap Saturday starting at 8 a.m. The A and B pool winners meet at 4 p.m. and the C and D pool winners at 6 p.m. The two survivors play for the title at 8:30 p.m.

MHSvarsity2007
03-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Scores so far:

Pool C:

More to follow.....

I also was told that "Skeet's" Resturants donated the bats this year ($!,200 worth). So if you live in Merkel, Sweetwater or Colorado City, stop in and have a good meal ...

merkel won!! whoop!!

skeets is gooooood. i ate there yesterday :D

STANG RED
03-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Scores so far:

Pool A:

Clyde 4 Colorado City 2
Brownwood 13 Clyde 5

Pool B:

Coahoma 3 Post 1
Abilne Wylie 7 Post 2

Pool C:

More to follow.....

When did Skeet open a place in C City?

smustangs
03-03-2006, 05:19 PM
thats what i was wonderin

GetRDoneStangs
03-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
When did Skeet open a place in C City?

Just afew weeks ago.
It is called Skeets Texas Grill (Merkel & CCity)

GetRDoneStangs
03-03-2006, 06:36 PM
:eyetwitch

Headed to the ball game ...more scores to follow..

Already late..:o

GetRDoneStangs
03-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Updated scores:

Pool A:

Clyde 4 Colorado City 2
Brownwood 13 Clyde 5

Pool B:

Coahoma 3 Post 1
Abilne Wylie 7 Post 2

Pool C:

Trinity Christian 4 Lubbock Roosevelt 1
Trinity Christian 4 Merkel 2

Pool D:

Pecos 6 Lamesa 0
Sweetwater 16 Lamesa 6
Sweetwater 0 Pecos 0 (4th inning)

Hated to leave this game early, lots of great pitching and "D"..

Pecos looks very good with no runs allowed in a game a half. Did not see Wylie, Brownwood, or Trinity play but they are in the semis .. Sweetwater or Pecos to join them.. more later on

Phantom Stang
03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the update.

panther_101
03-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I hear Anchondo was suppose to male his first start for the Pecos, hes probably one of the best in west texas!!

GetRDoneStangs
03-04-2006, 12:05 AM
I don't recall who was pitching vs Sweetwater, but he looked good. LOTS of leg motion and good stuff to go with it.. Guys in the Press box that know A LOT more about baseball than I do said that the kid from Pecos was the real deal...

Phantom Stang
03-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Tiebreaker ends Mustangs' title run
By RON HOWELL/Reporter Sports Editor

Sweetwater's three-year run as champion of its Big Country Wood Bat Classic was ended by a tiebreaker late Friday.

Sweetwater and Pecos were tied, 1-1, when the game was halted after eight innings due to the time limit. Under tourn-ament rules, Pecos was awarded the win because it had the most runners safely reaching third base. As the Pool D winner, Pecos was to play Trinity Christian - the Pool C winner - on Saturday, with the survivor facing either Pool A winner Brownwood or Pool B winner Wylie for the championship.

It was a tough loss for Sweetwater, which rallied from a 1-0 deficit to tie Pecos in the seventh inning when Kendal Carrillo tripled and scored on Tripp Maxwell's single. The Mustangs played their final game against Clyde on Saturday.

Sweetwater easily defeated Lamesa its first game on Friday, 16-6, in four innings. The Mustangs scored four runs in the first inning and eight in the second to overcome leads of 2-0 and 6-4, and added four in the fourth. Brittan Pittman and Shawn Kincaid each scored three runs while Carrillo, Justin Adames, Sonny Birdwell and Maxwell scored two apiece.

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter

STANG RED
03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Anybody know how this tourny ended up?

Eagle6Man
03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
I have negative knowledge of the end result of this, but if you asked me to guess? Wylie.

panther_101
03-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Brownwood defeated Wylie
Pecos defeated Brownwood

Championship Game
Pecos 4 Brownwood 1

GetRDoneStangs
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Pecos will win their bracket, whats yalls predictions?

Pecos looks very good with no runs allowed in a game a half. Did not see Wylie, Brownwood, or Trinity play but they are in the semis .. Sweetwater or Pecos to join them.. more later on

Championship Game
Pecos 4 Brownwood 1

:clap: Congrats Pecos... on a tourny champ much deserved..

Good luck in district and maybe we will see ya in the playoffs..

Phantom Stang
03-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Did Sweetwater play any consolation games on Saturday? If so, how did they do?

GetRDoneStangs
03-05-2006, 09:37 PM
:thinking:

We played at noon.. was not able to be there.. it was abusy weekend maybe someone can post the rest of the scores..

And now here comes the Ralltlesnake Roundup and..

the Rattlesnake Relays...u may not see me much on here..

:hand: :hand:

STANG RED
03-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Did Sweetwater play any consolation games on Saturday? If so, how did they do?

Played Clyde at noon. We won, but I'm not real sure of the score. It was something like 13-6, I think.