PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! NFL mock draft

3afan
03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
post combine ......... thru Dallas

1. Houston Texans – Reggie Bush, RB, USC. It's too bad Bush didn't run in Indianapolis on what was clearly a fast track. Don't rule out a trade here. The Texans are enamored with a handful of other players, too (D'Brickashaw Ferguson, for one).

2. New Orleans Saints – Matt Leinart, QB, USC. Vince Young isn't the only one who should be worrying about Jay Cutler. The Saints were impressed with Cutler, and after skipping the combine workouts, Leinart can't afford to have a bad performance on his pro day.

3. Tennessee Titans – Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt. Word around the combine was that Norm Chow wasn't sold on Vince Young's ability to run his offense. Meanwhile, Cutler did nothing but convince some personnel people that he might be the best pocket quarterback in this draft.

4. New York Jets – D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia. Ferguson was fantastic in team interviews. But there were a handful of personnel people in Indy who got the impression the Jets like Jay Cutler quite a bit and might try to move up to get him. Don't discount a possible move to the No. 1 pick. The prevailing feeling is that this is as far back as Houston would be willing to move down.

5. Green Bay Packers – Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina State. Williams earned some respect by working out at the combine despite being a top-five pick. He looked fluid and impressive in drills, and his 4.66 40-yard dash was eye-opening for a guy who stepped in at 6-foot-7 and 295 pounds.

6. San Francisco 49ers – A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State. Some at the combine thought Hawk might be more suited for an inside position in a 3-4, but he could have the flexibility to play inside or out. One scout remarked that Hawk has the best balance and change of direction of any linebacker in the draft. It's worth mentioning that one scout insisted the 49ers want Texas cornerback/safety Michael Huff at this spot.

7. Oakland Raiders – Vince Young, QB, Texas. His combine was a mess. In hindsight, Young would have been better served if he had worked out. But he's going to have a shot to climb right back to a top-three pick at his pro day. If anyone is capable of blowing the minds of NFL people in a workout, it's Young. Conjecture suggests Al Davis' age might preclude the Raiders from taking a developmental quarterback, but Young would be too good to pass up if he falls this far. Watch Young's highlights

8. Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon. Ngata interviewed with the Bills and seems like a natural selection at this spot. He ripped off 37 reps and was clocked in the 40-yard dash anywhere from 5.1 to 5.2 seconds. That's not bad for a guy who showed up at 6-4 and 338 pounds.

9. Detroit Lions – Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas. Huff ran a blistering 40-yard dash (4.32 to 4.35 seconds) and showed top-notch lower body explosion in the broad jump and vertical (40 inches). He looked like a guy who could be a great safety (think Ronnie Lott) or a good corner.

10. Arizona Cardinals – LenDale White, RB, USC. White showed up at the combine a little heavy. One scout said he heard groans when White took his shirt off to be measured and weighed. But the buzz was that the Cardinals like him and think he'll be at his best once his pro day rolls around. The thinking is that White can be the power back to accentuate J.J. Arrington's finesse style.

11. St. Louis Rams – Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland. It's hard to imagine Davis being left out of the top 10 after his freakishly awesome combine performance, but the picks seem to be shaping up that way. About the only thing that needs a little work are his hands. One scout said Davis fought the ball a little in passing drills, but every other thing about him was off the charts.

12. Cleveland Browns – Winston Justice, OT, USC. Justice is starting to look like this year's Jammal Brown. Justice didn't run the 40, but he was very impressive in agility drills, placing at or near the top of everyone in his group. Browns general manager Phil Savage also said he believes Justice has got the chops to play left tackle. In the second round, the Browns are focusing on Florida State's Kamerion Wimbley to convert him to outside linebacker.

13. Baltimore Ravens – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis. Williams checked in at the combine at a compact 5-9 and 214 pounds, then disappointed teams by not working out. If the Ravens lose Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor in free agency and can't land a marquee back, Williams may be the next best option. Watch Williams' highlights

14. Philadelphia Eagles – Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State. He wasted a good opportunity to run on a fast track and now must contend with Florida's Chad Jackson, who is creeping up on him. Holmes measured in at a solid 5-10½ and 198 pounds, but if he doesn't run fast at his pro day, the bigger Jackson could bump him from this spot.

15. Atlanta Falcons – Jimmy Williams, CB/S, Virginia Tech. Already known for being a motor-mouth with the media, Williams came off cocky in his interview, according to one personnel man. Williams asserted that he "wants coaches to know" that he's a safety and not a corner. That's bound to rub some teams the wrong way. But if he works out fast at his pro day, he could get his wish.

16. Miami Dolphins – Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa. Greenway alarmed some when he managed only 16 reps in the bench press at the combine. It raises concern about whether he has the strength to shed blockers at the next level. But he's a favorite of Nick Saban disciple Kirk Ferentz, and the Dolphins need a young playmaking starter at outside linebacker. Alabama quarterback Brodie Croyle is the target in the second round.

17. Minnesota Vikings – Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State. Sims opened a lot of eyes in Indianapolis. After checking in at a slightly more bulked up 5-11 and 231 pounds, he was clocked between 4.46 and 4.51 seconds in the 40 and demonstrated excellent lower body explosion with a 41-inch vertical and 10-5 broad jump. Size is still an issue, but Sims plays big.

18. Dallas Cowboys – Chad Jackson, WR, Florida. There are rumbles that the Cowboys may be looking to trade back to the end of the first round and select N.C. State's Manny Lawson, who will be moved to outside linebacker. If Dallas keeps this pick, the speedy Jackson provides an eventual replacement for the aging duo of Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson. Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst is the quarterback the Cowboys are looking at in the middle rounds.

kaorder1999
03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
i just dont see him falling that far...young that is

3afan
03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
i bet he goes 3rd

Old Tiger
03-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Chad Jackson at 18...Cowboys better not pass up this oppurtunity like they Did with Moss. Chad Jackson will be great in the NFL

Chief Ohera
03-02-2006, 11:21 PM
like i have said all along, pro scouts are now beginning to realize that VY doesn't have the drop back stay in the pocket qb mentality that all nfl teams look for these days,
he is overrated and just b/c he can run around and pass b/t average secondaries doesn't mean that it well happen in the league b/c i can promise one thing,
mr. vy will have a rude awakening.
so brothers that's all i have for now, so stay tuned and keep your eyes alert for the CHIEF
until next time.............

GreenMonster
03-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
like i have said all along, pro scouts are now beginning to realize that VY doesn't have the drop back stay in the pocket qb mentality that all nfl teams look for these days,
he is overrated and just b/c he can run around and pass b/t average secondaries doesn't mean that it well happen in the league b/c i can promise one thing,
so brothers that's all i have for now, so stay tuned and keep your eyes alert for the CHIEF

Who let the Chief out of the bathroom? He got diarrhea all over my screen again!

BreckTxLonghorn
03-03-2006, 01:10 AM

If Vince doesn't go 3, he'll go 7. And that's because the other teams either have a future QB in place (GB, SF) or are still determining what to do with theirs (NYJ). VY has his own style, and its understandable for some to want a traditional QB like Cutler instead of a more by-the-heels quarterback. But its more about preference than style. Look at Aaron Rodgers last year. Arguably the best QB in the draft, but SF wanted otherwise, and because the other teams didn't need a QB, he fell.

Vince has the athleticism to be great at whatever he does. It all comes down now to who wants to fit him in.

Adidas410s
03-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Here is what Mel Kiper wrote today on ESPN about Jay Cutler...

Quarterback

Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt (6-4, 230)
He is fast becoming one of the most overhyped players in this draft. Cutler was OK, but not great, at the Senior Bowl, but he's drawing all these rave reviews at the NFL scouting combine. He hasn't done anything at the combine that has wowed me to move him up in the draft.

Jay Cutler is going to be a top-15 pick, but does not rank as high QBs Matt Leinart or Vince Young.
Cutler hasn't improved his draft position by what he did at the Senior Bowl or combine. He had a good senior season and finished strong. If you like Cutler based on how he finished the season, that's fine, but don't think that he's moved up dramatically based on the Senior Bowl and combine.

He's going to go in the top 15 of the first round and might even go in the top five. But what he's done since the season ended doesn't put him up with Matt Leinart or Vince Young.

I still have him in the top 10 of the draft, but you shouldn't think he'll be a top-three pick.

Old Tiger
03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
You're a moron they're looking for more elusive QB's to get away from the pressure