PDA

View Full Version : Wylie

Eagle6Man
03-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Children of Dyess commanders, prison wardens don't have to pay fee

By Sidney Levesque / levesques@reporternews.com
March 2, 2006

The children of Dyess Air Force Base commanders and the French Robertson Unit wardens can transfer into Wylie schools, even if they don't live in the district.

Wylie's policy raised some eyebrows when it was mentioned at a recent meeting of the Boundary Committee, which is redrawing school zones in the Abilene Independent School District.

Dyess is in the 16,680-student AISD, which is struggling with declining enrollment. The prison is in the Clyde school district.

In the past, Wylie officials have said they do not accept transfers. However, exceptions are made for employees' children and high school seniors whose parents move out of the district.

The Wylie school board approved the transfer policy change in 2003 at the request of Col. Garrett Harencak, who was the 7th Bomb Wing's vice commander at the time. He is now the commander. His children attend AISD, which he praises as one of the best districts in the country.

The French Robertson Unit was added to the policy change because at the time the prison warden had children in Wylie schools, said Wylie Superintendent Don Harrison. Wardens and assistant wardens are not required to live at French Robertson, but they are highly encouraged to, said a Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokeswoman.

Harencak said he requested the Wylie policy change on behalf of Dyess families. One Dyess commander involved had children who previously attended Wylie schools, but his new assignment required him to move on base.

''Children of military members change schools often, and any stability in a military child's education is greatly appreciated,'' Harencak said.

The AISD school board president and superintendent learned about the policy from the Reporter-News this week. At first, Superintendent David Polnick said he was shocked. Later, he said he supports the commander's efforts to provide stability for military children.

''Col. Harencak has been very supportive of our schools,'' Polnick said.

The commander recited the Pledge of Allegiance at AISD's convocation this school year. When he was introduced, he received a standing ovation from school employees.

The base leadership has worked hard to make their relationship with AISD one of the best in the military, and the Wylie transfer policy doesn't change that, Harencak said.

The policy says students whose parents' supervisory roles require them to live on base or at French Robertson northeast of Abilene can apply to transfer in tuition-free to Wylie. The 2,900-student district in south Abilene is brimming with new development.

Wylie has gained a handful of children from the policy change.

At the time of the policy change, Harencak said about 10 families were living on base as required.

As many as 18 top base supervisors are required to live on base, but some can apply for waivers, a base spokesman said. These key positions, referred to as ''mission essential,'' include senior commanders, the command chief, inspector general, fire chief and deputy commanders.

Harrison said the policy was meant to apply only to the top two or three people at Dyess.

:thinking: :thinking:

STANG RED
03-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Yea. :thinking: hmmmmm!

Adidas410s
03-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I know that the "story" with the French Robertson warden was because of the housing issue. Up through his oldest daughter's junior year they lived in the middle of Wylie schools but once TDCJ "suggested" he take the free housing at the prison...he did so. To point out, his kids now had to drive from about 5-10 miles north of Abilene all the way out to Abilene because of this change. I must ask...would you turn down free housing???

pero chato
03-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Why is this a "hmmm" issue? Being a military brat myself and having attended three different schools in one year, I wish we had this option available to us.

mrescape43
03-02-2006, 02:19 PM
It wouldn't be a problem if it were to all military personnel at Dyess or all TDCJ employees. This reads like a favor to a buddy type of situation! IMO:thinking:

Eagle6Man
03-02-2006, 02:22 PM
My :thinking: :thinking: Isn't about military families per se.

My question is the precedent that WISD has for other families that may or may not fit this specific profile.

In other words, can Abilene Wylie move people (students) in and around WISD for reasons like football?????

Additionally, it seems the upper echelon of people gets to choose...
More of a the "haves" and "have nots" It looks prejudicial...is all.

Just got me to thinking is all.

pero chato
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
It wouldn't be a problem if it were to all military personnel at Dyess or all TDCJ employees. This reads like a favor to a buddy type of situation! IMO:thinking:

ALL military personnel are not required to live on base, nor or ALL TDCJ personnel "strongly encouraged" to live on site, apparently this applies only to the top dogs. Everyone else can live where they choose, whether it be Abilene district or Merkel or Wylie, etc. The point of the proposal was to allow kids to stay in one school and not have to change because of a mandated move (by the military or TDCJ) to a different district. There is no "buddy" situation because Base Commanders and Wardens frequently change.

pero chato
03-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
My :thinking: :thinking: Isn't about military families per se.

My question is the precedent that WISD has for other families that may or may not fit this specific profile.

In other words, can Abilene Wylie move people (students) in and around WISD for reasons like football?????

Additionally, it seems the upper echelon of people gets to choose...
More of a the "haves" and "have nots" It looks prejudicial...is all.

Just got me to thinking is all.

Again, there is no conspiracy here. Did you read where it said that Wylie has only added a handful of students in the three years since this rule was approved? How is it prejudicial to give the base commanders kids a choice when they have no choice where they live? Everyone else has a choice to live off base and attend any school they wish. The rule gives the "upper echelon" as you call them, the same choice as everyone else. So if anything, this rule makes it fair for everyone.

Adidas410s
03-02-2006, 02:41 PM

Notice that Wylie isn't "moving people around" by any means. This became an "issue" because some people that ALREADY HAD THEIR KIDS IN WYLIE SCHOOLS were forced to relocate to a different part of town by a government entity. The ISD just offered them the ability to keep their kids at the same school as opposed to moving them to another district. Heck if anything some around here should be happy because it kept more kids in the district and thus a greater chance of us moving into 4A! :thumbsup: Also, the warden's youngest son was on the football team but didn't play much so you couldn't make the case of Wylie "recruiting" top athletes.

Eagle6Man
03-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Adidas,

Thanks for a more complete explaination.
I didn't mean to imply Wylie had done anything illeagle, I was just wondering if this was a potential "loophole" for the future.

I like the dress by the way.:D

Adidas410s
03-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Adidas,

Thanks for a more complete explaination.
I didn't mean to imply Wylie had done anything illeagle, I was just wondering if this was a potential "loophole" for the future.

I like the dress by the way.:D

laces out baby...:thumbsup:

mrescape43
03-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Notice that Wylie isn't "moving people around" by any means. This became an "issue" because some people that ALREADY HAD THEIR KIDS IN WYLIE SCHOOLS were forced to relocate to a different part of town by a government entity. The ISD just offered them the ability to keep their kids at the same school as opposed to moving them to another district. Heck if anything some around here should be happy because it kept more kids in the district and thus a greater chance of us moving into 4A! :thumbsup: Also, the warden's youngest son was on the football team but didn't play much so you couldn't make the case of Wylie "recruiting" top athletes.

If this is the case, they should have just made an exception for the students involved and let them finish school. This way they would not have had to create a new rule for them. Like the earlier poster I am not implying any wrong doing.

pero chato
03-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
If this is the case, they should have just made an exception for the students involved and let them finish school. This way they would not have had to create a new rule for them. Like the earlier poster I am not implying any wrong doing.

The rule eliminates the possibility of having to make exceptions every year. For example, if a person is promoted to base commander and is forced to move on base, then they at least have the choice to leave their kids at Wylie -- IF they were already there to begin with. Same scenario for the prison warden's kids. This potentially could happen every year or so, as commanders and wardens come and go. The bottom line is - not everyone will take avantage of the rule, apparently the current base commander's kids are happy at Abilene High.

Chief Ohera
03-02-2006, 07:04 PM
plain and simple cheats enrollment #'s
until next time............

MHSvarsity2007
03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
plain and simple cheats enrollment #'s
until next time............

here we go again... :rolleyes:

Adidas410s
03-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
here we go again... :rolleyes:

nah injured is out of town (i think) and everybody knows Chief's mental capacity hasn't increased since conception...so no worries here! ;)

mrescape43
03-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
nah injured is out of town (i think) and everybody knows Chief's mental capacity hasn't increased since conception...so no worries here! ;) :evillaugh :thumbsup:

injuredinmelee
03-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I knew I could count on Adam (Chief) to temporarily pull his head out of his backend to post a cheating comment.

Wait til we add turf and have soem coaches that do not have to teach a class. Full time football coaches i like it!!!