PDA

View Full Version : Good Movings Coming on TV!

Phil C
03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
One is today and it may be too late for you to see it or record it and I just found out and it is River of No Return starring Robert Mitchum, Marilyn Monroe, Rory Calhoun (star of Dawn at Socorro) and Tommy Rettig (young boy in tv series Lassie) and directed by Otto Preminger. It is in color and deals with Calhoun deserting Monroe, Mitchum, and Rettig to Apaches. They have to flee by raft up on the river and that is where most of the story takes place. It is in beautiful color and the scenery and acting are first rate and is highly recommened. If you miss it they show it regularly and I will let you know about it. Also dont' miss out on getting to see the beautiful 28 year old Marilyn Monroe. :)

Also there are several good Audie Murphy Westersn coming this month. He was a good actor and made many good westerns even though Hollywood never really used his talents and today he is still very much underated as an actor. What is encouraging is that there are some of his better movies shown instead of the poorer ones that are shown over and over on the western channel. They are

No Name on the Bullet this Saturday (March 4) on TCM at 11:00 A.M. This movie really shows that he could act and he is terrific as a good/bad guy before Clint made the Italian movies. His performance is outstanding and the movie also has a top notch cast including Charles Drake and Warren Stevens. Don't miss this great movie.

The real Audie Murphy treats are some of his great movies coming on AMC on March 11 (Saturday) that aren't shown very often. They are

Destry at 8 A.M. made in 1955. A remake of the great James Stewart movie but this one is in color and Murphy is very good in the lead role and includes a great supporting cast which includes Thomas Mitchel and Alan Hale Jr. (Skipper on Gilligan's Island).
Gunsmoke at 10:00 A.M. made in 1953 which also stars Charles Drake.
And on AMC but on March 30 (Thursday)
Seven Ways from Sundown made in 1960 at 1:15 P.M. which is a good western. Muphy plays a Texas Ranger who has to bring in an outlaw (Barry Sullivan) with whom he befriends.

I wish they could get some of these other great Murphy westerns on tv which include Ride Clear of Diablo (with Dan Duryea who is great in this movie), Tumbleweed which also stars Chill Wills, Duel at Silver Creek with Steven McNally. It would also be great to see his last movie 1969s A Time for Dying where Murphy plays the retired gunfighter Jesse James.

Also tomorrow (March 3) AMC is showing the John Wayne moive The High and the Mighty at 11:30 A.M. and on Friday (3-10-06) they are showing another John Wayne movie Island in the Sky also on AMC at 9:15 A.M. These are great movies and have not been on tv for a long time so we are in for a treat!

Eagle6Man
03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Phil,

I appreciate the heads up on these classic movies.

I think those era of movies had the best plots, color, and story lines ever. Thanks for bringing them to the forefront.

Phil C
03-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
Phil,

I appreciate the heads up on these classic movies.

I think those era of movies had the best plots, color, and story lines ever. Thanks for bringing them to the forefront.

Thank you Eagle. I really appreciate TCM, AMC, Western Channel and other channels for making these older movies (and not just westerns) available to us but there are so many that haven't been available and should be seen. It is great that they are working on getting them available

Ranger Mom
03-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Phil C found him a "TV Movie Soulmate"!!:D

Eagle6Man
03-02-2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/3/b70-1756

Never let it be said Longhorns and Aggies can't get along..:D

Phil C
03-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Fantastic Eagle! :)

Phil C
03-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/3/b70-1756

Never let it be said Longhorns and Aggies can't get along..:D

I agree Eagle. I am sure you feel as I do that we are just friendly rivals rather than enemies even though some may take exception to that. Fantastic signature!

STANG RED
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
You guys aint gonna start swappin spit are ya?:kiss:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry guys. I just couldnt resist.:p

Eagle6Man
03-03-2006, 01:14 PM
HAHAHAHAHA....

Nah, I ain't into orange spit that much..lmao