PDA

View Full Version : Need Restaurant Help

SWMustang
02-28-2006, 09:12 AM
I go to Austin and San Antonio once a month. Trying to find some new restaurants to hit. Went to Paisanos (sp?) last night in San Antonio. It wasn't really that great. Could of went to the olive garden for about half the price. I think we're oing to try the Chili parlor in Austin tonight. What are you fav's in these two cities?

LH Panther Mom
02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
I would have to ask what type of food you like, what area of Austin & how much you want to spend.

HighSchool Fan
02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
depending on how you go to San Antonio you could stop in Kerrville and eat at Mamacita's or stop in Leon Springs and eat at Rudy's. 2 great places

SWMustang
02-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I would have to ask what type of food you like, what area of Austin & how much you want to spend.

Not too particular. Dinner is on the company so price isn't too much of a factor. If it's real expensive I just scale back a little in the other city. One thing I'm a little leary of is Chinese food. I like PF Changs, but some of these places - you're a little worried about what your eating. If I new they were serving grade A Lab or Golden Retriever - well of course I'm there.

STANG RED
02-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
depending on how you go to San Antonio you could stop in Kerrville and eat at Mamacita's

They have one in Fredricksburg and one in San Marcos also. They are great.

You can never go wrong with Papadous. I know I spelled that wrong.

SWMustang
02-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
depending on how you go to San Antonio you could stop in Kerrville and eat at Mamacita's or stop in Leon Springs and eat at Rudy's. 2 great places

I don't make it through Kerrville, but the Rudy's your talking about, is that the same Rudy's BBQ chain they have in Austin and San Antonio? I love me some Rudy's!

HighSchool Fan
02-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I don't make it through Kerrville, but the Rudy's your talking about, is that the same Rudy's BBQ chain they have in Austin and San Antonio? I love me some Rudy's!

Probably the same Rudy's. I think Leon Springs is the orginal.

SWMustang
02-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
They have one in Fredricksburg and one in San Marcos also. They are great.

You can never go wrong with Papadous. I know I spelled that wrong.

What kind of Cajun are you Stang? Ya gotta throw an EAUX - on the end of things to make it cajun - I like that place too. :)

SWMustang
02-28-2006, 09:26 AM
NMSG

LH Panther Mom
02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Trudy's for Mexican....Iron Cactus is good if you're on 6th, but parking is horrid.

Further west on 6th, there's a good Italian place called Rocco's.

Eddie V's is good, but a little pricey.

If you like Chinese, Suzy's is my favorite...the one on Anderson Lane.

STANG RED
02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Not too particular. Dinner is on the company so price isn't too much of a factor. If it's real expensive I just scale back a little in the other city. One thing I'm a little leary of is Chinese food. I like PG changs, but some of these places - you're a little worried about what your eating. If I new they were serving grade A Lab or Golden Retriever - well of course I'm there.

I dont know the name of it, but they have great Chinese at the restaurant next to the Drury Inn at Wurzbach & I-10 in San Antonio. The poodle & pomeranian is always fresh and they have a special on siemese cat on the weekends.:D
Seriously though. It is very good.

Remember, there are always Hooters and Dick's, down on the river walk.

HighSchool Fan
02-28-2006, 09:32 AM
The poodle & pomeranian is always fresh and they have a special on siemese cat on the weekends.:D

now that's funny :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Snyder_TigerFan
02-28-2006, 09:37 AM
What are the two well know places on Lake Travis? Carlos and Charlies and The Oasis? One of them burned down a few years back, but I think I heard it was back in business. I went to the Oasis about 5/6 years ago, I remember it being pretty good food, good atmosphere and an awesome view.

SWMustang
02-28-2006, 09:41 AM
I dont know the name of it, but they have great Chinese at the restaurant next to the Drury Inn at Wurzbach & I-10 in San Antonio. The poodle & pomeranian is always fresh and they have a special on siemese cat on the weekends.:D

I'll have to make a special trip on a weekend to catch the Siamese Cat special;)

To be honest, I'm not too impressed with Hooters wings. I go every now and then to see if they've gotten any better - not to look at the Hooter-iffic women :kiss:

Used to have a Hooters around the corner from my office - kind of in the 'hood. Seeing an 8 month pregnant waitress in a hooter outfit kind of ruins it for you. No disrespect for any pregnant women, past or present, but I think you need to give the Hooter's gig up in the third trimester.

SWMustang
02-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
What are the two well know places on Lake Travis? Carlos and Charlies and The Oasis? One of them burned down a few years back, but I think I heard it was back in business. I went to the Oasis about 5/6 years ago, I remember it being pretty good food, good atmosphere and an awesome view.

It was the oasis that burned down about a year or two ago. I've been there a couple of times. As you said, the view was outstanding.

HighSchool Fan
02-28-2006, 09:47 AM
speaking of Hooters, next time in the dallas area, go up to lewisville and try this place out http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/

pero chato
02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
On sixth street in Austin, the Boiling Pot or Jazz. For bar-b-que in Austin, County Line or Stubbs. Not that impressed with Rudy's.
For fancy seafood, Trulocks (sp?).

KTJ
02-28-2006, 10:23 AM
For Mexican food in Austin--

- Matt's El Rancho - on South Lamar

- Juan in a Million - on east Cesar Chavez (i think)

- Azul Tequila - South Austin location off of Ben White and Lamar (in the shopping center next to Target)

BBQ

- The Salt Lick - it's in Driftwood, TX

American

- Hoovers - On Manor Road down the street from the UIL Headquaters (you'll love it if you like Southern cooking)

- Hut's Hamburgers - on 6th street

- EZ's Diner - on Lamar and 38th??? (somewhere in that vacinity)

Snyder_TigerFan
02-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
BBQ

- The Salt Lick - it's in Driftwood, TX

:thumbsup:
Forgot about that place. It's BYOB too.

DU_stud04
02-28-2006, 10:41 AM
alamo cafre in san antonio....i think its even rated like top 5 resturants in texas.....i recommend it to everyone, great atmosphere and the food is good

STANG RED
02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I had Italian at Michelino's on the river walk last weekend. It was fantastic. It's the real deal to. very authentic.

Phantom Stang
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Threadgill's in Austin is hard to beat, when it comes to homestyle cookin'.

Blastoderm55
02-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Austin:
Player's (burgers)
Freebird's (burritos)
Baby A's (mexican)
Romeo's (italian)
Kevin's Cookies and Deli (everything)

Avoid La Traviata and Papasito's at all costs.

DUKE22
02-28-2006, 01:19 PM
The best BBQ I have ever had is Sams in Austin it is about a mile and a half from the drum. This is not the nicest place but man it is good!!!

KTJ
02-28-2006, 01:22 PM
If you think Baby A's is good Mexican food, then you have bad taste.

District303aPastPlayer
02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Papadeaux is good.
In SA, if you want good Mexican, go downtown to the trio owned by the same guy.
La Margarita
Pico de Gallo
Mi Tierra

also, dont go to the Alamo Cafe on I-10... go to the one on 281. I-10s ALamo Cafe sucks.

Buccaneer
02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
If Baby A's is Baby Acapulco, I think they have great food.

Blastoderm55
02-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
If Baby A's is Baby Acapulco, I think they have great food.

Sure is. Their puffy tacos remind me of flea market gorditas. Bad taste, my ass. You want Mexican food with bad taste, go to Pappasito's or Abuelo's.

SintonFan
02-28-2006, 04:13 PM

You're talking about the China Sea right behind the Mama Margie's(which is a better version of ack ack Taco Cabana). China Sea is good during their busy periods, lunch is better with their fresh Mongolian BBQ.

SWMustang
02-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Thnaks for all the ideas. When I make it to one of these I'll pretend I'm a food critic and give some feedback.

sinton66
02-28-2006, 09:37 PM
I go to Austin and San Antonio once a month. Trying to find some new restaurants to hit. Went to Paisanos (sp?) last night in San Antonio. It wasn't really that great. Could of went to the olive garden for about half the price. I think we're oing to try the Chili parlor in Austin tonight. What are you fav's in these two cities?

In the San Antonio area, try the Grey Moss Inn out on the old scenic loop. (out near Boerne). Great steaks, great atmosphere, hard to find!

For great Tex-Mex, try the Casa Rio downtown on the river. Riverside dining at it's best.

cdlvj
03-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
For great Tex-Mex, try the Casa Rio downtown on the river. Riverside dining at it's best.

And the price is very reasonable for being on RW.

cdlvj
03-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Next to Casa Rio is Shilos, german food. I eat lunch there at least once a week.

Austin
http://www.austin360.com/ has listings and some reviews.

Texas Rib King off 183/Burnet Road. As one of the reviewers said, can be absolutely great, but sometimes bad.

Trudys - Burnet Road and another near the 71/Mopac X

Kerby Lane - several locations

Madam Nam's on drag around 24th - good Thai food

Magnolia Cafe out past 6th under Mopac on the right
Continue and on left are some more on Lake Austin, higher cost and usually hard to find parking spaces. Nice atomosphere.

Smoky Jo's on 6th - got food poisioning here very very sick.

Blastoderm55
03-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Oh, another great place in Austin is Smokey Bones. They're right by the Metropolitan. Great BBQ and TVs within viewing distance no matter where you sit. Great pulled pork.